Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packed Pubs

Options
  • 14-07-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Not about to go into a blog-style write-up of my various experiences with packed pubs, but here's the TL;DR version:

<generalisation>People think they're great</generalisation>

There should be a limit to how many people are allowed in; but Publicans will pack the punters in like Sardines in a Tin at times just to make fast bucks.

That has to stop.

As for the 'good atmosphere' argument. Totally lame too...

If your idea of 'atmosphere' is a Pub that smells like the Duty Free section at Dublin airport, then indulge yourself, by all means. Who am I to judge you?

Add to this the requirement to shout over people's voices, and the social awkwardness that soaks the whole pub because nobody can hear each other; it is all tantamount to sheep mentality, and groupthink IMHO.

Ban the packed Pub

Why do some peeps think Packed Pubs are teh hawtness?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm more concerned about shite music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

But I like feeling like teh hawtness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

You should move to the Wesht OP. Havent seen a packed pub here since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Hate packed pubs myself. Jostling with people to get a drink at the bar, the bang of sweat as you're pushing through the crowd, trying to have a conversation but too many around and a never ending queue for the toilet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anyone else think this was about pubes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate being in big crowds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Went to packed pubs and clubs as standard when I was younger.
    Once I went to a few emptier places I realised how much it improved my mood to be able to walk freely and not have to push through people for ten minutes just to travel thirty metres to the bar, at which point you'd wait another ten minutes to order a drink. Come back to your friends half an hour later. What a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

But if I move away from the fart, someone else might steal the spot I was standing in.
    Pretty much the point where I decided I'd avoid crowded pubs from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Are you writing a book on the pub or something OP? That's your second thread on the pub today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

KKkitty wrote: »
    Hate packed pubs myself. Jostling with people to get a drink at the bar, the bang of sweat as you're pushing through the crowd, trying to have a conversation but too many around and a never ending queue for the toilet.
    Totally. There's really nothing enjoyable about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

This thread is about five years too late, can't imagine there are too many packed pubs around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Let a guinness one rip. Soon plenty of room to breath it in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I hate packed pubs, and clubs too for that matter.

Nothing worse than having to rub off sweaty drunk people when you're trying to squeeze past them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Chucken wrote: »

I couldn't find one that wasn't packed last week in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ElephantStone

Love an aul packed pub meself, tis great for copping a sly feel and getting away with it. As opposed to tryna feel her arse and say it wasn't you when it's just the two of you at the bar, try explaining that one to the guards!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Was in the local there. You couldn't turn a sweet in your mouth it was so packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

I couldn't find one that wasn't packed last week in Galway.

I hope your right buddy, cause im goin to galway next week...

And if i cant find a bar that isnt packed full of women, il go ****ing MAD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

packed pubs are grand when you're a young'un

the older you get the more you value being able to get a pint just by raising the finger, and leaving the wallet on the bar while you go to the jacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I despised packed pubs when I was 19 as much as I do now. Don't like empty ones on a night out either. Happy medium is rare.

Onixx wrote: »
    I despised packed pubs when I was 19 as much as I do now. Don't like empty ones on a night out either. Happy medium is rare.

nothing wrong with an empty pub at all

if im heading out for a pint with 2 or 3 mates then i much prefer an empty pub. but then im old, so i'd go out for a chat, and maybe to play a bit of snooker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

An empty pub is grand during the day, but on a night out I'd need more atmosphere.

Onixx wrote: »
    An empty pub is grand during the day, but on a night out I'd need more atmosphere.

ah you make your own atmosphere. give me the ability to come and go as i please, sit at the bar, and not take 10 minutes to get in and out of the jacks and im happy

i feel so past it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I hate packed pubs. Went to a pub last night and sat outside the whole night because it was so hot and noisy inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I hate packed pubs. Went to a pub last night and sat outside the whole night because it was so hot and noisy inside.

Dont ye just hate that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Chucken wrote: »

Galway is non stop mental and always has been. You haven't seen a packed pub in four years! It's time to leave the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Dont ye just hate that !!

It was mental, should have seen it. Then some guy was trying to touch me up under the table while my date tried to get it off with his date!!

Still shagged him though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Not about to go into a blog-style write-up of my various experiences with packed pubs, but here's the TL;DR version:

<generalisation>People think they're great</generalisation>

There should be a limit to how many people are allowed in; but Publicans will pack the punters in like Sardines in a Tin at times just to make fast bucks.

That has to stop.

As for the 'good atmosphere' argument. Totally lame too...

If your idea of 'atmosphere' is a Pub that smells like the Duty Free section at Dublin airport, then indulge yourself, by all means. Who am I to judge you?

Add to this the requirement to shout over people's voices, and the social awkwardness that soaks the whole pub because nobody can hear each other; it is all tantamount to sheep mentality, and groupthink IMHO.

Ban the packed Pub

I agree with your post-there def should be a limit on how many people are allowed into a pub-I don't mind a crowd in a pub/nightclub but within reason-when a pub/nightclub is crowded to the point where you care barely move around and having to push to be able to get past people plus people constantly bumping into you when trying to stand around with people you re out with and talk-the shouting part is annoying too most of us don't mind loud music but again within reason-loud but not loud to the point where people can't hear each other and having to shout to be heard.

Love an aul packed pub meself, tis great for copping a sly feel and getting away with it

by the sounds of that a packed pub also helps you with not getting kicked out for being 12, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Shryke wrote: »
    Galway is non stop mental and always has been. You haven't seen a packed pub in four years! It's time to leave the village.

Obviously a city will be busier than a town ;)

Why would I leave here? just because the pubs are quite?
    Nah, thanks :)

I like quite pubs. Its lovely to be able to have a chat without having to shout.
    Im too auld for that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

It was mental, should have seen it. Then some guy was trying to touch me up under the table while my date tried to get it off with his date!!

Still shagged him though....

Classy..:D

Advertisement