Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions About the BSc (Hons) Mobile Communications & Security

Options
  • 14-07-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello All,

I have searched the threads for any information especially from both current and past students, on the LM083 BSc (Hons) Mobile Communications & Security course at UL; so far I've found none. So I would like any current student on the course or anyone who has already graduated from it, to give some comments and answer a 'few' smile.gif questions:

1. Below is an extract from the course description (blue highlights are mine):
    [Module descriptions are here: http://www.ece.ul.ie/images/LM083-module-outlines.pdf ]

"....This practical degree is about teaching you how to build secure systems to protect vital information, like bank details and medical records. You will be taught key concepts in computer and web security, such as: Software Development, Data Forensics, Ethical Hacking, Encryption, Computer Law and Ethics, Cloud Computing fundamentals and security.

Students of this course will be equipped with the expertise to be a leader in the on-going mobile networking revolution. As a graduate of this course, you will be well placed to build the secure and safe networks and systems of the future and also to tackle web and computer based crime. You will gain a thorough knowledge of the internet, mobile and wireless devices, computer programming and systems design. Our well-equipped laboratory facilities will enable you to acquire practical experience that will make you very competitive in today's and tomorrow's job market.

The first year is designed to provide students with a strong practical and theoretical foundation in: computing and programming languages, digital and analogue electronics, computer architecture and mathematics.

In years 2, 3 and 4, the material covered comes under the following four major ICT related topics:

§ Software – Programming for computers and mobile devices, software engineering, distributed and web based software design, mobile software and advanced operating systems.

§ Cryptography and Security – The science of security, ethical hacking, encryption fundamentals and standards, data forensics, computer law, ethics and IT systems design.

§ Telecommunications and The Cloud– The Internet, fixed, wireless and mobile communications, protocols and standards, web programming and Cloud Computing.

§ Artificial Intelligence and Expert SystemsComputer systems architecture, advanced graphics, robotics, sensors and actuators.

All the topics are reinforced with hands-on practical laboratory material. Industrial work experience is normally provided through a positive and motivating thirty-week period of Cooperative Education, which is an integral part of the course beginning in the spring of year 3. In the final year (yr 4) students undertake a major individual project, which in general solves a real world problem..."

QUESTIONS:

1. As a student/graduate of the course could you say you are experiencing or have experienced all that is stated above about the course? What is/was your experience and what do you recommend? ---Thanks.

2. I understand the course used to be BSc Applied Computing and Network Technologies? Therefore, the new name and probably the content are supposed to reflect a mobile systems/networks AND cyber/IT/network/information security emphasis/outcome? Do you feel this goal (especially the security component), is being practically achieved with the course so far?--Thanks.

3. The nature of the course would require a lot of practical/lab/hands-on work generally and particularly for the mobile, networking and security modules (including penetration testing/ethical hacking, computer forensics, etc)...Could you say this is/was actually the case as your experience on the course? Are the facilities available to deliver?---Thanks.

4. There are some graduate comments posted here: http://www.ece.ul.ie/index.php/mobile-communications-a-security/lm083-graduates.html

These are interesting, but they seem like those who studied on the former course (Applied Computing and Network Technologies), judging from their years of graduation? Any comments? If you are a graduate from the course are you using knowledge/skills from the course (including the security aspect)? Could you highlight/explain a bit? ---Thanks.

5. From what I've read on boards so far, most students seem to go for the Computer Systems course. What could you say about the student numbers and interest for the Mobile Communications & Security course? --Thanks

6. What about the lecturers and staff...please give your candid comments.
    --Thanks.

Lastly, I welcome comments and response from even tutors, lecturers and the course leader if they would want to add anything.
    [NB: I have exhaustively read everything (and listened to the videos, including on Youtube), about the course as posted on the UL web site.]

A big thank you to all for your time and input.

gaspar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 darrenildinho

I'm going into second year of the course and so far its been pretty alright. The only major complaint about it by most of the people in the course is the amount of electronics covered. However first semester this is very basic electronics but in the second semester be prepared to be thrown neck deep into more advanced electronics. This is because we share a common year with the electronics course so it's to be expected. I'd recommend having some prior knowledge of electronics or being ready to really pay attention in the more electronic modules (especially in the second semester..)

In response to your questions

1. I feel its been a pretty decent course so far. We havent gotten much into the computer side yet ie cryptography and such but we have learned some programming and a bit about how computers are made up and work. It hasnt been too hard but I'd recommend if you were to do this course to keep on top of all your programming assignments these are how what mainly thought me how to programm. Also dont get discouraged by the electronics its actually not all that bad when you work at it. The maths isnt too bad either.

2. In first year the main focus is on teaching everyone the fundamentals of computers and electronics so you shouldn't get too disheartened if you find this stuff tedious. As far as I'm aware now it should be picking up to be more about the mobile communications and security from second year on it's just first year is kind of an introduction to the basics mostly.

3.Yes there is a lot of lab work. The facilities are pretty decent and the staff and support around UL are really helpful. The lab technicians in the electronics labs were brilliant. They helped us out a lot. For learning computer programming there was around 5 labs a week your meant to go to one but nobody's going to complain if you go to more (unless the lab is packed and people have nowhere to sit which is very rarely the case) The support available for this is brilliant aswell with a learning centre just for helping people learn to program.

4. I'm only going into second year and unfortunately dont know any graduates from the course.. but however the programming lecturer we had has reminded us on several occasions that they're are a lot of jobs for graduates with programming and computer knowledge.

5.Mobile Comms doesnt have a huge number of people in it. I think we started out with around 24 people in the course and now we're down to around 18-19 due to people changing courses and dropping out and whatnot. Im not sure about final year numbers. I think that this courses low numbers may be due to not enough being known by people about it as you said you've had trouble finding out information about it yourself. But yeah in brief it covers a fairly wide variety of computer related subjects and also gives you some basic knowledge of the electronics behind how the computers work

6.The Lecturers are mostly very good and will help you whenever you ask for it. Some of the lecturers arent great but you'll know these when you meet em.. Luckilly theres support centres and other staff (lab technicians) to help you where the lecturers might have left you down.

Hope this helps but keep in mind I'm only through first year so I dont know how helpful this info will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iamgaspar

Thanks darrenildinho,
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I take note of your comments and they are very helpful. thanks again.

Advertisement