Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arcadeCon?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

is there anyone going to this? are we sure there will be a marvel tournament tmw? the website is fairly bad at telling people what will be happening.

http://www.arcadecon.ie/venue/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

it says there:

Video Game Tournaments:
    Blazblue Continuum Shift 2: Extend
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Halo 3
    Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 / Generations TBC
    Mario Kart SNES
    Tetris
    Pokémon Black/White
    Dance Dance Revolution

I have a question... wheres AE?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

i found the site difficult to navigate :P

do you know when any of these start? i fear missing the the start of the marvel, also does anyone know if you have to pay to walk into the con. ye know a door tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

i found the site difficult to navigate :P

do you know when any of these start? i fear missing the the start of the marvel, also does anyone know if you have to pay to walk into the con. ye know a door tax.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aki82ftAee6BdHVRaHZXQ2U3bDFpb3RyU21YNGFpU3c#gid=6

That's the time table for it.

Marvel is on sunday at 11 o clock, you have to be there at least about an hour earlier to register for it.

If you want to go for one day, it's 20 euros, if you want to go the whole weekend, it's 35 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

thx, i couldnt read that timetable. found it confusing.

well now that I know i will not be attending. don't have the cash for bus and entry. nevermind i wouldnt be there in time since my first bus from here leaves at 11...

soz for making this thread guys, i'll try and make it to one of the tournys at the exchange :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ladnopoka wrote: »
    it says there:

Video Game Tournaments:
    Blazblue Continuum Shift 2: Extend
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Halo 3
    Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 / Generations TBC
    Mario Kart SNES
    Tetris
    Pokémon Black/White
    Dance Dance Revolution

I have a question... wheres AE?

Isn't that the tourney Xinkai is running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

They didn't do AE for various reasons

Mostly the competitive thing was turning game room attendees off of playing In there I think?

I won SFXT and UMVC3

Too good:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Sounds like someone got a free ride today lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nutrient wrote: »
    They didn't do AE for various reasons

Mostly the competitive thing was turning game room attendees off of playing In there I think?

May wish to rename the convention then.

Who, and I ask this with resignation, told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Am I right in the understanding that they were reluctant to hold a particular competition because it would get......competitive?

May wish to rename the convention then.

When I mentioned they didn't do it for "various reasons" I was speaking from a personal perspective.

Nobody told me why AE was absent from the tourney roster

I believe there were just other games been held due to their popularity for casual play mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I can't remember. Might have been Xinkai, might have been one of the other half dozen Games Room staff floating around. I honestly can't remember.

My opinion on Arcade-con in general: meh.

I wasn't too gone on the whole thing. It just felt pretty floaty with not much to do that interested me. And the only panel I actually wanted to see was cancelled, along with many others. The Games Room was extremely well run though - loads of space and staff and plenty of consoles with a fair variety of games going at any given time. For the most part the tournaments also went down great as they seemed to have plenty of time allotted to them.

Negatives from the games room would be: the timetable for tournaments kept changing. I don't know how much of this was games running over time or what (as I said above, the tournaments didn't seem particularly rushed outside of Catherine, which I know did run over time), but it was kind of annoying hanging around for games when they kept being moved by an hour.

I think the staff should have been forcing game changes on consoles a bit more throughout the weekend. Marvel was on almost all day most days, and of course the Marvel players are not going to willingly turn it off, so someone should have kicked us off.

SF4 should have been on the tournaments list. If it was left off because no one wanted RS.ie people showing up and beasting then that plan failed miserably as Joe, Hardter and Naphiel won everything anyway. Out of the four fighters previously announced I would have taken off BB. While the Eirtakon tournament was great, it's numbers have been steadily dwindling while SF4 has always remained constantly decent. I doubt anyone outside those from RS.ie even knew Extend had been released.

Side notes:
    Catherine is an amazing 2 player game. I always wondered why it was a side tournament at a bunch of fighting game events, but now I know.

I actually liked playing BBCS:Extend! It took 4 versions but they finally released a character I like using: Relius's dodge is the most sick thing ever.

SFxT is even worse than I remember. God that game sucks ass.

Oh, I forgot to mention:

324095_460237130668241_583995067_o.jpg

Best con.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well as the first thing that I have gone to in almost 3 months since I got a new "job" I can say I was a bit disappointed in it. I don't care if people say it is an "anime, comic and gaming convention", for a convention called ARCADEcon the gaming seems to be a very small part of their plan. Between tournaments being thrown around (last minute Tekken tournament got more entries than all the other fighting games) and one prize being forgotten about (Tetris).

I will say that Xinkai did a very good job holding it together and looking like he was the only one in the games room who knew what he was doing. But the other 2 either looked clueless or annoyed the hell out of me (trying to ban us playing on arcade sticks cause it is cheating)

I do recommend that they change their name or START DOING GAMING RELATED THINGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Hi everyone, thanks to those that showed up at the con, our final number was 1287 attendees overall, HUGE SUCCESS, but now for the important stuff.

I was in charge of selecting the tournament games to run this year, and the director of the con had no problems with my choices whatsoever, neither did the attendees, in fact the only complaint I've seen about the tournaments is why was there no AE? And that complaint comes from the one place I said it would have come from, here. This forum.

As an attendee and member of RS.ie, I've witnessed at many cons with AE or BB being played, it's the same people that show up, win at cons, and then don't bother taking part in other con festivities and not even bothering to show at the closing ceremony to accept the prize that cons put together because there's nothing that hold the interest of the winners.

My aim this year was not to appeal to the RS community by catering to them by throwing an AE tournament. My aim was to appeal to those who matter, those actually interested in the convention, the Arcadecon attendees.

Once too many times, and at my own fault, have I heard people who don't play the games that are held at cons say "These guys are way too good at this game, I'm not going to bother taking part" I wanted the attendees to have a chance at the game they were playing, if you feel alienated in this way, I'm sorry, but once again, I'm not going to cater to RS.ie.

I had announced the SFxT tournament MONTHS ago, the list was finalized & published, and I could not change to AE, as I was in talks with Capcom SFxT PR to try set up a sponsorship with Arcadecon, but unfortunately, that fell flat on it's face.

As a BB player, you may say I'm biased on this also, however previous cons have shown as an anime con, most of the BB community comes from people admiring the anime graphics. My main interest was also to try run Persona 4, but the game was not out yet.

In terms of my "plan" failing and having Joe, Keith & Ciaran win all the tournaments, this was never my intention. I announced tournaments. They showed up. They were more skilled than others and won. I did not throw SFxT, Marvel, Catherine ETC up there to appeal to them. I can guarantee now that with it's dwindling numbers, BB will not be in attendance next year unless it becomes the powerhouse con game it once was. Same with SF.

Also Hardter... ARCADECON is run by the group over at The @rcade... Not because it's a gaming website, you should check it out somethime before telling them to change the name =P

So much more I had to say, can't remember what though lol.

If anybody else has questions, feel free to throw them my way ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Xinkai, first of all, congratulations on the convention and on the games room. I wasn't able to attend this year but I know it's not an easy job so gg :)

Just regarding your point about not appealing to the IFG community - every single person who attends a convention pays the exact same entry fee. Because of this, I believe that all attendees should be treated with the same respect. All attendees are free to do whatever they want at a con - be that take part in every single event going, or just hanging around with friends for a weekend. Cons are filled with a variety of people and I don't believe that it's fair to try to exclude some people just because they only participate in one area of a con. At Eirtakon we get many people who turn up for only a specific event - be it the SF tournament, the Yu Gi Oh tournament, the cosplay masquerade or just to have a nosey in the trader's hall. Conventions are about inclusion and if all attendees pay the same entrance fee regardless of their plans for the weekend, why should some be condemned for that?

I agree that it is unnecessary to cater solely for the FCG - as Games Coordinators, we have to choose games that appeal to a wide range of attendees. But if the FCG wants to attend, why should they be belittled or made to feel unwanted for doing so? They're paying, it's their choice. They can't help it if they're good at the game! Also, by attending they may be encouraged to check out some other events - I know last year at Eirtakon some of the guys also participated in one of the shooter tournaments since they were already there.

Anyway, that's just my opinion regarding the matter.

Xinkai wrote: »
    ...it's the same people that show up, win at cons, and then don't bother taking part in other con festivities and not even bothering to show at the closing ceremony..

They're probably already seeking the next challenge. Ceremony means nothing to them. The fight is everything... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0TYZm7V-I&feature=related#t=0m03s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Once too many times, and at my own fault, have I heard people who don't play the games that are held at cons say "These guys are way too good at this game, I'm not going to bother taking part" I wanted the attendees to have a chance at the game they were playing

This makes no sense to me unless you abstained from playing Blazblue yourself.

Nothing in any fighting game I've ever played is as off-putting as 100% damage Platinum resets.

This makes no sense to me unless you abstained from playing Blazblue yourself.

Nothing in any fighting game I've ever played is as off-putting as 100% damage Platinum resets.
    He didn't play in the BB tourmey ;D

Also, I don't mind that there was an SFxT tourney. The game is ass but had I been in your shoes I still would have run the tournament - BB was the only one I would have ditched.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I dont see how excluding a group of people who pay as much as everyone else yet take up considerably fewer resources (last year we brought our own consoles so it's not like we were holding up other stuff) could be seen as a bad thing. But thanks for letting the group who are probably the last actual remnant of arcade culture in Ireland know they're not welcome in the games room at Arcade con.

As for not showing up for the closing ceremonies- I assume that jab is directly aimed at me.

I have been supporting the con scene in some way or another in this country Xinkai since the year 1997. In the past I have run games, I have even written tabletops for RPG cons (and one of the Gaelcon organisers was needling me recently enough to return to doing that) and more recently doing what I do with recording vids. Sometimes I even help out with other things (At last Eirtakon I missed the ending of AE making sure the Guitar Hero tournament could go ahead and had to donate some of my gear, at Arcade con last year I had to help run UMvC). So I don't feel I have to justify myself to you. I contribute my money and I effectively volunteer without the usual benefits at most cons.

But I will: Award ceremonies are basically on at a time which is obnoxiously difficult for me to get to- and I assume others. I am still owed prizes, I believe, from Warpcon in 1999 for Vampire and Paranoia. I have a life and I generally can't hang around on Sundays. Never have been.

Once too many times, and at my own fault, have I heard people who don't play the games that are held at cons say "These guys are way too good at this game, I'm not going to bother taking part" I wanted the attendees to have a chance at the game they were playing

If you're going to hold a con that has fighting games competitions/tourneys as part of it, and especially if you're going to charge everybody the same entry fee, you only cheapen your entire event if you don't aim to allow the highest level of competition. You can't charge serious FG players entry, and then discriminate towards casual players from your key demographic instead.

The FGC is very competitive, and some players put a lot of time and investment into learning and improving at their games. If you're uncomfortable with those players turning up and alienating your core demographic (as your earlier posts would suggest you are) then just focus on the rest of the attractions instead, keep the games section casual, and don't have a tourney as part of your con.

And BTW, an earlier post about players getting grief for using arcade sticks, and being told they were "cheating" by organizers just tallies up with this. That's ridiculous. Skills and practice-wise I'm not even at a high enough level to compete in tourneys at the moment, certainly not to win anything, but i take my fighting games seriously nonetheless, and hearing something like that from an event judge at any ticket-selling tourney would annoy the hell out of me if i had bothered to travel to it and pay in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

yes Xinkai... you are right. In all things. :cool:

Where's Farz when you need a good troll.

Hi everyone, thanks to those that showed up at the con, our final number was 1287 attendees overall, HUGE SUCCESS, but now for the important stuff.

I was in charge of selecting the tournament games to run this year, and the director of the con had no problems with my choices whatsoever, neither did the attendees, in fact the only complaint I've seen about the tournaments is why was there no AE? And that complaint comes from the one place I said it would have come from, here. This forum.

As an attendee and member of RS.ie, I've witnessed at many cons with AE or BB being played, it's the same people that show up, win at cons, and then don't bother taking part in other con festivities and not even bothering to show at the closing ceremony to accept the prize that cons put together because there's nothing that hold the interest of the winners.

My aim this year was not to appeal to the RS community by catering to them by throwing an AE tournament. My aim was to appeal to those who matter, those actually interested in the convention, the Arcadecon attendees.

Once too many times, and at my own fault, have I heard people who don't play the games that are held at cons say "These guys are way too good at this game, I'm not going to bother taking part" I wanted the attendees to have a chance at the game they were playing, if you feel alienated in this way, I'm sorry, but once again, I'm not going to cater to RS.ie.

I had announced the SFxT tournament MONTHS ago, the list was finalized & published, and I could not change to AE, as I was in talks with Capcom SFxT PR to try set up a sponsorship with Arcadecon, but unfortunately, that fell flat on it's face.

As a BB player, you may say I'm biased on this also, however previous cons have shown as an anime con, most of the BB community comes from people admiring the anime graphics. My main interest was also to try run Persona 4, but the game was not out yet.

In terms of my "plan" failing and having Joe, Keith & Ciaran win all the tournaments, this was never my intention. I announced tournaments. They showed up. They were more skilled than others and won. I did not throw SFxT, Marvel, Catherine ETC up there to appeal to them. I can guarantee now that with it's dwindling numbers, BB will not be in attendance next year unless it becomes the powerhouse con game it once was. Same with SF.

Also Hardter... ARCADECON is run by the group over at The @rcade... Not because it's a gaming website, you should check it out somethime before telling them to change the name =P

So much more I had to say, can't remember what though lol.

If anybody else has questions, feel free to throw them my way ^^

Why wasn't SFXT 2v2?:pac:

I'll just chime in that I believe the staff who was complaining about sticks was doing so just to jokingly annoy us. I don't think he seriously wanted to ban them.

Advertisement