Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

@kkeliher - do you think those prices high/low/ok ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

galwaytt wrote: »
    @kkeliher - do you think those prices high/low/ok ??

It depends on the spec, I strongly believe that cost per ft2 or m2 is no guide to the accuracy of a price as it takes no account of the finish of the property. If they are based on Qs estimates then they will generally contain a lot of PC SUMs for finishes which in my experience generally get blown out of the water unless the client is very cost driven as a client will generally pick a tile etc that they like as opposed to the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Looking for cost of a new house build in Dublin 4. Few details below:

House Type: Two Storey Detached
    GFA: 105m2
    Roof finish: Black Tiles
    Plaster finish: Napp Sand & Cement
    Windows & Doors: Double Glazed Timber Windows
    Rainwater goods: Black PVC
    Joinery: Red Deal Doors & Skirtings throughout

Any idea on a costing?

...got written advice today of C24 timber price increase of 7% effective immediately..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

kkelliher wrote: »
    It depends on the spec, I strongly believe that cost per ft2 or m2 is no guide to the accuracy of a price as it takes no account of the finish of the property. If they are based on Qs estimates then they will generally contain a lot of PC SUMs for finishes which in my experience generally get blown out of the water unless the client is very cost driven as a client will generally pick a tile etc that they like as opposed to the cost.

So true. But when that is the metric that clients are using to decide on whether or what to build, it's very hard to not have a number to hand.

You could build a €15k extension and then put a €20k kitchen into it, blowing all the numbers out of the water.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Hi, considering self build in North Wicklow. Would be about 2500-3000 sq ft. Finished to turn key standard? What kind of figures should I be thinking about? I know it will depend on quality of finish etc but just need to get some idea based on current rates. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

Robertr wrote: »
    Hi, considering self build in North Wicklow. Would be about 2500-3000 sq ft. Finished to turn key standard? What kind of figures should I be thinking about? I know it will depend on quality of finish etc but just need to get some idea based on current rates. Thanks.

How are you planning on self building ??

hexosan wrote: »
    How are you planning on self building ??

Probably wrong term. I mean I want to pay for someone to build for me.

we have received a tender back, on friday, for a one off property in wicklow. 5 prices returned. build cost is working out at approx €134/ft2 for the structure but finished product is working out at €223/ft2 when all finishes, boundaries, garage, landscaping, entrance and others are included. house was just under 3500 ft2 and was A rated.

you can spend whatever you wish as every one off is different

we have received a tender back, on friday, for a one off property in wicklow. 5 prices returned. build cost is working out at approx €134/ft2 for the structure but finished product is working out at €223/ft2 when all finishes, boundaries, garage, landscaping, entrance and others are included. house was just under 3500 ft2 and was A rated.

you can spend whatever you wish as every one off is different

I assume thats on the expensive side? €780,000?

• Advertisement

I assume thats on the expensive side? €780,000?

its on a high spec finish with alot of smart technology, long driveway, lots of boundary walls and the like but it is a true cost including for all items

...got written advice today of C24 timber price increase of 7% effective immediately..............

Look at the date of the above post - 19th June - and we come back from hols today at the office to find another notice of a further 2% increase from the 4th August.

Kinda hard to keep up at that rate of change............

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

I am in the process of building on a narrow site in Blackrock Co Dublin area. Working out at approx 141 ex vat per sq ft for 1900 sq ft. This price includes 6k sanitary allowance, 11k kitchen, 2.5k utility, 4k wardrobe. Demolition and site clearance was involved. Allowances for flooring & tiling also included in fixed price contract. Build will be A3 rated. Went to tender with 8 contractors and price varied wildly.

A few things to note with a build:
    • Banks typically loan 90%
    • You need 10% contingency for overruns - your first drawdown will be reduced by this amount. You basically have to front up your contingency at the start.
    • You cannot borrow for: development contributions, architects fees, QS fees, engineer fees, BER assessor - basically any professional fee except legal
    • You cannot borrow to furnish the house
    • You need cash for stamp duty if buying a site
    • Architects fees are 10-20% - new building regs have pushed these up

All told, you need a lot more cash to build than to buy, even if ultimately both will cost the same.

The RIAI publish typical rebuild cost annually, this will give you a ball park.

When choosing a contractor, if cost is an issue, go for a small operation. Numerous directors, secretaries, sales people etc all add to fixed running costs that a one man show won't have.

Employ a QS.

Architect fees should not be underestimated especially with the additional work the new building regs have caused.

Ask yourself - do I really need 3000 sq ft? Or, would I rather have something slightly smaller and enjoy life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davejen14

Hi all hoping to get some advice. My husband and I have our eye on a fabulous .75 ac site. It has been for sale for 6 month now. I called the estate agent and they told me 6 months ago they had a few people working on plans for the site as it is STPP. I understand that you have to have plans done before sale but if so many people are supposedly interested would it still be online for sale?

Other questions :
    What steps do we take if we wanted to look at buying this site - do we have to get plans all completed
    If so who does this?
    How much does it cost?
    How would we go about buying the site and what does that all entail? Apologies for all the questions I just don't have a clue about any of this! Thank you in advance any replies appreciated!

Davejen14 wrote: »
    Hi all hoping to get some advice. My husband and I have our eye on a fabulous .75 ac site. It has been for sale for 6 month now. I called the estate agent and they told me 6 months ago they had a few people working on plans for the site as it is STPP. I understand that you have to have plans done before sale but if so many people are supposedly interested would it still be online for sale?

Other questions :
    What steps do we take if we wanted to look at buying this site - do we have to get plans all completed
    If so who does this?
    How much does it cost?
    How would we go about buying the site and what does that all entail? Apologies for all the questions I just don't have a clue about any of this! Thank you in advance any replies appreciated!
    • You can buy a site without planning permission - but this would be a gamble.
    • You could get permission from the seller to go for planning prior to purchasing the site - but this will cost you money in architect fees and there is still no guarantee you would be able to buy the site.
    • Planning process takes approx 8 weeks so odd that the seller hasn't yet got planning - unless it has been refused. Check the planning section on the local authority website to see what the planning history is.
    • To buy the site, the seller should have his solicitor draw up a contract of sale and send it to your solicitor. You will also need to go to the bank and get mortgage approval - part of this will involve an independent valuation of the site. The bank will be reluctant to lend if there is no planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hi all,

we are designing our house at the moment, (rural Galway, 3000ft2);

we are putting a budget together; we can measure the measurable; the windows, doors, blocks, stairs, elect, plumb etc.

are there many hidden/immeasurable costs to be aware of & could you advise on approx cost;
    e.g.
    connection to ESB
    connection to group water scheme
    TV connection
    development contribution
    5% contingency
    Building insurance
    etc

Many thanks CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Try to ask Quantity surveyors, they can help.
    Did You think about using AEROC?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hi all,

we are designing our house at the moment, (rural Galway, 3000ft2);

are there many hidden/immeasurable costs to be aware of & could you advise on
    CC
    yes there are, too many to list. My advice would be have a qs do a +/-20% costing at pre-planning stage. It'll cost maybe 300ex vat.please have a reD around the forum. Do not under estimate the cost of the new building control regs(professional fees), part L compliance(renewable energy) planning contributions, conditions(waste treatment) & connection fees.
    Best of luck on your build

hi,

we have a qs, but we were looking for homebuilders real life/on the ground experiences

what is aeroc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

My advice.

Let the architect design the house.
    Reduce the size by 25-33% (cost to build, cost to heat, hassle of cleaning etc).

hi,
    we have an architect on board, we are happy with the size, layout, the stuff you can see + touch; where were are looking for info is the intanagible items, that are not physically there on the drawing, you wont see when built

hi,

we have a qs, but we were looking for homebuilders real life/on the ground experiences

I am shocked at this :eek: that you would think a QS does not have real life/ on the ground experience of costs..... If your QS cannot provide you with a full list of costs then you are certainly in for a long road.

I am shocked at this :eek: that you would think a QS does not have real life/ on the ground experience of costs..... If your QS cannot provide you with a full list of costs then you are certainly in for a long road.

He’s working on the measurements ATM,
    I enjoy reading the various topic posts on boards & thought I’d throw it up for discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

He’s working on the measurements ATM,
    I enjoy reading the various topic posts on boards & thought I’d throw it up for discussion

What kind of spec have you gotten for your house?
    How much floor insulation?
    What size cavity?
    Airtightness target?

If you have a design completed have you done a provisional BER or phpp?

hi,

What kind of spec have you gotten for your house? well insulated, airtight + MHRV, after that it's movable based on the bank

How much floor insulation? 125mm GF + 50mm on HC on 1st
    What size cavity? 200mm with beads
    Airtightness target? 1m3/hr/m2

If you have a design completed have you done a provisional BER or phpp?
    not yet, will engage after PP

hi,

what is aeroc?

...you have PM's disabled - drop me a PM, and I'll send you some Galway references you can check to see what they spent.

Ode To The Motorist

...you have PM's disabled - drop me a PM, and I'll send you some Galway references you can check to see what they spent.

Charlie - got your pm, but you have replies switched off , so can't reply to it - send me a contact method by pm.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Naochanaoi

Hi Galwaytt
    Would you mind sending me those references as well?

• Advertisement

Will do.

Just noticed we don't have a 2014 price thread, so putting it in here.

On a related note, got the numbers for a new build starting on Monday, under new DC/AC regime, from a client yesterday.

220m2, A3 rating, two-storey. €300k Inc fees to builders finish. No kitchen or sanitary ware included. €1,363 per m2 is what that's working out at. Has some design features pushing the cost a bit (balconies) but gives you an idea.

[edit] sorry, got something wrong earlier: price does include sanitary ware. Also included is room-sealed, double-sided fireplace, HRV, all mech & elec, thermodynamic panels to roof, internal joinery. Glazing is triple glazed.

Ode To The Motorist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement