Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Horsebox777

I have planning permission to build a 3200 square foot 1.5 storey house, after sending plans to builders and this is 1st I've got back

Included in price:
    - builder access driveway
    - strip foundations
    - 150mm pumped cavity wall drylined on inside with 38mm insulated plaster board
    - White PVC windows and French doors and a composite front and back doors
    - true tone slate roof- white PVc fascia, soffit and alum gutters
    - red deal internal doors and frames with moulded skirting and architrave to match
    - red deal stairs
    - waste water and sewerage treatment system
    - rads in each room connected to solid fuel range in kitchen and condenser oil boiler in garage
    - hollow core to 1 st floor with screed finish
    - screed finish to ground floor on 6" floor insul
    - 1 metre wide footpath all around house
    - standard wiring, 30 double sockets, ceiling light in each room,3 tv points, 1 door bell,3 phone points,1 emersion, cable for sewerage system, power to shed, bulk head lights over external doors
    -38 mm insulated plaster board to ceiling of 1 st floor and kings pan attic insulation or similar.

Not included in price:
    - supplying of range or fireplaces
    - supplying of sanitary ware
    - kitchen units and built in wardrobes
    - painting and decorating
    - landscaping an, kerbing and boundrey walls
    - floor and wall tiling
    Solar panels €4600 extra

Quoted €189000 and 21 k for garage

All comments and opinions appreciated....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

There was a time when you wouldn't get a smell of a house that size built for €189,000 but I have a feeling you will do better.

Would be interesting to cost the material and labour cost of the internal insulated plasterboard vs widening the cavity instead.

Garage prices fascinate me. Is it built to the same spec?
    I have planning permission to build a 3200 square foot 1.5 storey house, after sending plans to builders and this is 1st I've got back

Included in price:
    - strip foundations
    - red deal internal doors and frames with moulded skirting and architrave to match
    - red deal stairs
    - rads in each room connected to solid fuel range in kitchen and condenser oil boiler in garage
    - standard wiring, 30 double sockets, ceiling light in each room,3 tv points, 1 door bell,3 phone points,1 emersion, cable for sewerage system, power to shed, bulk head lights over external doors
    -38 mm insulated plaster board to ceiling of 1 st floor and kings pan attic insulation or similar.

Not included in price:
    - floor and wall tiling
    Solar panels €4600 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Included in price:
    - strip foundations
    - red deal stairs

Not included in price:
    - floor and wall tiling
    Solar panels €4600 extra

Do you have a provisional BER for the design. Based on the above information I wouldn't expect you to achieve compliance with Part L 2011 of the building Regulations.

To be honest that price appears to be well below cost . Did the builder price off a set of construction drawings or the drawings used for planning. Is that price inclusive or exclusive of VAT . The garage price is about right if its a standard size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

1 - I would go for a 200 or 250 cav and drop the insulated board
    2 - if you house complies with part L 2011 I suspect your kitchen will get way too hot with a solid fuel - just cooking in ours makes the room up to 23 degrees which take a couple of hours to subside back to 21
    3 - no mention of air tight strategy/mhrv

fclauson wrote: »
    1 - I would go for a 200 or 250 cav and drop the insulated board
    2 - if you house complies with part L 2011 I suspect your kitchen will get way too hot with a solid fuel - just cooking in ours makes the room up to 23 degrees which take a couple of hours to subside back to 21
    3 - no mention of air tight strategy/mhrv

Was talking to a sales guy about the wide cavity vs the insulated board. He was suggesting that you stop heat loss at source by having the insulated board, but if you are using underfloor heating and want to use the inner leaf as a heat store, then it does not make sense. Obviously in your case with rads, it is different.

Basically he makes a few more quid supplying the insulated board with other materials, but it also takes the pressure for perfection off the blocklayer, and thereby makes the job easier for the plasterer.

• Advertisement

Was talking to a sales guy about the wide cavity vs the insulated board. He was suggesting that you stop heat loss at source by having the insulated board, but if you are using underfloor heating and want to use the inner leaf as a heat store, then it does not make sense. Obviously in your case with rads, it is different.

Basically he makes a few more quid supplying the insulated board with other materials, but it also takes the pressure for perfection off the blocklayer, and thereby makes the job easier for the plasterer.

I detect b.......t -
    1 the above might me prone to intestinal condensation and even with rads you need to make use of that wall as thermal store
    2 solid board is v hard to fit right
    3 block work will still need scud coat to make it airtight before boards are applied

Put it like this, if you are selling materials, you want sales. There is money to be made from selling insulated plasterboard, there is no money to be made from wider cavity, someone else makes the money out of the beads!!

I detect b.......t -
    1 the above might me prone to intestinal condensation and even with rads you need to make use of that wall as thermal store
    2 solid board is v hard to fit right
    3 block work will still need scud coat to make it airtight before boards are applied

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

1 the above might me prone to intestinal condensation ...

Does intestinal condensation hurt much Francis? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help it...I'll get me coat...

Does intestinal condensation hurt much Francis? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help it...I'll get me coat...

Not half as much as an inappropriate cold bridge would :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

It's the eccentric loads that I always worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

Hi all

Quick question we are in the middle of the planning process and if all ok will start building at the end of February to avoid new building regulations. we are building a large extension separate from our existing bungalow linked glass. We have been going round and round with whether to go for timber frame or cavity wall and drylined. Which is cheaper we have been quoted by a timber frame company and it is too expensive we have a spoken to a builder and he has said he would come in cheaper than timber frame. We are on a flight path and want minimal noise in our new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

From A-Z, can be around 1000euros/m2.
    BER rating A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Looking for rough cost of building a 4 bed bungalow. I have my own site with water and excellent drainage as its on a small hill. I know how long is a peace of string ect. Just wondering has anyone built one about this size latly? It's in the country and would be a few cash payments. Would a $100.000 go a long way?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

100 000 sounds good for house in the country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

100 might get you to builders finish if it I a simple design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I have two clients who spent 68 and 62k on their kitchen alone so it all comes down to spec of finish

Nice twine to be spending on a kitchen!!!!!

There wouldn't be massive variation in terms of the shell of the house from spec to spec. For example a 250mm cavity will require a wider foundation, and extra insulation etc. compared to a 150mm cavity but relatively speaking that is not massive expense and will pay for itself.

However internally you can spend what you like and still not be finished and it wont pay for itself either!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just about to confirm the architect to come draw up plans, all i want is a 15 x 25 foot extension on to a 10 x 10 shed , looking for the building to be built , im doing the the insulation and plastering my self , so what would be the rough price im looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was given this figure by a client on Friday week last, for a build he moved into just before Christmas : 185m2, Co Galway, €219,000 all-in, which is €1186/m2.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭893bet

Looking for rough cost of building a 4 bed bungalow. I have my own site with water and excellent drainage as its on a small hill. I know how long is a peace of string ect. Just wondering has anyone built one about this size latly? It's in the country and would be a few cash payments. Would a $100.000 go a long way?

It will go a long way but no where near completion. Dont fool yourself.

Anyone who says it will is taking through their arse.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I was given this figure by a client on Friday week last, for a build he moved into just before Christmas : 185m2, Co Galway, €219,000 all-in, which is €1186/m2.

€110/ft in old money which would be good value but i assume very standard spec and not all rooms fully finished?

kkelliher wrote: »
    €110/ft in old money which would be good value but i assume very standard spec and not all rooms fully finished?

No, fully finished, high spec, not sure about furniture. I emailed him off to get his airtightness result and BER, so don't have that to hand. If he sends it back I'll post it up here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

make sure site is subject to planning permission before you buy

it will cost from150k to 200k not including site it depends how much work you do your self,you could build it yourself for 100k

its cheaper to build in the country than Dublin

its cheaper if you are your own contractor

you could spend 300k on it

whats your budget first,what type of house wood,block or stone or brick,

lots of builders will start building then do know work for 6 months

it might be cheaper to buy a already house that's built

Look, there are people on this site that will tell you it is impossible to build anything for 60K but it is not necessarily the case, as we all know people who have built houses on the cheap. However you would be looking at a very basic spec and you might not build for 60k but you could get a lot of it done for it and be left with a lot of long term work to do. I think people are awakening to the reality that a turnkey house is a financial burden that can be avoided by delaying the finish and just getitng a roof over your head.

Key points
    1.Self labour
    2.A small bungalow
    3.Pound shop windows or a lucky done deal bargain
    4.Minimum insulation throughout
    5.Basic plumbing and electrics
    6.Basic finish to a minimum number of rooms
    7.Minimum cost sanitary ware, tiles, finishes, internal doors etc.

I know its 1.23am but I am not drunk and this isnt a joke, what sort of a 2bed build would 60 grand cash get you -if any at all, no jokes please!

Look, there are people on this site that will tell you it is impossible to build anything for 60K.

The basic facts are you cant. To build legally in accordance with regulations and have it signed off it simply is not possible unless you are building a glorified flat.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Looks like Direct labor as a management choice will be gone by 1st march.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Looks like Direct labor as a management choice will be gone by 1st march.

what does that mean ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A V A wrote: »
    what does that mean ?

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/more-dog-wardens-than-building-inspectors-in-ireland-self-builders-to-be-made-extinct/
    The Department in a briefing session to Engineers Ireland on 17th January confirmed that anyone nominating themselves as builder may be deemed to be not compliant under the new regulations. Under the current regulations a “competent person” must be nominated by a building owner to undertake qualifying projects. The department and CIF representatives indicated that a competent person must be the Director or Principal of a Building Company with a minimum of 3 years building experience. On project completion the new regulation specifies that a “Principal of a Building Company” only may sign the builders completion certificate. The local authority can decide that the Completion Certificate is invalid if not signed by the Director or Principal of a Building Company and has the power to prohibit the owner from occupying or using the building indefinitely.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Which means that there will be a surge of houses commencing by the end of February!!

• Advertisement

Fwiw - came across my first - ever - visit of a building control officer to a site the day before yesterday, in Galway. The shape of things to come ?

Ode To The Motorist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement