Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talking to people from your past

• 14-07-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find it really hard/awkward/draining having conversations with people you knew well from years back.

I was at a family event today and had to talk to cousins and friends that I hadn't seen for years. That **** is unpleasant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yeah, too much time has passed, and don't really want to get in to protracted conversations randomly like you are describing. At a best case, I'd arrange to meet up some other time to catch up. None of that on the spot crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm extremely awkward in those situations and people just give up trying to converse with me after a while

It's a blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Yeah. About thirty seconds into the forced conversation you realise that you have nothing in common with them & they are as boring as fcuk.
    But why do people carry on like they're best friends & suggest "we should meet up for a drink sometime soon" when it's obvious they are in as much pain as you are. That drink will never happen but it's nearly always suggested out of some stupid sense of politeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yeah especially when your life hasn't exactly gone to plan. And you are faced with endless questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Not always no.

I was at my debs a year ago now nearly and I met a few of my best friends from primary school there. I didn't even know they would be there!

We hit it off and fell back into routine like nothing ever happened. It was really nice and a great night. Made me realise how much I missed them. It's actually kind of sad we ever drifted apart but that's life I suppose:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's usually not helped by the fact that now we have feck all in common, except Tony Sopranos "most boring conversation ever" - that being, "remember when.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That's what drink is for bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I wish mate. The valiums will be hit tomorrow for round two.

But why do people carry on like they're best friends & suggest "we should meet up for a drink sometime soon" when it's obvious they are in as much pain as you are. That drink will never happen but it's nearly always suggested out of some stupid sense of politeness.
    For my part, I only offer it if I mean it from the conversation that has just gone on. What I hate is the "so whats your new number" one. Well, when I'd rather not give it, I mean.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Not always no.

I was at my debs a year ago now nearly and I met a few of my best friends from primary school there. I didn't even know they would be there!

We hit it off and fell back into routine like nothing ever happened. It was really nice and a great night. Made me realise how much I missed them. It's actually kind of sad we ever drifted apart but that's life I suppose:)
    I've had something like this happen on a minor scale a number of times. I tend to catch up with people for a while and fall out of touch a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I thought this would be another thread about psychics and ghost from the title.

Thread disappoints:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah, but sometimes its awkward because of all the drink the last time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Your not talking to people from your past, it's more like they're talking to people from their future.

I'm extremely awkward in those situations and people just give up trying to converse with me after a while

It's a blessing
    I like your style. I think there should be some sort of law that if you haven't seen someone in x amount of time you're legally obliged to ignore them.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I thought this would be another thread about psychics and ghost from the title.

Thread disappoints:(
    With a subtext of excess drug abuse.

Your not talking to people from your past, it's more like they're talking to people from their future.
    Good point. It's actually like having conversations with random strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Tried it, with a former friend bit you know how that goes.. two very different paths and an stubborn undercurrent of mutual condescending. Was left to wonder why he asked for me via my brother in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Pushtrak wrote: »
    With a subtext of excess drug abuse.

Me or the OP????

Advertisement