Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting screwed at work but not sure how to deal with it

Options
  • 14-07-2012 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Heres the deal that I woud like your opinions on:

In my job (large multinational in Dublin) I work with a team of 10. I was hired approx 3 years ago as a junior member of the team. Since then I have done nothing but a great job at what I do. I am seen as an expert in my area of work by other senior members of the team.

At this point, I am certain that if I were to leave the company they would be in a bad situation as there would be no one skilled enough to maintain the work I have done etc.

My trouble is, I am a junior member of the team and I am earning the lowest wages in the group even though I am the subject matter expert in my field even though there is supposed to be more senior people. My manager has recently told me that I am doing an excellent job and I also got a small raise. Still nothing significant.

I am looking for ways how I deal with the money issue. I feel I am worth a lot more. I bet if I handed in my notice tomorrow they would offer me more money...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

At this point, I am certain that if I were to leave the company they would be in a bad situation as there would be no one skilled enough to maintain the work I have done etc.

Many people think this, and it is very very rarely true.

Your choices are;
    - look for a new job
    - ask for more money
    - quit
    - suck it up

I suggest you think about what you are prepared to do if they don't give you more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You have to be prepared to call their bluff and your own. Be prepared to leave and find another job.

If they are not paying you enough it suggests they don't see things in the same way you do. Ultimately everyone can be replaced. It depends how much that cost them. Big companies may not lose any sleep about the cost of replacing you.

Its not what you are worth its what you can get/negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you actually pointed out the value you're bringing to the job, and asked for more money? Do they know what you're thinking?

Politely of course, you have no bargaining power if you don't have a job offer.

Have you looked for other jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Apply for other jobs to see what your options are before you threaten to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I also echo another posters comments about your opinion about you being the only person able to do the job. The organisation was able to function prior to your employment and would be able to function if you were to leave.

It would be wise to have another firm job offer available as you would be able to negotiate a better deal for your future. You then have a strong hand to play with management either they give you suitable remuneration for your skills and experience or you can offer your resignation. If you are as good as you say you are and the company are in a decent financial position they will pay.

It is also worthwhile to note that it might also be in your best interests to gain experience with a different organisation and possibly return to your current company a few years down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I bet if I handed in my notice tomorrow they would offer me more money...

Be very careful with this one. My employer does not make counter offers, as the odds are that the person will end up leaving for good within a year anyway.

We've had plenty of "gurus" leave over the years, and we've coped each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Eoin wrote: »
    I bet if I handed in my notice tomorrow they would offer me more money...

Be very careful with this one. My employer does not make counter offers, as the odds are that the person will end up leaving for good within a year anyway.

We've had plenty of "gurus" leave over the years, and we've coped each and every time.

I did that once. I believed I was getting underpaid by my employer for the job I was doing. Had a meeting, requested that they pay me what I thought I was worth after listing out how great I was. I gave an ultimatum, pay up or I was out of there. I had my P45 shortly afterwards.

Spent 5 months looking for another job for the same crappy pay. It was a hard lesson to learn. Still convinced I'm a genius though. ;)

Advertisement