Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly barking dog

Options
  • 14-07-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I'm having a nightmare with a dog that keeps barking.

I've moved into an area which is otherwise very quiet, but, behind where I live is a house which has been refurbished into flats and one of the people who lives there has a dog that they keep in the back garden (presumably as security) which is barking all hours of the day and night.

I know that under the EPA Act and the Control of Dogs Act I can make a complaint, but firstly I have to notify the owner of the dog of the issue in the hope that it can be resolved. Thing is, I don't know who the owner is as there are six flats making up that house and it's not the kind of area where you can go knocking on the door and asking if they own the barking dog!

I also worry about this because I LOVE dogs and I certainly don't want this one taken away from its owner. It's not the dog's fault. I've tried to ignore it for as long as I can, but I'm being woken up every night - sometimes five or six times -by this really deep barking - and it can go on for ages each time. It has really become an issue. If they could keep it in during the night, I can live with barking during the day.

I'm also wondering why nothing has been done already - aside from the other five flats in the house, there's a whole street of people where I live. I don't really know anybody on my street yet so I haven't got to ask them what they think.

I did ring the guards one time when it was about 3am and I was stuck awake again listening to this, but they said there was nothing they could do about a dog barking when I couldn't tell them what house it was coming from.

Sorry for the long post, but I moved here to get away from noise and this is winding me up to the limit! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

try and find out whom the flats belong to, either the council or another company. If theres available flats they may have a number posted up, and then complain to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

6 flats?
    Six letters adddressed to "occupant" could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Try getting a dog whistle.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Was renting a bedroom at the back of a terraced house in Dublin 4 facing the back of another row of terraced houses. On occasion a dog used bark at night in a back garden of the opposite row of houses, maybe twice a week, not every night. The problem was not as bad as OP, definitely not worth searching for owner/house.

Anyway I bought a dog whistle on ebay. Every single time the dog barked I would open my window and blow the whistle as hard as I could for about 60 seconds. The barking would always stop straightaway. I did this maybe 6 times over about 10 days and the problem stopped. I presume that the dog was “trained”, i.e. Barking At Night = Loud Whistle. It could have been a coincidence too though.

It may be worth a try for the sake of <€10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Try getting a dog whistle.

Sounds like a good idea. Or you could try posting in the Animal and Pets forum where they'll sympathise at first, but ultimately conclude that it's all your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

Same problem with alsatian who barks all night long lives at the back of us.I have never seen the owners take the dog out for walks.They are not the type of people do listen to reason either.This dog barks non stop almost every night.It drives the missus and me nuts.Any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I second the dog whitle idea. bought one in a large pet shop in Blanchardstown for less than 3eur and blew it every single time neighbours' dog barked. Dog stopped barking almost straight away and i haven't had any problems since :)

Advertisement