Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

fclauson wrote: »
    Hmm interesting - I would love to see the full spec for that price because I suspect its not current regs by a long way

I would suspect that the materials alone for such a build would be in the region of €85k.......does that mean that every single tradesman would be working for free!! Or does it take us back to an earlier point where builders are refusing to pay sub-contractors and therefore gaining their profit there?

Either way i agree fully with your post FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

mfceiling wrote: »
    I would suspect that the materials alone for such a build would be in the region of €85k.......does that mean that every single tradesman would be working for free!! Or does it take us back to an earlier point where builders are refusing to pay sub-contractors and therefore gaining their profit there?

Either way i agree fully with your post FC.

no too many people on forum making comments without knowing prices of materials.
    Quote actually inclueds for high spec nordan windows and pumped insulation in cavities cousin doing plumbing / electrics for next to nothing so sorted there all rest done by builder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

June Bird wrote: »
    no too many people on forum making comments without knowing prices of materials.
    Quote actually inclueds for high spec nordan windows and pumped insulation in cavities cousin doing plumbing / electrics for next to nothing so sorted there all rest done by builder
    Please define high spec windows, double glazed, triple glazed u-ualue, certification etc the u-value of walls, type of heating etc What's your provisional ber rating .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Also how is Part L being complied with
    what level of insulation in walls and floors and roof

and saying "cavities cousin doing plumbing / electrics for next to nothing so sorted ..."

means its not a true cost of a build

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

No people living in a dreamland in probably closer to the mark. And again we have someone putting a figure out that is again includung ubstantial free labour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well to be honest june a lot of the forum members here are builders, architects, quantity surveyors and tradesmen, who would have an idea of the price of materials.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

this is what Im up against when I sit down with a cleint to dicsuss their project/design their house - they'll come up with unrealistic costings because of this type of research:
    Not necessarily free labour it's just that in rural areas there are more tradesmen willing to do the rate per sq ft cheaper because it can be done and they can still make their profit...

i got a quote in the north west for 1500 sq ft bungalow for 85k -
    black market labour by any chance?
    so what type of drawings and spec were given to the builder to get this price? planning drawings by any chance?
    archtech wrote: »
    Please define
    1. high spec windows, double glazed, triple glazed u-ualue, certification etc
    2. the u-value of walls,
    3. type of heating etc
    4. What's your provisional ber rating .

would love to see this answered
    kkelliher wrote: »
    No people living in a dreamland in probably closer to the mark. And again we have someone putting a figure out that is again including substantial free labour
    amen

No people living in a dreamland in probably closer to the mark. And again we have someone putting a figure out that is again includung ubstantial free labour

and I have to stop using the iphone for typing as my spelling confirms ......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

1400sq ft bungalow in Mayo...coming in at just under 147k.
    That is builder's finish...no kitchen, no flooring, no painting, no wall tiling.
    House will be A3...MVHR unit, solar water heating, oil boiler with energy manager, 300mm pumped cavity wall, 400mm insulation in roofspace, 200mm insulation in floor, triple glazed windows, room heating woodburning stove, air permeability of 2, sanitaryware included.
    Main Contractor running the show.
    Solicitor fees, valuer fees, architect fees, esb, water, furniture all not included.
    Hopefully will be finished for Christmas...6 month build.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭joeirish

Jaap wrote: »
    That is builder's finish...no kitchen, no flooring, no painting, no wall tiling.
    House will be A3...MVHR unit, solar water heating, oil boiler with energy manager, 300mm pumped cavity wall, 400mm insulation in roofspace, 200mm insulation in floor, triple glazed windows, room heating woodburning stove, air permeability of 2, sanitaryware included.
    Solicitor fees, valuer fees, architect fees, esb, water, furniture all not included.

Hi Jaap

That sounds interesting, not just the cost but the build method. Could you contact me so I can get some more details. Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks for what appears to be one of the most realistic honest costing with detail displayed in a while. Best of luck with the finish and hope it all works well

Thanks for what appears to be one of the most realistic honest costing with detail displayed in a while. Best of luck with the finish and hope it all works well

My wife and I were shocked in March when the 3 tenders came back...our architect was telling us last year something like €80 a square foot, more or less turnkey! Saying that we were the first of his clients to build under the new 2011 regs.
    We had to leave out the garage and downgrade / remove a few electrical items...changed the roof from being a cut one to trusses...changed the make of radiators...switched from slates to tiles...got it down to a good price.
    Looking to get the house finished...kitchen, flooring, tiling, painting, fees and the essential pieces of furniture for 185k.
    If I do I will enjoy my Xmas! :D

joeirish wrote: »
    Hi Jaap

That sounds interesting, not just the cost but the build method. Could you contact me so I can get some more details. Thanks

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

147K i could build it for half that price, well i could have before these new regs come in as i dont think your legally aloud to do all the work yourself now. Ill be building my 2nd home at some stage in tge next decade so ill have to look out for loop holes on how to get around get around these regs because theres nothing like building your own home witg your own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

yoloc wrote: »
    147K i could build it for half that price, well i could have before these new regs come in as i dont think your legally aloud to do all the work yourself now. Ill be building my 2nd home at some stage in tge next decade so ill have to look out for loop holes on how to get around get around these regs because theres nothing like building your own home witg your own hands.

Ill sit back and wait for the replies 😄

only in Ireland...... AND for the god knows how manys times.... FREE labour or doing things yourself does not mean you are building for half as you are paying for it in other ways.......I could go on but based on the manner of your post why bother....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

147K i could build it ...

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

4Sticks wrote: »

Do you thickos not understand that some people can go 20 odd years and not once tie an extention into an old cottage. This doent mean that one cant build a new house.

Tell me what you get out of following me about boads.ie and questioning my work. I bet your one of these miserable ****ers that gets a wee kick out of sitting behind your computer thinking your the dogs balls taking wee digs at others just to make you feel important.

Do you thickos not understand that some people can go 20 odd years and not once tie an extention into an old cottage. This doent mean that one cant build a new house.

Tell me what you get out of following me about boads.ie and questioning my work. I bet your one of these miserable ****ers that gets a wee kick out of sitting behind your computer thinking your the dogs balls taking wee digs at others just to make you feel important.
    How does one pay for it in other ways, if you mean by losing out on a wage because has to be on site. What if one doesnt work or knows a legal loop hole on how to still get weekly money yet still build a house ;)

Care to give a break down on how you could build a house for what you claim. I would certainly like to see your rates for concrete/block work, costs associated with achieving the required air tightness , heating proposals etc and also how you propose to achieve compliance with Part L 2011.

We all know anyone can build a house or even a block of a few hundred apartments however just because one can build something doesn't mean it is built correctly or in compliance with the statutory regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

What if one knows a legal loop hole on how to still get weekly money yet still build a house ;)

Abusive , incompetent and dishonest. You really learnt a thing or two down Stepney way.

( with no disrespect intended to the decent folk of Stepney )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

I've made an offer on a site being sold by a builder with the option to get the house built. The builder has indicated he is willing to consider the offer and is coming back to me with a spec for the house on Monday. Has anybody any experience with this sort of process and how it would differ from buying the site and getting different quotes from different builders? Obviously I am tying myself to the one builder, I will perform all necessary checks on his previous work. From general research he has a good reputation and has been in operation since 1990. My main concern is due to the nature of the purchase that the specification of the house could be really scaled back in order to save money as he has reduced the price by over €300k since the ad was first placed. Any advice on the pitfalls and things to look out for will be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

dines08 wrote: »
    the specification of the house could be really scaled back in order to save money
    have a detailed set of drawings, specification, performance standard & contract drawn up by an architect & QS and retain these services throughout - thats normal practice and it applies in your case also

if it were me, id be asking for an option on what the site sale price is only - and going to a QS to see what the build cost is separately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 sean8carthy

Beanie13 wrote: »
    anyone know about timber framed houses? want to erect a simple dormer 3 bed and looking for average price.....

any of my friends that built one wont be doing so in future concrete is the best. just look what happened to the three little pigs!

any of my friends that built one wont be doing so in future concrete is the best. just look what happened to the three little pigs!

some the oldest buildings in Europe are timber framed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 sean8carthy

fclauson wrote: »
    some the oldest buildings in Europe are timber framed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing

they were not using softwood and their climate is not as damp and humid as ireland .plus i dont think they had chipboard factories back in the 1500s. history tells us a lot that is why they are no old timber frame houses in ireland it just dont work

they were not using softwood and their climate is not as damp and humid as ireland .plus i dont think they had chipboard factories back in the 1500s. history tells us a lot that is why they are no old timber frame houses in ireland it just dont work

We're moving off topic here to some degree, but done correctly timber frame in ireland will outlast poorly constructed masonry any day. Its as much about the quality and attention to detail of the build as it is anything else. Typically the lifespan of current construction (buildings) is an average of 60 years. (The lifespan is often extended by significant refurbishment)

The only cost people generally are interested in, is the monitory cost at the time of building and possibly the cost of heating the building afterwards.The average house builder does not factor in lifecycle costings when building a house, when selecting materials etc and then there's the Carbon cost , which has yet to become a real factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ah yes, Pyrite much ???

Lots of concrete houses never make it to the design life of 60 years too.

As Archtech says, it's the quality of design/detailing and workmanship that makes a good house - components (of concrete, wood or anything else), is but one piece of the puzzle.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Almost finished blockwork on my house. Fairly straightforward 2 story house in region of 2100 sq feet with 6 inch cavity.

Cost to date

Block laying labour- 6100
    First floor labour- 800
    First Floor materials-1900
    Sills and lintels 1600
    Blocks 4000 (not got final bill yet)
    Cement/wall ties/ plas/micell etc 700

Total: 15,100

• Registered Users Posts: 13 butler_767

I understand that I dont have nearly enough information but am I just dreaming or could it be possible to build a 3 bedroom bungalow (basic, nothing special) with a budget or 80 to 90k. Literally just had the thought as I was going to buy. I don't want to go into debt before I move in so that is about as far as I can stretch. I know that this information is way too vague but just wondering if people think im dreaming with this idea.

• Advertisement

butler_767 wrote: »
    I understand that I dont have nearly enough information but am I just dreaming or could it be possible to build a 3 bedroom bungalow (basic, nothing special) with a budget or 80 to 90k. Literally just had the thought as I was going to buy. I don't want to go into debt before I move in so that is about as far as I can stretch. I know that this information is way too vague but just wondering if people think im dreaming with this idea.

no:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement