Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALdi Lacura 3 blade Shaving System better than my Gillette pro fusion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

her legs maaay be a little more surface area than your chin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

These are often 4 + 4 free in Dunnes. Cheaper than Gilette and i find them much better:

Wilkinson Xtreme III

wswome008a-400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I find that type of shaving cream is as important as the blade used. I abandoned gels long ago and instead use shaving cream from the real shaving company. TK Maxx used to do it cheap but I haven't seen it there for a while. Unfortunately can only seem to get it in Boots now. TK had a set with pre-shave, cream and moisturiser but didn't see any difference with the extra potions. Tried the gel too but cream was miles better. Never tried a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Over the last number of years, I have tried every razor possible - the various Gillettes, Wilkinson Sword, King of Shaves, DE razors, etc. I have found theam all reasonably good in their own context, with price being one of the main differences.

Gillette Fusion - great shave; expensive
    Wilkinson Sword Hydro - very good shave; less expensive; last long time; horrible "lube" strip on razor
    King of Shaves - decent shave, not as close as others; inexpensive
    DE razor - cheap; takes longer; huge diversity of quality amonst various blades

I currently alternate a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 with intermittent DE shaving when I have more time. I find the WS gives me a great, quick shave with zero irritation; it also lasts me for about 25 shaves, much longer than others. Of equal importance, I use Proraso pre and post cream and shaving cream, which makes a huge difference to ease of shaving.

I am intrigued by positive reports on Aldi razors (tried Lidl a few years ago, they were terrible) and they are on now my list to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

wingnut wrote: »
    These are often 4 + 4 free in Dunnes. Cheaper than Gilette and i find them much better:

Wilkinson Xtreme III

wswome008a-400.jpg

They're great!
    I had an 8 pack last me from Christmas just up to last week (and I have quite heavy growth).

I do use a shaving brush and shaving soap though, I think the shaving cream mucks up the razor faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

sharkman wrote: »
    Shaving.ie is a good site also , although a bit high end .

Dear god man, this is the least bargain-centric reply of the lot. I know you warn it is high end, but I've somehow convinced myself to pay €116 on that site before taking a breather and walking away. I don't know how many years of buying mach3 blades it would take (I get mine on ebay from germany) but I reckon it would take a good few years to justify. Tempting tho just for the sheer manliness of it.

Archer-S1-900x350.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Comparing quality shaving gear from the likes of shaving.ie with Mach3 is comparing apples with oranges. The major investment is a DE razor from the likes of Merkur or Muhle in Germany, yes you can pay €20 plus but it is a once off. I have DE razors that are almost a century old and work perfectly.

Likewise with a shaving brush, you can pick up an entry level boar or badger brush for €10 to €15 starting out and it will function fine. No need to splash out on an expensive high mountain badger brush starting out.

Traditional shaving cream in a tub or tube or a puck of shaving soap is available for €5 to €10 and will last for months, works out much cheaper than several cans of shaving gel goo and will give a much superior shave when used with a brush.

The most expensive DE blades come in around €30 for 100 and most people get between 3 and 5 shaves per blade.

Have a look at the starter kits on the traditional shaving shops and you caeasily get started for well under €50.

If you really want to stick with cartridge razors and save money my advice would be to stick with the twin blade Gillette Sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

unkel wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, I use a more rudimentary system:

I have been using and upgrading to the latest Gilette system whenever it arrived, and believe me, every new generation of system was better than the previous one
    +1. The new pro glide is excellent. Using the razor pit with it. Get about 9 really good shaves, even on light growth, before it starts to get even slightly uncomfortable. Shave 3 times per week, so a 4 blade pack will last me 3mths approx. Well worth it.

Have always wanted to try the merkur & kit but just never bothered. Too many boardsies singing its praises has to hold water.

Me, I'm just a sucker for a razor that you can whip around your face ( quickly if you wish ), without consideration of even the slightest nick. It just does not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dodzy wrote: »
    Me, I'm just a sucker for a razor that you can whip around your face ( quickly if you wish ), without consideration of even the slightest nick. It just does not happen.

+1

I usually shave in a hurry in the morning - I would run into trouble with my time management if I cut myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Seems like a lot of you have trouble with shaving cuts.
    Regardless of what razor type you are using, all men
    should have a styptic pencil at hand. Will stop bleeding
    straight away.
    http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shavepedia/Styptic_Pencil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

I've been looking at the basic essentials kit on shaving.ie as a starter pack, I find any other razor other than a Mach 3 seems to tear my face apart and I've tried practically all that have been mentioned in this thread apart from DE.

Incidentally if anyone is buying from shaving.ie use the coupon boards.ie at the checkout for additional discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Great thread - someone might have mentioned it but the Facial Hair and Hats forum has tonnes of info on the subject, but keep the bargains coming.

If you're near a Boots and want to try out DE shaving cheaply you can pick up a Boots own brand DE razor and blades for less than a tenner. The Wilkinson Sword blades they stock are way better than the Boots ones. Don't think they do brushes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

lads,

i've gone through my own shaving journey over the last 20 years and i'm at the stage now where i only shave for interviews and when the missus asks me to but when i do i have to say its the cream that makes all the difference

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palmolive-Classic-Extract-Shave-Cream/dp/B0012Y1ELM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342517227&sr=8-1

this stuff is a dream to shave with no matter what blade you have and its dirt cheap, a little goes a long way so a tube lasts for a good few shaves

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

wingnut wrote: »

Wilkinson Xtreme III

wswome008a-400.jpg

How long do they last?

I am currently using one from Boots and, to be honest...they are pretty bad and very complicated to clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

5500 wrote: »
    Incidentally if anyone is buying from shaving.ie use the coupon boards.ie at the checkout for additional discount!

I'm now very poor... damn you bargain alerts!!!

I've jumped head first in to a DE razor, brush, stand, treatments, cream, soaps and a sample pack of blades. Trying to decide how much to lie to the wife about how much that all cost (although theoretically in several years I'll start saving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

philips-rq1280.jpg

The Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Having struggled to find a decent razor that worked, I managed to find these in the states, stock up every time I go over.
    Boots had something similar a while ago but I havent seen them since. They might be available up north however.

I use shaving oil with them.

imag03369mzfr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

philips-rq1280.jpg

The Best.

Can you get a close shave with an electric razor.I mean close like no roughness.?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

kneemos wrote: »
    Can you get a close shave with an electric razor.I mean close like no roughness.?

I have tried numerous electric razors over the years.
    Supposedly the best ones.
    Got them both for myself and as presents, always convincing myself that if I got the best one it would work properly.
    These things are only for people with light thin stubble. They are useless for a good shave if you have thick stubble.

I've given up on them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

None of them will ever compare to a good blade. those who say they do, never had a good shave ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dodzy wrote: »
    None of them will ever compare to a good blade. those who say they do, never had a good shave ;)
    yeah but its trickier to do a full wet shave at 70 miles an hour on the drive in to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Those Wilkinson Hydros seem to last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wow interesting stuff.

I've been using the Gillete Fusion gamer or something and its been the best razer I'd had.
    I tried electric and it doesnt seem to do anything, just glides over the hair not cutting.
    I cant remember if it was lidl or aldi I got recently, but it has a yellow and grey handle. Very uncomfortable and extremely irritating.

One blade lasts me maybe 2 weeks , and I shave probably every second day or so.

These DE things sound interesting... might head over to facial hair forum :)

Also can someone please provide a picture of the razors in this topic, to see if they are the ones I bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Been using Mach 3 since they came out as they usually do a good job on my tough as nails bristles. Tried the Lidl razors a year ago and nearly ended up in A&E:rolleyes: I donated enough blood with that one Lidl razor to keep Dracula well fed for a month. That made me reluctant to change brands again. However I'll look at the other recommendations on here as the Mach3 blades don't appear to last as long as they once did.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

the Mach3 blades don't appear to last as long as they once did.

I have found that too over the last year.
    I thought it was just me, but I found a set that I had in a suitcase from two years ago and when I used them I got three times as many shaves out of the blades as I now get out of the exact same model blade that I've bought in the last while.
    They have definitely changed the quality so that you get much less shaves out of Mach 3 blades.
    Its for that reason that I'm changing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I find one of the most important parts of shaving is giving the lather time to properly soften the stubble. I leave mine on for 2-3 min's before shaving, works every time. I use Tesco fixed head disposables and very very rarely get any nicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I picked up the Philips below on Amazon Xmas last.

I'd always assumed an electric wouldn't be capable of supplanting my own razor for daily use, but sweet Jebus - the shave off this is phenomenal. You can use it in the shower with or without shaving gel, it NEVER irritates my skin, maintenance is a doddle, it's quiet and takes about 3mins.

51pMuEiQ%2BWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    These things are only for people with light thin stubble. They are useless for a good shave if you have thick stubble.

Hasn't been my experience.

The Philips handles heavy growth / unwieldy stubble without issue, whereas the Mach3 would have required a few passes to smooth an area out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I picked up the Philips below on Amazon Xmas last.

I'd always assumed an electric wouldn't be capable of supplanting my own razor for daily use, but sweet Jebus - the shave off this is phenomenal. You can use it in the shower with or without shaving gel, it NEVER irritates my skin, maintenance is a doddle, it's quiet and takes about 3mins.

51pMuEiQ%2BWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can you end up with nicks/cuts with these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

JimiMac wrote: »
    Can you end up with nicks/cuts with these?

Can't see how it'd be possible tbh - It just glides over your face. Razor-burn used be an issue with electrics, but I'm sure that's less so now.

My Gillette Mach3 would often leave my skin irritable but that simply hasn't been a factor since putting the Philips to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Basil Pesto

I too find Aldi's Lacura blades very good. I have the handle for years and just buy the disposable blades in the orange packets of four. I avoid buying the ones with integrated handles as they seem to me to be unnecessarily wasteful and thus bad for the environment.

Unfortunately I have been finding lately that not all branches of Aldi seem to have the orange packets of 4 in stock.

I also recommend De Facto shaving oil . It is made in County Mayo; an excellent product in every way

Advertisement