Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific accident Spanish Arch

Options
  • 14-07-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Folks major delays at Spanish arch,road closed off outside Thai garden.
    Cutting people out of cars at the moment and it looks v bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭squonk

Sappa wrote: »

Odd place for a serious accident. Hope everyone involved is largely ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

squonk wrote: »

I have no idea how it happened but one is a 07 eclass merc and they have the rook off,the other a pinto and it mangled like a figure of 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Thread title reads like a Sunday World newspaper headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

any sign of a neck injury and they will cut of the roof with no hesitation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

skelliser wrote: »
    any sign of a neck injury and they will cut of the roof with no hesitation

+1
    Cutting the roof off may occur even without a sign of spinal injury; but the possibility that type of injury may be present.
    It facilitates training.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

+1
    Cutting the roof off may occur even without a sign of spinal injury; but the possibility that type of injury may be present.
    It facilitates training.

That was my.thought as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

squonk wrote: »

Yeah I can't imagine anyone would be going too fast in that area unless sOme idiot was joyriding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I think one car crossed over quickly from the back of tge house hotel beside that building site where the cinema is to go and the other car coming from tge docks was traveling quickly.
    No idea who was at fault but it was like a crash you see on a motorway,let's hope they all got out with only minor injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

It's a very dangerous spot of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think one car crossed over quickly from the back of tge house hotel beside that building site where the cinema is to go and the other car coming from tge docks was traveling quickly.

No idea who was at fault but it was like a crash you see on a motorway,let's hope they all got out with only minor injuries.

No news reports yet.

Was it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think OP means Spanish Parade?

Same spot as my earlier link, but from opposite angle.

I'm assuming that's the road section that's being referred to, from earlier descriptions.

The hoarding around the Picture Palace site in the above link means this stretch has been updated on StreetView.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It's a very dangerous spot of the road.

Absolutely. Even during the day you have to be very careful of that junction. I nearly got side swiped by a van there on Friday.

Hope everyone involved in the accident is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    No news reports yet.

Was it here?

Yes. The cutting was happening on the car that appeared to have come from Lower Merchant's Rd. (We walked past while it was happening.)

It's a dangerous enough spot - I had a rental for the weekend, only avoided being swiped by someone coming out when they shouldn't have because I knew that it's a risky one. But still very hard to imagine how they had enough speed to do that much damage: we're talking seriously wrecked cars here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

New cars don't stand up to much damage anyway though do they? Designed to crumple and whatnot.

I've seen Gardai checkpoints around there before, maybe it's a hotspot for speeding.

New cars don't stand up to much damage anyway though do they? Designed to crumple and whatnot.

I've seen Gardai checkpoints around there before, maybe it's a hotspot for speeding.

I'd have thought a car now would be much safer then an older model. Although that's make and model dependant.

No that's not why the Guards do checkpoints there. It's because you can't get away from them if you turn onto the road. They generally take an area with few to no turn offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I'd have thought a car now would be much safer then an older model. Although that's make and model dependant.

They are much safer. The crumpling of the car absorbs the force of the impact before it reaches the passenger compartment, whereas with old cars which don't crumple the majority of the force is transmitted to the occupants.

This is a good video which shows an impact between a new style car and the old, and shows how big a difference the crumpling effect can have (from about 36 seconds):

The red (new) car crumples, leaving the passenger compartment intact, whereas the blue (old-style) car transmits the impact to the passenger compartment, which warps and spills open - you can see one of the crash test dummies actually partially exit the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

the cars mentioned in a previous post are incorrect, I first aided both cars and neither of them were the brands named.

A car came from, as mentioned, he house hotel side with the intention of going towards Spanish parade/long walk and didn't stop, hit another car, which turned out to be a relative of mine, on the drivers side.

Both cars were dismantled for the sake of the occupants and potential spinal injuries. All I know is that the driver of one of the cars who went to hospital last night on a spinal board is at home safe today, the others I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

I saw the aftermath of it and the cars looked (as previously mentioned) like a high speed motorway crash considering it was in a city ! Hopefully better signage will be put there to avoid a repeat.

More importantly let's all hope for a speed recovery for all involved ! At the end of the day, cars can be replaced !

• Advertisement

6 SPEED wrote: »
    I saw the aftermath of it and the cars looked (as previously mentioned) like a high speed motorway crash considering it was in a city ! Hopefully better signage will be put there to avoid a repeat.

More importantly let's all hope for a speedy recovery for all involved ! At the end of the day, cars can be replaced !

It does seem like a minor accident in terms of injuries, thankfully, as there is nothing on the local news about the incident AFAIK.

Proper signage is a basic requirement, I suppose, but personally I don't have much faith in signs (or wonders) as a way of modifying motorist behaviour and driving patterns.

FYP, BTW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunately it's a spot with zero visibility, nad unless you know the area you don't expect someone to come across you when you're coming from the docks.

The sooner the cinema is finished and the hoarding comes down the better as far as I'm concerned.

In the meantime, as others have said, signage is needed. Hopefully everyone who was involved escaped injury.

To the young Garda on traffic duty on the docks; a hi-vis jacket would have made your life a lot easier, as many people had nearly driven over you before they saw you because of the area being dark and your clothing being dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

A mirror on the corner of the museum wouldn't go astray, seeing as you are completely blind from that angle, even when you creep, you have to wait until someone has stopped or you are far enough out to see before you can go. The jinxed Picture Palace strikes again.

A mirror is a great idea, but the thinking behind them is that if you put up a mirror and there's an accident, then you are aware that there is a problem there and therefore you could be deemed partly responsible for the accident. As a result, nobody is wiiling to do do anything in case they might get to share the blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

Fey! wrote: »
    To the young Garda on traffic duty on the docks; a hi-vis jacket would have made your life a lot easier, as many people had nearly driven over you before they saw you because of the area being dark and your clothing being dark.

Same thing happened to myself, was just passing BAR 8 when I just saw a flashlight !

He happens to be a mate of mine. He's a Garda Reserve and only recently joined so he was there on his own without any experience so I'd say a Hi-Vis Jacket wasn't on his mind ! Crazy if you ask me !

Hi-viz is integral to AGS uniforms, AFAIK.

Not the same for Reserves?

I don't think that everyone has the hi-vis yet. In the case of the Garda above, he was doing a good job but probably have found it easier if people could have seen him sooner.

Advertisement