Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mj_mam

archtech wrote: »
    €58/sq.foot is low for a finished house by today's standards. I'm not saying that the house can't be built for the figure, however I can see why the Bank are concerned. While you have accounted for a some of the labour costs, materials are by far the largest cost to a project these days. Building costs of €58/sq. were typical of the mid to late 1990's, and at that time material were cheaper and the standard of build far less.

I would suggest that you should get a costed Bill of Quantities prepared that demonstrates to the bank that the work can actually be done for the figure. You should include a contingency sum that could be used in the event that one or more of the "helper" parties becoming unavailable.

To be honest I would be concerned that your house achieves compliance with Part L of the building regs, the insulation spec seems low and while it achieves a B1 BER it may not actually comply with the regs in terms of meeting the require EPC ad CPC values. Had you had construction drawings and details prepared by any chance?

Have you asked yourself do you really need a house of almost, 3000sq.feet?

Remember the bank will want to ensure that the security (your house) is completed to a finished level, so that they can at least re-couple their money if circumstances arise that they need to do so.

Thank you for your reply.
    Would my Engineer do up the costed bill of quantities?

Could I ask what EPC and CPC values are? I haven't come across these.
    The energy assessor did his evaluation off the same plans we provided to our local council.

As for the size, it's not that we need it right now, but for the future, we don't particularly want to be extending, so we're building it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Currently jumping through the banks hoops to demolish and rebuild most of our house, keeping and renovating 3 bedrooms and knocking the rest to be replaced with 152sqm part flatfoot part 1 1/2 story extension.

Our architect has given us a preliminary cost of €289,000 - bit high in my view.

The bank have decided this is far to high and have estimated cost of about €230,000?

Have to say the banks figure was based on nothing but the opinion of the bank official sitting behind her desk - nothing scientific about it just "ah that seems very high, let's say it will cost about €...."???

I feel for you, our 72 hour decision has turned into a 45 day and counting decision

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Im not saying your architect is pricing too high or too low. Maybe he/she is erring on the side of caution and the project may well cost less than their estimate, but how can anyone in a bank estimate build costs for a part renovation/part new build?
    The best thing you could do is have it professionally priced to be sure of your costs. At least then you know how much borrowings you need and you start off on the right foot. You can also present this to your bank and they can also be assured that the project can be built to the budget decided upon.

Im not saying your architect is pricing too high or too low. Maybe he/she is erring on the side of caution and the project may well cost less than their estimate, but how can anyone in a bank estimate build costs for a part renovation/part new.

Thats the point, in my case the person in the bank pulled figures from the air or from behind her ear (not sure which), right in front of me, magic! Her first suggestion was to patch up our existing flat roof and forget about the rebuild! Mind you she wasn't living with mould growning on her walls and damp seeping up through the on existing foundations?

Thats the point, in my case the person in the bank pulled figures from the air, right in front of me, magic! Her first suggestion was to patch up our existing flat roof and forget about the rebuild! Mind you she wasn't living with mould growning on her walls and damp seeping up through the on existing foundations?

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable.

Sure theres more of this story to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

mj_mam wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    Would my Engineer do up the costed bill of quantities?

Could I ask what EPC and CPC values are? I haven't come across these.
    The energy assessor did his evaluation off the same plans we provided to our local council.

As for the size, it's not that we need it right now, but for the future, we don't particularly want to be extending, so we're building it now.

Generally speaking engineers are not the best people to provide costed bills of quantities (BoQ). its bread and butter stuff for quantity surveyors(qs) and one prepared by a professionally qualified qs should carry enough weight with the bank, if s/he can and are willing to stand over your figures as the cost of the project.

Rather than taking this thread off topic, it would be better to discuss building reg compliance under a new thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We are currently in negotiations with the bank for a mortgage of 170k.
    The bank seem to think that 170k will not cover the cost of the build, getting very negative energy from them.

The house we intend to build is 2950sq ft, two story, simple A shaped roof with 2 story "porch" coming out the front center.

Just wondering what people here think of this cost estimate? We would also have about 22k in savings, so it does come close to 200k that we would have to spend.

Also, my other half is a block layer, will do all blocks and stone work.
    His brother is a carpenter and will do all inside carpentry work; skirting/arch, hang doors, fit kitchen/utility and stairs.
    His brother in law is a plumber and has quoted us 2,500 for labour.
    Family friend supplying scaffolding and excavating site.
    A relative will be doing the roofing for us.
    We are also connecting to exisiting ESB/Mains water/sewerage connections on site.

-2950sq ft in total
    - BER Rating B1
    - 150mm pre-stressed concrete slab between the floors
    - kitchen/utility (hoping to cover both with 9,000)
    - 2 bathrooms, 1 ensuite (en-suite and 1 bath with chrome towel rad, other bath with normal rad)
    - 11 other double rads (no sizes yet)
    - approx 4m2 solar panel
    - 300mm cavity wall with 100mm pumped bead insulation
    - double glazed windows
    - slated roof with 300mm rockwool fill

We are hoping to get to "move in" finish; ie. kitchen and bathrooms finished, along with 1 bedroom and landscaping completed.

Engineer has done report with cost coming in at €58 per sq ft, but he is still thinking the bank will have more to say on this!

We are in Kilkenny by the way.

if you are getting family / friends to carry out works for free.... then you need to include it in a balance sheet somewhere for the banks to see.

you must remember that you are dealing with accountants at the end of the day.

€58 per sq ft may be manageable if you can show that labour costs, when included bring the price up to the region of 70-75 ... and then show that these costs are offset for free.

in my experience banks are looking for much more detailed breakdowns than they used to.

Thank you both for your replies. Will be looking into a BoQ with a qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tipptipptipp away

Just wondering what it would cost to finish a 90-95% complete 4 bed dormo bungallow house located in North Tipperary. The electrical wiring is nearly fully completed, radiators installed downstairs but not upstairs. The septic tank is not installed, esb and water connection needed. All rooms are plastered and painted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just wondering what it would cost to finish a 90-95% complete 4 bed dormo bungallow house located in North Tipperary. The electrical wiring is nearly fully completed, radiators installed downstairs but not upstairs. The septic tank is not installed, esb and water connection needed. All rooms are plastered and painted.
    Moved to a dedicated thread on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Thank you both for your replies. Will be looking into a BoQ with a qs.
    Your getting your house roofed and all carpentry work inside done totally free of labour costs??? The bank will find that very hard to believe your lookin at off the top of my head 4 weeks labour for roof and a couple of weeks carpentry inside to basic finish. The roofer will need more than himself probably another roofer and labourer all giving their time for free???for 3-4 weeks?? and a carpenter to do all inside work 2-3 weeks also requiring some help... ALL FOR FREE???

jakko86 wrote: »
    Your getting your house roofed and all carpentry work inside done totally free of labour costs??? The bank will find that very hard to believe your lookin at off the top of my head 4 weeks labour for roof and a couple of weeks carpentry inside to basic finish. The roofer will need more than himself probably another roofer and labourer all giving their time for free???for 3-4 weeks?? and a carpenter to do all inside work 2-3 weeks also requiring some help... ALL FOR FREE???

I never said anything was for free.
    The oh's brother is doing his work for a tiny cost, as my oh will reciprocate when he is building.
    Relative of mine doing the roof, at a substantially lower labour cost than any other.

Just an update also, Mortgage has been approved, 100% of what we looked for.
    Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emercaughfield

The cost of house simply depends on the thing that what are the things which you want in your house..If you want a double story or a high range house then it will cost a lot..And for more discussion you can consult with a house broker.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The cost of house simply depends on the thing that what are the things which you want in your house..If you want a double story or a high range house then it will cost a lot..And for more discussion you can consult with a house broker.

By house broker do you mean auctioneer? In the context of this discussion that's mental talk

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

unfortunately thats not a very relative post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loublue

Hi, thinking of building a 1100sq foot house in the garden of an exisiting house. The house is in a mature housing estate and we really love the area. We just want a fairly basic 3 bed detached maybe atic conversion and modern extension if we could afford it. Any ideas of the cost per sq foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pitchmedia

Mod edit: All requests for prices for new house builds in 2012 may be posted here.

Hi there, not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes. We are looking at a site to buy at the mo and build a home. Just wondering if anyone would know what the average cost these days is for building a house. From start to finish? We were hoping to build around 2500 sq ft which I think converts to around 230sq mtrs??
    Just completed a large 4 bedroom bungalow 2400sq ft. Builder finish cost €45 per sq ft...and that was not the cheapest, but chose them as they had done previous work for the family. Work is scarce so be ready to play hardball with the builders..the house fully finished to build including kitchen / all furniture / painting and decor / Triple glazing / ofch with Stanley stove in living area to heat 10 rads COST €72 per sq FT. If you are prepared to do a bit of ground at the start you will save a hell of a lot of euros on services..ie architect and planning(don't get me wrong you will still need to pay plenty for this).....do sketch after sketch until you are happy with your floor plan layout..once you are happy with this, present it to your chosen architect ..this should reduce your bill a bit..the going rate for an Architect is €1 per square ft plus vat, but if you ha e the donkey work done and a decent sketch done haggle him down to 75cent per sq ft plus vat...I saved €400 doing this, and believe me all those €400's count when you are trying to finish your house as it paid for the painting of our new house..my biggest piece of advice to you is get a pre planning meeting with the co council planner for your area. This is a free consultation with the county council and BE SURE to do this when you are sketching your design or floor plans as your dream house may not be suitable (in the councils eyes!!) for the area in which you are hoping live in. Hi I also see you are planning to buy a site..We did the same and built on it..As I'm sure your aware you will not be able to purchase the without planning permission...so you will have to get permission from the owner to seek planning permission on their land and if you get planning you can then close the sale on the site/land....if you need any further info get back to me.....good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

Pitchmedia wrote: »
    Just completed a large 4 bedroom bungalow 2400sq ft. Builder finish cost €45 per sq ft...and that was not the cheapest, but chose them as they had done previous work for the family. Work is scarce so be ready to play hardball with the builders..the house fully finished to build including kitchen / all furniture / painting and decor / Triple glazing / ofch with Stanley stove in living area to heat 10 rads COST €72 per sq FT. If you are prepared to do a bit of ground at the start you will save a hell of a lot of euros on services..ie architect and planning(don't get me wrong you will still need to pay plenty for this).....do sketch after sketch until you are happy with your floor plan layout..once you are happy with this, present it to your chosen architect ..this should reduce your bill a bit..the going rate for an Architect is €1 per square ft plus vat, but if you ha e the donkey work done and a decent sketch done haggle him down to 75cent per sq ft plus vat...I saved €400 doing this, and believe me all those €400's count when you are trying to finish your house as it paid for the painting of our new house..my biggest piece of advice to you is get a pre planning meeting with the co council planner for your area. This is a free consultation with the county council and BE SURE to do this when you are sketching your design or floor plans as your dream house may not be suitable (in the councils eyes!!) for the area in which you are hoping live in. Hi I also see you are planning to buy a site..We did the same and built on it..As I'm sure your aware you will not be able to purchase the without planning permission...so you will have to get permission from the owner to seek planning permission on their land and if you get planning you can then close the sale on the site/land....if you need any further info get back to me.....good luck

Just wondering what part of the country are you in to get it for that price and can you pm me details of builder

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pitchmedia

HoofRocks wrote: »

Just wondering what part of the country are you in to get it for that price and can you pm me details of builder
    PM SENT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fiacsher

PM SENT
    Could you share that info with me, sounds to be excellent value.

PM SENT

About to go to tender for a 150 m2 extension/ rebuild, can you please pm me your builders details

Can you provide more detail and specification for the building? When was planning applied for and granted as this would determine the Building Regulations the dwelling would have to comply with? Excuse my scepticism but I dont think you would get much more than a 2400 sq ft shed for €45 a sq ft. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tombomb123

posting my costings online:

built house which is near completion,

house is 1.5 story, 3000 sq feet.

Concrete blocks sand and cement: 13,000
    stone for site and percolation 2,500
    Air tightness and radon barrier 4,500
    lime stone sills 1,500
    sills and lentils 1,000
    building supplier (roof and insulation and skim etc) 40,000
    engineer 5,000
    block layer 11,000
    digger hire 1,500
    labour for roofing and ground works and slabbing 20,000
    plumber(hear recovery plumbing and solar) 18,000
    windows and doors 10,000
    electrics 5,000
    fascia and soffit 2,500
    plastering 12,000
    esb connection 1,800
    bio cycle and raised bed 7,000
    architect 4,200
    county council 4,200
    percolation test and report 1,00
    water well 6,000

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

is concrete for foundations and floor included in "Concrete blocks sand and cement: 13,000"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 SBA

Are the Foundations, ground floor slab, First Floor slab, staircase, sanitary ware and Internal Joinery such as doors, skirtings, architrave etc. included in the above?

I'm assuming there is no allowance in the above for External paths and pavings, landscaping, and boundary and entrance Walls?

Also are the above prices VAT Inclusive?

ya concrete covers all foundations and finished floors...no first floof slab as went with timber joices and also putting in oak stairs which will cost around 5k..no internal joinery done yet but will cost another 5k..outside is landscaped and driveways done..no mortgage attained as building with savings but most still want vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Seems very reasonable given the house size!

The breakdown is a bit adhoc making comparisons difficult.

Whats the BER rating supposed to be?

ya sorry about that john_cappa but ask any questions and i will answer them for you...the BER rating will be A3 hopefully the engineer thinks..house is also insulated slabbed on inside of external walls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fullofhope

Could you pm me also thanks :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement