Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog Just ate Slug pellets ??

• 14-07-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

What will I do ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Call your vet for advice immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Get off the internet - Phone - vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They are poisonous, can you induce vomiting? GET TO A VET ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Thanks for replies, googled it after posting, and set about trying to make him puke !!
    Poured half a ballygown bottle of salty water into him....no joy!!!
    Then put spoon of salt on the back of his tongue, no joy !
    Kept observing him all this time....no change...

Googled re slug pellets....seems he ate less harmless ones???? the iron phospahte ones not methalhyde ones ??? Seemingly phosphate ones taste like cereal to dogs and slugs ??
    I hate any kinda chemicals/slug pellets/insect sprays, but the OH insisted on them as slugs are in overload this yr. Wont be using them again now.

Anyhow brought dog to the beach after an hour and a half and he ran and ran and ran. We knew he had a wrought iron stomach from all that he eats but this one beats it handsdown !!! He's unreal ( a terrier cross )

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Just need to deal with the salt poisoning now..

• Advertisement

Dont worry we were thinking the same thing ourselves......

Forgot to add i gave him mustard in his tea after the salt and no joy ! ps by tea i mean the caffine variety !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Forgot to add i gave him mustard in his tea after the salt and no joy ! ps by tea i mean the caffine variety !

Caffeine is also poisonous for dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Im starting to think the dog is safer just eating the slug pellets.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Not all substances can be safely vomited up by a dog, OP, and depending on how long the substance has been in the stomach, inducing vomiting may not make any difference. Depending on the poison, giving activated charcoal or gastric lavage (having his stomach pumped) might be the better course of action.

With the mustard I think you probably just burned the tongue off the poor dog, and with all that salt you've thrown off his electrolyte balance.

Next time, give your vet a bell. Even if it's the weekend or late at night, if you think it is an emergency, the vet will advise you whether you need to bring the dog in for treatment or not. He won't charge you for the phone call. :)

• Advertisement

Same dog is still alive and well and happy out as usual,
    despite his and 'my' supposed attempts to poison him !!
    Thanks for advice all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Sorry but this kind of reads like you risked your dog's health in order to save a few quid by not calling a vet.

The internet is great but in the event of an emergency the first place you should be heading is trained professionals, not answers.yahoo.com or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is a few slug pellets an emergency???
    I remember an elderly neighbour years ago using a syringe of Fairy Liquid to induce vomitting in any of her numerous cats that had eaten poison of one sort or another. No fatalities! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

sudzs wrote: »
    Is a few slug pellets an emergency??!
    :eek: Of course they are.

Slug pellets contain metaldehyde,which in enough quantity will effect the nervous system in animals and if left untreated can be fatal. I cant believe why you'd question that a known poison wouldnt be harmful.

The reason why its important to contact your vet asap and not self medicate, is not all poisons should be vomited back up. If an animal has swallowed a product with bleach in it for example, you are going burn the animals oesophagus on the way back up aswell as the damage it did going down in the first place.

Inducing vomiting after 2hrs+ means the animal will already have digested some of it and by adding vomiting into the mix you will more than likely cause severe dehydration in the animal aswell. NEVER self remedy with poison unless you know EXACTLY what the animal has ingested and you have got the ok from your vet. You can and WILL do more harm than good if done incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anniehoo wrote: »
    :eek: Of course they are.

Slug pellets contain metaldehyde,which in enough quantity will effect the nervous system in animals and if left untreated can be fatal. I cant believe why you'd question that a known poison wouldnt be harmful.

The reason why its important to contact your vet asap and not self medicate, is not all poisons should be vomited back up. If an animal has swallowed a product with bleach in it for example, you are going burn the animals oesophagus on the way back up aswell as the damage it did going down in the first place.

Inducing vomiting after 2hrs+ means the animal will already have digested some of it and by adding vomiting into the mix you will more than likely cause severe dehydration in the animal aswell. NEVER self remedy with poison unless you know EXACTLY what the animal has ingested and you have got the ok from your vet. You can and WILL do more harm than good if done incorrectly.

I thought the OP said they were the non-toxic type?

And if you live many miles from a vet, as we do, it is wise to know what to do. As leaving it till we can get to a vet is dangerous. First aid can save a life.

We lived many years on a small island with no vet available and we learned what to do to save a critter. Skills we use still.

If there is doubt, we will phone the vet. Get advice; more often than not a visit is not advised.

Once had a pet lamb with bloat when we were thirty miles from a vet. Googled and fed him ginger and some other herbs, ran him up and down the drive several times; cured the bloat, Vet thought this was hilarious but it saved the lamb's life.

Hi Again,

just wanted to clarify, i wanted to act straight away as I had literally seen him walk out from where a pile of pellets had spilled.
    I thought the best thing to do, is to make him sick straight away and not leave them in his system any longer than nessesary by delaying in getting to the vets.

Also I had only just been to the vet 'straight away' when one of my other dogs got knocked out, this thankfully turned into a 'non event' and the same dog was back moving as i went in the vets door...but i still went in....
    Also I am in and out to the vets every month getting my other dog tablets and steroids to stop her 'itching herself till she gets sores'

So I didnt want going in to him Again, if a) it turned out to be a non event b) I could stop my dog from getting really ill by making him sick straight away.

And like I said already this same 'poisoned' dog who ate non harmful slug pellets, and had a mixture of 'googled' cures, spent over an hour running on the beach yesterday and at least an hour today chasing god knows what through wild fields.....so same dog, who is a resue btw, is very well looked after....

thanks again...

Advertisement