Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900 Dying - Upgrade Path?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately after many years of loyal service, my N900 is in such a state where it is no longer usable (headphone jack is broken, kickstand is broken, screen in a poor state and now the keyboard slider won't stick into place). I understand that while the N900 will be the last device to use Maemo, there is still some development happening with Meego? Has anyone made the transition from Maemo to Meego? Is it much different, does it still provide basically the same functionality? I have looked at the Nokia N9 as an alternative, but unfortunately this doesn't have a slideout keyboard (probably a deal breaker for me). The only other alternative seems to be getting the N950, but Googling tells me that this isn't even commercially available? This leaves me with a pretty big dilemma as to what my upgrade path might be.

What I need.
    • A slideout keyboard.
    • Decent build quality.
    • Linux-based with a terminal window.
    • Remote log-in capability.
    What I'd like.
    • A decent camera.
    Can anyone make a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No one? :o

I see that a N950 has popped up on ebay. The only problem is that the final selling price is likely to be nearly £1000.

Can I really justify spending £1k on a phone when I can get a second hand N900 for about €150? Going to e-mail Elop.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-keyboard-qwerty-android-phones-2012-55315/

Any of these, with a few apps is all you need. With connectbot/similar you can SSH, TELNET, FTP etc. I dont know your specific needs but the chances are there is an app for whatever you need to connect to. Teamviewer have an android client now too if you wanted RDP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the problem is that most people avoided the N900 route, so have no experience to offer you.

Rather than looking for a specific device, you might be better saying what you want from it for in more detail. A different device like a tablet or netbook might be more appropriate.

I am loathe to leave Maemo/Meego as I am a hacker at heart and would lose the power to do Unix scripting natively on my device. Guess I will just go down the route of getting another N900 although I really would love to have a capacitive screen, multi touch and more RAM to play around with. Oh, and it's awesome to have an FM Transmitter and it's really handy to use as a portable flash drive (you don't even have to power the device to read files on it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would something like a Milestone 2 on Android work for you?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_milestone_2-3495.php

Or you can search on "Milestone 2 Linux"

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

I see that a N950 has popped up on ebay. The only problem is that the final selling price is likely to be nearly £1000.

Can I really justify spending £1k on a phone when I can get a second hand N900 for about €150? Going to e-mail Elop.

The reason why the N950 is so dear is because it was only a developers device and wasn't available commercially. Lovely looking and sounding phone though!

The reason why the N950 is so dear is because it was only a developers device and wasn't available commercially. Lovely looking and sounding phone though!
    I know, it's a shame because the N950 looks the business and would suit me perfectly. :mad:

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I am going down the route of buying a refurbished N900 from a Hong Kong based seller. Nokia have become a joke - a device that everyone wants, they refuse to sell. A device that no one wants, they spend 100's of millions trying to ram down people's throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've recently upgraded from the N900 to the S3. While I loved my N900 and it was still working fine, it was starting to feel it's age in terms of processing power.

The S3 is a beast of a phone and while I do miss the keyboard at times, so far I haven't really found any functionality that I didn't have on my N900 that I can't have with the S3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I picked up an N900 on launch and loved it for what it did at the time. I've since jumped ship to android and have no regrets. Nokia are not the company they once were. After getting my hands on HTC sensation and Galaxy Nexus my Nokia days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WinP7 put the nail in the coffin for them, which is a shame, they were great back in the day.

Advertisement