Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I got annoyed by a lot of threads on the christianity/islam/spirituality forums

you know what I did?

revolutionary stuff here so be prepared
    I stopped reading those threads/forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

All men are bastards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Pa Dee wrote: »
    On your monthlies?

Yeah let's rubbish her opinion due to biological function. Charming :rolleyes:
    There is factual, imperial and quantifiable evidence that her whining could be caused by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

There is factual, imperial and quantifiable evidence that her whining could be caused by this

I'm gonna go with: no.
    I'm then gonna go with: do you even fooking talk to women, at all? Or any girl that has had her period?

If you think every female on her peroid whines then you have no fooking clue about women at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AH is sexist and quite often bordering on facist too, especially when commenting on crime issues and such. It's a weird line for the forum to take in general because ti has some very liberal attitudes on things like drugs.

It's almost like the forum is primarily populated by stoned, insular, middle class, males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't think it's a sexist thing. I think it's just you not getting the humour.
    Take the "knock the bitch out" comment. It was said as a joke.:
    I get AH humour. That wasn't a jokey comment and if it was, it wasn't actually funny
    well it was a joke and i thought it was funny but that's the thing about humour, some people are hyper sensitive and think that certain topics are off limits. If you think i was genuinely advocating violence then you are sorely mistaken. Besides, it was less an anti women joke and mire an anti asshole joke.
    As for the anti woman bias in AH, yes its there but its unsurprising given that the population of AH is primarily male, the majority of whom have the bluest balls known to man.

I'm gonna go with: no.
    I'm then gonna go with: do you even fooking talk to women, at all? Or any girl that has had her period?

If you think every female on her peroid whines then you have no fooking clue about women at all.
    Every gf, female collegue or acquaintance I have known undergoes a change of personality when on their monthlies. It's obvious and easy to spot

Every gf, female collegue or acquaintance I have known undergoes a change of personality when on their monthlies. It's obvious and easy to spot

Alright I must be the only man alive who doesn't manage to piss them off and make them whine. So lucky me.

Alright I must be the only man alive who doesn't manage to piss them off and make them whine. So lucky me.
    Glad you agree I am correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Irish women seem to be very jealous of any foreign attractive girl,I have been told this by a lot of foreign women having had negative experiences in pubs and niteclubs.
    Maybe it's a threat issue with them,this is generally only with the younger crowd or theclittle princesses as a poster put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

So we have several examples of a particular type of thread over the past two weeks and...what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Right, at the risk of being called a hand-wringing, humourless feminazi, I've noticed a deluge of threads in AH recently slagging off women (particularly Irish women).

I don't know about any other female posters here, but I'm getting fairly sick of the generalisations being thrown about about us on a daily basis.

Well if these anti-Irish women threads keep popping up then maybe, just maybe... there's an element of truth to it. Or all of these male posters could be just misogynistic mama's boys who are bitter towards women, but that would be just another generalisation.

If you're that fed up with them then just do what the many Irish men are doing and go out and find a nice foreign partner. If a man posted a thread complaining about women's posts he'd be called a whingebag!

I agree that you manage to piss women off a lot and assume it's because they're on their period. Let's face it, even if the OP was on her period... does that mean anytime you act like she did and make a thread she doesn't like she's to post something idiotic and assume it's because you're a man and you're impotent?

I honestly have never seen a women act unreasonable (beyond complaining of cramps) because of their period. The closest would probably be a friend of mine who had cramps so bad she was in bed for a day or two. She didn't snap at me, didn't seem upset, overly emotional or anything. Seemed fine beyond a simple "the cramps are killing me". But I've only known her about 12 years, maybe you could have deduced the personality changed but nobody else around her could.

But that's just me. I'm sure your expertise with women that consists of questioning their posts with "you on the rag love?" is up their with the greatest of papers written on the human psyche.

I agree that you manage to piss women off a lot and assume it's because they're on their period. Let's face it, even if the OP was on her period... does that mean anytime you act like she did and make a thread she doesn't like she's to post something idiotic and assume it's because you're a man and you're impotent?

I honestly have never seen a women act unreasonable (beyond complaining of cramps) because of their period. The closest would probably be a friend of mine who had cramps so bad she was in bed for a day or two. She didn't snap at me, didn't seem upset, overly emotional or anything. Seemed fine beyond a simple "the cramps are killing me". But I've only known her about 12 years, maybe you could have deduced the personality changed but nobody else around her could.

But that's just me. I'm sure your expertise with women that consists of questioning their posts with "you on the rag love?" is up their with the greatest of papers written on the human psyche.
    I question your terminology for a womans period. Touch raw isn't it? Takes from your fake argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Can we get off the period chat,having my breakfast.

• Advertisement

I question your terminology for a womans period. Touch raw isn't it? Takes from your fake argument
    I'm sorry, I meant "monthlies" (which is oh-so proper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sappa wrote: »

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cereal-guy-exploitable.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sappa wrote: »

It's only a little blood

I'm sorry, I meant "monthlies" (which is oh-so proper).
    Once again I appreciate you acknowledging when you are wrong.

Lucky I'm not a woman or else you might be saying I'm on the "monthlies". Instead you just delude yourself into thinking I said I was wrong. Well done. :rolleyes:

I like that little fecker way too much

• Advertisement

Lucky I'm not a woman or else you might be saying I'm on the "monthlies". Instead you just delude yourself into thinking I said I was wrong. Well done. :rolleyes:

I like that little fecker way too much
    Thanks for the congratulations and the total capitulation

Thanks for the congratulations and the total capitulation
    I didn't surrender in a war... I honestly have no clue if you're a really bad troll or just completely insane. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well if these anti-Irish women threads keep popping up then maybe, just maybe... there's an element of truth to it.

Interesting argument; would you apply it to racist threads too?

This is where you admit being the exception therefore in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I don't think all the anti-Irish women comments made on here are banter or light-hearted at all! I'm not a sensitive girl and I only come to AH for a few laughs but it's really annoying to see the same comments about this Irish "princess" syndrome and foreign women being amazingly better looking than Irish girl type comments over and over. What's the need for it? It's not even true

Rightio. Let's try again: THAT WAS SARCASM

I thought it was obvious. Just like it's obvious the OP is on her monthlies, no?

Just incase: that was also sarcasm.
    Smeggy wrote: »
    I don't think all the anti-Irish women comments made on here are banter or light-hearted at all! I'm not a sensitive girl and I only come to AH for a few laughs but it's really annoying to see the same comments about this Irish "princess" syndrome and foreign women being amazingly better looking than Irish girl type comments over and over. What's the need for it? It's not even true

Oh some aren't. Your man's comment about the OP being on her period most certainly wasn't jest and you can see his style from his posts.

A lot of it is banter though. You can sort of tell who makes the jokes and who unforuntely, does think the women are at fault.

Rightio. Let's try again: THAT WAS SARCASM

I thought it was obvious. Just like it's obvious the OP is on her monthlies, no?

Just incase: that was also sarcasm.
    Hush now little child. Accept your defeat as I have accepted your congratulations on defeating you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

well it was a joke and i thought it was funny but that's the thing about humour, some people are hyper sensitive and think that certain topics are off limits.

There needs to be some sort of humour in it for it to be funny. The guy was complaining about a woman going mental and someone says he should have knocked her out. Hilarious.

There needs to be some sort of humour in it for it to be funny. The guy was complaining about a woman going mental and someone says he should have knocked her out. Hilarious.

Except it was a joke. Would it have made it better if it was a man he said it about? Or do you just not get the joke in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Like anything in life, those with negative experiences tend to be the most vocal. The majority of people with something positive to say are less likely or don't feel the need to express it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Don't worry OP, those posts you mentioned first can also be for your own benefit because they help you to spot those guys who are clearly scared of women and have some big, big inferiority complexes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Men fear what they do not understand and fear often leads to hatred.

Or something. *shrugs*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As others have said there's the demographics. Mostly a young male userbase. I'd go a little further and suggest that within that group you have a smaller subgroup of more socially immature men. These are relatively easy to spot. If they come out with "all women want bastards" then tick the box in your spotters guide, you've found one. They're more likely to come out with the sexist stuff.

That said that's also too easy an explanation as I know plenty of well sorted, socially mature men who have no shortage of female interaction who also think along these lines, the "foreign women are better" meme being particularly strong among those. I also know some socially crippled men who are anything but sexist.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

but I'm getting fairly sick of the generalisations being thrown about about us on a daily basis.

Seriously, why all the hostility towards us ladies on AH lately?

as an irish male i am also sick of seeing those threads.... sadly in AH the same types of threads just get re-cycled over n over again.

most of the bash women threads are started by nerdy guys that either recently got shot down by an irish woman in a pub/club and are bitter.... or lack the skills in chatting up irish women... so they go for foreign women that don't properly understand their drivel instead.

there is lots of lovely irish women out there that don't fit in the fake tan type category.

Can I just add the thing with girls from other countries are usually down to two things: the accent and media. Remember the idiot girl after PS. I Love You came out?

You might not but she was from another country and when asked what she wanted in an Irishman one of the things was "to play the bagpipes". Media outlets put a really, really great picture of Irish men out there, except most of it is a lot of lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I got annoyed by a lot of threads on the christianity/islam/spirituality forums

you know what I did?

revolutionary stuff here so be prepared
    I stopped reading those threads/forums.

Firstly, comparing religious threads to a general thread like AH is pointless - if religious people annoy you, you're probably best off not frequenting the religion forum alright.

General musings, current affairs and light-hearted banter don't annoy me, so why on earth should I avoid AH simply because some guys can't grasp the concept that many women don't appreciate being referred to as ugly, fat, stuck-up, gold-digging slags?

So, no, I won't stop frequenting AH because of a minority of clueless posters. I'm just pointing out a trend I've seen on here of late and wondering why some people think it's ok to generalise about women in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Take it with a pinch of salt, if you read some of the AH style posts on parenting boards ( mostly populated by women ) some of the things they say put this place in the shade but its all banter, its a bit of a laugh, I don't take it personally.

However there are some posters on here who really do seem to have an issue with women, you only have to look at some of the threads that appear on LL only to be locked and removed as soon as they appear to see there is a small group of posters with a very worrying hatred of women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I don't get the male posters who say 'the forum is going to be anti-women because it's 80% male'

Why? 'So there's more men here, there's going to be anti-women threads.' ??? 'It's the same the way the lads are down the pub'

Why.

When women get together we might have a slight moan about men, but there certainly isn't the absolute bashing and dissing that goes on here and I'm sure we all know goes on in groups of males.

Why. Bonding together belittling the other sex? Affirming your superiority?

It's not really a a nice thing is it?

God forbid, you men on here could you know, say something actually positive about a woman?

I am getting annoyed now coming onto AH. It's not nice to feel in the bashed minority. I like AH, it's where the most up to date news is for a start and covers a broader range of topics, and I would be always of the opinion to not quit and leave but to change things so a place is positive for all.

Women are getting annoyed now coming onto AH. And Men on here are never going to learn that this posting (and talk) is unacceptable unless it's challenged.

Therefore it needs to be challenged.

So, no, I won't stop frequenting AH because of a minority of clueless posters. I'm just pointing out a trend I've seen on here of late and wondering why some people think it's ok to generalise about women in that way.

Obviously you shouldn't stop coming here if you like AH. And if it's down to a few people posting stuff you dislike, I'd say avoid them.

But forget that. I think it's been well explained enough already why these threads crop out. Some men are just utter and complete sexist pigs. Just like women are. Sometimes you'll notice a trend in a certain type of topic.

I think that's the best I can give you really. Or else school is out and most people are getting shot down by women are are bitter. :D

BTW, have you thought about PMing the (I assume) guys that you have an issue with? It could probably be that they did make a joke and honestly don't have a problem. I know if I offend someone I'd gladly say sorry. The posters could just be ignorant of the fact that offended you.

• Advertisement

most of the bash women threads are started by nerdy guys that either recently got shot down by an irish woman in a pub/club and are bitter.... or lack the skills in chatting up irish women... so they go for foreign women.

So you need good social skills with Irish women but not with foreign women? Maybe they just find the foreign women easier to talk to.

So you need good social skills with Irish women but not with foreign women? Maybe they just find the foreign women easier to talk to.
    Eh, I didn't think it was obvious to mention but: foreign women believe the irish bull a lot more than an Irish woman would.
    Just like Irish women believe foreign bull more than they would Irish bull.

Eh, I didn't think it was obvious to mention but: foreign women believe the irish bull a lot more than an Irish woman would.
    Just like Irish women believe foreign bull more than they would Irish bull.

Bull is bull. Some people are just more approachable than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I could almost guarantee that was going to be the first reply :P

I would have thought get back to the kitchen.

Bull is bull. Some people are just more approachable than others.
    So are you telling me if we took 100 Irish women who were all born and raised here 30 years. Then took 100 30 year old women from various countries around the world and showed them a bunch of propganda films about how Irish men are amazing like PS I Love You, the only reason the 100 non-Irish women would fall for an Irish man is because the Irish women can't be tricked as easy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Except it was a joke. Would it have made it better if it was a man he said it about? Or do you just not get the joke in general?

To be honest, no, I don't get the 'joke'. A 'fat' woman comes over and tries to slap a guy, so in response the poster says 'I hope you knocked that bitch out'.

Is it a cultural reference to some phrase or television programme I'm missing? Or is it just someone saying that he hopes the guy punched a girl for trying to slap him?

And how would it have made it better if it was about a man?

• Advertisement

To be honest, no, I don't get the 'joke'. A 'fat' woman comes over and tries to slap a guy, so in response the poster says 'I hope you knocked that bitch out'.

Is it a cultural reference to some phrase or television programme I'm missing? Or is it just someone saying that he hopes the guy punched a girl for trying to slap him?

And how would it have made it better if it was about a man?

Okay you don't get it. There you go. I'm sure you don't get other jokes. I'm sure there are jokes that I don't get that you think are hilarious.

I don't have anything else to say because well, I just can't explain it any better. If you have to analyze the joke to explain it, it wouldn't be funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Read the forum a lot more than I post but I have seen mods close a ton of threads over the years that you could describe as genuine women bashing. As the Panda man said: report the threads / posts and I bet they would get dealt with.

Granted, there is more complaining about women on AH but maybe that (and don't bite my head off about this) is because there is some truth to many of their complaints. I mean, it can't all just be ugly lads who don't get much attention off women. At this stage, with the amount of negative comments about Irish girls attitudes in social settings, there has to be some element of truth to it.

The truth is though: that there are far more posts from women complaining about misogyny on AH than there is actual misogyny. One user who seemed to do this as a hobby recently closed her and account and within days opened a new one and started make the same complaints straight away about anti-women posts here - says everything.

Anyway, I think if women just report and then ignore the really ignorant knuckle-dragging stuff, it will get dealt with and then just argue your point with the rest (like we all have to) then the forum would be all the better for it.

So are you telling me if we took 100 Irish women who were all born and raised here 30 years. Then took 100 30 year old women from various countries around the world and showed them a bunch of propganda films about how Irish men are amazing like PS I Love You, the only reason the 100 non-Irish women would fall for an Irish man is because the Irish women can't be tricked as easy?

Who said anything about tricking people? Bull is bull regardless of gender or nationality. Foreign women are no less impervious to bullsh1t than Irish women. Approaching someone and giving them a compliment is a different story.

Who said anything about tricking people? Bull is bull regardless of gender or nationality. Foreign women are no less impervious to bullsh1t than Irish women. Approaching someone and giving them a compliment is a different story.

You're missing the point. The idea of a romantic man from another land is always something women will fall for.
    Irish women can just see straight true it and make it harder for Irish men. It's not that they do it on purpose or anything it's just, they know when we're feeding them lines to get them in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

whiplashed wrote: »

Granted, there is more complaining about women on AH but maybe that (and don't bite my head off about this) is because there is some truth to many of their complaints. I mean, it can't all just be ugly lads who don't get much attention off women. At this stage, with the amount of negative comments about Irish girls attitudes in social settings, there has to be some element of truth to ...

Any "truth" would be just someone not getting laid just because he said a few words in a nightclub to a woman. I wonder if the porn generation expects things too easily.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement