Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

• 15-07-2012 4:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Right, at the risk of being called a hand-wringing, humourless feminazi, I've noticed a deluge of threads in AH recently slagging off women (particularly Irish women).

I don't know about any other female posters here, but I'm getting fairly sick of the generalisations being thrown about about us on a daily basis. Some recent threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701307
    Hope you knocked that bitch out?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701022
    So this girl has just moved into the house, she's a bit on the heavy side. She seems to have a different fella over every other night of the week. Is she a complete slag and sleeping with all of them? Are the lads just lashing it into her cos she's an easy fat bird? Or is she a member of the "oldest profession in the world" lol?
    Fat bish = easy ride lol

Them fatties are the worst,youd thing being a whale would make them lose any self respect,then they go and do stuff like that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698744

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056692726
    I think the problem with a lot of women (not all now but a lot) in the workplace is that they want equal pay with the men but they dont want to do equal work- hence the misuse of sick pay, playing up their problems, a lot of them bring their personal lives into the workplace making it harder to approach them and get them to do any work. Again, not saying that all women do this but when so many of them slack off I dont think they deserve equal pay, simple.
    Women are like celebrities in this country. Ugly Irish women with hot guys everywhere

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683885
    Don't bother with Irish women mate
    They do nothing but argue and moan and bitch bout every other woman they know
    Oh wait that women in general
    Don't forget how they're obnoxious and have standards way above their own levels of attractiveness. go anywhere outside of Ireland and you'll see a massive improvement.
    You may not believe it .... but most Irish women don't want to earn their own money ....

All these threads started in the last two weeks. Try finding similar threads on AH slagging off Irish men during the same period.....

I've had some majorly traumatic experiences with a couple of Irish men, but I don't feel the need to come on here and slate all Irish men because of it. Seriously, why all the hostility towards us ladies on AH lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

You're a hand-wringing, humourless feminazi OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think the fat girl in the house was tongue in cheek, otherwise I do agree that Irush women get a hard time on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I Love me aunty madge

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You're a hand-wringing, humourless feminazi OP.

I could almost guarantee that was going to be the first reply :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd agree. Sexism is still a topical issue in this country despite many women ascending the corporate ladder. I know in my own business (Legal) that many men still view women in a negative light particularly when they come as a cost to their own career progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Both genders are equally over-represented by assholes in real life, but not so equally on the internet, I think (men win that one).

Just one other way we're better than ye, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think Irish women are great.. the best in the world!! Just put it down to sexual tension..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't think it's a sexist thing. I think it's just you not getting the humour.
    Take the "knock the bitch out" comment. It was said as a joke. Most men wouldn't think about punching someone (not just a woman) because they called their friend ugly.

You're looking too much into it, I think.

Or who knows? Maybe all the men on this site are sexist prícks and we need to be put down. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

I lurk the Lady's Lounge sub-forum many times. What guy doesn't? One thing I noticed - the lack of man-bashing going on in the Lady's Lounge threads.

I have to applaud you ladies for being so, erm, lady-like in your convos!

Maybe the lads should stop the keyboard warrior syndrome and have a guys night in eating Sultana and Chocolate Digestives in front of the TV at 2PM on a Tuesday for once!

Get off your precious boards, and meet a few wimmens.

Learn a thing or two from the wimmens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

women... they're always whinging about something aren't they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

You may not like this answer but people on boards(and the internet in general) are negative, we like to complain and bitch about things. Seeing as 80% of the boards population are males(according to the census anyway) women are going to unfortunately have to take a lot of that negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The problem with ye women (other than your hormones and neurosis, your hygiene is very good though, keep that up :)) is that for some reason you approach those threads and posts as if they were genuine and/or reasonable posts.

Sindri wrote: »
    The problem with ye women (other than your hormones and neurosis, your hygiene is very good though, keep that up) is that for some reason you approach those threads and posts as if they were genuine and/or reasonable posts.

Exactly we are taking the piss. Although foreign women are better looking, when I say that I'm being serious. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't think it's a sexist thing. I think it's just you not getting the humour.
    Take the "knock the bitch out" comment. It was said as a joke
    . Most men wouldn't think about punching someone (not just a woman) because they called their friend ugly.

You're looking too much into it, I think.

Or who knows? Maybe all the men on this site are sexist prícks and we need to be put down. :pac:

I get AH humour. That wasn't a jokey comment and if it was, it wasn't actually funny.

Besides, that was just one comment - I was making a point about all the recent comments putting down women. Surely they're not all jokes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Don't worry OP, folks will get back to bashing on immigrants, people on the dole, and public sector workers soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

TL;DR

Although foreign women are better looking, when I say that I'm being serious.

Not all of them - our best-looking ones are at least the equal of their average ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Well one thing I do think is true...

A lot of women in this country aged between 17-25 have a real princess complex, with the way they view themselves and what they expect from their partners(boyfriends). Don't know if its a maturity thing or when they get that bit older they lower their standards/expectations or just get a reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Well speaking as a man............

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You may not like this answer but people on boards(and the internet in general) are negative, we like to complain and bitch about things. Seeing as 80% of the boards population are males(according to the census anyway) women are going to unfortunately have to take a lot of that negativity.

But men will always group together, its the natural order. Women have only recently been considered as 'equals' in the business world especially. I know myself that I'm very much my father's son and I often have to stop myself from using sexist language while dealing with women in our business.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Not all of them - our best-looking ones are at least the equal of their average ones.

Haha well that's not exactly something to brag about now is it? Although the same goes for us guys too, we're just an ugly people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I could almost guarantee that was going to be the first reply :P

Copy and paste is great.

Haha well that's not exactly something to brag about now is it? Although the same goes for us guys too, we're just an ugly people :D

True. Pasty, potato-faced, gimpy-legged pieces of shite so we are.

Mongrels are always a bit ugly though - at least they're hardy.

Except for the flu.

I get AH humour. That wasn't a jokey comment and if it was, it wasn't actually funny.

Besides, that was just one comment - I was making a point about all the recent comments putting down women. Surely they're not all jokes?

Depends who you ask. :)

Humour is different to everyone. Not to mention you have a few hundred users I think in AH alone. Most of the are men. What do men do? We bitch and moan about women.

Maybe you're just noticing it more. You probably don't hang around groups of men that often. If you did I'm sure you'd notice the comments more often.

But men will always group together, its the natural order. Women have only recently been considered as 'equals' in the business world especially. I know myself that I'm very much my father's son and I often have to stop myself from using sexist language while dealing with women in our business.

The point I'm making is that if there is 80% men on here or in other words, only 20% women, they are:

1. Less likely to be making threads complaining about men than vice versa due to sheer lack of numbers

2. Their thread should hypothetically have 80% male responses, ie. the OP will get abused for giving out about men.

Forums(well off topic-forums) are in general full of dark humour and negative bitching, with a bit of banter thrown in for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

True. Pasty, potato-faced, gimpy-legged pieces of shite so we are.

Mongrels are always a bit ugly though - at least they're hardy.

Except for the flu.

Wow throw us under a feckin bus why don't you!

We're not all bad and even if some are, we've got a damn good Irish personality/humour;)

Although if you have neither, you're just plain fucked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Don't worry OP, folks will get back to bashing on immigrants, people on the dole, and public sector workers soon enough.

You forgot the church

That CERN thing must've worked because I'm here at quarter to 5 on a Sunday morning and on AH there's a thread about anti-woman threads. Where's the "I didn't get laid tonight because all Irish women are X" threads? This is indeed a disturbing universe.

That CERN thing must've worked because I'm here at quarter to 5 on a Sunday morning and on AH there's a thread about anti-woman threads. Where's the "I didn't get laid tonight because all Irish women are X" threads? This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Well, it's a "My friend didn't get laid" thread lash-back.

Closely related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You seem to have a dim view of the Irish?

Well, it's a "My friend didn't get laid" thread lash-back.

Closely related.

Yeah it's close but it's not got enough I dunno, desperation? Usually I check such threads on a Sunday afternoon to cheer myself up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Well one thing I do think is true...

A lot of women in this country aged between 17-25 have a real princess complex, with the way they view themselves and what they expect from their partners(boyfriends). Don't know if its a maturity thing or when they get that bit older they lower their standards/expectations or just get a reality check.

In all fairness, people from both genders can be idiots. It's unfair to paint men of the same age as all being laid back lads, rational and not self-involved who are living in bewilderment of their hysterical female counterparts. I think everyone would agree that the ratio of self-involved females to males is 1:1. I know plenty of guys that treat their girlfriends terribly and vice versa.

Sometimes I do get a bit disheartened when I'm reading things guys post about girls on boards. I accept it's meant as a joke and just a bit of banter most of the time but it gets old quickly and most of the time the poster just comes across as being a bad thanks whore so I don't give it much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Right, at the risk of being called a hand-wringing, humourless feminazi, I've noticed a deluge of threads in AH recently slagging off women (particularly Irish women).

I've had some majorly traumatic experiences with a couple of Irish men, but I don't feel the need to come on here and slate all Irish men because of it. Seriously, why all the hostility towards us ladies on AH lately?

Losers. Utter losers. There is this funny thing on AH that people see hell bent on pushing that Irish women are all ugly and have some type of mental issues. For some bizarre reason foreign women in Ireland, you know, the frumpy, often overweight, badly dressed, tight arsed, greasy skinned women who lack any discernible personality, are regarded as being model like. I worked in a multinationl back home for a bit and I can say hand on heart if you had 100 Irish women and 100 from the continent in the same room there would be no competition. There certainly are alot of attractive foreign women, but having known people from all over Europe, proportionately speaking the only countries in Europe that have a vastly larger proportion of hot women than us are Slovakia, Croatia and Switzerland. Everywhere else has either roughly the same amount or decidedly lower amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Losers. Utter losers. There is this funny thing on AH that people see hell bent on pushing that Irish women are all ugly and have some type of mental issues. For some bizarre reason foreign women in Ireland, you know, the frumpy, often overweight, badly dressed, tight arsed, greasy skinned women who lack any discernible personality

So what's your problem with foreign women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Down with this sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Its like why we hate the English, find some-one to blame for our own shortcomings- nobody even wanted to invade us til we invited them over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Hey I'm not anti-woman - I may get caught up, in the general malaise but I am most certainly not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I don't use the word 'femnazi', because doing so is making a concession to the insecure men who use it. And I make no such concessions.
    I am never going to apologise for being a feminist, because I really don't care about how women standing up for themselves makes you feel threatened or insecure.

Furthermore: one woman looking at you in an unplesant manner on a night out does not make you a victim. Nor does it invalidate feminism.

Ugh, I am so out of f*cks to give at this stage.

(Also if I see any of the users on here who have made misogynistic posts bring up "mens rights" issues at some point in the future, you will probably have to resuscitate me because I will have passed out from laughing. Congrats.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't use the word 'femnazi', because doing so is making a concession to the insecure men who use it. And I make no such concessions.
    I am never going to apologise for being a feminist, because I really don't care about how women standing up for themselves makes you feel threatened or insecure.

Furthermore: one woman looking at you in an unplesant manner on a night out does not make you a victim. Nor does it invalidate feminism.

(Also if I see any of the users on here who have made misogynistic posts bring up "mens rights" issues at some point in the future, you will probably have to resuscitate me because I will have passed out from laughing. Congrats.)

I'll tell you something that may surprise you :), but that post could actually be considered a reason to
    invalidate feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If the same kind of posts were made about a race, the threads would be closed. The anti-women incite hatred.

• Advertisement

Hang on, you're harping on about being a femenist, calling men insecure if they call a woman femnazi (which women can easily be as sexist as men) and then you're moaning about men being misogynistic and talking about men's rights?
    Now granted, femnazi is a bit over-the-top since it has the word nazi in it but it's the same thing as calling a man a sexist pig. Sexists exist on both sides of the gender.

I'm confused, at what point did you feel that every post you get offended about because you feel it's misogynistic means that the user behind it has no right to talk about mens rights?
    Would it surprise you at all if I told you I've heard many women make jokes about "belonging in the kitchen"? I doubt you would. So how do you know (and I've seen some users that I know to be female) every "misogynistic" post is made by a male?
    Or do you also feel I'm advocating the banning of femenisim because this post is somehow misogynstic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Most of the threads would be grand if the OP stated what they were talking about was an isolated incident instead of making generalisations, none of the women I hang around with possess the traits that are supposedly common among Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

If the same kind of posts were made about a race, the threads would be closed. The anti-women incite hatred.

Incitement to hatred? Are you even remotely serious?

Saying that trivialises the real issues that minority communities have faced in the past and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

even the small penis debate morphed into a big fanny conundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP did you report these posts while reading them or did you just get the idea of this thread and go off looking for evidence?

Mods are there to make sure the forum runs smooth and follows the rules. If you don't report stuff, they think everyone is okay with what is being posted.

I don't think she has a complaint and wants them deleted I think it was more of a "WTF is going on with all these threads" lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

I don't know about any other female posters here, but I'm getting fairly sick of the generalisations being thrown about about us on a daily basis. Some recent threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701307
    Hope you knocked that bitch out?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701022
    So this girl has just moved into the house, she's a bit on the heavy side. She seems to have a different fella over every other night of the week. Is she a complete slag and sleeping with all of them? Are the lads just lashing it into her cos she's an easy fat bird? Or is she a member of the "oldest profession in the world" lol?
    Fat bish = easy ride lol

Them fatties are the worst,youd thing being a whale would make them lose any self respect,then they go and do stuff like that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698744

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056692726
    I think the problem with a lot of women (not all now but a lot) in the workplace is that they want equal pay with the men but they dont want to do equal work- hence the misuse of sick pay, playing up their problems, a lot of them bring their personal lives into the workplace making it harder to approach them and get them to do any work. Again, not saying that all women do this but when so many of them slack off I dont think they deserve equal pay, simple.
    Women are like celebrities in this country. Ugly Irish women with hot guys everywhere

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683885
    Don't bother with Irish women mate
    They do nothing but argue and moan and bitch bout every other woman they know
    Oh wait that women in general
    Don't forget how they're obnoxious and have standards way above their own levels of attractiveness. go anywhere outside of Ireland and you'll see a massive improvement.
    You may not believe it .... but most Irish women don't want to earn their own money ....

All these threads started in the last two weeks. Try finding similar threads on AH slagging off Irish men during the same period.....

On your monthlies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pa Dee wrote: »
    On your monthlies?

Yeah let's rubbish her opinion due to biological function. Charming :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Exactly we are taking the piss. Although foreign women are better looking, when I say that I'm being serious. Apologies.

Some are.

Other look like this:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2lsk1gw.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Women - a great bunch of lads :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement