Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 hour drinking in UK

• 14-07-2012 11:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened with 24 hour drinking in the UK. I remember a lot of apocolyptic predictions about it being introduced, then it was introduced and it outrage faded away.

Was it a success?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Whatever happened with 24 hour drinking in the UK. I remember a lot of apocolyptic predictions about it being introduced, then it was introduced and it outrage faded away.

Was it a success?

I would imagine most people faded before hour 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Last time I was there it was still going. And guess what? The whole population don't spend every waking hour getting locked. People get tired and go home when they are ready to rather than being herded out onto the streets at the same hour causing gatherings of drunks who've done 5 red bull and vodkas in the previous hour just to get smashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The rules attached to the premises along with staff costs made it too expensive for the average boozer. Even the bigger establishments only extended their hours a wee bit and mostly only at the weekends. The majority of the licences ended up with the supermarket chains.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I really don't see why they can't stop serving at 2, all drink needs to be consumed by 3, but then stay open until 5 (selling non alcoholic stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

antodeco wrote: »
    I really don't see why they can't stop serving at 2, all drink needs to be consumed by 3, but then stay open until 5 (selling non alcoholic stuff)

Id guess that the majority of people would leave between 2 and 3 which defeats the purpose of extending opening hours.

• Advertisement

My brother's a publican in London and says most folks simply can't be bothered. The staff don't wanna do it, the landlords don't wanna do it (considering that most pub landlords and some of the staff live upstairs from the premises), the neighbors don't want it, and believe it or not the punters gotta go to bed for work in the morning too, so it's really not worth your while for 99% of pubs.

And basically if you're really out looking to get hammered cos you're so unhappy or dissatisfied with your life or whatever and you really can't do it before 11 o'clock at night, then you're probably doing it wrong. You will after all find an early house open at 07.00 in some market area if this really bothers you so much, right?

Plus the fact that as most pubs are in residential areas it can affect the value of the pub (in the UK anyway). Residents can object to your license, which in turn affects the value of other neighbors property.

What I really think is the ultimate irony though is that all this was legalized the same week that George Best died. Can you imagine him on his death bed watching the TV news announcing it? "Oh please dear merciful Jesus, just give me one more week I beg you!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I think it is a much more sensible approach rather than lumping everyone out!

It would allow people to enjoy their night and pace it better.

Besides who in their right mind would wanna go out at 9 and stay out till 6!! My bank balance (and liver) wouldn't be up to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

let the offie stay open I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Beer only after 2pm. Kickout at 3.30.

Advertisement