Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull / gull noise in the city

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed plenty of loud gull generated noise around the city, especially around the woodquay and river areas?

I have only been living in the city centre for about 9 months now but I have asked a number of long term residents about the noise and they have told me it is defiantly more prevalent that usual and also find it irritating.

During the daytime the noise doesn't bother me so much, but they seem to be loudly shrieking at each other all through the night where I live and there has been a lot more bird droppings in my garden than usual.

Anybody else noticed this in the last few weeks? I know little of their habits or social interactions so maybe this is normal...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A lot of them came for the VOR and haven't left. They enjoy the atmosphere and the abundance of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its like this every year really, they inhabit the city centre from around April/May until September, shrieking, sh1ttin and opening bin bags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Its like this every year really, they inhabit the city centre from around April/May until September, shrieking, sh1ttin and opening bin bags.
    And the seagulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I find late September to June to be the worst, with 4 days at the end of February the peak time for the spittin, shltin, screeching and opening bin bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Loads of young gulls learning to fly at this time of year and for whatever reason learning to fly equals a whole lot of noise.
    I hand reared an abandoned gull this past month and whenever it was wing flapping time the noise was awful :(
    However the night time noise is unusual, it was my understanding that gull slept through the night? (or at least my little one did).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They're absolute bastards when you're hungover. I'm certain they deliberately fly near my window on Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just like the students for the rest of the year.

edit: bollocks - missed thesandeman's post. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I feel like they're a bit more noisy this year too, don't hear much at night though thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There seem to be more in Spiddal & Furbo than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I find that seagulls tend to live close to the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

Mr Man wrote: »
    I find that seagulls tend to live close to the sea.

'and they tend to follow the trawler it is because they know sardines will be thrown into the sea'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

"Seagulls make noise in city on the sea shocker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Wouldn't be Galway without the seagulls.

They have been there for as long as I can remember and probably well before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I actually like the noise! Reminds me of where I lived as a kid.

Advertisement