Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland can't afford to be members of CERN?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ireland should build its own version of cern,seriously.

We could train thousands of scientists and make huge discoveries that could help our economy.
    yes we could easily repeat stuff already done but to push the boundaries you need a bigger atom smasher

It's like trying to investigate the performance of transatlantic aircraft when all you have are piston engined aircraft. Even if you develop a better piston engined aircraft it won't be able to fly high enough to avoid the weather and get to the thin air where drag is lower or benefit from the jetstream , it won't have the thermal efficiency of a jet, it won't have the service interval of a jet - B36 meant changing 576 spark plugs almost every flight :eek: - the engines would weigh more than the payload if you try for a decent cruising speed. if you optimise for distance you will be in the air twice as long, so twice as many crew, twice as many meals, half as many journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not only are we not in CERN we still have Steorn and their 'Orbo energy' still operating here. :mad::mad::mad:

some solar panels are down to 99 cents a watt, and that's US cents

Work a few doors down from those lads, find it hard to not piss my self laughing every day when I walk past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And do what? Collide Guinness with Bulmers to find the God Pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Looking at some of the comments to that article is genuinely depressing:

Meanwhile, there's no problem in spending tens of thousands on fcuking ties for the EU presidency that no one gives a sh!t about.

if only it stopped at the ties.......

EU Presidency to cost Ireland €70m

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ojeyaumhgbkf/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

bgrizzley wrote: »
    if only it stopped at the ties.......

EU Presidency to cost Ireland €70m

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ojeyaumhgbkf/[/QUOTE]

billions have been spent on ties........it's like cutting the grass.....useless..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Its my opinion that the nature of party politics in this country come are put before the well being of the country as a whole. The political parties use of the party whip system ensure that the system isnt going to change anytime soon either. It would be laughable if I didnt live here!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

Fair enough. I'm not sure why the media are spinning it as if Ireland are being left out in the cold in that case.

https://ert.cern.ch/browse_www/wd_portal.show_page?p_web_site_id=1&p_text_id=10

They may make exceptions for individuals with very specific expertise but policy is to not even consider citizens from non-member states. When applying for some slightly less glamorous positions, their recruitment people confirmed this for me: "we cannot accept applications from non-Member State nationals for staff posts".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on a per job basis , would joining CERN have been cheaper than FÁS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

on a per job basis , would joining CERN have been cheaper than FÁS ?

I think by this stage we could have had an LHC in every county with the amount of money FAS has got :mad:.

Seriously, would be good to see Ireland become a full member of Cern. Also, it would be nice to see politicians talking about science on its own merits, rather than just being sock-puppets for the pharma-industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

We could train thousands of scientists and make huge discoveries that could help our economy.
    Relax, we're at it already. Things are progressing nicely. All the kids in first class are bringing in empty toilet roll casings and all the kids in second are bringing in duct tape. If we can only find one of them small fans from a laptop(Miley Rogers from Third is on the lookout) and some magnets from a few speakers(the local scrappies wants a fiver, so we're negotiating), everything is set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yep, we need anti-higgs boson death ray guns for everyone !

Is that done my reversing the the partial beam?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Is that done my reversing the the partial beam?
    It's just the opposite of mass. Devil worship and such I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

This is the biggest scientific cutting edge stuff going on in the world at the min. We are not part of it. What is wrong with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

And do what? Collide Guinness with Bulmers to find the God Pint?
    I've done that......the outcome is far from divine :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I was very disappointed a few months ago when I couldn't apply for an internship because we weren't members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i applied for a job at CERN's vast IT department but was turned down because Ireland is not a member country.

spin off research and development in particle physics will lead to the next revolution in computing.

If we hold any significance for the so called knowledge economy then we need to be a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

CERN were in Galway today for a bit of fundraising.
    It all looked pretty cool tbh. i can see some pressure being put on the government to join up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

CERN were in Galway today for a bit of fundraising.
    It all looked pretty cool tbh. i can see some pressure being put on the government to join up...

Surely you mean ConCERN?

Advertisement