Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons -horribly expensive

• 14-07-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Bought a book for my daughter in a local bookshop €5.00 - went to get the next one in the series in Easons today €9.75 :eek:

(all books in the series are the same price)

even a different independent store was only €7.25

back to the first shop i go................................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

That's why I buy my books online through Amazon. Shops like Easons are a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I noticed this as well recently when I was browsing in one of their stores. Given the choice I would pay slightly more to support and Irish business rather than going to amazon but I'm not going paying twice the price for a book. They're shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I never go into EASONS,O mahonys are bad enough,but some places online do charge for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

IDEALLY I would like to support Irish businesses and bookshops in particular...............

BUT when they are too expensive I shop online.

My favourite book website is www.bookdepository.co.uk

Reasons: The price you see is the price you pay. No delivery/service charges * worldwide * and they price books in EUROS.

Have to say I really like O'Mahony's bookshop in Limerick - Ireland's largest INDEPENDENT bookshop and some excellent sections in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JDAWG90

Yes I have to say that the book depository is the best online store for books.
    Amazon is much cheaper than the likes of Easons but they give a poor exchange rate on the £. I don't understand how Easons and other book stores in Ireland can get away with charging way more than online book stores when you consider that there isn't even VAT on books in Ireland, it's 0%!!

I'm all for supporting Irish business but at what cost? How dear can they make books before people will look elsewhere? The people of Ireland need to be shown this! And when the people act with their purses Easons may get some sense and stop ripping off the Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

JDAWG90 wrote: »
    Amazon is much cheaper than the likes of Easons but they give a poor exchange rate on the £.

Amazon do not apply a FX rate, unless you opt-in.

Buy in GBP and your credit card company will apply a more GBP/EUR favourable FX rate.

That's aside from the point, but yes I'm aware of that but then you have the charge for making a £ payment on a € account. Book depository is better, it's prices are in € and usually just that bit cheaper than amazon. Also they have free postage and no minimum purchase.

It baffles me how Easons and other Irish book stores can justify their rip off prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Is the book depository not owned by amazon?

It seems that they do! I'd imagine that the reason for higher prices on amazon for books compared to the depository is because amazon sells other products also. So when someone is purchasing items on amazon they may decide to buy books also and end up paying that bit extra just for "convenience" of having all in the one order. I'm sure amazon know what they're doing anyway. It pained me to see overpriced Irish bookstores full of shoppers over the holidays, I felt like telling them all its way cheaper online! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Most of the people I see that go into Easons use it as a library.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Use bookfinder.com to get the best price
    One should shop around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

baboo800 wrote: »

I believe they do, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

JDAWG90 wrote: »
    That's aside from the point, but yes I'm aware of that but then you have the charge for making a £ payment on a € account. Book depository is better, it's prices are in € and usually just that bit cheaper than amazon. Also they have free postage and no minimum purchase.

It baffles me how Easons and other Irish book stores can justify their rip off prices!

Kennys of Galway is an excellent Irish online bookstore, very like bookdepository,with free delivery and euro prices.

http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

baboo800 wrote: »
    Yes it is.

But Book Depository have a different pricing model to Amazon - no order or delivery charges - so smart people use Book Depository! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Yes it is.

But Book Depository have a different pricing model to Amazon - no order or delivery charges - so smart people use Book Depository! :)

Except when its significantly dearer for the same product, which is often. Smart people check both, plus other retailers, always.

Can honestly say I've never seen a book on depository that was dearer than amazon but I have seen increases in some book prices and then the raise the quoted rrp and then say it's actually a bigger discount which it ain't! But I'm not willing to complain because they are cheapest around unless u buy second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Yes it is.

I find, even with the delivery charge, Abe Books or Amazon often work out a lot cheaper than Book Depository. Their prices can be extremely high.

I find, even with the delivery charge, Abe Books or Amazon often work out a lot cheaper than Book Depository. Their prices can be extremely high.

there are 2 bookdepository websites, .com and .co.uk, the UK version is often about 20% cheaper than the US. The differences are down to the differing RRPs between the UK and US and exchange rates.

Advertisement