Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost you to work?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Am trying to work out if its worth my while going back to work after maternity leave.

I will be driving 50 miles per day round trip plus parking of €60 per month. Then lunch on top of that. Junior will have to go into a creche and obviously there will be wear and tear on the car.

Am just wondering if you have worked out how much actually getting up and going to work costs you?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I worked it all out and that is why I had to give up.
    Cost of crèche
    Cost of commuting
    Lunches/clothes/misc

Then there are the work benefits
    Vhi
    Broadband
    Anything else

There are also person considerations
    Your sanity
    Isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work 25 hrs per week, creche for 1 is €217 per month for 3 half days.
    If I have to put my other baby in it will be €434 per month.
    I live very close to work so €25 per week does me for petrol.~ €100 per month.

I will then be working for €120 per week! Still has to be done.

I'm hoping to get evenings so I can have other half mind the babies most of the time.

I think its bad but, how do single parents work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, work it out every time i get a new contract.

Net pay plus pension, health insurance, laptop.
    Less petrol and car wear
    Less lunches at work
    Less work clothes
    Less creche

The difference for me between a four day week and a five day week is €10.50 a week at the moment.

Advertisement