Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

BryanF wrote: »
    yes there are, too many to list. My advice would be have a qs do a +/-20% costing at pre-planning stage. It'll cost maybe 300ex vat.please have a reD around the forum. Do not under estimate the cost of the new building control regs(professional fees), part L compliance(renewable energy) planning contributions, conditions(waste treatment) & connection fees.
    Best of luck on your build

We were also looking at building (probably 200square metres max) but have yet to decide on the style of house/plans to get. If we were to use a site like planahome to get the basic plans i.e. bronze package as on their site: "room layouts and dimensions, perfect for applying for planning permission.
    This includes the following items:
    • 8 sets of plans @ 1:100 scale on A3 sheets
    • Plans include Floor Layouts, Elevations and Sections"
    Could we use the above plans to get a costing from a QS, including all the new regulations? Also, on the site there are more substantial plans including costs, has anyone used this crowd before?

We are still not sure what design to go for and would like to get costings on a couple of basic designs prior to purchasing full plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

hadoken13 wrote: »
    We were also looking at building (probably 200square metres max) but have yet to decide on the style of house/plans to get. If we were to use a site like planahome to get the basic plans i.e. bronze package as on their site: "room layouts and dimensions, perfect for applying for planning permission.
    Could we use the above plans to get a costing from a QS, including all the new regulations? Also, on the site there are more substantial plans including costs, has anyone used this crowd before?

We are still not sure what design to go for and would like to get costings on a couple of basic designs prior to purchasing full plans.

I wouldn't bother with it.
    I would start out with the idea that it will cost me approx €1500/m2 to get to a decent level of finish with current regs. Add more for higher energy rating, above average finishes, difficult site conditions/access etc. Take off some if the opposite or in an area where labour is slightly cheaper.

If it's still viable after that for the size of house you want and taking into account the cost of the site, go to an architect. Tell him what you want and your budget. Bring these plans to QS to verify it can be done within budget. If it can and you are still happy to go ahead, proceed to planning.

kilclon wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with it.
    I would start out with the idea that it will cost me approx €1500/m2 to get to a decent level of finish with current regs. Add more for higher energy rating, above average finishes, difficult site conditions/access etc. Take off some if the opposite or in an area where labour is slightly cheaper.

If it's still viable after that for the size of house you want and taking into account the cost of the site, go to an architect. Tell him what you want and your budget. Bring these plans to QS to verify it can be done within budget. If it can and you are still happy to go ahead, proceed to planning.

Would it really cost that high? That's €300k for a 200 square metre house - there were 250 square metre houses going for €250k near where we live (Laois area) a few months ago. Our budget would be €200k on top of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Would it really cost that high? That's €300k for a 200 square metre house - there were 250 square metre houses going for €250k near where we live (Laois area) a few months ago. Our budget would be €200k on top of the site.

As Kilclon says, I don't see any point in paying for a plan set when you don't have a spec, build type or budget/estimate to work off.

What 250sq m houses were going for is kinda moot: they're not being built now, under current regs, and under the new BCMS.

Imho, stick to a budget, and based on yours of 200k, you're really looking at a 150m2 house. Do that, and do it well, and it will be a better job. You can always add to it in years to come.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

To put context to your budget have a look at the below list and allocate from costs from top to bottom. When you get to the bottom that is whats left to build your house.

Stamp Duty on site
    Legal Fees on purchase
    Council Contributions
    Architects Fees
    Engineers Fees
    Assigned Certifier Fees
    Quantity Surveyors Fees
    Bond Costs - if required by planning
    Land Registry mapping
    Premier Guarantee / Homebond
    ESB Networks connection
    Gas Connection / Oil (or not)
    Irish Water Connection
    Insurance
    Actual House Build Costs (structure, plumbing and heating)
    Finishes - Tiling, Painting, Joinery (doors, skirts, architraves), Kitchen units, Wardrobe units, sanitary ware
    Boundary Works / Fencing / entrance / gates
    Existing Site Clearance / Demolitions
    Landscaping - grass / driveway / planting
    Garage / Shed
    External Lighting
    VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Unfortunately the costs are in that region and that's with labour rates still suppressed. These can only go in one direction in my opinion as there is a huge shortage of skilled workers at the moment, especially in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

@kkelliher

This is a great list,
    the unseen/not physical costs of the building are massive,
    we're in preplanning phase ATM, to design and submit to pp 2-3500 plus vat, assigned certified 7-12k plus vat

kilclon wrote: »
    Unfortunately the costs are in that region and that's with labour rates still suppressed. These can only go in one direction in my opinion as there is a huge shortage of skilled workers at the moment, especially in Dublin.

Actually cost of labour is a smaller influence than people think. Materials are a lot higher now than 7 years ago when the last of the boom houses were built.
    That and kkelliher list above alone means houses are up in price to build, and will stay that way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As an arch tech and someone who designs houses for a living, i find the idea of buying Internet plans that don't consider orientation/ aspect/ views/ shading/ solar heat gain & loss - short sighted and counter productive. Best advice I can give is for you to prepare a folder of ideas & carefully consider a 'must have + nice to have' list and give these to your arch allowing them to design a house that suits you and the site. There is a retarded focus in Ireland where some think they are saving money by not engaging with the design phase, only to find they end up with a compromised house ( to proud to admit) spending more on running costs, with half used spaces (often the North facing rooms) that don't suit a changing families needs.

You talk about 'looking to build' a 200msq with a budget of 200k. Firstly your means dictate the house size. Secondly I believe an archs input will knock 1/4 of the floor area off a poorly designed bungalow bliss house any day, thereby paying for their fee. Thirdly, you cannot listen to friends and family regarding the cost of building, as this years building control act brought in by the idiot hogan makes self building tricky, therefor you need to cost practically everything to post second fix stage under a contractors scope

I wish you the very best of luck in your project.

Edit:

You are aware Ireland has gone through a financial melt down over the last 7years? Houses for sale have NOTHING to do with the cost of building a house��

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hi I'm from county Galway and that where I'd build I'd get a site of parents
    What would the average cost of building a house be for 1500 sq thanks just like an idea

• Advertisement

Hi I'm from county Galway and that where I'd build I'd get a site of parents
    What would the average cost of building a house be for 1500 sq thanks just like an idea

€190k to A3 spec imho

Ode To The Motorist

And herein lies where most people need to be clear.

As per my previous list, you need to clarify if you wish to know the average cost to build a house or the average cost of the house building process. They may sound the same but there is a vast difference in the two.

An architect, Engineer, contributions, landscaping, boundaries, driveways and the like will not be included in most peoples costs to build an actual house whereas they are an integral part of the process. You will hear some people say they built their house for x only to confirm that they have not done the outside, or did it over a number of years later......it still all counts towards what the cost of the process was.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

I have a plot of land in south county Dublin that I want to have a home built on. This will not be for another two years so I am only looking into this now for the first time. I am trying to figure out what type of costs are involved. I would imagine that there is a conveyance fee, planning permissionapplication fee, QS fee, connection of utilities fee, architects fee, the cost of the house (we are looking at a timber frame option). That is about all I can thinkof but I am sure there is one or two more.

Would anyone have any knowledge in this field?

Thanks,

S2S

I have a plot of land in south county Dublin that I want to have a home built on. This will not be for another two years so I am only looking into this now for the first time. I am trying to figure out what type of costs are involved. I would imagine that there is a conveyance fee, planning permissionapplication fee, QS fee, connection of utilities fee, architects fee, the cost of the house (we are looking at a timber frame option). That is about all I can thinkof but I am sure there is one or two more.

Thanks,

S2S

if you read through this thread you should get a good idea. I posted a list about 5 posts before this which gives a list of items required.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

That's great. Thanks for that

Thanks,

S2S

I think kkelliher's list above in post #397 above is a good start imho.

However as for pricing 2 years down the road, that really is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. Many of the numbers you seek are based on some premise of design, house type, quality and of course size.

For pure loosey-goosey pricing in the Dublin area I think you're looking at €1500/m2 in toto for a project. So, what size is your house ?

Ode To The Motorist

...had a guy on the phone today telling me he was putting in a CN and getting the blockwork started. ..... hasn't the first clue about SI9 or what a CN now entails .... But has a block layer "lined up"....... Thought he'd get 200m2 completed for " under 200k"......

Did I mention he's in the property business ?

Omg....

Ode To The Motorist

As an arch tech and someone who designs houses for a living, i find the idea of buying Internet plans that don't consider orientation/ aspect/ views/ shading/ solar heat gain & loss - short sighted and counter productive.

That's why I'm posting here first to get advice prior to finding out if online plans are worth it.
    Best advice I can give is for you to prepare a folder of ideas & carefully consider a 'must have + nice to have' list and give these to your arch allowing them to design a house that suits you and the site. There is a retarded focus in Ireland where some think they are saving money by not engaging with the design phase, only to find they end up with a compromised house ( to proud to admit) spending more on running costs, with half used spaces (often the North facing rooms) that don't suit a changing families needs.

Ye, we were going to be involved from the start - we just wanted a starting design to work from.
    You talk about 'looking to build' a 200msq with a budget of 200k. Firstly your means dictate the house size. Secondly I believe an archs input will knock 1/4 of the floor area off a poorly designed bungalow bliss house any day, thereby paying for their fee. Thirdly, you cannot listen to friends and family regarding the cost of building, as this years building control act brought in by the idiot hogan makes self building tricky, therefor you need to cost practically everything to post second fix stage under a contractors scope

I wish you the very best of luck in your project.

Thanks

Edit:

You are aware Ireland has gone through a financial melt down over the last 7years? Houses for sale have NOTHING to do with the cost of building a house��

Really? I wasn't aware.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ye, we were going to be involved from the start - we just wanted a starting design to work from.

thats a bad starting point

the design will have to suit the site topography, orientation and surroundings.

the best thing to do is to write down what you want, and split into things such as "necessary" and "wishful"... and "what we dont want".
    sometimes clients find it easier to describe what they dont like than what they do.

allow the designer to design.

remember, most counties now have rural design guidelines which the designer will have to adhere to.
    see here for an excellent example

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a bad starting point

remember, most counties now have rural design guidelines which the designer will have to adhere to.
    see here for an excellent example

I found one for my area and the main topics are:

Assess your Requirements
    · Draft a design brief
    · Appoint an architect or suitably qualified designer
    · Choose a suitable site

Select the Site
    · Landscape character and context
    · Landform and vegetation
    · Views into and out of the area
    · Settlement pattern
    · Micro-climate and sustainable energy
    · Vehicle access requirements
    · Service infrastructure

Plan the Site
    · consider the effects of
    · topography
    · energy efficiency
    · building proportion and set back
    · means of access and parking
    · plot boundaries
    · garden design

Design the House
    · Consider
    · building scale and form
    · elevational treatments
    · materials and colours
    · roof profiles and chimneys
    · fenestration - windows and doors

Looking at this list, it is as you guys stated, design comes after site selection and planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

galwaytt wrote: »
    .... got the numbers for a new build starting on Monday, under new DC/AC regime, from a client yesterday.

220m2, A3 rating, two-storey. €300k Inc fees to builders finish. No kitchen or sanitary ware included. €1,363 per m2 is what that's working out at. Has some design features pushing the cost a bit (balconies) but gives you an idea.

[edit] sorry, got something wrong earlier: price does include sanitary ware. Also included is room-sealed, double-sided fireplace, HRV, all mech & elec, thermodynamic panels to roof, internal joinery. Glazing is triple glazed.

Does this price include VAT or is that on top? I presume it's also just the build cost so he could be paying his architect another 8-10%+VAT on top of that?

Does this price include VAT or is that on top? I presume it's also just the build cost so he could be paying his architect another 8-10%+VAT on top of that?

No, that includes VAT.

Arch Fees not included.

Got sight of another tender this a.m. in East Galway- 261m2, good spec, to builders finish €1,408/m2 is what it works out at, incl VAT, by a contractor. Again, arch fees are not included.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

My advise to anyone building today, build smaller if you are on a tight budget to the size of house you expect to build. The days of 100 Euro per sq ft are long gone. In the tender process myself in Mayo at the minute, ranging from 120 to 160 per sq ft with a decent finish incl kitchen, all flooring and tiling, painting etc. A3 airtight house with GSHP and underfloor heating. House has to be furnished etc afterwards plus some landscaping also.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Mixupat wrote: »
    In the tender process myself in Mayo at the minute, ranging from 120 to 160 per sq ft with a decent finish

is there anyplace/items you were surprised were so expensive?

we did a take-off a while back, surprised the cost of insulation & plumbing/heating were so high
    good suprised the elec & windows were lower than we had thought

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Hi Charlie, I dont have enough knowledge of the build process to know that one part of the build is expensive or not but I was hoping for it to be a bit cheaper than it is coming out for the overall job. I guess with the spec of the house's now, this is the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here, new build in Donegal.. I'm currently getting ready to pour floors. House is being finished to a builders standard.

Included in price:
    200m^2 2 story house
    50m^2 garage
    Triple glazed windows
    Airtight (wrapped hollow core etc)
    200mm cavity fully pumped
    150mm ground floor insulation, 50mm upstairs
    400mm in attic (I might be wrong there but think it's right)
    Septic tank & peculation area
    Lots of steel due to large windows and open spaces
    Decent electrical spec (CAT 5e, alarm system, recessed lights etc)
    Good bit of filling was required
    Stone at front of house with granite sills

Not included:
    Fees
    Heating (GSHP) and plumbing
    MHRV
    Kitchen
    Bathrooms
    Central vacuum system

Being built by a contractor price is Eur196k. So it works out at just less than EUR1000/m^2 (or EUR 785/m^2 if you include garage).

I actually had cheaper quotes but I was not happy/impressed with their answers to air tight questions and insulation. So I went wit the bit more expensive man who has built low energy homes before.

I have estimated that by the time all of the not included things are added in the total price will be EUR260k to EUR270k.

Regards,

WM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

hi GUys

When people speak of 80 - 160 per square foot cost for a build , does this include cost of architect and planning / assigned certifier etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mickman wrote: »
    hi GUys

When people speak of 80 - 160 per square foot cost for a build , does this include cost of architect and planning / assigned certifier etc?

Professional/council/connection Fees are normally excluded

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Happy New Year folks,

Finally got approval from bank to commence a build this year after three years of a fight.

Due to change in personal circumstances (along with most people in the country) the amount being lent by the bank is less then I had planned on back in 2011. As a result, from reading prices quoted on this and some other threads, I feel that the top line budget of 210k is going to be someway short of whats needed to build the house we had hoped for as it is 2300 sq ft.

We'll be meeting our architect shortly to finalise the specs for the tender pack and to be honest I'm feeling overwhelmed by the decisions that need to be made.

I would be grateful for any opinions on what people would consider the areas that should be prioritized. For example we are now going to go with rendered walls rather then a stone finish. I presume that we should be aspiring for a decent B BER and try to maximize insulation etc. I am also leaning towards stoves with back boiler with oil for heating and going rads rather then UFH.

For clarity the figure of 210k is for build only incl VAT, not to include any fees etc

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 sparks3000

tbukela wrote: »
    Happy New Year folks,

Finally got approval from bank to commence a build this year after three years of a fight.

Due to change in personal circumstances (along with most people in the country) the amount being lent by the bank is less then I had planned on back in 2011. As a result, from reading prices quoted on this and some other threads, I feel that the top line budget of 210k is going to be someway short of whats needed to build the house we had hoped for as it is 2300 sq ft.

We'll be meeting our architect shortly to finalise the specs for the tender pack and to be honest I'm feeling overwhelmed by the decisions that need to be made.

I would be grateful for any opinions on what people would consider the areas that should be prioritized. For example we are now going to go with rendered walls rather then a stone finish. I presume that we should be aspiring for a decent B BER and try to maximize insulation etc. I am also leaning towards stoves with back boiler with oil for heating and going rads rather then UFH.

For clarity the figure of 210k is for build only incl VAT, not to include any fees etc

Thanks in advance
    100 euro per square ft

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement