Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 elliebelle

PM also please if you wouldnt mind!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for those looking for PMs please note that that poster has only posted twice on boards.ie

they posted highly dubious figures, and did not respond when challenged upon them.

some of the advice they gave re the design is also highly questionable....

they havent posted here in 2 months so perhaps those requests for pms should be sent directly to the poster instead of requested here.

In my opinion the motives of such a post should be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hippy_hi

Hi, just wondering what the average pricings are for Co. Waterford for groundwork completion up to ground floor level. The size of the area is 1500 sq ft and the quote should encompass:
    Forming the entrance, stripping topsoil and deposit on site.
    Hardcore to driveway and hard standing area.
    Reduce levels and excavate foundations including setting out and deposit on site.
    lay reinforced concrete foundations
    Construct 3 courses of blockwork (675mm high) from foundations.
    Hardcore filling and blinding.
    100mm insulation to entire floor and 25mm to perimeter
    Radon barrier and pipework and sump
    150mm powerfloated concrete floor with A142 mesh reinforcement

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

Hi folks.
    Have planning permission put in to extend our sitting room (single story extension) and front door out 3 metres. I live in a 3 bed semi in south Dublin and the sitting room at the mo is 3x4 so after the extension is would be 6x4.
    There is easy access to the house so that would not be a problem.

I have the architects drawings for the extension so really I'm looking for the following.

All works carried out in conjunction with architects specification and building regulations.

The estimate should include initial dig out, stone base, steel installation, concrete, blockwork, base insulation, damp proof memebrane, finished floor, pipework for radiators and electrical services, cavity wall build, including external window/door, plaster finish internally & externally and roof lights, with roof completion, insulation and downlighters.

All rubble removed from site on completion.

Hope that's enough detail what I'm looking for.

Would anyone have a rough idea as to what type of money I'd be looking to get this done.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Recently completed one and a half story house of 240 m2 in the Midlands.
    Worked out at a final cost of €1,050 per m2.
    Basic build cost came in at around €650 per m2 and complies with the most recent Building Regs.

Good to know.
    Thanks.
    So I reckon I'm looking at 15k-20k.

Well at least I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EM CLARE

Pitchmedia wrote: »
    Just completed a large 4 bedroom bungalow 2400sq ft. Builder finish cost €45 per sq ft...and that was not the cheapest, but chose them as they had done previous work for the family. Work is scarce so be ready to play hardball with the builders..the house fully finished to build including kitchen / all furniture / painting and decor / Triple glazing / ofch with Stanley stove in living area to heat 10 rads COST €72 per sq FT. If you are prepared to do a bit of ground at the start you will save a hell of a lot of euros on services..ie architect and planning(don't get me wrong you will still need to pay plenty for this).....do sketch after sketch until you are happy with your floor plan layout..once you are happy with this, present it to your chosen architect ..this should reduce your bill a bit..the going rate for an Architect is €1 per square ft plus vat, but if you ha e the donkey work done and a decent sketch done haggle him down to 75cent per sq ft plus vat...I saved €400 doing this, and believe me all those €400's count when you are trying to finish your house as it paid for the painting of our new house..my biggest piece of advice to you is get a pre planning meeting with the co council planner for your area. This is a free consultation with the county council and BE SURE to do this when you are sketching your design or floor plans as your dream house may not be suitable (in the councils eyes!!) for the area in which you are hoping live in. Hi I also see you are planning to buy a site..We did the same and built on it..As I'm sure your aware you will not be able to purchase the without planning permission...so you will have to get permission from the owner to seek planning permission on their land and if you get planning you can then close the sale on the site/land....if you need any further info get back to me.....good luck

Hi, by any chance do you have any contact details for the builder. We have just received our planning for 2500 sq ft. story and half house and we are looking for price quotes. We haven't a clue how much we would need to go on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'm astounded by this price of 45€ p sqft. I think such prices are misleading the general public of what is achieveable ! IMO and from experence prospective new builders should budget a minimum of 100 if not 130€ per msq to complete a house to 2011 regs

BryanF wrote: »
    I'm astounded by this price of 45€ p sqft. I think such prices are misleading the general public of what is achieveable ! IMO and from experence prospective new builders should budget a minimum of 100 if not 130€ per msq to complete a house to 2011 regs

€130 per sq/ft would have equated to a build cost of over €300K for my house.
    None of the quotes we received were anywhere near this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EM CLARE

The lowest quote we have received so far is €69 and that is getting quotes from 4 builders. The price of €130 is unreal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So you came in just over 1000€ per msq fare play, its along way from 45€ sqft ! From what I see as misleading the average joe, wouldn't you say?

Em clare, best of luck on your build , come back and tell us what it actually cost 'to complete' ( finish/ furnish/ relax without looking at work that needs doing) and what the difference was from your lowest builder quote.

BryanF wrote: »
    So you came in just over 1000€ per msq fare play, its along way from 45€ sqft ! From what I see as misleading the average joe, wouldn't you say?

It's probably less misleading than €130 per ft. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

It's probably less misleading than €130 per ft. though.

I would disagree with you there . Based on experience €130/sq.foot would be the average cost of a finished house of good standard and building regs compliant but not over the top in specification.

archtech wrote: »
    I would disagree with you there . Based on experience €130/sq.foot would be the average cost of a finished house of good standard and building regs compliant but not over the top in specification.

Discussion is about builders finish though, as that was what the €45 per sqft figure related to.
    It sounds very cheap, but is a lot closer to the prices I was quoted than €130 per sqft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niamhcw

Just wondering would it be 45 euro per sq ft (or whatever) for a two storey or is there a different rate for each storey or is this an aveage for a two storey?

I am trying to get an approximate figure on the price per square foot for a self build in county carlow for a two storey house that has a 650 sq ft footprint. It is to be a basic rectangular building finished to second fixing level. All services are on site. Could any one give me a ball point figure??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

niamhcw wrote: »
    Just wondering would it be 45 euro per sq ft (or whatever) for a two storey or is there a different rate for each storey or is this an aveage for a two storey?

I am trying to get an approximate figure on the price per square foot for a self build in county carlow for a two storey house that has a 650 sq ft footprint. It is to be a basic rectangular building finished to second fixing level. All services are on site. Could any one give me a ball point figure??

As an approximate budget price allow yourself €130/sq.foot. A qs could prepared as cost plan for you based on your drawings which would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niamhcw

archtech- that seems very high and if that's the case then construction is not an option. It's hard to believe that by going with direct labour it would work out at E135/sq ft for such a simple build.
    I didn't mention we just want the ground floor finished to second fixing with the first floor left untouched. As we will finish it at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

archtech- that seems very high and if that's the case then construction is not an option. It's hard to believe that by going with direct labour it would work out at E135/sq ft for such a simple build.
    I didn't mention we just want the ground floor finished to second fixing with the first floor left untouched. As we will finish it at a later date.

If your decision not to construct your property is based on a discussion on boards.ie you have a major issue before you even start. a decision as to proceed or not with a six figure commitment should be based on factual costings based on your specific design and specification and not generalizations and pub chat pricing.

I have to say that all these discussions on cost per ft2 are completely nuts and in NO WAY mirror reality.

Cost per ft originated in a time when builders used to price all projects per ft2 as thats how it was done. generally builders had no idea what a job actually costed, they had no costing system in their business and simply ran their business from a bank account that generally always had money in it. when the jobs dried up generally so did the business. In latter years builders got more professional with more builders having had greater education and professionalism so measurements and elemental costings were carried out based on specifications and drawings. As there is no link between the average cost per ft2 and the cost of a particular build, it is a somewhat naive way of pricing anything.

when people ask me how much does it cost to build, I always answer how much is a television? or how much is a car? or simply how much do you want to spend?. the answer lies in the specification, size, software, design, make, brand, model etc etc. the average cost of a car might be €20,000 but that doesn't mean you will budget or buy a car for €20,000 so why would house building be any different. It is a crazy system we all exist in when a decision on a generally six figure outlay is made based on an indicative cost per ft2 irrespective of specification, location, site makeup, site slope, engineering, services, finishes etc etc etc

All banks nowadays require a cost plan for finance. a cost plan is a simple quick and relatively cheap way to get a true cost of your specific project. It involves discussion on specification and selection of parameters for your build. It gets the client thinking about the project, the scale, the constraints and puts perspective on the process. It costs anywhere from €300-500 or less as you shop around but is a vital and accurate tool on which to base a decision. I have completed 8 cost plans in the last six months for projects that never went any further than the cost plan due to the clients unrealistic ideas on costings. Its hard to argue with the costs when they are detailed line by line. I have had clients say I was off the wall with the bottom line figure and then when they have gone through it have come to the realization of what is involved. most people even those in the trade will forget items when discussing costs and it is only when they are listed down that reality bites.

Cost per ft2 is the result of the calculation of the total bottom line cost divided by the total size of the property. It is nothing more and nothing less and it should certainly not be the calculation that decides the result of the project.

I dont know if this is ok and if not mods please delete with my apologies but here is a link to a sample cost plan to give people an idea of what they should be getting in terms of real information on which to base a decision. Any Qs practice should be in a position to supply a similar type template. I have watered this down as a sample and it includes lump sum figures against alot of items where generally there would be actual costings. The cost plan is a sample and does not reflect costs for a true project and it does not include accurate costs for works described.

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kkelliher wrote: »
    I dont know if this is ok and if not mods please delete with my apologies <SNIP>
    No, it's not okay and posting that link with a preempted apology doesn't cut it with me.

muffler wrote: »
    No, it's not okay and posting that link with a preempted apology doesn't cut it with me.

No offence intended point noted

kkelliher wrote: »
    No offence intended point noted
    I can understand why you wanted to post that in order to back up your points in the post but there was far too much "self promotional material" in the link.

If anyone is still interested in seeing the sample cost plan they can PM you.

Just a general comment in relation to the above. If anyone is ever in any doubt as to what is and what's not allowed then just PM any of the forum mods in advance and we will be happy to clarify. Thanks.

The €130 per sq/ft figure that he continually mentions doesn't bear any relationship to reality for most people who have build in the last year or so as you'll see form reading the thread.
    I'd take it with a rather large pinch of salt.
    Your best bet it to get actual quotes rather than rely on what some posters are pushing.

The €130 per sq/ft figure that he continually mentions doesn't bear any relationship to reality for most people who have build in the last year.

To be fair this is fairly vague and has no real basis for discussion. No two properties bear a relationship to each other. The poster is also talking about finished price and on average he is not going to be far off the mark. Generally people on here do not detail the full extent of inclusions in their costs and therefore they can be easily misrepresented.

I agree that actual costs based on proces is the only way to go but include for everything on your drawings and spec

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carrotdonut

I spent a lot of time on here seeing people quoting very low amounts per sq/ft and just a bit of advice don't pay much heed to it. Currently building turn key finish and all in coming in at around €130 per sq/ft which includes CC of €15k, Architect, Solicitor, Valuation and numerous other fees. Windows 3G with bi-fold doors, solar panels, drive way, no landscaping. Have no tradesmen in family so turn key solution vital and very happpy with building company etc and know that all being built to regulations.

I spent a lot of time on here seeing people quoting very low amounts per sq/ft and just a bit of advice don't pay much heed to it. Currently building turn key finish and all in coming in at around €130 per sq/ft which includes CC of €15k, Architect, Solicitor, Valuation and numerous other fees. Windows 3G with bi-fold doors, solar panels, drive way, no landscaping. Have no tradesmen in family so turn key solution vital and very happpy with building company etc and know that all being built to regulations.

Great to see some honest factual posting

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

2700ft2, two storey with staircase to second floor. Re-con Granite heads, cills. White oak doors,stairs. Standard sewage system, concrete first floors, mhrv, solar panels, oil boiler zoned heating, garage(700ft2), Spanish slates, smooth plaster finish. Insulation is 110mm pumped bead for cavity and 37.5mm k18 dry lining board on external walls. Got quote from builder for this.. €91/ft2.. In co.louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Paudi04 wrote: »
    .... Insulation is 110mm pumped bead for cavity and 37.5mm k18 dry lining board on external walls. ...

Why !!!! - read the posts on this forum about splitting your insulation like this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement