Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV over mains

Options
  • 14-07-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I have a CCTV system in my house but I want to put a camera or two at a newly constructed garage. There are mains points in the garage but no cat5/RF cable was installed (wasn't thinking that far ahead...duh!).
    Is it possible to run the cctv signal back to my house via the mains, and if so, what kind of cameras and other gadgets do I need to do so.
    I'd lean towards a hard-wired system rather than wireless, but if there are decent wireless systems that I can connect up to my dvr fairly easily, I'd certainly have a look at those too.

TIA,

E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why not use an ip camera and use some Ethernet over power adapters to send back the images. The Ethernet over power adapters are usually plug and play.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why not use an ip camera and use some Ethernet over power adapters to send back the images. The Ethernet over power adapters are usually plug and play.
    That would be a good handy option.
    You can get DVRs that take IP cameras.
    For decent wireless you will pay big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Googling "ip cameras" and "ethernet over power adapters"

Muchly thanks all.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I have a Y-CAM knight inside the garage at the end of my garden. It's connected to the router in the house via a pair of TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapters.

It took about 20mins to mount the camera and have it up and running on the network. No issues with loss of connectivity over the last 12 months.

I use a local NAS and offsite archiving for the images, so I don't know anything about using this setup with a DVR.

Advertisement