Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat not grooming properly?

• 14-07-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

ive had my cat since april, she is from a shelter and now 1 year and 9 months old

her coat is immaculate and she grooms pretty much the expected amount for a cat but she never seems to do her backside properly so it always looks a bit unclean

ive watched her in action and it seems like she is grooming the wrong spot...has even over-groomed to the point of making it sore just above at the base of her tail

i tried spraying a little water there to try and encourage her to groom but she doesnt like that and is equally unimpressed if i go for the toilet roll

she is wormed regularly and does her business outside so i dont get to keep an eye on things but i would know if there was diahorea

is there anything i can do to encourage better grooming in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Is she longhaired or over weight?
    Is it bad? If they have a bit of a bowel issue sometimes that can prevent them cleaning properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

she is short haired and her weight is just right

her gut was not in good shape when i got her and it has taken a while for it to settle as she is now eating good food

its not really bad its just not clean and unpleasant to look at

it only really bothers me as cats ive had before were very clean in that area so i am comparing...its also not good that she overgrooms the wrong spot as she could get infected

maybe if she was taken form mum too early she didnt learn the full skill set, in which case maybe i can encourage her

Advertisement