Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

yeah but common sense .....the demographics of Boards are likely dominated by 15-25 year olds with decent intellects and probably 0.000000000001% of them male or female would ever "knock any b1tch out" or disrespect women/men in any way, other than sarcastically.

You don't know that. And you don't know who uses what board. I could be passing by the Punk forum and see something that makes me feel offended and report it. But in AH it wouldn't bother me. It just depends on the person. Age hasn't got a thing to do wth iti

Alright look joking aside: as a male that falls close the 25 I can assure you that the best way to deal with any woman is with a punch to the face.

Then fleeing when you realize you can't throw a punch

Millicent have you just though about reporting them and/or PMing a mod and discussing it? Half their job relies on us. If we just say "that's offensive" it's a bit weak. If we say "it's offensive to me because of X" they get a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Onixx wrote: »
    368100 wrote: »
    How is it that when women give out about men it's the man's fault. But when men give out about women it still the mans fault and the man is labelled as a woman hater?
    There is some of that, I'd grant you, and it's not right. If the woman is in the wrong, she's in the wrong.

Do you *actually* believe/agree with the nutty post above that you gave a thumbs up to, by the way?

I agree with one part...the part that from what I see in day to day life that women of non Irish nationalities seem to have more respect for their partners than Irish women do. That being said those women also seem to have more respect from their partners than I see Irish women get. This is all in direct comparison to my friends who are in exclusive "irish" So the question is.. Chicken or the egg...do you need to give respect first to get respect...or do you give respect and exoect the same by return......should respect not be a given in a relationship.

Edit...sorry no... Of course I don't agree with "men are more superior than women" either. Nobody is more superior than the next in this life....though in my opinion the poster did make a point which I can relate to in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Because I've been reading AH the past few weeks and that is what I see, even in that short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Wha'?

I thanked that guys post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

368100 wrote: »
    How is it that when women give out about men it's the man's fault. But when men give out about women it still the mans fault and the man is labelled as a woman hater?
    Because usually women do it with a bit of laughter.
    I thought the point of this thread was that it didn't matter if a post was (intended to be) funny, and that things which could be deemed offensive by some should not be posted for fear of causing offence*?

*or boredom. The boredom argument, I could definitely get behind.
    But it's not just the men v. women threads which can be boring and repetitive.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    I thought the point of this thread was that it didn't matter if a post was (intended to be) funny, and that things which could be deemed offensive by some should not be posted for fear of causing offence*?

*or boredom. The boredom argument, I could definitely get behind.
    But it's not just the men v. women threads which can be boring and repetitive.

No the point of this was the OP was wondering what the deal was with so many in such a short while

Wha'?
    They were probably messing. I assume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Because I've been reading AH the past few weeks and that is what I see, even in that short space of time.

Did the content of this forum surprise you then?

I mean, what were you expecting it to be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I do think this problem has gotten worse on AH the last few months though, which is probably which caused dark crystal to start this thread. I've been reading this forum for the last three years and I really can't remember anti-women threads popping up as often as they have in the last six months or so.

They were probably messing. I assume.

I was messing about that thumbs up for the record

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Annie the Canny

While it is extremely interesting to read this thread, I have to point out few things: there are nice women here in Ireland, I somewhat like to think they don't come out bragging all over. To defend Irish women, foreign women like to think a little more of them selves than they actually are and that is quite annoying in many ways, seriously! In the other hand - I disagree that it is easier to chat up a girl from abroad, unless they really are dumb in terms of the language. It took months to convince me! Going back to the original source of this thread, I didn't find anything funny nor insulting about the chick in the nightclub going over to this certain guy. It just 'may' have been comic there and then, especially taking into account the level of the alcohol taken in that night. Anyhoo, I wouldn't really feel offended of the fact that guys are bitching about women - it isn't a rocket science, the rest of the world does the same more or less as much as women bitch about men. PS: I Love you, please, don't shoot me... :p

whiplashed wrote: »
    Did the content of this forum surprise you then?

I mean, what were you expecting it to be like?
    Not full of such venom. More good-natured. A lighthearted forum (which is too in fairness).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

More good-natured. A lighthearted forum (which is too in fairness).

Hang on, but the week you signed up you posted:
    I was warned there was a tiny few on this board with a really bewildering attitude towards women... didn't believe it would be this bad. :-/

Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

[QUOTE=Brutal Deluxe;79745787
    Alright look joking aside: as a male that falls close the 25 I can assure you that the best way to deal with any woman is with a punch to the face.

Then fleeing when you realize you can't throw a punch[/QUOTE]

This is hate speech.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Do you *actually* believe/agree with the nutty post above that you gave a thumbs up to, by the way? Basically claiming women are inferior to men and should serve them like kings, and all Irish men are really superior? :confused:

It appears you have problems with reading comprehension. I said NOTHING of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I do think this problem has gotten worse on AH the last few months though, which is probably which caused dark crystal to start this thread. I've been reading this forum for the last three years and I really can't remember anti-women threads popping up as often as they have in the last six months or so.

But before, it was all fap this / fap that. Can't really comment on lad culture, left it behind a long time ago yet it never really did leave me but I trust these things aren't said in reality.. this is just a dosshouse. Beats the tosshouse it was, in teh halycon days of fap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    It appears you have problems with reading comprehension. I said NOTHING of the sort.

I've just read your entire post history. It didn't take long & it wasn't pleasant reading. You seem to enjoy trying to make yourself feel better by putting people down. It's like you're over compensating for something in life that you are missing, which is a little sad in fairness.

whiplashed wrote: »
    Hang on, but the week you signed up you posted:

Which is it?
    Yeah I didn't believe how frequent such stuff would be.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    But before, it was all fap this / fap that. Can't really comment on lad culture, left it behind a long time ago yet it never really did leave me but I trust these things aren't said in reality.. this is just a dosshouse. Beats the tosshouse it was, in teh halycon days of fap

AH was always more of a Drosshouse :pac:

I've just read your entire post history. It didn't take long & it wasn't pleasant reading. You seem to enjoy trying to make yourself feel better by putting people down. It's like you're over compensating for something in life that you are missing, which is a little sad in fairness.

I've spent time in Russia, Germany and Ireland. I was just giving my honest perspective on gender relations in Ireland.

• Advertisement

This is hate speech.
    Nah it's definitely just a joke.

It is too much, as of late n I'll try and do my bit. If the girls are genuinely offended by it then it's not so funny when it becomes a campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've spent time in Russia, Germany and Ireland. I was just giving my honest perspective on gender relations in Ireland.

Your perspective may be honest, but I find your viewpoints extremely warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This is hate speech.

Ok. First off, I don't think we even have a definition of hate speech in Ireland (although we do have blasphemous speech. Way to ****ing go Ireland! :Sarcasm:)

Unless I'm mistaken he's only releasing tension, because he's been entirely pro-women throughout this thread.

BrutalDeluxe: I reserve the right to think you're a gombeen if it turns out I've missed things or you put your foot in it. But I don't think you meant that "punch" joke in a mean way. So you're still cool with me. ~hugs~

Still, not everyone is going to take the last few pages of this discussion in the flow I'm seeing. So chill on the punching people thing, even if it is meant in jest. ;)
    Millicent wrote: »
    If it's not something you've experienced based on your gender/race/whatever, it's easy to miss. I, for example, would never claim to know the racism a person of a different race or ethnicity faces in subtle, grating, niggling comments on the internet. At the same time, I'd never tell them that it was just banter, that it was a few bad eggs giving everyone else a bad name or that they were reading too much into those posts.

That's what I think is interesting. For a lot of people it is just banter. They really don't mean anything bad by their jokes. Except they get called up on it and because you have a few defensive people, and a few ashamed people, and a few fcuking morons trotting out hateful thoughts it gets lost in the discussion that quite a lot of people really don't know any better.

If someone calls you out on something you have to try and appraise why you're being called out. You might have entirely meant what you said as a joke, and the person calling you out might be really offended by what you said. That doesn't mean you two have irreconcilable differences. It just means you both didn't understand what each other was saying.

Guys, if there's one thing I can implore on you is that if a woman says that she's offended, in a sexist way by something you said it really doesn't mean you're sexist yourself. What you said might have been offensive, it might not have been. Really you have to evaluate it from the other person's position. Hope that the other person can reevaluate what you're saying to her. Hope that you can find a middle ground of acceptance and tolerance where she understands that you were joking and you are understanding about why she might be offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Getting back to the OP, AH isn't as bad as a couple of years ago.

As for the younger 19-25 demographic being stuck up etc. well it's a generalisation, same as all men are bastards, both lazy generalisation that serve no purpose, other than rile both the opposite sex.

. I think you are more likely to meet stuck up women in that age group, same as young male baxtards. That's the age group they tend to think this stuff before growing up!

If you meet examples of either after 25, run a mile!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

K-9 wrote: »

I'm guessing the apex of the boom years was when the whole "Foreign wimminz be more attractive/intelligent/whatever" thing was at its height, with there being a greater number of foreign nationals living here at that time?

K-9 wrote: »

As for the younger 19-25 demographic being stuck up etc. well it's a generalisation, same as all men are bastards, both lazy generalisation that serve no purpose, other than rile both the opposite sex.

. I think you are more likely to meet stuck up women in that age group, same as young male baxtards. That's the age group they tend to think this stuff before growing up!

If you meet examples of either after 25, run a mile!

My observations are of Irish women in my age group (the 25-35 year bracket). If the 25 and below group are actually worse, well done ladies for achieving the seemingly impossible.

I'm guessing the apex of the boom years was when the whole "Foreign wimminz be more attractive/intelligent/whatever" thing was at its height, with there being a greater number of foreign nationals living here at that time?

Foreign women have outclassed Irish women for decades, if not centuries. It's only been in public knowledge in this country since the arrivals of foreign nationals/widely available international travel/the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

johnjoe, leave the same way you came in.

Don't post in this thread again.

Foreign women have outclassed Irish women for decades, if not centuries. It's only been in public knowledge in this country since the arrivals of foreign nationals/widely available international travel/the internet.

Did you miss this post or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Bitter much?

hehe that sounds like Alan Partridge

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

ah jonhjoe, what will we do with you?

Lads by responding you're just fueling him. Take it from a veteran troll.

Er folks, that post about me punching a woman in the face was a joke :O

That's why I put the little "and then fleeing when you realize you can't throw a punch" in tiny letters. That was meant to be the whole joke.

I didn't mean anything bad by it at all. I was just trying to make a joke and showing some people you can make a joke out of it if you make it clear. The "fleeing when you realize you can't throw a punch" was meant to be taken as "he threw a punch and he hits like a little kid and runs because he knows the woman would knock him out".

And sorry for the delay, even sexist pigs spouting hate speech need to make food sometimes :P

And sorry for the delay, even sexist pigs spouting hate speech need to make food sometimes :P

Make me a sammich and we'll forget all about it sweetcheeks ;)

LH Pathe wrote: »

I never minded the fap stuff (I've read 4chan quite a bit so here is tame in comparison for that stuff :p hilariously I've never seen as many anti-women threads there as here, although I'm sure I'm just missing them). I do think lad culture has gotten a lot more stronger socially in the past year or so. Maybe I just didn't notice it as I wasn't as tuned into this stuff, but imo sexist jokes/casual sexism seem to be on the rise amongst young men and women in this country at the minute. The idea of "it's only a bit of banter" seems to be propagating this slightly. It's like the excuse for saying anything.

• Advertisement

What time is it?

you guys are just looking for another avenue to communicate. my sentiments are heartfelt

Sauve wrote: »
    Make me a sammich and we'll forget all about it sweetcheeks ;)
    Hmm, if I get a sex change would that mean I can say you're being sexist against women? :D

Hmm, if I get a sex change would that mean I can say you're being sexist against women? :D

Yeah sure. Bit drastic just to make a point though? :p

Flirting. On an AH thread!! Well, I never.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah sure. Bit drastic just to make a point though? :p
    Typical woman, if it's too hard to do, don't do it.

Wait till I get my sex change, I'll show you all how to be a woman :D

This isn't flirting. Trust me, if it was I'd have found her and killed her by now (I hated the proper flirting in AH).

:pac:

Since when was 'make me a sammich' considered flirting? :confused:

Maybe, I suppose Irish lads just emigrated in the late 80's/early 90's, got their foreign fix that way ;), most seemed to marry Irish girls though, or of the diaspora! Wait 10 years and you'll probably see the same.

Immigration was a new thing for us.
    My observations are of Irish women in my age group (the 25-35 year bracket). If the 25 and below group are actually worse, well done ladies for achieving the seemingly impossible.

Well I did say, steer clear!

Btw, I'm 37 with very much a Oooooh Matron Sense of humour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Since when was 'make me a sammich' considered flirting? :confused:
    Ask any rural man :p

/sexism.

I'm embarrassed for saying it was now, sorry :o

/sexism.

Jeez I know! I'm still in tears of her and her sexist ways! Telling me a MAN to make a sammich!

I don't think she understands men, men are incapable of such a complicated task. :(

No harm done. It's understandable since it's a male/female bit of banter. But I think I'd honestly rather shoot myself than start flirting on AH since I hate it so much :(

/sexism.

I'm embarrassed for saying it was now, sorry :o

Not a bother, don't worry bout it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think I'll make a sammich.

Flirting always makes me hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What time is it?

It's hammer time, ban hammer time.

Always wanted to do that :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Btw when Millicent posts, just read and take note. Not always right but usually near the money.

A female Seamus.

Hi Milli!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement