Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Akihabara GET! aka, My Akiba Haul, July 2012

• 14-07-2012 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Ok, I shall keep this brief, again, lots to cover when I get back home. :)

Here are my GETS!

1. The main haul. Too much to list here, shall cover later in detail. :)
    iE5wZV4Am6yVt.jpg

2. I got a stack of XBOX 360 SHMUPS, all Limited Edition except for DDPDOJBL which has only standard and Best editions. Mine is the first print standard edition.
    i0QMIdKMPT5lg.jpg

3. Finally, I visited the arcade PCB shops (it's true what people say, G Front is pretty poor, MAK is amazing, oh and I met a Superplay player in there when I bought this CPS2 board). The customer service in MAK is top notch!
    idR4DMPZmj44X.jpg

Thus this concludes my Akihabara shopping! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Oh and if anyone was wondering which Superplayer I met, it was TZW. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

lovely stuff! im pretty sure thats the Mars Matrix board I was contacting them about. Postage was too high though.

o1s1n wrote: »
    lovely stuff! im pretty sure thats the Mars Matrix board I was contacting them about. Postage was too high though.

There was two Mars Matrix there. Both are game boards only, I had to buy the B board too as I have no CPS2 games.

They had Batrider and Ibara by the way...

Pyongyang wrote: »
    They had Batrider by the way...

Which I 'forgot' to mention I bought too. :D

iSbYkCcuRYaSH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

znoebo.gif

That's an amazing haul , Mars Matrix is excellent and Batrider , WOW :D

I see you grabbed a very fine selection of console stuff too !

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They had Batrider by the way...

woohoo, finally! congrats! and who would've thought you'd need to travel to Japan to get it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

FUUUUU I wish I had the cop on to get stuff when I was there instead of waking up and drinking 8%juice from the vending machine for breakfast and wandering around skuttered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

safetyboy wrote: »
    FUUUUU I wish I had the cop on to get stuff when I was there instead of waking up and drinking 8%juice from the vending machine for breakfast and wandering around skuttered!

Safetyboy is Ke$ha's songwriter.

:D

Took me 3 days too sober up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Excellent stuff pyongyang! I'd say you're chuffed. :D

• Advertisement

Cheers all, yep absolutely delighted with Akiba, especially Batrider and meeting TZW in MAK. :)

Heading to Mikado tomorrow to try and get Heavy Metal Raiden merch. Today we went on a full day tour of Tokyo. Was amazing, lots to do and they even dropped us off in Akihabara on the way home (after persuading my wife with bag and shoe shopping :D).

Everywhere closed at 8pm though so I took a diversion and stumbled upon a store who's name I have no idea of, there I was helped by a staff member who specialized in shooting games and, well, let's just say he knew where all the stuff I wanted was located! I had to leave before I could grab everything on the shelf but will visit again this week. But I squeezed in one question before heading to the cash register...

...I dared to utter the words 'superplay DVD'...

...shortly after, I soiled my briefs.

Pics to come of the GET! Action (not, of the soiled mens briefs).

I wonder if you found Rancor's secret Akaihabara source :P

http://www.sk8tokyo.com/shmup/images/cave_store/cave1.JPG

Casey120 wrote: »
    I wonder if you found Rancor's secret Akaihabara source :P

Hmm, my only answer is....... Yes. :D

Though that shop sells ONLY Cave Matsuri/Cave Shop items, well, in in that section anyway.

The other shop I found though is just abundant with cool stuff. Pics to follow shortly of today's GET! action...

Tell me you found that Garregga Superplay, book included :eek:

As promised, here is today's Akihabara haul. :)

1. Ibara official art book by Cave.
    i2a58nxHhQAPh.jpg

2. Ketsui 5 block, official Cave Matsuri item. The last one in stock too! Oh, and some business cards I had designed for me before I left. :D
    i7ghMqwWnQ35A.jpg

3. Cave official wallets. Mushihimesama Futari Original and Black Label slip files. The Star Wars slip file was a free gift from the shop to me. Future collectible?
    iUPYgczIblzIv.jpg

4. ESPGaluda II official art book by Cave.
    ibtLCLm5WXa8E2.jpg

5. Eschatos inc Judgment Silversword and Cardinal Sin.
    iv4BjjkdV8RYQ.jpg

6. Kyukoyu Tiger for PC Engine
    ibkmpl9kqEFrzf.jpg

7. Game Paradise limited edition box including the VHS tape
    iJqcVkBISWLx3.jpg

8. In The Hunt, J League Victory and Bomber Man
    i4O9s6hpLNjr9.jpg

Casey120 wrote: »
    Tell me you found that Garregga Superplay, book included :eek:

Not yet, although I saw a shelf full of INH titles, but had to literally run to the cash register before the shop closed. I'm returning tomorrow though! :D

Tiger-heli PC engine... jealous!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loves me In The Hunt.
    Was there any version that didn't have slow down?
    A HD XBLA edition would be an insta-buy!

Lovely haul Pyong, can't wait for the Retro Beers in your house/villa/pantry...

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I loves me In The Hunt.

Apparently the Playstation version has less slowdown than the Saturn one. I haven't played that version yet myself though.

Cheers all, ive still to get a haul of SD baseball games for my wife! I saw the Saturn Kyoukyououououou Tiger yesterday, part of the Plus pack. That port is a bit balls though. The PC Engine edition I've been after for quite a while, it's my favourite console version. Avoid the Mega Drive version, it is awful, even though it sports a larger version of the beautiful PC Engine cover art.

In The Hunt is great, although I forget which port is best. Game Tengoku I cheaped out on, we can all rob o1s1n's PCB! :D The LE is awesome though, I'm going to transfer the VHS to DVD.

Heading to Mikado this morning, then Akihabara again for some bits and pieces (hoping to buy a CPS2 battery and 60mm silent fan). Shibuya tonight to see the crossing and then some scoops!

I tell you what is really disappointing though, the lack of Darius stuff. It just keeps selling out I get told by every shop I go to. The ones that do have any Darius stuff have it stupidly priced. Actually, I saw Salmonhamburger yesterday, which we all know is inferior to Darius, and it was dirt cheap. Still didn't buy it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rancor

...Still waiting for a reply for our get together - Did I get stood up today? :(

No worries - I totally understand. I've been on "vacation" with the wife before. If your experience is the same as mine your wants/needs will always take a backseat to hers. :D

rancor wrote: »
    Did I get stood up today? :(

You know. ;)

I managed to squeeze in a final Akiba haul though before the shops closed, oh and Casey120, I found the Garegga Superplay DVD tonight. Except it was the disc and box only, no booklet or pack-in book unfortunately. The price was nice though, I regret not buying it now. Saw lots of Garegga VHS today though. I never found any Laserdisc shops. :(

GET! snaps to follow shortly... :)

There's a cheap-hoover-platinum-vacuum-with-canister.jpgon the loose in japan :pac:

Good thing you didn't grab that Garegga SP , it's better to wait for a complete one !

This is the haul from last night, and indeed, no Garegga DVD as I agree, it really needs to be complete. Some of the VHS Superplays looked awesome but I couldn't bring myself to do it!

EDIT: also picked up a new sealed copy of Otomedius Excellent but ran out of SD card space!

1. Tokimiki Memorial Puzzle, PS1.
    Not a dating sim, but a cool puzzle game!
    izgudfGUnFYzI.jpg

2. Assorted official Cave CD's.
    Couldn't help myself and just grabbed all of these. :o
    iHrzJuSPBG6yP.jpg

3. Raiden III The Flash Desire Superplay.
    Bought this in Mikado, it is brand new, sealed and comes with the art book. Mikado is the best arcade in the known universe. Hey! Is great, but Mikado is in a whole different league. I nearly had to be dragged out of there.
    ircdBxvUcrdvG.jpg

4. Veigues, Mr. Driller G, Heavy Unit and Super Raiden.
    A mix of PC Engine and PS1 games.
    ibfXCDgKsy9Z71.jpg

5. Puyo Puyo, Star Cruiser, Thunder Force II and Darius II for Mega Drive.
    Darius is better than Salmonhamburger!
    i1aTfgBA2vV63.jpg

6. Ibara figure, official Cave merch.
    I didn't want to leave without a figure and stumbled across this. Snapped it up straight away. Mint condition, cool SHMUP figurine GET!
    iqiqBFT7uMYM5.jpg

7. Cosmo Gang:The Puzzle, Double Ring and PC Denjin aka Super Air Zonk.
    I wanted Double Ring and PC Denjin fully boxed but couldn't find them anywhere. Gary Lucy will do. :)
    iSqD1nKy5n8Hz.jpg

8. Game Centre CX, special DVD box sets.
    These are Jaleco and Irem special editions. All themed shows which I don't think are part of the normal TV Series.
    igRqa0opIo6vR.jpg

9. Namco Collection, Limited Edition Vol. 2 premium box.
    Saved the best til last. This is probably my favourite GET! Along with Batrider. Not just because it is rare, but because it is in such mint condition (not sure if it is new but it's shrink wrapped). This also completes my Namco LE Anniversary set I started about a year ago. Never thought I'd find this premium box!
    isRZb4giibn9n.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Quality gets! I'm liking that Raiden is getting a few nods too. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Quality gets! I'm liking that Raiden is getting a few nods too. :)

Thought ye would! ;)

That Raiden Superplay is the one with yer man playing Raiden III as P1 and P2 at the same time. :eek:

Awesome haul again !

Are there still Video recorders next to some games in Mikado so you can tape your game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Stupid question, but how do you get all that stuff home?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loves me In The Hunt.

Even the arcade version has slowdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What utter brilliance this thread is. Some guy basically goes to Japan & goes bananas buying a lot of very very cool stuff...well done pyongster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jammy Sod!

EnterNow wrote: »
    What utter brilliance this thread is. Some guy basically goes to Japan & goes bananas buying a lot of very very cool stuff...well done pyongster

Thank you sir, I squeezed in 32 years of dreaming in to a week so I went a bit mad. There's actually more to come. No Akiba today but I missed some stuff yesterday and you wouldn't believe what I got today. No SHMUPS but think 'jammy sod' and you'd be on the right track... :D

Pics later...

Might be time to escalate to "Bloody Jammy Sod".... we will be observing events....

Will you let us know how much your shopping spree has set you back, when it's finally over?

Will you let us know how much your shopping spree has set you back, when it's finally over?

Hell no! My own Sauron might be watching! ;)

As for today, we went to Diver City in Odaiba to see the Gundam statue. It is absolutely breathtaking! We were lucky to see the light show and video display where the statue moves and fires its rocket pack. Great fun! I got lots of GET! Goodies there. Shall post later along with the mini haul I missed yesterday.

Today we also dropped by a Taito Station in Shinjuku where my wife and I formed a great team and won all this stuff on the cranes! I won the two figurines (the photo does no justice, the boxes are MASSIVE! Real high quality premium figures too, ask Penev10, he is the Sultan of figurine knowledge!), the cups and the RC helicopter. My wife blitzed the snacks (we ate loads so some not shown haha!) and the mini teddies!

We formed a great team again after the crane games as my wife suggested (absolutely true I swear) that we play Darius Burst AC EX as 2 player. So we did, and my wife declared she loves King fossil too, which took me by surprise as she a) doesn't play video games and b) doesn't eat fish so didn't want to hurt him.... Go figure... ;)

I played one of those giant Gundam pod capsules too where you sit in the pod like a Gundam pilot. My suggestion, don't waste your money, the game looks amazing but there is so much Japanese text it's unplayable.

I won a figurine too yesterday, but I gave it away instead. :)

ibyCcgxoeDsd3P.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

As for today, we went to Diver City in Odaiba to see the Gundam statue. It is absolutely breathtaking! We were lucky to see the light show and video display where the statue moves and fires its rocket pack.
    You lucky, lucky man! I was on Odaiba n all I saw was the Statue of Liberty! I even mentioned the life-size Gundam to the guide who said it was out of town at the time :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pyongyang - single-handedly bringing Japan out of recession.

penev10 wrote: »
    You lucky, lucky man! I was on Odaiba n all I saw was the Statue of Liberty! I even mentioned the life-size Gundam to the guide who said it was out of town at the time :(

That's mad! Maybe it was being cleaned or refurbished at the time? They seem to fix it up a lot to keep it clean :( We got there around 5pm after my wife done a few girls things in Harajuku. I managed to get it at dusk to night. The light and video show started at 7:30pm. It doesn't move or do anything after or before that (as far as I know).

I looked it up this morning and the directions aren't too bad. Getting to Diver City is a pain as you have to change from the Yamanote line at Osaki to the Rinka line to Tokyo Teleport station. There you go from the station, up and out past Sega Joyopolis to Diver City. Go straight in, up the stairs and towards the food court.

When you reach the food court it's literally right there outside. Look for the sign called Festival Plaza which is basically outside the food court. The Gundam Cafe is there (I didn't go in as we had dinner in the Gundam Cafe in Akihabara last night) and the Gundam Front shop is next to the statue. I bought a program/art/guide book. It's a lovely photo book about the statue. I also got a metallic postcard and a badge. The models were too expensive, cheaper in Akihabara for the same Gunpla. I bought some ships in Diver City though to go with my Darius Burst ship model. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They moved the statue a few years ago (http://blog.japantwo.com/2010/09/24/1694), was only meant to be in Odaiba for a short period of time. Obviously was too much of a tourist draw to leave it on storage. There were crazy amounts of people there when I saw it before 'official' opening in 2009, and even crazier amounts a few weeks later when it had flashing lights and sound!

Asimo was out of town when I was over too. It was a sad day for me.

How does the language barrier work out?
    Or do you have some Japanese?

• Advertisement

Most people in Tokyo will have some bit of English and want to talk it, I brought a few phrase books. Different story down Hiroshima though where nobody really had any English but would go out of there way to help you get to where you were going.

How does the language barrier work out?
    Or do you have some Japanese?

Me? I've been learning Japanese for about 3 or 4 months, I've a Japanese friend/teacher too who helped me a lot with one on one lessons. Time was short though so I got my key phrases down and I read hiragana (sort of, very basic though). A Canon Word Tank would be very useful alas I bought one on eBay that didn't arrive before I left Ireland.

You can get by with the basics, but to be honest everyone wants to try out their English on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

You could go over with zero Japanese and no language book and be fine in Japan if you are just going around to shops and places like that.
    It's when you start trying to organise to buy stuff from private sellers and that type of thing that the lack of Japanese will hurt you, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Katakana is a pretty handy 'alphabet' to know, seeing as it's used for loanwords, most of which appear to be from English (though it's also used for emphasis, like italics in the west, which can screw over your efforts sometimes) So you can often look at a sign or advertisement and glean the necessary info from it without any Japanese really. Most of the signs in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akiba seem to be for Karaoke bars and Camera shops :)

I can just about order a glass of water and a bowl of ramen in Japanese, but I never had any trouble over there. Only once, after getting stuck in a rural train station for some unclear reason, was a lack of language skills an impediment to understanding what was going on. You can easily get around the place - whether it's Tokyo or smaller towns - as an English speaker.

Grunting and pointing is the ever reliable fallback, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Jesus everytime I come onto this thread theres just more amazing stuff in it. Well done chap!

Arrived in Abu Dhabi early this morning. Shall post the rest of the GET! action later (quite a few last minutes GET! goodies were snagged). Had a last minute dash for more stuff, stumbled across a few beauts along the way. SPECIAL NOTE TO MR. U: I got a gachapon toy for a movie called LOVE! (I think that's the name of it?) It is like Marley and Me but with a distinct Japanese-ness to it. It is only just opening in cinemas there but I hope it comes to Blu Ray? You got any info on this particular film? The wife and I (as dog owners) have to see it!

One huge failure was not buying a Mechagodzilla figure in Narita airport yesterday but we had to get to the gate so I said I'll leave it. Regretting that one, love Gojira. :(

On the last night I went alone to pay my last respects to Mikado and played a few games for an hour or so and weeped openly, many many manly otaku tears as I left and said my goodbyes.

I love Mikado. Sorry HEY! but Mikado is the true overlord of game centres. Why nobody mentions it more I don't know, it's an amazing gaf. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It is like Marley and Me but with a distinct Japanese-ness to it.

So rather than the dog dying, it instead has sex with underage schoolgirls?

I got a gachapon toy for a movie called LOVE! (I think that's the name of it?) It is like Marley and Me but with a distinct Japanese-ness to it. It is only just opening in cinemas there but I hope it comes to Blu Ray? You got any info on this particular film? The wife and I (as dog owners) have to see it!

There's a trailer for it here: http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers/love-masao-kun-ga-iku-trailer That's all I gots. I also see Wolf Children Ame and Yuke has just been released over there. Now the inevitable insane wait for it to show up over here :/

Thanks a million for that Mr. U, I thought I wouldn't ever get the name of that film! Hopefully there will be a JP or HK Blu Ray release with English subtitles in the future. How the heck you tracked that film down off of my description is almost as amazing as Pantrylad's gold wallpaper!

@ImmediateEntrance: Almost, you forgot to mention tentacles. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement