Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Millicent wrote: »
    I'm almost sure I blinded someone with my legs. The white glow from them really brightens up a cold evening. Great way to warm a room when people are sitting around for a chat (provided they all wear sunglasses, of course).

Until you get that lovely heat rash pink itchy leg thing that only cailíns get. Now THAT'S sexay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Yes, you're very oppressed because you can't say ****ty things about women. You're aware that quote is about the complicity of ordinary bystanders who did nothing in the Nazi era. But carry on comparing asking lads to tone down the sexism to being a victim of the Holocaust. Jesus wept.

In fairness. I reported it the second I saw it. No matter how eruditely he put it's basically saying women/feminists are nazis. That might even be "banter" HAHAHAHAHA! in saying there are feminazis. And I agree there are feminists who are as evil as nazis. But this guy really doesn't undertand where the lines are drawn. So yeah, I reported it before even reading on to see if anyone else called him up. Then I saw your post and decided that if other people had a problem with it in public I'd call him up on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm going to look back through the thread now but in case I miss something has the point been made that we should also ban threads making fun of single mothers, people on the dole and gingers?

I think I'll start a thread saying I dont think its fair that so many threads get started slating gingers

sound ridiculous?

Now look at this thread

I actually will think I'll start a thread about not slagging gingers

Look ya ginger bastard (sorry :pac:), I'll slag you all I want.

Seriously mate, there was a bunch of stuff and back and forward arguments.

It's pretty much come down to this:
    we are fine with banter.
    We're not fine with statements like "all women are bitches" or "all men are bastards".

That's basically the sum up. Add in a plenty amount of smart arses and you got your last 30 odd pages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I'm going to look back through the thread now but in case I miss something has the point been made that we should also ban threads making fun of single mothers, people on the dole and gingers?

I think I'll start a thread saying I dont think its fair that so many threads get started slating gingers

sound ridiculous?

Now look at this thread

I actually will think I'll start a thread about not slagging gingers

Jesus, dude, put down the shovel, stop digging, and go read the thread before offering any more opinions. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

"It's everyone else's problem that I don't have the cop on to realise now is not the time for a joke like that. The women should get over themselves."

I said "people" but in your haste to misquote me to basque in internet love you said "women"

I think its clear who the real sexist is here you need to be careful of those Freudulant slips

• Advertisement

If anything comes out of this thread it should be that boards needs a cliff notes feature :D

Ficheall wrote: »
    Netiquette may well dictate such in-depth research, but this thread devolved into nothing but continuous reiteration from all three* sides after at most five pages. I've only read about forty of the pages though, so it's possible that I missed something vital somewhere.

*approximately?

Can you expand on this? What reiteration are you describing? And who are the three sides?

And asking someone to read the thread before they comment is not asking them to do "in-depth research". It's asking them to act like a decent human being would in the real world and not just wade into a conversation based on what they think they heard. It's rude and annoying both IRL and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

donfers wrote: »
    just decide what you want the forum to be

the common error here is to focus on the complaints, what usually happens is you'll be strict on the women gags for a few months and then ease up

i predict whatever "solution" arrived at will please nobody and be a kind of halfway house thing where then general tone of irreverence maintained here except when it comes to threads about women which will be policed in a strongarm fashion out of kilter with the rest of the forum - this is inconsistent and panders to the complainants rather than solving the core issue

now while the complainants may well have a point, the solution should not be enforced just to please them, any solution should take into account what you want for the forum as a whole

the focus needs to be on what is acceptable in this forum and why people like to come here, the focus should not solely be on what is acceptable to women in this forum and why women like to come here (or those who are offended by women-related generalisations)

having said all that i do think the complainants have a point here but then again so would christians if they complained here or sinn fein supporters or immigrants or the overweight or whoever it may be

so as i said i cannot forsee any consistent solution unless you radically change the forum and what it's all about - i don't think that will happen so it will be, as i said, irreverent on the whole, except for threads about Irish women or women in general - if the users and mods are happy with that so be it

I see your point, but at the same time, we see things users don't see. A shit load of re-reg low level trolls who get their jollies off by taking cheap pot shots. They stay under the radar as the traffic here is massive, We have 10 mods, some are more active then others. For us to effectively read most threads, we would need 50 mods. Smart arse subtle comments slip through the net.

I believe beyond doubt that the large percentage of male posters here are far from sexist, they are witty, funny and intelligent men, the minority let us down. I don't believe AH is sexist to the core but I understand where the complaints are coming from.

Report posts, even if you think it's 50/50. It costs nothing to do so and we won't think bad of you if you do.
    So the charter might be changed because of a bit of lad banter. . . .

First we gave them the vote but I did not speak out as I do not vote

Then they got equal pay but I did not speak out as I do not work

Then they took our golfing clubs but I did not speak out as I do not play golf

Now they come for After hours who is left to speak for me...

There will be no charter change as it's already in the charter.

The simple truth of the matter is you just don't get it. This and your subsequent posts show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

In fairness, ain't none of us look too good in a pair of shorts in the first week of June. :D

ah now, i think its something to be proud of. other parts of the world are trying so hard for our pasty look such as asia even greece!. i avoid the direct sun as much as possible, don't believe in the torture or the silly perception of tan health in adverts. in brazil's cities some of the middle to higher class ladies make an effort to avoid the sun as theres now a perception that pasty is more 'up market', they're very image conscious there.

I like this idea that "banter" is tolerable, and we're not allowed to question what "banter" is but for one, let me tell you, I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for misogynistic banter, I can tell you I don't have tolerence. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop your misogyny now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's pretty much come down to this:
    we are fine with banter.
    This is divisive.

For example, I honestly had no idea that Reality_Check's post was insinuating that all women were Nazis. It was not until reading Lyaiera's post just now that it occurred to me that it could even be interpreted as such.
    This could be indicative of my piss-poor knowledge of history, I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

As its in the charter could it be enforced a little more???

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I like this idea that "banter" is tolerable, and we're not allowed to question what "banter" is but for one, let me tell you, I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for misogynistic banter, I can tell you I don't have tolerence. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop your misogyny now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Okay, I like how you didn't post anti male stuff. That was kind of you.
    All you did was threaten to kill me. :D

efb wrote: »
    As its in the charter could it be enforced a little more???

Absolutely.

So report posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Absolutely.

So report posts.

I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

You haven't seen "Taken" have you??? ;)

mishkalucy wrote: »
    You haven't seen "Taken" have you??? ;)
    But it's a man that's doing that. As if a woman could actually stand a chance. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Can you expand on this? What reiteration are you describing? And who are the three sides?
    The three sides (approximately, as I noted) which came to mind were the
    i) anything goes
    ii) some banter goes
    iii) nothing goes
    viewpoints.

As BD suggested, this thread can be fairly succinctly summarised, and that summary will not have changed over much in the 45 pages posted after the first five which Reality_Check claims read.
    And asking someone to read the thread before they comment is not asking them to do "in-depth research". It's asking them to act like a decent human being would in the real world and not just wade into a conversation based on what they think they heard. It's rude and annoying both IRL and online.
    This thread is about 800 posts long. I would regard reading all that as research.
    People participate in conversations IRL all the time without being fully informed of the situation. In many cases it is the only practical way to have a conversation. If I knew everything about a topic I was intending to discuss, I would have little interest in discussing it with someone else who knew everything about it.

Ah Jaysus! It was only banter. I'm obviously not going to kill you.

Alls I'm saying is that if people are going to be sexist scumbags, troglodyte fcukers who think that insulting women, and how women are so weird and icky and not normal, then I'm not going to stand for it. I'm not going to put up with neanderthal hatemongers thinking that the shítbag jokes they get up to when their moron friends are around is acceptable in polite* company, or when I'm around, then yes, I will quote movies at you.

*AH Polite! HAHAHAHA!

I still think the best course of action is common sense

In the threads listed at the start of this thread the posters always mentioned "some women" or gave a particular example of a girl in their story. True it did descend into some pretty sexist comments but that was from the minority. Plus if you see someone doing that just use the block feature its not like you are being forced to read what they post

Trolls only look for a reaction and in some ways this thread justifies (to them) everything they've done. As painful as it is to admit in essence they've won

• Advertisement

In the threads listed at the start of this thread the posters always mentioned "some women" or gave a particular example of a girl in their story. True it did descend into some pretty sexist comments but that was from the minority. Plus if you see someone doing that just use the block feature its not like you are being forced to read what they post

Trolls only look for a reaction and in some ways this thread justifies (to them) everything they've done. As painful as it is to admit in essence they've won

Okay AH is an open forum. It's viewable by anyone. Reporting the post will (if it's against the rules) have some form of action taken against them.
    As someone said, they leave the post usually and just leave the warning/infraction there for all to see so people know not to do it.

Blocking people prevents the problem for you. It does not prevent the problem for anyone else. Nor does it help people learn what is and what is not acceptable.

Blocking people prevents the problem for you. It does not prevent the problem for anyone else. Nor does it help people learn what is and what is not acceptable.

But that's the beauty of it - you can block anything you consider offensive and everyone can tailor AH to a forum they want to read. It would be like being in the pub with everyone you considered to be an idiot muted.

*awaits award for coming up with pretty decent solution

Ficheall wrote: »
    The three sides (approximately, as I noted) which came to mind were the
    i) anything goes
    ii) some banter goes
    iii) nothing goes
    viewpoints.

As BD suggested, this thread can be fairly succinctly summarised, and that summary will not have changed over much in the 45 pages posted after the first five which Reality_Check claims read.

This thread is about 800 posts long. I would regard reading all that as research.
    People participate in conversations IRL all the time without being fully informed of the situation. In many cases it is the only practical way to have a conversation. If I knew everything about a topic I was intending to discuss, I would have little interest in discussing it with someone else who knew everything about it.

It's still being thrashed out though so it's not just reiteration at this stage, not from my perspective anyway. And maybe it's just me but 99 per cent of the time, and especially for any serious threads, I will read the entire thread before posting so as not to repeat points others have made. I thought that par for the course, tbh.

The "some women" thing is just more of the same, really. What happened was a while back, a load of women kicked up because all women were being tarred with the same brush. The "some women" thing isn't progress. It's just repackaging the same crap in order to get around being reprimanded.

Ignoring the issue doesn't make it go away. Your own quote that I jumped on kind of epitomises that...

Yeah. They mentioned, "Women who wear fake tan." Pretty much all my female friends wear fake tan, weather it's on their legs, arms, or in foundation. Or they've mentioned "Stuck up women in clubs." Pretty much every woman I've talked to can say they've been called stuck up or a lesbian, or a "prude" (no-one's really been called a prude except by a guy I knew in my teens who used the word "Queer" to mean strange.)

The point is that these seemingly obvious slights to certain women aren't slights to "certain women." They're something that every women that has stepped foot in a club in Ireland has been called.

If you can be more inventinve with your insults, I'd be ok with it. If you can actually insult the people who deserve insulting then you're going to be flying along as the Queen of After Hours. Women have no problem with banter. But part of that is getting the lie of the land. Unfortunately we have gotten the lie of the land and we've said that your attitude is simply intolerable.

You can take on board why we're saying you're joking isn't acceptable, or you can run back to your friends and laugh at the lesbian who turned you down. You're choice.

Sauve wrote: »
    Until you get that lovely heat rash pink itchy leg thing that only cailíns get. Now THAT'S sexay.

Or get them stuck to a school chair on a hot day. Fucking knee socks and bare legs should never be mixed with cheap plastic chairs. :mad:

But that's the beauty of it - you can block anything you consider offensive and everyone can tailor AH to a forum they want to read. It would be like being in the pub with everyone you considered to be an idiot muted.

It's still viewable by non registered users. I mean let's face it, if you're a woman and you consider joining boards and your friend tells you that the AH forum is funny and you see a topic with a message that slanders all Irish women in a pretty messed up way, you're gonna have second thoughts.

I can block you right now. I don't have to deal with you since I think you're a muppet (not really, just an example). So I'm nice and happy now! I don't need to view your posts. But what does that do for the thousands of other users? What about the mods? What does that do for them? It doesn't let them know we're sick of certain topics. They think it's fine. They'll come here and see posts slanting one gender and think "oh nobody reported this, must be a nice day today, we'll leave it".

Whereas if it's reported, they know "hmm, there was a reason this was reported. It's sexist. Oh, that's the 4/5/6th post reported of this person's, maybe he's a sexist and offending people on purpose".

You can't think of this place as being tailored for you and you alone. You need to consider everyone. Hence the point of a lot of us is that while the joking is fine. The fact that sometimes it goes OTT isn't fine.

I honestly don't think anyone wants people banned (within reason). It's more of a "stop being a dick" kind of thing that people want enforced more.

No medals just yet.

This concept that AH is like a pub is slightly disingenuous. It's not a pub, it's people chatting in their sitting rooms or on the train to work, or in work, or where ever.

There is without doubt an issue, how big that issue is, is the only thing that is in dispute.

The point is that these seemingly obvious slights to certain women aren't slights to "certain women." They're something that every women that has stepped foot in a club in Ireland has been called.

If you can be more inventinve with your insults, I'd be ok with it. If you can actually insult the people who deserve insulting then you're going to be flying along as the Queen of After Hours.

Okay well what about what I posted as an example of what is and is not okay (in my opinion). Do you feel the first example of my post that I thought was okay is sexist?

Here is the post I made:
    Well there's a big difference between: I went on the pull and got meeting 5 women, all of them turned to be crazy bitches, ever have a night like that or meet any women like that? and saying "I went on the pull and this bitch turned me down, said I was too ugly, the lot of them are complete bitches far as I'm concerned".

One of them opens a discussion where both men and women can partake and offer support and advice and the other is just going to piss off an entire gender.

It'd be no different if a woman posted here and said something like "I asked this man to help me move a heavy box, he said no, so I asked another and he said no. Men are useless prícks"

It's personal because it doesn't attack the few women he had a bad experience with, it attacks women as a whole which is really stupid.

No medals just yet.

This concept that AH is like a pub is slightly disingenuous. It's not a pub, it's people chatting in their sitting rooms or on the train to work, or in work, or where ever.

There is without doubt an issue, how big that issue is, is the only thing that is in dispute.

You've said it a few times already but as far as I can see, the only way mods are going to know when something is bothering people is if they report every post that upsets/annoys them. That's the only way ye're going to get a concise picture of what the community wants.

• Advertisement

It's still viewable by non registered users. I mean let's face it, if you're a woman and you consider joining boards and your friend tells you that the AH forum is funny and you see a topic with a message that slanders all Irish women in a pretty messed up way, you're gonna have second thoughts.

I can block you right now. I don't have to deal with you since I think you're a muppet (not really, just an example). So I'm nice and happy now! I don't need to view your posts. But what does that do for the thousands of other users? What about the mods? What does that do for them? It doesn't let them know we're sick of certain topics. They think it's fine. They'll come here and see posts slanting one gender and think "oh nobody reported this, must be a nice day today, we'll leave it".

Whereas if it's reported, they know "hmm, there was a reason this was reported. It's sexist. Oh, that's the 4/5/6th post reported of this person's, maybe he's a sexist and offending people on purpose".

You can't think of this place as being tailored for you and you alone. You need to consider everyone. Hence the point of a lot of us is that while the joking is fine. The fact that sometimes it goes OTT isn't fine.

I honestly don't think anyone wants people banned (within reason). It's more of a "stop being a dick" kind of thing that people want enforced more.

first point - I couldnt tell you my GF browses off my account and she never took offense to anything in AH she just doesn't pay obvious sexism much attention tbh.

second point - Well thats the thing say for example 2 people hate what Im saying but 2000 people like it. Those 20 people could report me and get me banned but if they just block me instead they don't have to listen to me anymore and the people that do like my posts can still see what I have to say

No medals just yet.

Considering its a public place where anyone can come in to chat with sometimes risque topics its more like the pub than anywhere else but I take your point

first point - I couldnt tell you my GF browses off my account and she never took offense to anything in AH she just doesn't pay obvious sexism much attention tbh.

second point - Well thats the thing say for example 2 people hate what Im saying but 2000 people like it. Those 20 people could report me and get me banned but if they just block me instead they don't have to listen to me anymore and the people that do like my posts can still see what I have to say

Some posters don't take offense to it. But it's viewable by everyone, account or not. That's an issue right there.

And what of the people without accounts? What of the people who say "I'm not going to register, this place is disgusting".

Oh and it's not a place where people can just enter and have a talk. If they're being a muppet, they get banned :D

Considering its a public place where anyone can come in to chat with sometimes risque topics its more like the pub than anywhere else but I take your point

It's more then a public place, it's a community. You just couldn't walk into a community and expect to be allowed to say what you want, would you?

It's all well and good dropping in now and again but when you are here a while, you see things again and again. It's all about reaching a balance.

Well there's a big difference between: I went on the pull and got meeting 5 women, all of them turned to be crazy bitches, ever have a night like that or meet any women like that? and saying "I went on the pull and this bitch turned me down, said I was too ugly, the lot of them are complete bitches far as I'm concerned".

One of them opens a discussion where both men and women can partake and offer support and advice and the other is just going to piss off an entire gender.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like more explanation about why these women were crazy bitches. Tell me a little story about them, tell me how the first one was wear wellies, stockings and an umbrella hat. Tell me how the second one was crawling on the floor feeling your toes. Tell me how the third one was calling the bouncers to help her fix a lightbulb. Tell me how the fourth one was trying to get passerby's to do the Macarena. Tell me how the fifth one was sipping a cocktail she repeatedly put banana slices into.

I'm not going to buy into generic bitching about anyone. Because otherwise it just comes across as "bitches be crazy!" Which is fine if you want to be an anonymous AH poster who gets ignored by everyone.

It'd be no different if a woman posted here and said something like "I asked this man to help me move a heavy box, he said no, so I asked another and he said no. Men are useless prícks"

It's personal because it doesn't attack the few women he had a bad experience with, it attacks women as a whole which is really stupid.

Ok. First off... The heavy box story is really old. How many people work in a place with heavy boxes around. Secondly I'm sure a guy gets worried that he's going to end up a sweaty fccker (and no-one likes the sweaty fckuer when he's sweating all over the place.) There's so much richness to a heavy box story. Don't make it about men versus women. Don't make it about lesbians versus guys with righteous dicks. Don't make it about the tropes that we deal with every day. Make it special, make it important to you and me and we'll have a story.

But really, "heavy box" story and "wimminz be bitches" story aren't something I'm going to want to engage with. And they could potentially be seen as offensive.

If you can be more inventinve with your insults, I'd be ok with it. If you can actually insult the people who deserve insulting then you're going to be flying along as the Queen of After Hours. Women have no problem with banter. But part of that is getting the lie of the land. Unfortunately we have gotten the lie of the land and we've said that your attitude is simply intolerable.

You can take on board why we're saying you're joking isn't acceptable, or you can run back to your friends and laugh at the lesbian who turned you down. You're choice.

Like I said above I still think blocking people is the answer. Some women might not be offended by what goes on (I know Im on dangerously thin ice here) but if thats the case then it should be there choice what to read and what is blocked. The people who are offended can simply block who they wish and they will have a better experience. I dont think it is feasible or your responsibility to make the thread viewer friendly for everyone. Like was mentioned already some people could have exceptions to every thread that gets posted here

Also I do take on board what you say but I dont have to agree with it. That doesnt make you a lesbian nor does it make me someone who would laugh at you for rejecting my opinions :)

• Advertisement

It's more then a public place, it's a community. You just couldn't walk into a community and expect to be allowed to say what you want, would you?

It's all well and good dropping in now and again but when you are here a while, you see things again and again. It's all about reaching a balance.

As someone who owns a pub I can relate to hearing the same drivel over and over again and believe me blocking it out is the answer :pac:

You've said it a few times already but as far as I can see, the only way mods are going to know when something is bothering people is if they report every post that upsets/annoys them. That's the only way ye're going to get a concise picture of what the community wants.

For fear of expecting a large increase in reported posts, thats it in a nut shell. Because we don't action a RP doesn't mean it goes unnoticed. The mods or every forum serve the people who use the forum. If the people who use a forum deem something to be unacceptable, it is unacceptable. Don't under estimate the report function.

Lyaiera, my point was in the first one (obviously there better be good bit of background on the reasoning) that anyone can join in and have a laugh.

And I think you're taking it a bit too far. The box thing was an example of why it's stupid to slander all people the same way. I could have gone for a black/asian story but you'd probably have said it's too much too.

As someone who owns a pub I can relate to hearing the same drivel over and over again and believe me blocking it out is the answer :pac:

In that case, you'll understand why some people need to be ejected as they don't get the mood of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

This problem as it's seen by some wouldn't exist today if those same people had utilized the report function. It's as simple as. And that's all that's needed and all that's ever been needed. It didn't require the clusterfuck of a thread this was.

• Advertisement

Some posters don't take offense to it. But it's viewable by everyone, account or not. That's an issue right there.

And what of the people without accounts? What of the people who say "I'm not going to register, this place is disgusting".

Oh and it's not a place where people can just enter and have a talk. If they're being a muppet, they get banned :D

playing devils advocate Im sure there are just as many people who say "ha this place is hilarious Im going to register"

I dont think you can account for people with no accounts (excuse the pun) nor should you. It's about looking after the people who posted complaints in the first place and providing them with a solutuion

Okay you own a pub so... how would you feel about someone constantly saying stuff like "you own a pub, you're supporting alcoholics".
    Then hearing it from the same few people.

Wouldn't you tell them to get out and stay out? Or would you sit there listen to that over and over?

Sindri wrote: »
    This problem as it's seen by some wouldn't exist today if those same people had utilized the report function. It's as simple as. And that's all that's needed and all that's ever been needed. It didn't require the clusterfuck of a thread this was.

Clusterfuck? Because you deem it so? A load of posters have come on and said that some of those posts that are collectively offensive appear too innocuous to report. So what then, if it's so simple?

playing devils advocate Im sure there are just as many people who say "ha this place is hilarious Im going to register"

I dont think you can account for people with no accounts (excuse the pun) nor should you. It's about looking after the people who posted complaints in the first place and providing them with a solutuion

No, it's really not. This isn't like a private forum.

Anyone can view this place. If someone gets turned off from boards because of a few muppets, tell the muppets to get lost and the person will be happy.

It's not as if I posted in personal problems about a situation that would make many uncomfortable. There you can say "okay, I'm staying out of this one".

AH is one of the biggest (or the biggest) and most active forum.

If people here are being dicks it has to be stopped.

Okay you own a pub so... how would you feel about someone constantly saying stuff like "you own a pub, you're supporting alcoholics".

Wouldn't you tell them to get out and stay out? Or would you sit there listen to that over and over?

Or "All the women that frequent this pub are fucking ugly/man hating/lesbians/feminazis/bitches"?

Because that's what all this equates to. Would you allow those customers to run off your female customers or would you say, "Hey. Some of those women are my best customers. I don't want them to feel unwelcome here."

Because that is essentially what this thread boils down to.

All this pub talk has made me thirsty.

ah go on so, I'll have a beer :D

I'll have a Corona and lime if you're offering. :D

well thats a bad example because people who say that generally wouldnt be sitting in the pub to begin with.

But the same people do waffle on again and again with sporting, religious and political views that I dont agree with and I find its a much better experience if I just block them out as best I can.

Trying to force my own views on them or telling them to get out would serve no purpose because I am sure there are plenty of people in the pub that agree with them

I'd appreciate a triple southern comfort and a dash of red please :D

Sindri wrote: »
    This problem as it's seen by some wouldn't exist today if those same people had utilized the report function. It's as simple as. And that's all that's needed and all that's ever been needed. It didn't require the clusterf[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]k of a thread this was.

I wouldn't say this thread has been a clusterfcuk at all- it has given a lot of people a chance to air opinions that would otherwise be shouted down.
    Discussion is always healthy as long as it's not overdone, and there have been a lot of grievances cleared up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement