Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate moving out due to noise from neighbour

Options
  • 14-07-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi guys,

Myself and my friend moved into a 2bedroomed apartment a month ago and signed a one year lease. the tenants upstairs started making a lot of noise a couple weeks ago, got so bad, we put in a noise complaint against them. We were told that a letter would be sent to them regarding this issue.

Since than they have still been noisey so i put in another noise complaint yesterday evening to our agent and emailed it today. However my flatmate has decided that she is fed of it and has decided to move home rather than wait and see what happens.

My question is: will i have to pay the full amount of rent when shes gone or is she still responsible to pay it for the remainder of the lease seeing as its her breaking the lease and i want to stay?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Are both your names on the lease? If so then you both jointly responsible for the lease; the rent has to be paid and you are both responsible if it is not paid. Your friend is going to have to face the fact that if she walks out on the lease then both of you will be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kimberely biscuits

Ya both our names are on the lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

hi guys,

Myself and my friend moved into a 2bedroomed apartment a month ago and signed a one year lease. the tenants upstairs started making a lot of noise a couple weeks ago, got so bad, we put in a noise complaint against them. We were told that a letter would be sent to them regarding this issue.

Since than they have still been noisey so i put in another noise complaint yesterday evening to our agent and emailed it today. However my flatmate has decided that she is fed of it and has decided to move home rather than wait and see what happens.

My question is: will i have to pay the full amount of rent when shes gone or is she still responsible to pay it for the remainder of the lease seeing as its her breaking the lease and i want to stay?

Any help would be great!
    If your friend is insistent on moving out, she is allowed to assign her part of the lease to someone (with the consent of the landlord and who is acceptable to him) who will take over her part of the lease.

Usually, when more than one person signs the same lease, they become jointly and severally liable for the rent (and other debts owed to the landlord). The landlord may chase any one of the signatories individually or all on them together. If your friend moves out, you will have to pay the full rent as indicated on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kimberely biscuits

i was thinking that, thanks

Advertisement