Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak on the Car Roof

Options
  • 15-07-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So am I right in saying that a lot of people just put their kayak on the roof of their car and strap it down? Straps in between the roof and the tops of the doors? I have some old swimming training floats I was thinking of putting at the four corners, or should I just put a couple of towels down? Or should I buy a roof rack?

Buying a kayak tomorrow and wondering about transporting it. It think it'll be okay coming down the motorway. It won't fall off will it? Any tips on positioning, etc.? I guess have most of it to the back of the car? Kayak will be a sit on top, about 9 feet long.

Would it be frowned upon by the gardaí to sit on top of the kayak as my girlfriend drives the car homewards?

Thanks a lot y'all.

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

should I buy a roof rack?

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

We once drove from Munich to Bovec, Slovenia with a thermarest between four boats and the hired car (we were really stuck!) I've also used towels as well, since I don't have my own car and often use my mother's. I would recommend getting your own roof rack but if you're stuck you can do this and it shouldn't be a problem so long as you're very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Apart for the safety aspect, ie kayak not falling off and killing someone, you would also be damaging the roof. Buy a roof rack. There is an place on adverts selling the foam / blow up type for around €70

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hi,

So am I right in saying that a lot of people just put their kayak on the roof of their car and strap it down? Straps in between the roof and the tops of the doors? I have some old swimming training floats I was thinking of putting at the four corners, or should I just put a couple of towels down? Or should I buy a roof rack?

Buying a kayak tomorrow and wondering about transporting it. It think it'll be okay coming down the motorway. It won't fall off will it? Any tips on positioning, etc.? I guess have most of it to the back of the car? Kayak will be a sit on top, about 9 feet long.

Would it be frowned upon by the gardaí to sit on top of the kayak as my girlfriend drives the car homewards?

Thanks a lot y'all.

Alan
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi,

Thanks a lot y'all.

Alan

Not at all. once you you have a safety belt and goggles

Stick it to the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Another roof rack vote. You want confidence in your method of transporting boats, and you won't have that when it's tied to the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You have to be having a laugh here OP? Right? RIGHT?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

nothing wrong with strapping directly to the roof from the point of view of keeping the boat on the roof. in fact directly to the roof is theoretically safer, as the roofrack anchoring system may suffer from human error.
    it may damage the roof of the car, depending on method used, and roof shape. also be aware that in rain the water runs down the straps and into the car.
    there is no legal complications of hauling this way. if the load is secure, the garda will have zero problems, or grounds for problems. as with all loads, ensure you are tied securely, ideally through at least 1 grab-loop. use good quality webbing straps. the cheapo lidl variety can rip sometimes.
    roof rack is best option, but not the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I left it a bit late as I was already on the way to Belfast before I read any replies. I schtuck it up on the roof using foam inserts to protect the roof. It was safe as bejaysis, not a bother on it at all. I used the straps bought in the store. They're great. A roof rack is on the shopping list but it's definitely not a necessity for transporting a kayak.

Plenty of varying opinions from you all.

Thank you,

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Whom ever is driving is responsible for the load being carried under law. So if boat slips or bounces down the road at speed hurting anyone, the driver sits in the dock.

Sit on the boat on the roof?? Explain that one to the Garda. Has to be a joke.

Inflatable or foam roof racks are a temp solution but work fine especially for light boats and short journeys. Originally designed for surf boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ektec

I just have insulation foam that was used on pipes..
    Its a foam/sponge type thats 1 inch thick! it can resist -30 degrees, (we need it in ireland)

It works fine, no marks on kayak, nor on the roof...

Advertisement