Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Any opinions on approaching a builder to negotiate a price rather than going out to tender? Specifically in relation to a build with a very tight budget and time constraints.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tbukela wrote: »
    Any opinions on approaching a builder to negotiate a price rather than going out to tender? Specifically in relation to a build with a very tight budget and time constraints.

Approaching a builder and negotiating price IS going to tender. ....

Just do it with at least 3 builders.

If time is an issue simply tell them that's it's ready to go and you need their price within x days.

Going to one builder cannot give you a realistic indication whether you've got the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

hi can i ask you all using building contractors re the new law that came in last year!! my uncle is a block layer and is out of work atm so i wouunding does anyone know any way he can do the block work and does it have to be signed off... kildare area!!
    its a bungolow with a high roof with the intension of having upstairs at a later date when we have more money

thanks this board is brill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

tbukela wrote: »

I have seen this done many times but in nearly all cases you will pay more than you would in a competitive tender.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

blue star wrote: »
    hi can i ask you all using building contractors re the new law that came in last year!! my uncle is a block layer and is out of work atm so i wouunding does anyone know any way he can do the block work and does it have to be signed off... kildare area!!
    its a bungolow with a high roof with the intension of having upstairs at a later date when we have more money

thanks this board is brill

Ask the main contractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kkelliher wrote: »
    I have seen this done many times but in nearly all cases you will pay more than you would in a competitive tender.

... Possibly. But tenders often turn into a race to the bottom, and quality is the first casualty. It turns into what can be saved everywhere to do the bare minimum.

No harm trying your suggested approach and if the numbers don't fit your expectations then going to tender. In a 1:1 situation you can be far more explicit on your requirements.

From a builder's side 1:1 has the advantage of knowing negotiations are earnest, it's possible to to a better job with a fair return.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

galwaytt wrote: »
    ... Possibly. But tenders often turn into a race to the bottom, and quality is the first casualty. It turns into what can be saved everywhere to do the bare minimum.

No harm trying your suggested approach and if the numbers don't fit your expectations then going to tender. In a 1:1 situation you can be far more explicit on your requirements.

From a builder's side 1:1 has the advantage of knowing negotiations are earnest, it's possible to to a better job with a fair return.
    For a builder there's no much room to play, only the cost of labor, rest is constant: materials, insurance, fuel, accountant, PRSI, tax, usc, tools.
    From my personal experience, block layers didn't work better just because they got better pay, it's about knowledge and experience, hands don't think about money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

For a builder there's no much room to play, only the cost of labor, rest is constant: materials, insurance, fuel, accountant, PRSI, tax, usc, tools.
    From my personal experience, block layers didn't work better just because they got better pay, it's about knowledge and experience, hands don't think about money!

That's true to a certain extent certainly. But you're working on the assumption that all builds have the same labour content.

Off site construction methods ( which is where I work - and there are lots of others in this country), can build a structure more quickly. These have a lower labour content and shorter on site build times.

So, keeping all other components equal, and ignoring all other factors completely, and paying everyone the same hourly rate, any project with less labour costs less.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's true to a certain extent certainly. But you're working on the assumption that all builds have the same labour content.

Off site construction methods ( which is where I work - and there are lots of others in this country), can build a structure more quickly. These have a lower labour content and shorter on site build times.

So, keeping all other components equal, and ignoring all other factors completely, and paying everyone the same hourly rate, any project with less labour costs less.
    I'll disagree with You about labor content, I say it's same amount or even more labor just more diverse more work done in workshop means faster and cheaper. more fixed costs than variable costs.
    But still only thing You can trade on and reduce the price is company's profit. With contractor all what he makes is his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Thanks for the replies. I had gotten an estimate from this builder previously based on the planning drawings and Arch has said that he feels it is very competitive. He is suggesting sitting down with the builder, seeing what type of a spec he had priced and see if both sides believe there is room to negotiate. If the differences are insurmountable then move on to a competitive tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

@Moderator should this thread be closed and a new one opened, i.e. 2015/2016?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hadoken13 wrote: »
    @Moderator should this thread be closed and a new one opened, i.e. 2015/2016?

as requested
    new thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359777

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement