Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

MMC 23 wrote: »
    A timber frame house will cost a lot more than masonry. Have the various options costed first, then decide.
    A kit timber frame quote will give you the internal skin of external walls, internal partitions, upper floors and roof structure. They are always more expensive than all on site built. Even on site built timber frame is more expensive than masonry.

Embodied carbon will be a lot less though.

Are you sure about this because if i remember correctly, my cousin was pricing a bungalow and a timber frame was coming in cheaper. This was pricing the timber frame against the block built inner skin. The timber frame was supply only and him and his mates where going to errect it in half a day for a days wage cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

yoloc wrote: »
    ... errect it in half a day for a days wage cash.

I see two things wrong with this - one of which is thinking it will take just half a day to erect

Are you sure we did this right Upside-downhouseTrassenheide3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MMC 23

yoloc wrote: »
    Are you sure about this because if i remember correctly, my cousin was pricing a bungalow and a timber frame was coming in cheaper. This was pricing the timber frame against the block built inner skin. The timber frame was supply only and him and his mates where going to errect it in half a day for a days wage cash.

I'm sure. I'm a chartered quantity surveyor and I've done at least a dozen comparisons in the last 1.5 years. They all say the same thing.
    Another thing, a timber frame building cannot be erected properly in less than 2 weeks, with an experienced crew and a crane.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

I'm sure. I'm a chartered quantity surveyor and I've done at least a dozen comparisons in the last 1.5 years. They all say the same thing.
    Another thing, a timber frame building cannot be erected properly in less than 2 weeks, with an experienced crew and a crane.

Is it not 1 day for timber frame, 1 day for truss, few days for felt/battens/tiles. I seen a dormer bungalow get erected and this is how i seen it go up. What i seen was a lorry full of sections of timber frame, lifted of the lorry with a crane, the timber frame was lifted by hand and erected in a full day. I cant see why youd say 2 weeks. Ive seen block houses get built in 2 weeks and timber frame is suppose to be quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 35 popsynesbitt

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate on getting started on a new build on my own site. How much roughly would one be talking to get block work, plastering, roof, windows and doors and 1st fixing on a 2300 square foot two storey house (basic rectangular shape with nothing fancy in the line of roofing). Also looking at stone cladding all over to finish possibly.
    By the way I understand we are talking ball park, but I'd be interested in hearing ball park figures from those in the know.
    (I AM NOT HOWEVER INTERESTED IN BEING TOLD THIS IS A STUPID POST AND I NEED MORE SPEC, I APPRECIATE IM BEING VAGUE!!!!) But anyone who might have an idea let me know!

Cheers guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 popsynesbitt

Something along these lines guys

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

popsynesbitt, I have had to delete 4 duplicate posts of yours. I realise the site may be playing up a little but please have a little patience.

I have also deleted a link to a business website. Do not post those links here...read the forum charter.

You may post a screen grab of a design if you wish.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate on getting started on a new build on my own site. How much roughly would one be talking to get block work, plastering, roof, windows and doors and 1st fixing on a 2300 square foot two storey house (basic rectangular shape with nothing fancy in the line of roofing). Also looking at stone cladding all over to finish possibly.
    By the way I understand we are talking ball park, but I'd be interested in hearing ball park figures from those in the know.
    (I AM NOT HOWEVER INTERESTED IN BEING TOLD THIS IS A STUPID POST AND I NEED MORE SPEC, I APPRECIATE IM BEING VAGUE!!!!) But anyone who might have an idea let me know!

Cheers guys!!

I am not going to call you stupid BUT

Let's start with how much digging out is required
    How soft is the ground
    How much foundation will you need
    Then
    What underfloor insulation are you going for raft with integrated insulation or strip with the relevant insulation
    Then the walls what surface area
    What windows
    What sills
    Then stone cladding - what type surface area etc
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc
    So the answer is 80 ( but I would not want to live in it )
    To 180 ( wish I could have afforded that)

Go back to basics - work with an architect and QS and the allow 10% for overruns (as there will be things none of you knew about at the start)

Hi,

Cheers guys!!

Hi,

As a rough guide without any real information whatsoever, the average house finished without any site complications is in the region of €100/ft2 to a builders finish without kitchen.
    The stone cladding would cost €20-30k extra.
    There are of course so many variables that can effect this cost, so please do not use this as a basis for your calculations. A house can vary from €70/ft2 to €300/ft2 depending on site conditions, size, shape, access, glazing, levels of finishes and fittings and your preferred energy rating, mechanical and electrical plant installation.
    You will save yourself an awful lot of money and time by engaging an architect and a QS at the earliest possible juncture to provide real detail and cost information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I've an idea with room layouts and dimensions of what type of house I would like to build. Before I apply for planning permission I would like to get approx cost of the build.

Does a QS need in depth or basic drawings to do a bill of quantities? How much would these drawings cost, and how much does it cost to get a BOQ done by a QS?

• Advertisement

tonic wine wrote: »
    I've an idea with room layouts and dimensions of what type of house I would like to build. Before I apply for planning permission I would like to get approx cost of the build.

Does a QS need in depth or basic drawings to do a bill of quantities? How much would these drawings cost, and how much does it cost to get a BOQ done by a QS?

Hi,
    First off, I would advise you to get an architect involved. Self designed houses, or houses designs taken from a book are generally not fit for purpose and they may end up costing you a lot of money longer term.
    An architect should find out how you and your family live and will design a house to suit your life at its current stage while making provision for future changes.
    A QS can operate off of basic planning drawings. The spec will be dictated by the client.
    This is a cost effective way to develop a design as cost plan budgets are easier to adjust than drawings.
    When a desired specification and budget is arrived at, it can then be put onto drawings by your architect, this saves a lot of time and prevents abortive design.
    The QS fee can vary considerably depending on the level of service required.
    I've found that the quality of a QS service can vary substantially also. It can be difficult to judge at the outset who can deliver value for money for you.
    Some QS' can actually cost a client money by sticking too rigidly to processes and procedures.

Bear in mind also that when choosing an architect, ensure that he or she is RIAI accredited. There are major changes coming in building control next year that may mean that you could be paying twice for the same service if you don't engage a chartered architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

A qS could work up a budget based on a meeting with you to get an understanding of your ideas and a general basic layout. The budget will be as accurate as the information given to the QS so the more detailed the drawings the more detailed the budget. A BOQ is a waste of money if not produced on a definitive design as otherwise as things are designed through the process the BOQ may become redundant. It would be possible to simply get a cost plan (more simple document) done at an early stage to put a budget on each element and that way you have an idea of what the likely cost is. This can then be given to an architect/designer as a parameter to work in.

Hi,
    The QS fee can vary considerably depending on the level of service required.
    I've found that the quality of a QS service can vary substantially also. It can be difficult to judge at the outset who can deliver value for money for you.
    Some QS' can actually cost a client money by sticking too rigidly to processes and procedures.

This applies to every professional not just the Quantity Surveyor. I have seen many architects cost their clients substantial amounts of money due to lack of understanding of cost, I have seen engineers cost their clients money by simply inadequate design. Every professional service needs to be researched in order to confirm the service offered and price quoted is suitable to the clients needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Have a BER assessor test the concept now for compliance with Part L and from that develop a preliminary specification for walls/windows/floors/roofs/heating system/ventilation / air tightness/ renewables. A good QS can do a q+A session with you on finishes and fittings and extent of site-works and arrive then at a realistic budget.

THEN you can properly brief an architect and agree a design and prepare planning permission documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Woodlandkids

Anyone got costing per sq ft to builders finish for Maynooth area.....thinking of 2750 size, have site.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Have you tried a search on this site where that question has been asked and answered about 100 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Recently completed to finished floor level.

Foot print size is is circa 1300 sq feet

Cost as follows

Groundworks labour 4500
    Plumbing Labou5- 400
    Block layer labour 1000
    Engineer 400

Materials for foundations (steel, radon, etc): 1070
    Plumbing material: 540
    Concrete, blocks, sand: 3100
    Concrete for finish floor: 1350
    Insulation 1900
    Other costs: 1000 (wall ties, cement, plas, steel support for corner window, heavy duty hyro piping etc).
    Stone: 1500*
    Total 16760

I have yet to be invoiced for stone delivered (805 and 3down) that was used for the drive way in, around the house, fill inside etc but I am estimating that at roughly 1500 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

893bet wrote: »
    Recently completed to finished floor level.

Foot print size is is circa 1300 sq feet

Cost as follows

Groundworks labour 4500
    Plumbing Labou5- 400
    Block layer labour 1000
    Engineer 400

Materials for foundations (steel, radon, etc): 1070
    Plumbing material: 540
    Concrete, blocks, sand: 3100
    Concrete for finish floor: 1350
    Insulation 1900
    Other costs: 1000 (wall ties, cement, plas, steel support for corner window, heavy duty hyro piping etc).
    Stone: 1500*
    Total 16760

I have yet to be invoiced for stone delivered (805 and 3down) that was used for the drive way in, around the house, fill inside etc but I am estimating that at roughly 1500 extra

what is your overall square footage and what is your overall expected cost of build at final fix stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

How much does mvhr usually cost ? Ballpark

4K to 7K

• Advertisement

June Bird wrote: »
    what is your overall square footage and what is your overall expected cost of build at final fix stage!

Circa 2000 sq ft.

Have budgeted 125K to get to builders finish. 30K to finish (Flooring, kitchen, fitted units appliances, curtains etc.). 10 K for fees etc for council, esb.

This is purely based on my own estimates regarding what i "think" it will cost based from trawling forums etc. Will prob cost way more ;(

Have gotten a few prices back from block layers. All very similar and very competitive. Its is around 6500 blocks i think

Price 1 5200 ex Vat
    Price 2 5300 Ex Vat
    Price 3 6200 Including VAT

Is the VAT rate 13.5 on labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Circa 2000 sq ft.

Have budgeted 125K to get to builders finish. 30K to finish (Flooring, kitchen, fitted units appliances, curtains etc.). 10 K for fees etc for council, esb.

This is purely based on my own estimates regarding what i "think" it will cost based from trawling forums etc. Will prob cost way more ;(
    €57 per Sq ft ex vat is gonna leave you with a very basic spec. I doubt very much you'll be achieving full compliance with Part L with sort of budget. A half decent basic spec will cost approx €75 /Sq for builders finish to a simple design.

kieran. wrote: »
    €57 per Sq ft ex vat is gonna leave you with a very basic spec. I doubt very much you'll be achieving full compliance with Part L with sort of budget. A half decent basic spec will cost approx €75 /Sq for builders finish to a simple design.

You may well be right. Most people on here think so. That said the odd person is achieving low lost reasonable spec builds so will see. I guess it will cost what it costs in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Woodlandkids

893 what part of the country are you ...

Munster.

You may well be right. Most people on here think so. That said the odd person is achieving low lost reasonable spec builds so will see. I guess it will cost what it costs in the end.

It may cost what it costs but that does not confirm the specification and compliance with building regulations on every item. It is also noted that in the main where people are stating values below €70 sq ft there is a substantial element of free labour being utilised within the costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

kkelliher wrote: »
    It may cost what it costs but that does not confirm the specification and compliance with building regulations on every item. It is also noted that in the main where people are stating values below €70 sq ft there is a substantial element of free labour being utilised within the costing.

Not necessarily free labour it's just that in rural areas there are more tradesmen willing to do the rate per sq ft cheaper because it can be done and they can still make their profit...

i got a quote in the north west for 1500 sq ft bungalow for 85k -

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kkelliher wrote: »
    Not necessarily free labour it's just that in rural areas there are more tradesmen willing to do the rate per sq ft cheaper because it can be done and they can still make their profit...

getting an outrageously low quotes, possibly due to loose specification/unclear inclusions, is not the same thing as complying with current building regs.. and/or moving into a finished house.

id hate to ask but... were these tradesmen charging/ paying vat?

• Advertisement

Hmm interesting - I would love to see the full spec for that price because I suspect its not current regs by a long way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement