Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Paudi04 wrote: »
    2700ft2, two storey with staircase to second floor. Re-con Granite heads, cills. White oak doors,stairs. Standard sewage system, concrete first floors, mhrv, solar panels, oil boiler zoned heating, garage(700ft2), Spanish slates, smooth plaster finish. Insulation is 110mm pumped bead for cavity and 37.5mm k18 dry lining board on external walls. Got quote from builder for this.. €91/ft2.. In co.louth.

You need to list whats not included ie are the following:

Kitchen/Utility
    Built in wardrobes
    Floor Finishes
    Wall Decorations
    External Windows and Doors
    Footpaths
    Driveways
    Boundaries inclduign entrance gates etc
    Landscaping
    Light fittings
    etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

kkelliher wrote: »
    You need to list whats not included ie are the following:

Kitchen/Utility
    Built in wardrobes
    Floor Finishes
    Wall Decorations
    External Windows and Doors
    Footpaths
    Driveways
    Boundaries inclduign entrance gates etc
    Landscaping
    Light fittings
    etc etc

Kitchen/utility (16000 inc appliances), gates not included. We supply floor finishes, bathroom and builder will fit. Footpaths, gravel driveway, all windows and doors, light fittings and landscaping (garden levelled and grass sown) included. Gonna do all interior decorating myself in time. Hopefully start 3weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Two storey 213m2 in Northwest nearing completion,
    Block construction, 150mm cavity, external nap plaster render
    100mm board insulation & 50mm pumped,
    100mm board underfloor,
    300mm in attic over 60mm ceiling board,
    UFH throughout,
    MHRV,
    Wood burning non-boiler stove & Multi fuel boiler stove (each with external air supply, and having it's own block chimney)
    Condensing oil boiler
    Ducting & pipework to garage for possible future wood log gasification boiler
    (overkill on the heat sources perhaps?)
    Solar 6m2 evacuated tubes, due South orientation on 35 degree sloping roof.
    500lt accumulator tank
    Triple glazed PVC
    Natural slate roof, roof profile straight A, so trusses up in 1 day, no hips or dormers.
    25m2 garage
    4 bed, 1 main bath & 2 ensuite with showers
    All floor finishes, all groundworks, treatment
    Bespoke staircase
    All carpentry & electrical to final fix.
    Provisional BER is A3, airtightness prior to plastering of internal walls was 5.6m3/hr@50 Pa (is this unit correct?)
    Construction to an insulated sealed structure was just under €80k
    Construction to turn key finish coming in at €284k,
    €284k/213m2= €1,333/m2, (to include the 25m2 of the garage gives €284k/238m2 = €1,193/m2 but then that's just cooking the books a little)
    No tradesmen in family or construction equipment, architects fees, Co.council fees, ESB etc. additional, contingency of 10% provided for, all out to single contractor and being overlooked by architect who was retained for the build, very happy with services provided by all.
    If I've left anything out let me know, we were in the very fortunate position of having not bought during the previous years of madness to have savings (would have been used as a deposit for a house if things hadn't collapsed so spectacularly) which have now (hopefully) been put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Hello all

We're looking at buying a site just outside Galway City, near Oranmore. How much approx would it be to construct a 2700sq/ft dormer? We're looking at a moderate spec finish, e.g. PVC windows, regular skirting & doors, lino in kitchen, not an expensive kitchen. possibly leaving some of the house to finish at a later date, gravel driveway. any ideas of a ballpark? We think the location of the site is perfect, but are hearing rumours that it's very expensive to build at the moment compared to buy

Carol25 wrote: »
    Hello all

We're looking at buying a site just outside Galway City, near Oranmore. How much approx would it be to construct a 2700sq/ft dormer? We're looking at a moderate spec finish, e.g. PVC windows, regular skirting & doors, lino in kitchen, not an expensive kitchen. possibly leaving some of the house to finish at a later date, gravel driveway. any ideas of a ballpark? We think the location of the site is perfect, but are hearing rumours that it's very expensive to build at the moment compared to buy

I would think it is cheaper to buy in most cases but it may not match what you want. You also have to account for the fact that a new build will be cheaper in the long run as it should be more efficient than anything for sale.

In terms of build cost it really ia how long is a piece of string as there are so many variables but i would budget €100/ft2 as a guide. You can go from there. A finished product including a decent spec all finished (and paid legit ie no cash) would be around €120/ft2 but it all comes down to deaign, site, spec and finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Long time reader during our build, decided to bite to bullet and share my costings!!

2500 sq ft 2 storey house and garage. Site already owned.

Fixed Price Contract: €190,000.
    Includes as extra to standard spec:
    - Concrete Slabs between ground floor & first floor.
    - 32 windows UPVC (8 sliding Sash to front, 1 extra large window to front of house, 1 picture window, the remaining standard).
    - Double doors to front of house, back door (ultra tech by m joinery bit more expensive than standard PVC) & Sun room.
    - Raft Foundation!!! (found out when they dug our base, bad surprise)
    - Garage (lofted with roller door).
    - Limestone to front porch.
    - Attic floored & staira.

Total Cost of build €245,000.

County Council fee - €8000
    Legal Fees - €1600 (incl signing over site)
    Engineer Fees for plans, planning, creating builders plans & stages, county council fees and percolation test - €3000
    ESB connection - €1800
    Kitchen & Utility - €13,000 (incl granite worktops)
    White Goods - €3000
    Tiles & tiler - €4500
    Laminate floor & Carpet - €3500
    Spray Painting - €1000
    Extra for bathrooms suites - €2000
    Extra for Oak internal doors - €1200
    Extra for adding 3 velux windows - €1300
    Fireplace - €800
    Stove & Flu - €1500
    Water softener & pressure pump - €1000
    Post & railing - €2300

Extras - furniture, blinds and forgotten things €5500. (think we will be begging, borrowing or stealing or furniture for a while until the piggy bank fills up again! ;))

Phew, think thats everything. We are at plastering stage, 2nd fix electrics, plumbing & carpentry starting in next few weeks. Started in June 2012, hoping to be settled in there by April 2013.

Hope this helps someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Scooby85

Dormer house 3057sq/ft 5bed,3 Walk in wardrobes, 4ensuite, kitchen/living, utility, utility toilet,larder room, vaulted sunroom,office,main bathroom,80sq/m garage
    Strip foundation
    Insulated Hollow core
    Cut roof 6 valleys
    6 velux
    7500 natural slates
    5 gables
    Nap finish
    80sq/m sandstone
    Yellow granite lentils/cills
    Upvc triple glazed
    100mm floor insulation
    110mm pumped cavity
    62mm thermal board on external walls
    50mm board under hollowcore
    150mm spray foam wall plate to ridge
    62mm board on rafters
    Air tightness
    Beam hrv
    Beam Hoover
    Condensing boiler
    Multifuel stove (boiler) external air
    Radiators 3zones
    Pressurised domestic water
    Solar
    Oak painted/walnut kitchen
    Porcelain tiles kitchen/utility/half hall
    Semi solid Smoked oak living/sun/hall/landing
    Laminate/carpet bedrooms
    Walnut doors (24)
    Painted skirting/ ark
    Walnut/painted stairs glass on landing
    Ensuites/ main toilet tiled floor to ceiling
    All ground work sewer/paths/kerbs gravel drive
    Started 10months ago should be in by middle of march
    I'm a self employed chippy and all my mates are in different trades.i've taken a year off work to build it and will be in it for 242k.My engineer reckons I've saved about 80k doing it myself as I've got an A2 rating and a fairly high spec. I've worked it out at about €79sq/ft. €100-€110sq/ft with finishes and insulation would probably be a realistic price. Whatever price you think it will cost to build it allow another 10k for hidden costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roxy10

Hi Sorry I know you have not been posting on this thread for a while but I am wondering could you pm me with the details of the builder and your area aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Scooby85 wrote: »
    I'm a self employed chippy and all my mates are in different trades.i've taken a year off work to build it and will be in it for 242k.My engineer reckons I've saved about 80k doing it myself as I've got an A2 rating and a fairly high spec. I've worked it out at about €79sq/ft. €100-€110sq/ft with finishes and insulation would probably be a realistic price. Whatever price you think it will cost to build it allow another 10k for hidden costs.

Add at least 10-15% to that for complying with the new 2011 Part L regulations. difficult to compare self building tradesman cost against a regular punter would pay. Well worth while getting a €500 cost plan done at the same time as your Architect's sketch design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roxy10

Pitchmedia wrote: »
    Just completed a large 4 bedroom bungalow 2400sq ft. Builder finish cost €45 per sq ft...and that was not the cheapest, but chose them as they had done previous work for the family. Work is scarce so be ready to play hardball with the builders..the house fully finished to build including kitchen / all furniture / painting and decor / Triple glazing / ofch with Stanley stove in living area to heat 10 rads COST €72 per sq FT. If you are prepared to do a bit of ground at the start you will save a hell of a lot of euros on services..ie architect and planning(don't get me wrong you will still need to pay plenty for this).....do sketch after sketch until you are happy with your floor plan layout..once you are happy with this, present it to your chosen architect ..this should reduce your bill a bit..the going rate for an Architect is €1 per square ft plus vat, but if you ha e the donkey work done and a decent sketch done haggle him down to 75cent per sq ft plus vat...I saved €400 doing this, and believe me all those €400's count when you are trying to finish your house as it paid for the painting of our new house..my biggest piece of advice to you is get a pre planning meeting with the co council planner for your area. This is a free consultation with the county council and BE SURE to do this when you are sketching your design or floor plans as your dream house may not be suitable (in the councils eyes!!) for the area in which you are hoping live in. Hi I also see you are planning to buy a site..We did the same and built on it..As I'm sure your aware you will not be able to purchase the without planning permission...so you will have to get permission from the owner to seek planning permission on their land and if you get planning you can then close the sale on the site/land....if you need any further info get back to me.....good luck

Thanks Hexosan sorry new to this this is the one I am looking for more detail on this if possible if pitchmedia could pm please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Roxy10 wrote: »
    Thanks Hexosan sorry new to this this is the one I am looking for more detail on this if possible if pitchmedia could pm please
    Why cant you send a PM yourself to Pitchmedia? How is he/she supposed to know that you want a PM from them?

If you have read the thread then I take it that you seen this post by one of my co-mods?

Anyhow to save you a bit of bother Pitchmedia has not been logged in since 8/10/2012 and has refused to answer questions on some dubious prices he/she posted so it would be a waste of time contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

I am reading these posts on building costs etc and there is real value out there at the moment. I am a building contractor and can honestly say that it is possibly the best time to build at the moment as costs are competitive. Plus the downturn has separated the professionals from the cowboys as most cowboys are gone to the wall or abroad. When pricing houses from builders please compare like for like as I was beaten on a quote recently by €8900 on a job costing €78200 but when I sat down with the client it turned out that he had omitted several items which would have all been added on after as extras. <SNIP>

Mod note: Careful now!

When pricing houses from builders please compare like for like as I was beaten on a quote recently by €8900 on a job costing €78200 but when I sat down with the client it turned out that he had omitted several items which would have all been added on after as extras. <SNIP>

Given the way most people including architects send out tender packs there is generally no way they can compare prices. Sending out drawings and a specification and requesting element headings prices in a form of tender (or worse still simply allowing buildings to revert in any format they choose) unfortunately does not give you adequant information to compare prices.

You can only compare prices with an adequate detailed schedule or bill of quantities. Any other way is in the lap of the gods. I know some architects who have stated that they dont really care as if the tender is accepted on a fixed price lump sum basis (blue form RIAI contract), the onus is on the Contractor to have included for eveything.

Say that to a client who's builder has gone bust as he missed items in his price and cant finish the project and see what response you might get?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

totally agree the €800 I spent on a QS was very well spent - it made comparing easy and when the contractor raised a variation it was easy to see why

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fclauson wrote: »
    totally agree the €800 I spent on a QS was very well spent - it made comparing easy and when the contractor raised a variation it was easy to see why
    As an arch tech I suggest a Qs service to all my clients - by the time your out of the ground the Qs fee will have paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanie13

anyone know about timber framed houses? want to erect a simple dormer 3 bed and looking for average price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joeirish

Thanks for all the posts so far which are helping us decide on our proposed new build costs. Does anybody have any figures for the various taxes and other charges that we should expect to have to pay also. i'm thinking stamp duty, council charges, ESB, any engineer fees etc. We are planning to build in Clare. Budget (hopefully) around €170k (and we can do a lot of the finishing ourselves). House size (in case it is relevant to charges) max 150 sq m. Electricity passes by the boundary with poles just outside. Will have our own well and wastewater treatment system so no connections to any council provided services. Any other information needed to work out these extra costs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 musclesmcginty

Is there any rough guide price (€/square foot) for building space in a new build which will only be completed to basic standard (external walls, insulation, first fix, internal walls, roof)?

I've my dream house design complete but don't need (or have the money to complete) 100% of the rooms yet. Its a 1.5 storey 3000 square foot house. The plan is to finish 2000 square feet on the ground floor and leave the upstairs for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Is there any rough guide price (€/square foot) for building space in a new build which will only be completed to basic standard (external walls, insulation, first fix, internal walls, roof)?

€1200/M2
    I've my dream house design complete but don't need (or have the money to complete) 100% of the rooms yet. Its a 1.5 storey 3000 square foot house. The plan is to finish 2000 square feet on the ground floor and leave the upstairs for a few years.

€2000/M2 finished.

Cliche advice (but true all the same) follows
    1. don't let your dream become your nightmare
    2. will you own the house or will it own you
    3. are you designing your house at all i.e. is it house you need or is it your vanity project

50m2 per person should be plenty. 40m2 even.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Brave Harvey

50m2 per person should be plenty. 40m2 even.

Yeah and i think passive house recommends 35m2 per person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

Hopefully this isn't a 'how long is a piece of string' question as there is fairly detailed spec attached, but how much do you think this would cost to build? Looking to build something similar in an ideal world but at very very early stages of the process.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/killeen-castle-gate-lodge-dunsany-meath/2411780

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hopefully this isn't a 'how long is a piece of string' question as there is fairly detailed spec attached, but how much do you think this would cost to build?

Around E 380,000 finished.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Around E 380,000 finished.

excellent, thanks for the reply. If it was you building it for yourself with a budget of say 300, what areas of the spec would be the first ones you'd look at for cutting costs? The stone finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

before you start to build - get a QS to price the whole build - they can then give you options

fclauson wrote: »
    before you start to build - get a QS to price the whole build - they can then give you options

oh of course, absolutely. Would get that done before even submitting planning permission for anything or even starting the process officially. What I'm asking for is more generic advice/comments - is it unrealistic to plan on building something of this layout and general appearance for 300? Is the house in the link an example of Celtic Tiger style lavish unnecessary excess in many areas of the spec, or is it already done as efficiently as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Is the house in the link an example of Celtic Tiger style lavish unnecessary excess in many areas of the spec, or is it already done as efficiently as possible?

Off topic but my 2 cents are to find the middle ground between what you want and what you need, (now and as far into the future as you can imagine) and you should be happy, with your bank balance and quality of life in your new house.
    I would have liked to have a fully equipped home theatre with raked seating, a dedicated music room, walk in shower rooms, whirlpool baths, sauna, you get my drift, but we went with a large open plan living area, and modest bedrooms to a (provisional) A3 BER, in our house 6 weeks now and lovin' it.

Get good proven professional(s) on the job and agree a price for what it is you want them to do.
    This next bit might be hard but trust them to do what they have trained for and earn their living from, a few times we questioned our architect on paper plans, asked him to change them then stepped it out in private and realised he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

I see a lot of cost estimates - in the region of 130 - 150 euro p/sqft - for a modest extension - would these rates incl vat ?

descol wrote: »
    I see a lot of cost estimates - in the region of 130 - 150 euro p/sqft - for a modest extension - would these rates incl vat ?

if quoted by a builder then generally no, but you will find that a lot of posts on forums like this are from private individuals on one off builds and cash payments will form part of their overall cost. Most private individuals will quote including vat (ie the actual cost to them) whereas a builder will quote excl VAT. This is one of the reasons why you will see variance in quotes on sites like this as it is not clear what people are including

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MMC 23

A QS should be involved as early as possible the process. It could save the architect and the client a lot of time and money if something is designed and detailed that is out of budget. Have a budget estimate done at sketch design stage.
    Waiting until detailed design is finished is a lost oppotunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MMC 23

Beanie13 wrote: »
    anyone know about timber framed houses? want to erect a simple dormer 3 bed and looking for average price.....

A timber frame house will cost a lot more than masonry. Have the various options costed first, then decide.
    A kit timber frame quote will give you the internal skin of external walls, internal partitions, upper floors and roof structure. They are always more expensive than all on site built. Even on site built timber frame is more expensive than masonry.

Embodied carbon will be a lot less though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement