Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutton Island, are you allowed on it?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

I have been googling, I've found lots of pics but no confirmation

I know the waste treatment plant is out there so I'm figuring it's private property.

Found this very, very old bit of writing on a historical site and I'd like to walk around
    Mutton Island itself is nearly cut across by bays and tunnels. The very picturesque, though low, cliffs near the Telegraph Tower, with the deep clefts full of the churning sea, one with a window-like oblong ope, another branded with the fearsome name of Iffrinbeg, or “Little Hell,” are well worthy of a visit. The antiquities are most insignificant. Senan had a church here, and one coarse, late looking fragment of the west end stood in 1887 in a garden behind one of the houses.

But then I found Mutton Island on a private islands website so I'm not sure can I go out with my camera

Any walkers know?
    1. Can I walk the causeway?
    2. And can I walk around the island?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I have been googling, I've found lots of pics but no confirmation

I know the waste treatment plant is out there so I'm figuring it's private property.

Found this very, very old bit of writing on a historical site and I'd like to walk around

But then I found Mutton Island on a private islands website so I'm not sure can I go out with my camera

Any walkers know?
    1. Can I walk the causeway?
    2. And can I walk around the island?
    Thanks
    You can walk the Causeway without any problem but I think the gate about two thirds of the way up is closed at weekends , it is normally possible to walk up as far as the waste treatment plant on week days.

You are not allowed into the plant but you can make an appointment with an officer to gain access to the lighthouse. The number for this is on the gate of the treatment plant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I know its confusing OP, but the history you quote and the private island for sale refers of Mutton Island Co. Clare, which is about a mile west of Quilty Pier.

You are not the only one to make this mistake, Salthill.com has pictures of Mutton Island in Galway Bay but text referring to the other Mutton Island in Co. Clare.

The lighthouse on our Mutton Island has been restored and is open by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Many the time I used to walk out there when I was a kid before they built the 'Shltehouse on the Lighthouse'. Always had to watch for the tide though. When they finally got planning they promised that we would still have access to the island but I still hav'nt got past the barriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Two Mutton Islands?

Damn, that is confusing

Thanks for the info

Two Mutton Islands?

Damn, that is confusing

You think that is bad ??? ;)

There is an Inishbofin off Cleggan in Galway and another one off Gweedore in Donegal !

And is that was not confusing enough there are 3 Inishturks, one out beyond the Sky Road in Clifden, another 20 Km north of it off Killary Harbour and a third one in Clew bay ( this one is Called InishTurk Beg)

:D

• Advertisement

Does whoever owns the sewerage treatment plant own the lighthouse there as well, or would that be privately owned by someone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does whoever owns the sewerage treatment plant own the lighthouse there as well, or would that be privately owned by someone else?
    I think the island was purchased by the Council in the 1970s. We own the plant and the stuff that goes through it.. There used to be free heritage tours to the lighthouse and surrounds, maybe they still are. Contact the heritage officer at GalwayCityCouncil to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

The Council own the Island. The lighthouse has been restored by the Galway Civic Trust through a Fas scheme which is nearly complete. It has been ongoing for over 5 years.
    Access is through arrangement with City Heritage officer but tours are offered throughout the year as part of different events.
    This is a video tour of the lighthouse with heritage officer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXOGK8bfn0

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

During National Heritage week,which i think is in August,they do tours out there for free.Eventually they want to have an access path built going off the causeway around to the lighthouse and hope to have a little coffee shop there aswell,would be a popular spot i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Two Mutton Islands?

Damn, that is confusing

Thanks for the info

Three, there's another off Gurteen/Dogs bay near Roundstone.

I'm sure there are many more Mutton Islands in Ireland also. Place names are often repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

JohnGalway closed his account ^^^^ That's a shame

Sorry to bump my own thread

I fancy a walk!

Looking around Galway and I saw an island

But you go to satellite view there seems to be a causeway
    Is this walkable? Does the tide cover it so open only at certain times?

It's south of Renmore, there with the long causeway

215831.jpg

Asking the good people of boards in case the tide comes in and I have to spend the night out there :pac:

Asking the good people of boards in case the tide comes in and I have to spend the night out there :pac:

You are looking at Hare Island... the spit of land out to it is walkable from Ballyloughane at low tides, but when it covers it is difficult to see the line of the spit. Not much to see out there except a different view on Galway City.

I have walked out there at low spring tide, but the return involved a bit of wadeing to avoid the prospect of calling the emergency services needlessly or spending 12 hours marooned on it :)

I would advise only doing it on the fall of a low spring tide and mark the position of the tide with a stick when you get there, so that you will know when to start on your way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A good few people have got stuck on Hare Island over the years so take good care if you are heading out there.

Advertisement