Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for GRANAHAN family Crossmolina

Options
  • 14-07-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a little project on the go that involves me trying to return a very old book to it's original owner, a lady called Breedge Granahan.

The book was rescued from a skip on the street in Dublin and given to me. My father had found it and knew I would hate to see a book being dumped! That was about four years ago and just this week I discovered the book has an inscription.

It was awarded to a young Breedge when she was a school girl in Gortnor Abbey and was given in recognition of her 'good manners'. That was Christmas 1943.

I would love to return such a lovely item to Breedge, I know for me it would be a sentimental treasure so perhaps she or her children or gran children would like to have it.

If you have any contacts or information on any of the Granahan family I would very much appreciate your help. I believe Breedge is alive,in her 80 certainly, possibly from the Derrahilla area and had a sister called Norah. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jfinnerty

i am origanally from just outside crossmolina. i will ask a few people i know down there about her where abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sabrina09

Thanks a million,its much appreciated.
    jfinnerty wrote: »
    i am origanally from just outside crossmolina. i will ask a few people i know down there about her where abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carmelt

I live in Crossmolina and know quite a few granahans, could you pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Almost certainly she is not a Granahan now. Very possibly married, although there was a sizable number of vocations from Gortnor Abbey in those times.

Almost certainly she is not a Granahan now. Very possibly married, although there was a sizable number of vocations from Gortnor Abbey in those times.

It has crossed my mind alright that she could well be a Sister and failing that more likely she'll have married... who knows!
    I look forward to hopefully finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kevin warren

My mother was a boarder in Gortnor Abbey around that time,she came from the neighbouring village so may very well have know her.( My mother has since passed away).
    I have family still living in the area so will ask around for you..

My mother was a boarder in Gortnor Abbey around that time,she came from the neighbouring village so may very well have know her.( My mother has since passed away).
    I have family still living in the area so will ask around for you..
    Thank you kevin... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

You could contact Gortnorabbey and ask if they have any records. It is their centenary celebrations this year they may be interested to see the book. You will have to wait until late august though. There are Granaghans in Castlehill area check the phone book for Granaghans in Creevey.

Daisy M wrote: »
    You could contact Gortnorabbey and ask if they have any records. It is their centenary celebrations this year they may be interested to see the book. You will have to wait until late august though. There are Granaghans in Castlehill area check the phone book for Granaghans in Creevey.

A poster here made contact with a nephew of Breedge and he is a Granaghan from Castlehill as it happens.
    She passed away a few years ago it seems but he would love the book.
    I'm going to phone him this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

That was a very cool little story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement