Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 30gb limit - do they charge for excess??

• 14-07-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hey all

I am using 30gb limit broadband at the moment. I know that in the past they tended not to charge if people went over it, I myself often go upto 35gb. Not much but if you did it with a dongle christ you'd know about it.

Does anyone here know if Eircom have begun to enforce the limits recently, as my download now is at 28gb for the month and I'm wondering if I should just go hell for leather and take a chance on it? Always a risk but I'm wondering if it's worth a punt. Some people on previous forums said they have never ever stayed within the limits, though most of those posts are a few years old now and things might have changed. The package we have doesn't count uploads in the limit, if that matters.

In the past there was a lot of anecdotal evidence of people going 2,3,4 times the limit without any fines. Anyone still using a limited package know about the current state of affairs? Be handy to know.

Thanks
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thought it was €2 per gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We used to be fined every month on excess until we got them to agree to move us to unlimited.

Now with UPC and giving the finger to eircom, scummers.

Since the NGB rollout they have been enforcing caps. NGB was basically a switch from a speed based model to a usage based model. So if you're on the NGB service then you will be charged for going over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Hey all

I am using 30gb limit broadband at the moment. I know that in the past they tended not to charge if people went over it, I myself often go upto 35gb. Not much but if you did it with a dongle christ you'd know about it.

Does anyone here know if Eircom have begun to enforce the limits recently, as my download now is at 28gb for the month and I'm wondering if I should just go hell for leather and take a chance on it? Always a risk but I'm wondering if it's worth a punt. Some people on previous forums said they have never ever stayed within the limits, though most of those posts are a few years old now and things might have changed. The package we have doesn't count uploads in the limit, if that matters.

In the past there was a lot of anecdotal evidence of people going 2,3,4 times the limit without any fines. Anyone still using a limited package know about the current state of affairs? Be handy to know.

Thanks
    Jack

Would you mind me asking how much usage do you get for your 30Gb. I'm moving to an O2 15Gb next month. I need to watch 3-3.5 hours of video per week which equates to 16Gb per month. How many hours of video would you get for your 30Gb?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

cabledude wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking how much usage do you get for your 30Gb. I'm moving to an O2 15Gb next month. I need to watch 3-3.5 hours of video per week which equates to 16Gb per month. How many hours of video would you get for your 30Gb?

Thanks.

Thats an impossible question to answer without more information

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Thats an impossible question to answer without more information

What type of info is needed? I need to watch online tutorials that are approx 3-3.5 hours long per week 4 weeks per month. I have a 15Gb capacity per month and am wondering will I have enough with 15Gb for my needs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

What type of info is needed? I need to watch online tutorials that are approx 3-3.5 hours long per week 4 weeks per month. I have a 15Gb capacity per month and am wondering will I have enough with 15Gb for my needs?

Having a 15gb dongle myself, that sounds like you'd stay well with in, to me anyway though I could be wrong of course.

Karsini wrote: »
    Since the NGB rollout they have been enforcing caps. NGB was basically a switch from a speed based model to a usage based model. So if you're on the NGB service then you will be charged for going over it.

Hey I have to be honest I'm not the bill payer and I don't know if we are on the NGB, we do live in a rural area however... we are on the same package for a few years now. It's a bundle deal with home phone - I've never heard any word of fines when we've gone over by a few gig, as we no doubt will do again this month.

The only thing I know for sure about the package is that uploads don't count, perhaps they do with NGB? Do you have any idea? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hey I have to be honest I'm not the bill payer and I don't know if we are on the NGB, we do live in a rural area however... we are on the same package for a few years now. It's a bundle deal with home phone - I've never heard any word of fines when we've gone over by a few gig, as we no doubt will do again this month.

The only thing I know for sure about the package is that uploads don't count, perhaps they do with NGB? Do you have any idea? :)

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

What type of info is needed?

The bitrate of the video.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken there.

To be honest I know i amen't! Uploads have never been, and still aren't, included in our limit. I am always seeding torrents - If this was the case the download amount would exceed 60 or 70 gbs every month :)

Elysian wrote: »
    The bitrate of the video.

Ok. I'll ask the college to enquire from their I.T. department as to the typical bitrate per 1.5 hour lecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok. I'll ask the college to enquire from their I.T. department as to the typical bitrate per 1.5 hour lecture.

Bit rate is per second. You then calculate it for the time.

Eg: 800KBps = 48MB per min or ~2.9GB Per Hour.

Depending on compression, you could be a bit less than this, or a good bit more.

Oh, and add 5-10% for other misc background data, streaming has an overhead as compared to FTP with relatively little.

ED E wrote: »
    Bit rate is per second. You then calculate it for the time.

Eg: 800KBps = 48MB per min or ~2.9GB Per Hour.

Depending on compression, you could be a bit less than this, or a good bit more.

Oh, and add 5-10% for other misc background data, streaming has an overhead as compared to FTP with relatively little.

So, the college came back to me. Said that the lectures were mostly audio with basic text/powerpoint type efforts. So the data use would be relatively light. Loads of current and past students doing online courses have mobile broadband and none of them have ever come near the 15Gb limit. One lad between March and June used only 12 Gb in total over 300 hours of use. So I'll be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement