Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to set up a bank account - completely clueless

Options
  • 14-07-2012 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I need to set up a bank account soon as I'll be starting work soon. I've just finished my Leaving Cert, so I'm in a sort of limbo state between being a second level student and a third level one. I have a couple of questions. First of all, what type of current account can I set up? Am I eligible for a student account despite not yet being a full-time student? I'm also a bit unsure about where would be best to bank with. My mother reckons I should go with Bank of Ireland as there's one close by, but would this be a good choice? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to anything like banking and finance, so any advice would be appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

all the three Irish banks have 'packages' for students. talk to all three before you make up yoru mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

bring plenty of id.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

leaveiton wrote: »
    First of all, what type of current account can I set up? Am I eligible for a student account despite not yet being a full-time student?

No, strictly speaking you are not eligible for a student account. However, if you give proof that you are about to start a 3rd level course, then you should be able to open an account.
    leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm also a bit unsure about where would be best to bank with. My mother reckons I should go with Bank of Ireland as there's one close by, but would this be a good choice?

All options are here.

BoI don't have great online banking features.

I would go with PTSB with the below account.
    Permanent TSB: Student Current Account
    • Day-to-day banking: Free (no conditions)
    • Credit interest rate: Zero.
    • Account opening restrictions:
      (1) Aged 18 or over AND
      (2) In full time 3rd level education.
    • Non euro cash withdrawals: 3.5% (min €3.17, max €11.43).
    • Debit Card Type: Visa Debit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

ravima wrote: »
    all the three Irish banks have 'packages' for students. talk to all three before you make up yoru mind.

There are 5 Irish banks that offer clearing services and 10+ that offer consumer services.

For student accounts, there are 5 options. Namely, PTSB, Ulster, BoI or AIB. NIB no longer have a student specific account bur you can open a regular account with them.

Advertisement