Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Social Workers Course

Options
  • 14-07-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am looking for a part time course that will qualify me to become a Social Worker. It has been sugested to me that I take a course in

BA in Social Care

or

Degree/Higher Diploma in Social Policy
    Diploma in Community and Youth Work
    BA in Community & Family Studies
    Msc/PGrad Diploma Child Protection & Welfare
    BA in Applied Social Studies

Has anyone any feedback from doing these courses or suggestions were I can take them or suggestions for other courses that may be relevant?

I am looking to do the course after work & am currently working in Dun Laoghaire but live in Dublin City.

Thanks for any help,
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Andrew,

CORU has a list of the approved qualifications in Social Work on its website here:

http://www.coru.ie/education-section/alias-41/alias-42/

Careers Portal has some information on the training etc required here: http://www.careersportal.ie/careers/detail.php?job_id=401

Generally if you do a Social Care or Social Science honours degree you will need to do a recognised fult-time post grad to get your NQSW.

UCC and Trinity both offer a 4 year degree that will qualify you as a Social Worker without requiring a further post grad qualification. These would generally be the quickest route to qualification if you don't already have an undergrad degree.

Most of the training is offered full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Hi Paperclip,

thanks for the reply. I have been checking it out and have been informed that its impossible to complete the course on a part-time basis with no work experience as the ratio of work placement plus academic study would not be feasible :-(

Im going to have to try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lindseycoc

Just wondering if you had any luck with part time courses etc or did you change paths? Looking for info myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Hi Lindsey,

Had to switch to a completely different course, unfortunately.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Grinder Man

Hi, does anyone have any information if I could complete 1 year of social care degree part time, them move into 2nd year of a full time course? anyone kmow where in dublin I could do part time year 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 greaghlane

Hi,
    Does anyone know if its possible to do a MA in social work -part time?
    I have a honours degree in Social Care.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

greaghlane wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if its possible to do a MA in social work -part time?
    I have a honours degree in Social Care.
    Thanks

No. http://www.iasw.ie/information.aspx?contentid=44
    As far as I know these are all full time.

Advertisement