Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this core2 cpu work in an 800MHz mobo?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLB9J.html - Core2Duo E8400.

The CPU bus speed is 1333MHz, will this work on a mobo that only goes to 800, underclocking if you like ?

It may seem a strange thing to ask I know; I already have the mobo, the CPU might go cheap, its the same socket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd imagine so, not entirely sure though. I do know that RAM speeds are affected, i.e. RAM can't run faster than 800 MHz.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The CPU speed is 3GHz, its the FSB that's 1333MHz. Either way the 800MHz limit will almost certainly refer to the max RAM speed, which is standard for DDR2 motherboards.

tl:dr You should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd imagine so, not entirely sure though. I do know that RAM speeds are affected, i.e. RAM can't run faster than 800 MHz.
    deconduo wrote: »
    The CPU speed is 3GHz, its the FSB that's 1333MHz. Either way the 800MHz limit will almost certainly refer to the max RAM speed, which is standard for DDR2 motherboards.

tl:dr You should be fine.

Both wrong answers. The cpu is a newer Penryn core 2 architecture (45nm), the board is designed for the older Conroe (65nm), both of which use the same socket. Not all of the older boards accept newer core 2 cpu's.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

It may work, but you're going to have to Google the motherboard model number. The board may just need a bios flash if one was released for it. Don'yt expect to be able to overclock, whilst the cpu may work, it will not perform as well as a board designed for the newer cpu

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Both wrong answers. The cpu is a newer Penryn core 2 architecture (45nm), the board is designed for the older Conroe (65nm), both of which use the same socket. Not all of the older boards accept newer core 2 cpu's.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

It may work, but you're going to have to Google the motherboard model number. The board may just need a bios flash if one was released for it. Don'yt expect to be able to overclock, whilst the cpu may work, it will not perform as well as a board designed for the newer cpu

I did a quick check and there are a few of the very oldest Pentium 4/Pentium D motherboards that max out at 800MHz on the FSB. It would have to be a dinosaur of a board to be one of those, but its worth double checking I suppose. I still think its more likely that its a DDR2 board with the RAM maxing out at 800MHz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

deconduo wrote: »
    I did a quick check and there are a few of the very oldest Pentium 4/Pentium D motherboards that max out at 800MHz on the FSB. It would have to be a dinosaur of a board to be one of those, but its worth double checking I suppose. I still think its more likely that its a DDR2 board with the RAM maxing out at 800MHz.

It depends on the support the board got from the manufacturer for the new architecture. Many manufacturers didn't bother and chose to concentrate on new products. Without the option in the bios it will not boot at all. Newer 45nm Core2 cpu's are not compatible with all older core2 mobo's. 45nm cpu's are only 4 years old so a board only needs to be 5 years old to fall into that core2 bracket, hardly a dinosaur as it takes a quad.

I've seen this happen, I've a friend put a build together and couldn't get it booting for this reason, that's about 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks for your helpful comments lads ! The board is a RC415T-AM made by ECS for Acer, for an Acer T660. It came with a 3.06 P4 HT.

I see some CPU fans for socket775 are 3pin and some 4pin, and some screw onto an X-shaped backplate,some have plastic clips.

Who can tell me the differences ?

I bought a plastic clip one (OK, yes it was cheap and you get what you pay for ....) and 3 plastic legs broke installing it. I only noticed when it kept turning off due to thermal overload while trying to install OS.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Thanks for your helpful comments lads ! The board is a RC415T-AM made by ECS for Acer, for an Acer T660. It came with a 3.06 P4 HT.

I see some CPU fans for socket775 are 3pin and some 4pin, and some screw onto an X-shaped backplate,some have plastic clips.

Who can tell me the differences ?

I bought a plastic clip one (OK, yes it was cheap and you get what you pay for ....) and 3 plastic legs broke installing it. I only noticed when it kept turning off due to thermal overload while trying to install OS.

Ah unfortunately thats one of the Radeon 200 chipset mobos, so it will only support the 65nm CPUs.

Advertisement