Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinnahinch Fly Fishing Centre

Options
  • 14-07-2012 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have any of you guys fished this stocked lake? It's a short hop from me but I've never been.

It looks like a wonderful setting. Does €30 for 3 hours seem reasonable?

All info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

€30 for 3 hours is expensive. Check out some of the other stocked fisheries for better value.
    http://www.flyfishingarena.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

wgsten wrote: »
    €30 for 3 hours is expensive. Check out some of the other stocked fisheries for better value.

Thanks for the reply. It does seem somewhat expensive. Might give it a miss despite it's proximity.

I think Curragh Springs seems the most attractive option.

A quick pointer on tactics for fishing these stocked fisheries would be greatly appreciated?

I presume by their nature these lakes don't suffer due to heavy rain, such as we have been having of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Might be cheaper with the price of petrol!!!!
    Pedalstool wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. It does seem somewhat expensive. Might give it a miss despite it's proximity.

I think Curragh Springs seems the most attractive option.

A quick pointer on tactics for fishing these stocked fisheries would be greatly appreciated?

I presume by their nature these lakes don't suffer due to heavy rain, such as we have been having of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Pedalstool wrote: »

You are right when you say these lakes dont suffer with the rain.
    I fished on Curragh Springs recently and i had some good fishing there, i got several nice fish using a small (size 14) Black Klinkhammer fished dry. Great fishing dry flies to these big Rainbows.
    I also got some more cracking fish using a Cats Whisked lure with a very fast retrieve, again great to watch the big fish chasing after the lure.
    When it started to get dark a good rise of fish came on and i changed over to fish a Balloon Cadis fly using a variety of different retrieves with good success.

You are right when you say these lakes dont suffer with the rain.
    I fished on Curragh Springs recently and i had some good fishing there, i got several nice fish using a small (size 14) Black Klinkhammer fished dry. Great fishing dry flies to these big Rainbows.
    I also got some more cracking fish using a Cats Whisked lure with a very fast retrieve, again great to watch the big fish chasing after the lure.
    When it started to get dark a good rise of fish came on and i changed over to fish a Balloon Cadis fly using a variety of different retrieves with good success.

Much appreciated wgsten. Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to getting out. I've grown impatient waiting for the the River to return to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

It is pricey but sometimes it just ticks all the right boxes, kids wrecking your head, dogs wrecking the garden and life really feeling like work with not much time available, all signs that a trip to Tinnahinch is needed to restore equilibrium.

The fish are actually there jumping in fromt of you but not making it too easy to catch, they are strong fish and give a great fight (you should probably use a 10 or 12lb leader to avoid losing fish).

A few hours up there sorts me out to a level that normally needs a full day fishing elsewhere.

Yep
    Try it once anyway...
    It's more expensive but the fishing is certainly a cut above the rest....
    If you don't think its good value after trying it give it a miss

fenris wrote: »
    It is pricey but sometimes it just ticks all the right boxes, kids wrecking your head, dogs wrecking the garden and life really feeling like work with not much time available, all signs that a trip to Tinnahinch is needed to restore equilibrium.

The fish are actually there jumping in fromt of you but not making it too easy to catch, they are strong fish and give a great fight (you should probably use a 10 or 12lb leader to avoid losing fish).

A few hours up there sorts me out to a level that normally needs a full day fishing elsewhere.

I will pop up there some afternoon and see what it's like. It does look like a wonderful setting. Albeit 3 hours disappears pretty quickly when you're fishing.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

In my (humble) opinion, Rathcon is head and shoulders above the rest of the stocked places on this side of the country. In terms of location/setting/fly & insect life and the fish themselves...

Have you fished them all?
    whelzer wrote: »
    In my (humble) opinion, Rathcon is head and shoulders above the rest of the stocked places on this side of the country. In terms of location/setting/fly & insect life and the fish themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Probably - Rathcon, Rathbeggan, Curragh Springs, Corkagh Park, Mahon lakes (Wexford), one in Blackwater (also Wexford), two in Kilkenny (Castlecomer I think is one of them) and at least one in Carlow, one in Stradbally (brownies only), Annamoe and who good forget - Aughrim:eek:. Haven't actually fished Tinnahinch but was there twice during construction and once since opening and it did little for me...

Some of the above I was "forced" into, on work outings, and a couple of press/z list celebs type comps. I'm going back over almost 10 years. Some I've only been to once and some have changed drastically, eg when I first went to Mahon Lakes it was a dump - rubbish everywhere, bait "anglers" using the fly lakes, etc, Was there last winter and it great and seemed to be very well run. Overall though I'd rate Rathcon above the lot, I think the fact that you need to book over the phone puts a lot of messers off. What are other folks experiences?

Advertisement