Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to let my nails grow

• 14-07-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi all

Im a nail biter and hate the look of my nails, I am constantly trying to stop but can never seem to manage.

I have tried the horrible tasting nail polish but just find even if I am eating a sambo I can taste it still

I have tried Shellac and I have to say if I didnt pick it off after the 1st 2 days it may work

Just wondering if any one has any advice that worked for them to stop biting them?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Cut them short. I know it seems to work against what you want, but the harder it is to get them in your mouth, the less likely you are to bite them. Keep them well rounded as well. I haven't bitten my nails much in 11 years but if there's a sharp edge on one of them, I have to bite it off. So short and smooth works well. Obviously you can let them grow little by little over time but stopping biting them first is the most important thing.

I know you said Shellac didn't work but if it stops you biting your nails for two days then that's good. I find even regular nail polish can work well. Peeling it off instead of biting your nails works well. It doesn't matter if you have to redo your nails every evening, it will be worth it if you can stop chewing on them.

I still think plain old incentive is the best thing you can do. If you can stop biting your nails for a week/two weeks/a month, then you'll allow yourself to buy something expensive that you want but normally isn't worth the money. That's what I did to train myself out of it.

Best of luck anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

keep them short and try sally hansens nail strengthener it will help them grow strong and thick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The only thing that worked for me-a nail biter to the very core-was getting gel put on them. Its hard gel, as opposed to Shellac.

Maintenance is every 3/4 weeks at a cost of bout e35. It does soften the nails underneath, but I figured I wouldnt have nails anyways as I bite them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

thanks all, my nails are very short they never get the chance to grow long so no fear with keeping them short

is there a strong nail varnish some one can recommend if I was to buy it and apply myself probably daily cos im constantly biting / picking it off

half the time I have my nail bit before I even realise my hand is in my mouth which is the biggest problem, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

dellas1979 wrote: »
    The only thing that worked for me-a nail biter to the very core-was getting gel put on them. Its hard gel, as opposed to Shellac.

Maintenance is every 3/4 weeks at a cost of bout e35. It does soften the nails underneath, but I figured I wouldnt have nails anyways as I bite them.

I'm not a nail biter but the gelish 3 week polish has definitely strengthened my nails that used to be very soft and broke easily. Funny enough shellac had the exact opposite effect and my nails used to be ruined after getting it removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

lubie76 wrote: »
    I'm not a nail biter but the gelish 3 week polish has definitely strengthened my nails that used to be very soft and broke easily. Funny enough shellac had the exact opposite effect and my nails used to be ruined after getting it removed.

Never heard of gellish! Is it a polish as opposed to the normal gel nails?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

keep them short and try sally hansens nail strengthener it will help them grow strong and thick..

Second this.

Sally Hansen nail strengthener is fab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

dellas1979 wrote: »
    lubie76 wrote: »

Never heard of gellish! Is it a polish as opposed to the normal gel nails?

Yes, its a polish. It's kinda similar type thing to shellac type nail polish with uv lamp to set but contains more gel and therefore lasts longer. As it covers your nails completely and doesn't chip it acts like a barrier for your nails. I find with shellac if there is even a small chip that part of the nail tends to break.

Advertisement