Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's hammer time, ban hammer time.

Always wanted to do that :p

I'm going to ask you once before I sue Boards.ie the next time you do it: please stop saying ban when I'm around! You already give me a heart attack via PM and now in this thread. I'm too young to get a heart replaced and I don't want to sue you for life threatening injuries. :D
    K-9 wrote: »
    Btw when Millicent posts, just read and take note. Not always right but usually near the money.

A female Seamus.

Hi Milli!

Actually a lot of the women in this topic and the other one were pretty sound on and calm. A bit rude at times perhaps but considering they're talking to to people who are basically saying women are inferior or Irish women are inferior speaks a lot about the women here.
    And oddly I think this is one topic on the internet where I didn'tget annoyed and just left it. I was pretty happy during the whole thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Btw when Millicent posts, just read and take note. Not always right but usually near the money.

A female Seamus.

Hi Milli!

Hi, K9. :D "Not always"? You bastard men are all the same. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Actually a lot of the women in this topic and the other one were pretty sound on and calm. A bit rude at times perhaps but considering they're talking to to people who are basically saying women are inferior or Irish women are inferior speaks a lot about the women here.
    And oddly I think this is one topic on the internet where I didn'tget annoyed and just left it. I was pretty happy during the whole thing :D

Can't bloody live with ye and can't bloody live without ye.. A complimentary post somehow turned to derogatory.

I blame the Irish Mammy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Can't bloody live with ye and can't bloody live without ye.. A complimentary post somehow turned to derogatory.

I blame the Irish Mammy.

Alright I'm going to the "I'm a sexist" line now. Because I feel like belong there. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Millicent wrote: »
    Hi, K9. :D "Not always"? You bastard men are all the same. :pac:

Indeed, if it was a battle between the Boards God Seamus and Millicent, I'd be befuddled.
    Now, I am easily confused, but befuddled? Now that is a rare honour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I went to make a sammich and not even the toaster fairies flirted with me. :(

Toaster fairies are big assholes: far bigger than sexist trolls. Toaster faries make you believe there's no "Pop-up toast" button then you turn it off at the wall to make the toast ocme out then when you go to put toast on again you're confused about why it won't stay down.

That's fcuking toaster fairies for you!

The sexist toaster fairies call you an ugly heifer for eating toast. But I think they have an eating disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Isnt it unfortunate when men have to resort to slagging and verbal abuse to make themselves feel big. To this the women reply yes and the men reply yes, but for very different reasons. No side can be right or wrong in this (suprisingly active) thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

generally where major offense is caused to the ladies, there will be plenty of wimminz hitting the report button and it'll be dealt with

with jokey/banter/potentially sexist stuff it is an impossible task as the line between humour/banter and offense is different for everybody depending on a whole range of factors from their own personal life experiences

i say that anything that is reported a lot be investigated and dealt with, otherwise i'm afraid the only solution is to let the slightly risque stuff go (and this applies to men, women, country people, christians, foreigners, whatever)

however if the forum decides to transform itself so that it doesn't offend this group or that group and has a draconian crackdown on the line-pushing humour then so be it, it can do that and it can cater for a new demographic - i'm sure it will gain a lot of support that way (many of the people who posted in this thread will be pleased) but it will also lose a lot of support

i am not too bothered either way, the discussion is not as important as some are making it out to be

there are morons in the world and there are people who like to have a laugh, the difference between them is entirely dependent on your subjective circumstances thus the push for some kind of policing of opinions is futile and in my view against the essense of what a discussion forum should be about

in short, let things go (unless it really is bad), chill out, have a laugh, don't take things so personally from faceless net users, try to make a difference in real life if you must, this isn't that important and as I said, anything that is genuinely abusive and distasteful is almost always dealt with - the rest of the stuff is just a matter of personal taste and simply cannot be legislated for so give it a rest and find a real cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    Foreign women have outclassed Irish women for decades, if not centuries. It's only been in public knowledge in this country since the arrivals of foreign nationals/widely available international travel/the internet.

Lulz at anyone who thanked this post, because:
    hehe that sounds like Alan Partridge

Agreed! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ahem, indeed. :o

But yes, this has been an oddly fun thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    Foreign women have outclassed Irish women for decades, if not centuries.

Interesting comment.

Having dated women from lots of different countries, I still think a sound Irish girl is a thing to be cherished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Brokentime wrote: »
    Interesting comment.

Having dated women from lots of different countries, I still think a sound Irish girl is a thing to be cherished.

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! :D

hahahahhahaa, oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 erin1977

Men complain about women, where ever they are from.. And it seems that the ones that complain the most, get the less kitty.. lol.. Where I am from you hear the guys bitching about how all the good looking girls only date rich, older men.. lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

What a jerk :mad:

"Irish girls are pretty things to be cherished" There ya go babes. ;) All fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

MOD

The speculation of who posters were or are end here.

If you have a problem with a post or poster, report it.

Fair warning.
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    Lulz, yeah right, that wasn't done in jest, you're claiming that now seeing as people pointed how dumb it was.

And even if it was done in jest, it still suggests a fixation on that erstwhile poster. ;););););););)

You report my post, a mod intervenes, you thank his post yet carry on regardless :rolleyes:

IMO you are the worst sort of poster that there is but thankfully you only seem to lurk around AH baiting any poster with a different opinion then you into pointless arguments.

Good luck with that!

LordSmeg wrote: »
    "Irish girls are pretty things to be cherished"

Only the sound ones, though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Brokentime wrote: »
    Only the sound ones, though :p

Damn I've made a meal of this.

"Sound Irish girls are pretty things to be cherished and not sound ones are ugly things nobody wants or needs".

I think that sets things back in order nicely. *lights pipe and runs*

Raekwon wrote: »
    You report my post, a mod intervenes, you thank his post yet carry on regardless :rolleyes:

IMO you are the worst sort of poster that there is but thankfully you only seem to lurk around AH baiting any poster with a different opinion then you into pointless arguments.

Good luck with that!

I haven't reported any of your posts. :confused: God, you're paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

I think that in general, men are starting to get a bit sick of the equality-for-the-sake-of-equality-but-only-if-it-suits-us agenda being pushed by women and the media these days.

We've all these wonderful things coming in like forcing political parties to have a certain amount of women OR FINING THEM FOR NOT DOING SO. How f*cking mad is that? The calibre of the woman doesn't matter either, ask Mary Mitchell-O'Connor who has been asking every woman she has encountered if they'd be interested in running, or womenforelection.ie who have been ringing every woman registered to a political party to see if they'd run.

We've judges in Europe telling companies that if they don't put more women on the board, regardless of their quality, that they'll fine them too. We've this cry for equal pay, from people who took career breaks to raise children and aren't getting the same pay as men in the same job who were there longer.

Men are standing by and witnessing while not getting one single iota of equality for themselves. Have men's rights to their children increased in the last few years? Nope. Is domestic abuse towards men taken seriously yet? Nope it sure is not. Instead of getting some perceived form of equality for men, we're now living in a society where men are villains. They're being seen as "keeping women down", the abusers, the rapists etc. A guy couldn't sit in a park now where children are playing nearby without being seen as some sort of questionable weirdo. Yet, if a guy cries victim or tries to stand up for men's rights now, they're laughed at and have eyes rolled at them.

Etc etc etc. It goes on and on and most guys I know are getting really sick of it. So it's no surprise to see them venting their frustration towards those perpetrating most of it - women - on predominantly male communities online.

However, when I say perpetrating it, I mean a small minority of women. A tiny minority, but the problem is they're very vocal and are dragging the whole lot down with themselves. I don't know any women who are feminists and almost every woman I know, Irish or not, is happy to just get on with things, live their own lives etc etc. It's just a small amount of women who are driving change which is coming at a cost to men, who are rightly getting frustrated by it.

Things are only going to get worse too and I think because of this minority, we'll eventually head back to a time where men actually did oppress women, and that's something the majority of us, male or female, do not want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

I think that in general, men are starting to get a bit sick of the equality-for-the-sake-of-equality-but-only-if-it-suits-us agenda being pushed by women and the media these days.

We've all these wonderful things coming in like forcing political parties to have a certain amount of women OR FINING THEM FOR NOT DOING SO. How f*cking mad is that? The calibre of the woman doesn't matter either, ask Mary Mitchell-O'Connor who has been asking every woman she has encountered if they'd be interested in running, or womenforelection.ie who have been ringing every woman registered to a political party to see if they'd run.

We've judges in Europe telling companies that if they don't put more women on the board, regardless of their quality, that they'll fine them too. We've this cry for equal pay, from people who took career breaks to raise children and aren't getting the same pay as men in the same job who were there longer.

Men are standing by and witnessing while not getting one single iota of equality for themselves. Have men's rights to their children increased in the last few years? Nope. Is domestic abuse towards men taken seriously yet? Nope it sure is not. Instead of getting some perceived form of equality for men, we're now living in a society where men are villains. They're being seen as "keeping women down", the abusers, the rapists etc. A guy couldn't sit in a park now where children are playing nearby without being seen as some sort of questionable weirdo. Yet, if a guy cries victim or tries to stand up for men's rights now, they're laughed at and have eyes rolled at them.

Etc etc etc. It goes on and on and most guys I know are getting really sick of it. So it's no surprise to see them venting their frustration towards those perpetrating most of it - women - on predominantly male communities online.

However, when I say perpetrating it, I mean a small minority of women. A tiny minority, but the problem is they're very vocal and are dragging the whole lot down with themselves. I don't know any women who are feminists and almost every woman I know, Irish or not, is happy to just get on with things, live their own lives etc etc. It's just a small amount of women who are driving change which is coming at a cost to men, who are rightly getting frustrated by it.

Things are only going to get worse too and I think because of this minority, we'll eventually head back to a time where men actually did oppress women, and that's something the majority of us, male or female, do not want.

In fairness none of this is because of politics, you're not seeing anti-female 'revenge' happening on boards because of gender quotas. Different people have different senses of humour and different values, that's all that's happening here.

How would we go back to male oppression? As long as we live in a democracy I can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

In fairness none of this is because of politics, you're not seeing anti-female 'revenge' happening on boards because of gender quotas. Different people have different senses of humour and different values, that's all that's happening here.

How would we go back to male oppression? As long as we live in a democracy I can't see that happening.
    We were living in a democracy before women were allowed to vote also, you do realise that yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We were living in a democracy before women were allowed to vote also, you do realise that yes?

Women have a voice now and any kind of open discrimination against anyone is against the law. I don't see how we could go back to the way things used to be or who would want to anyway. I get what you are saying about some women and I think you'll find a lot of women agree with you but taking it out on all of us is plain nuts. We are not the enemy. Anything we have done to advance our cause we did through hard work, no one handed us rights, we had to fight for them.

Yes there are lot of issues facing men but until men actually come together and start working towards changing things they will stay the same. It seems men are happy to talk on line or down the pub about stuff but getting them to take action seems to be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

Yes, but voting isn't a zero sum game, I don't believe men as a group were losing out by recognising women's interests. For women to vote in such a way as to make themselves second class citizens is a different kettle of fish. I'm against quotas myself but I think you're being silly about backsliding into male domination, I don't think there's any appetite for that even amongst men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Which women exactly brought these policies in? What gender were the judges who made the rulings?
    In Finland, for example, there was a warning from the European gender equality commission to stop imposing restrictions on women operating heavy machinery. Sound like women are looking for an easier ride there?

Unfortunately, women are the only gender biologically wired to have children - they can't help having wombs. If men had them instead, they would have the same rights. And rightly so. Having a family doesn't impede a man's salary, so why should it impede a woman's?

I'm not a big fan of affirmative action myself, but if it equals up some of the more male dominated industries and professions, where's the harm? Personally, I'd prefer to see women get jobs on merit, but there still exists an 'old boy network' in many places, so I can see where this policy might help some women enter into a profession they may have previously been excluded from before.

Again, these policies have been brought in by men, not women. In Ireland, male judges outnumber female judges by almost 4 to 1. Blaming women for outdated family law brought in by male politicians is bizarre.

Can you point out any recent cases where a man's reported domestic abuse case has been not taken seriously? Do you have any proof that the police or the courts take female to male violence any less seriously than male to female violence?

I don't see innocent men as villians any more than I see innocent women as villians. Slight paranoia there, methinks.

So women perpetrate all this evil on men do they? Really??

What changes are coming at a cost to men exactly?

Indeed we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You may not like this answer but people on boards(and the internet in general) are negative, we like to complain and bitch about things. Seeing as 80% of the boards population are males(according to the census anyway) women are going to unfortunately have to take a lot of that negativity.

It's 69% male according to the most recent census, and bear in mind that all attempts to discover the true ratio will be skewed because participation in the census is entirely optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yes there are lot of issues facing men but until men actually come together and start working towards changing things they will stay the same. It seems men are happy to talk on line or down the pub about stuff but getting them to take action seems to be the problem.

probably due to fear.

VEN wrote: »
    probably due to fear.

Fear of what? :confused:

We could have Sharia Law one day.

• Advertisement

Fear of what? :confused:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Piste wrote: »
    It's not something we should have to put up with either.

This is After Hours, yes it is and you're more than welcome to respond in kind. I say this as a woman, you should check in your sensitivities before you post here and just enjoy the banter. If someone said a lot of these things to me in a bar or at work I'd have a problem with that, but here is different. A lot of things are said to be edgy or provoke reaction, if you can't say thing inhibited on AH where can you say it?
    I just generally don't like the idea of boundaries of acceptance being drawn up in a place like this, not liking something is fine but this brigade of people who want censorship against it unsettles me a bit about society in general.

This is After Hours, yes it is and you're more than welcome to respond in kind. I say this as a woman, you should check in your sensitivities before you post here and just enjoy the banter. If someone said a lot of these things to me in a bar or at work I'd have a problem with that, but here is different. A lot of things are said to be edgy or provoke reaction, if you can't say thing inhibited on AH where can you say it?
    I just generally don't like the idea of boundaries of acceptance being drawn up in a place like this, not liking something is fine but this brigade of people who want censorship against it unsettles me a bit about society in general.

Well done, love. Have your say :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

If someone said a lot of these things to me in a bar or at work I'd have a problem with that, but here is different. A lot of things are said to be edgy or provoke reaction, if you can't say thing inhibited on AH where can you say it?

I suppose some things just shouldn't be said at all... ;)

Also, I tend to think that if you wouldn't say it to somebody's face you have no business posting it online either... But that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Perhaps if like women, men had a tax-payer funded lobby group to drive this then it would happen.

newport2 wrote: »
    Perhaps if like women, men had a tax-payer funded lobby group to drive this then it would happen.

Do you think women's groups just happened? Most of them started around a kitchen table with a few like minded people, they took years to get to where they are. You have to work for it and lobby support and not expect everything to happen overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Do you think women's groups just happened? Most of them started around a kitchen table with a few like minded people, they took years to get to where they are. You have to work for it and lobby support and not expect everything to happen overnight.

No, but it was a minority of women who did this. So for a large number, including most young girls today, it did "just happen". They have that minority to be grateful for. (as do I in terms of rights I have)

In the case of men's rights today, we could provide a group, similar to the NWC to perhaps address some of the issues that you acknowledged exist. Or we can wait a few decades for groups, protests etc and then address them. I think the former is the better option.

newport2 wrote: »
    No, but it was a minority of women who did this. So for a large number, including most young girls today, it did "just happen". They have that minority to be grateful for. (as do I in terms of rights I have)

In the case of men's rights today, we could provide a group, similar to the NWC to perhaps address some of the issues that you acknowledged exist. Or we can wait a few decades for groups, protests etc and then address them. I think the former is the better option.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. We all have to start helping each other out. As a woman, men's right affect me, I have brothers, a son, a husband etc so of course I want them to be treated fairly just as they want the same for me and other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Women are basically not really welcome in AH. If you try to wade in you get a pat on the head and an "awww bless" type response. If you get deep into a debate you get a "monthly" type dismissive response.

It's so unbelievably patronising that most women who post on boards won't even bother posting in AH. And that is AH's loss.

I've seen many women knock anti-male threads on the head in parenting and TLL. But on AH it's jumped on and run away with.

I know girls who are total b!tches, who treat men like crap. And I know many girls who have been treated abysmally by men. So yeah, some Irish women are total cows. And some Irish men are scum of the highest order. You've only to look in PI to see that.

But being derogatory about women as a gender is not really fair. Nor is it funny.

We can all accept that some racist jokes, some dead baby jokes, some peadophile jokes and some jokes about disability are just hilarious. They are. But they're not right.

Men on here who lament how horrible Irish women are to them and then speak about Irish women like they are dirt on their shoe.....can they not see the irony?

If it's ok for us to generalise about a certain sex in a negative light on AH, then AH should be a free for all. We can censor "yore ma" but not "All Irish women are b!tches". C'mon like!? Reality check.

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    We can all accept that some racist jokes, some dead baby jokes, some peadophile jokes and some jokes about disability are just hilarious. They are.

Goddamn, I love this woman :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I think it humorous that certain people who have been here mere weeks are trying to change AH. Im not going to walk into your house and tell you to change the carpets.

I've been here years, and this has happened before (women speaking out about severe sexism in AH) and changes were implemented.

It's sliding back that way again, needs to be looked at again.

I've been here years, and this has happened before (women speaking out about severe sexism in AH) and changes were implemented.

It's sliding back that way again, needs to be looked at again.

In fairness to Keith, he admitted he made a mistake and was responding to another issue.

But yes, the sheer amount of negativity being shown towards women in AH lately should be questioned, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

In fairness to Keith, he admitted he made a mistake and was responding to another issue.

But yes, the sheer amount of negativity being shown towards women in AH lately should be questioned, imo.

Just caught up with that now. Got ya now Keith! Long thread.

This is After Hours, yes it is and you're more than welcome to respond in kind. I say this as a woman, you should check in your sensitivities before you post here and just enjoy the banter. If someone said a lot of these things to me in a bar or at work I'd have a problem with that, but here is different.

Why would you have a problem with banter in a bar or in the workplace and not here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

You may not like this answer but people on boards(and the internet in general) are negative, we like to complain and bitch about things. Seeing as 80% of the boards population are males(according to the census anyway) women are going to unfortunately have to take a lot of that negativity.

They have to take a lot of that negativity? Bullsh!t. If other blokes were any way mature and had their heads screwed on, they wouldn't abnegate responsibility for their own unhappiness by lazily projecting their frustrations on to the female population by demeaning them.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's 69% male according to the most recent census, and bear in mind that all attempts to discover the true ratio will be skewed because participation in the census is entirely optional.

That's quite interesting. We'll do our own AH survey to see what the split is here. Could be interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Young Irish men with problems with Irish women should bring it up with the Irish woman they know best; their mothers-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

That's quite interesting. We'll do our own AH survey to see what the split is here. Could be interesting reading.

A lot of female poster don't even venture into AH though because of the negative attitude and references towards them. Chicken/Egg scenario. If you do a poll and it turns out AH comprises of 95% men so it's ok to put women down for a laugh, then women will continue to avoid AH.
    Not because they don't want to post but because they are not made welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I suspect some of the men in after hours don't know any women in real life (aside from ones they are related to) and they are posting nasty sweeping generalisations about women on boards to pretend that they do actually know some women - it's like the way young men think they know all about sex from watching porn but in reality they are so, so wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ash23 wrote: »
    Women are basically not really welcome in AH. If you try to wade in you get a pat on the head and an "awww bless" type response. If you get deep into a debate you get a "monthly" type dismissive response.

You've a few examples of this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement