Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You certainly have a point OP.

I cringe when I see any thread title with women and Irish in the title. Shows an almost "never left the village" attitude. People are people and telling a story about a single incident with one person and then lumping them in with other people of the same nationality is daft.

Telling a story about one woman/men and not comparing to them to all/most of their gender is ok in my book.

This is something that pops up every now and again. We smack it down and it returns, we smack it down again, rinse and repeat.

As said earlier, it is normally a small group of young lads who don't know better and are still growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm female myself (last time I checked) and I've always been a bit anti-feminism (modern feminism that is, I think the movement was necessary in the past) because I didn't think it was doing women any favours.

In fact I found that some overzealous feminists don't want equality, they want to be superior, which defeats the purpose entirely. I understand that men often find women difficult and they don't understand their humour etc.

However, I was pretty much under the impression that things were fairly equal in Irish society and I rarely came across sexist men. Then I started using boards and now I wonder if the majority of men on boards represent irish men. So many bitter, terrified little men with inferiority complexes or just really bad experiences with women.

Here is a shocker: I don't care if a man has a car, a house, a golden helicopter. I don't care if he lives at home, I don't care if doesn't have a penis that can be tucked into his socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

You're missing the point. The idea of a romantic man from another land is always something women will fall for.
    Irish women can just see straight true it and make it harder for Irish men. It's not that they do it on purpose or anything it's just, they know when we're feeding them lines to get them in bed.

Not if the foreign man is a sleazebag just looking to get laid. It depends on the person, but yes I see what you mean. I've noticed when I flirt with a foreign girl or show an interest in her, she doesn't question my motives. With the Irish you have to be a bit more subtle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    So you need good social skills with Irish women but not with foreign women? Maybe they just find the foreign women easier to talk to.
    A language barrier helps. People are more likely to make an effort socially with such a barrier, plus there is the major element of novelty going on.

I would say the main reason men may find it easier to chat up foreign women is that they believe its easier to chat up foreign women, they believe foreign women are more open/easygoing/less bitchy*, so are more relaxed while doing so and therefore more successful.

*which is BS. It's much more down to the individual. Take out the novelty factor and there's precious little difference going on. I would say Irish women, just like the men drink way more to the point of falling over than most in Europe(UK and Sweden excepted IME), but that's about it. You want aloof and up themselves? Try some of the more bourgeois French women, where you'd need to puck them in the head with a hurl to get any reaction. Italian women can be incredibly clannish and don't believe the macho culture either as they can be very demanding as girlfriends. Spanish women can come across as very needy and cloying, needing 24/7 attention and contact. Way more than your average Irish woman. Or not. Like I said it's down to the individual. That's been my expeirence, your milage may differ.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm female myself (last time I checked) and I've always been a bit anti-feminism (modern feminism that is, I think the movement was necessary in the past) because I didn't think it was doing women any favours.

In fact I found that some overzealous feminists don't want equality, they want to be superior, which defeats the purpose entirely. I understand that men often find women difficult and they don't understand their humour etc.

However, I was pretty much under the impression that things were fairly equal in Irish society and I rarely came across sexist men. Then I started using boards and now I wonder if the majority of men on boards represent irish men. So many bitter, terrified little men with inferiority complexes or just really bad experiences with women.

Here is a shocker: I don't care if a man has a car, a house, a golden helicopter. I don't care if he lives at home, I don't care if doesn't have a penis that can be tucked into his socks.

I bet some of that was sarcasm :D

Joking aside you're falling into the same trap that guys my age do: you've been exposed to generally really f**ked up comments and opinions from men about women. So you wonder if all men are like that. Sometimes a man is exposed to a horrifying woman who is just as bad as a sexist man and they wonder if all men are like that.

So no, not all men are like that but the ones that are are very, very vocal and leave a lasting impression on you.

I tend to gloss over most of it at this stage because it's so pathetic.
    Hordes of either immature men or bitter men who can't get any, on the internet bitching about how they're too good for irish women anyway and how all irish women have complexes and yada yada. Then the second anyone suggests they might disagree it dissolves into protestations of "i'm only JOKING" when even a deaf blind person could see they weren't. They just don't even have the courage to stand behind what they were moaning about. Some are joking, many definitely are not.
    Oh and don't forget the "I'm a nice guy and I'm SO nice and I don't know why that doesn't entitle me to sex, women all want bastards, I hate them all" whingers

You want foreign women? Don't give a flying fcuk, you're welcome to them - if you can. You hate nightclubs in ireland and seeing all these princesses that seem to be everywhere all the time and then rant about how you spent your evening insulting some girl you don't know? Maybe you should stop going to them, then. :confused:

I'm sure we've all had bad experiences with the opposite gender. You get the "all men are bastards" angle sometimes on here too, but it's the other women who are as likely to shout this down as not.

Medusa22 wrote: »

Stand by for the PM's :p

I think another thing worth noting is that some jokes don't translate well in text and if the same thing was spoken, it would have a different ring to it.

Not defending anyone, but i suspect a faair bit of what people say here is misunderstood and not meant to demean anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As said earlier, it is normally a small group of young lads who don't know better and are still growing up.
    +1.

I'd add though that overall Irish men ain't that bad sexism wise. Sure of course improvements could be made, but compared to some other cultures I've experienced where men can publicly and happily say unbelievably sexist things about women in general and women present, Irish guys are in general miles ahead. I'd even go so far as to say that's a small reason why Irish guys can do quite well with foreign women. It might well be why less Irish women go for foreign guys because they won't take shíte like that?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

BTW, have you thought about PMing the (I assume) guys that you have an issue with? It could probably be that they did make a joke and honestly don't have a problem. I know if I offend someone I'd gladly say sorry. The posters could just be ignorant of the fact that offended you.

No, I've never PM'd a poster to complain about their posts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how retarded it is.

Honestly, I do get AH humour. I enjoy a bit of banter, same as anyone else (the 'are you on the rag' type comments, for example, to me are just banter). However, the trend towards being genuinely downright offensive towards an entire gender is getting beyond a joke now, imo and I could see it driving some women away from AH altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

why all the hostility towards us ladies on AH lately?

I think its a numbers game... Ah is more one sided to men then women in terms there are probably more men to women i recon about 7 men to each woman or there abouts...

Which leads to more so oh look he bashed a woman that means i can, then theres the safety you can say something and not have to deal with it.

• Advertisement

No, I've never PM'd a poster to complain about their posts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how retarded it is.

Honestly, I do get AH humour. I enjoy a bit of banter, same as anyone else (the 'are you on the rag' type comments, for example, to me are just banter). However, the trend towards being genuinely downright offensive towards an entire gender is getting beyond a joke now, imo and I could see it driving some women away from AH altogether.

I'm not asking you to complain. If you PM them and see if their honestly joking and they aren't, then just report it or ask a mod to give an opinion.
    Worst case scenario you're wrong and it's fine. Best case scenario they're banned/they were joking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I for one am not happy with the 'Is my housemate a slag/prostitute' being up. I don't think it has any place here.
    The minute I come in I see a derogatory term about a woman.
    Should 'slag' be allowed in thread titles?

I for one am not happy with the 'Is my housemate a slag/prostitute' being up. I don't think it has any place here.

ah now that one is a bit like the "are my suddenly rich neighbours drug dealers" one

I suppose slag does really only apply to women :/

Message one of the mods I guess and ask them what they think

Wibbs wrote: »
    A language barrier helps. People are more likely to make an effort socially with such a barrier, plus there is the major element of novelty going on.

I agree with the novelty thing. The foreigners can seem more exotic and interesting. After a while the novelty wears off.
    +1.

I'd add though that overall Irish men ain't that bad sexism wise. Sure of course improvements could be made, but compared to some other cultures I've experienced where men can publicly and happily say unbelievably sexist things about women in general and women present, Irish guys are in general miles ahead. I'd even go so far as to say that's a small reason why Irish guys can do quite well with foreign women. It might well be why less Irish women go for foreign guys because they won't take shíte like that?

Yeah there's far worse places than Ireland for sexism. Irish men do tend to do quite well with foreign women so they can't be that bad. Look at the middle-east and even south America. Irish men are nowhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

was up nice and early this morning and noticed this bird doing the walk of shame through my estate,right past my house.too much fake tan,mini skirt up to her arse and muffin top spilling out all over the place.i wolf whistled of course but she just kept walking,head down.classy

fran17 wrote: »
    was up nice and early this morning and noticed this bird doing the walk of shame through my estate,right past my house.too much fake tan,mini skirt up to her arse and muffin top spilling out all over the place.i wolf whistled of course but she just kept walking,head down.classy

I bet you get all the women. :p

So you find a word offensive and you want it to be removed from title threads. Just what the world needs....more censorship because someone is "offended" by words.

Surely you should embrace the fact that you are offended by the title of a thread as it will prevent you from reading it and hurting your delicate eyes with no-no words?

So you find a word offensive and you want it to be removed from title threads. Just what the world needs....more censorship because someone is "offended" by words.

Surely you should embrace the fact that you are offended by the title of a thread as it will prevent you from reading it and hurting your delicate eyes with no-no words?
    And boards is still viewable by everyone. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion. If she finds it offensive, let her talk to the mods and see what they say. If they ban the word you can have your say and see what happens.

Besides, it's a private forum, you have millions of others to go to if you dislike the censorship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Not defending anyone, but i suspect a faair bit of what people say here is misunderstood and not meant to demean anyone.
    Try hearing the same 'joke' being trotted out time and time and time again. "Jaysus, the cranky head on yer wan, must have the painters in!!11!1" guffaw guffaw backslap high5ive.

Only through his binoculars.

g'em wrote: »
    Try hearing the same 'joke' being trotted out time and time and time again. "Jaysus, the cranky head on yer wan, must have the painters in!!11!1" guffaw guffaw backslap high5ive.

Boards and life is full of tired and overused jokes.

How would you suggest we combat examples like the one you pointed out?

Yea, now I like a joke, even an incredibly inappropriate joke so long as it;s a good one, but that one is so so banal at this stage, it's not even funny in an ironic way anymore.

Put a sticky at the top of the forum saying you'll ban them? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Charmer

• Advertisement

Add it to the "your ma" and "grammar nazi" list of "ahh FFS be more inventive would ye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The same way the over used 'yore ma/blast with piss' tired phrases were dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That is actually a repugnant thread title- the first I saw of it was last night, and yes, I have reported it.

great minds/fools seldom differ :D

efb wrote: »
    That is actually a repugnant thread title- the first I saw of it was last night, and yes, I have reported it.
    The slag one? If you don't mind me asking are you male or female?

• Advertisement

no im very much happy with what i've got thanks.but i pity the fella who had the "pleasure" of her company last night and what he got off her

no im very much happy with what i've got thanks.but i pity the fella who had the "pleasure" of her company last night and what he got off her

Ah no in fairness, ya can't be the good old vidoes on the internet. I'm happy with those too. :p

Only through his binoculars.
    correction:night vision binoculars;)

The slag one? If you don't mind me asking are you male or female?

male, 32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bluewolf wrote: »
    I tend to gloss over most of it at this stage because it's so pathetic.
    Hordes of either immature men or bitter men who can't get any, on the internet bitching about how they're too good for irish women anyway and how all irish women have complexes and yada yada. Then the second anyone suggests they might disagree it dissolves into protestations of "i'm only JOKING" when even a deaf blind person could see they weren't. They just don't even have the courage to stand behind what they were moaning about. Some are joking, many definitely are not.
    Oh and don't forget the "I'm a nice guy and I'm SO nice and I don't know why that doesn't entitle me to sex, women all want bastards, I hate them all" whingers

You want foreign women? Don't give a flying fcuk, you're welcome to them - if you can. You hate nightclubs in ireland and seeing all these princesses that seem to be everywhere all the time and then rant about how you spent your evening insulting some girl you don't know? Maybe you should stop going to them, then. :confused:

I'm sure we've all had bad experiences with the opposite gender. You get the "all men are bastards" angle sometimes on here too, but it's the other women who are as likely to shout this down as not.

Am I the only 1 that prefers Irish women? I hate the old "foreign birds are rides compared to Irish girls"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Jaysus your awful cranky today................*runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grindle wrote: »
    Not all of them - our best-looking ones are at least the equal of their average ones.

Nah, our best looking ones are much better looking than their average ones. I've seen some truly jaw-dropping women on these shores. And yes, they were Irish.

male, 32
    About 9 years younger than then or so. Just curious did you feel that it should be removed when you saw the title/read the first post or did you come back to it? Because I didn't evne think about it till your one mentioned she reported it and it made sense that slag does only describe a girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

It already exists that certain words aren't allowed in threads/ thread titles. I can ask that this one be looked at and added to the list.

Again, freedom of speech doesn't mean you are allowed to say whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you referred to some-one at work as a slag (even talking about them not to them) what would happen? People would be offended and you would most likely receive a warning.

I agree, it is up to the mods to have a look at this, I will pm and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Nah, our best looking ones are much better than their average ones.

Their ugly ones take uglyness to a new level though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe that's his preference.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Nah, our best looking ones are much better looking than their average ones. I've seen some truly jaw-dropping women on these shores. And yes, they were Irish.

Ever been to Prague? There's women working in McDonalds that would put the Irish models to shame.

And boards is still viewable by everyone. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion. If she finds it offensive, let her talk to the mods and see what they say. If they ban the word you can have your say and see what happens.

Besides, it's a private forum, you have millions of others to go to if you dislike the censorship

Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Ever been to Prague? There's women working in McDonalds that would put the Irish models to shame.

Just outta curiousty how do they like Irish lads? :o
    Thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

For many women, the word 'slag' is just as derogatory a term as the 'N' word would be to a black person.

About 9 years younger than then or so. Just curious did you feel that it should be removed when you saw the title/read the first post or did you come back to it? Because I didn't evne think about it till your one mentioned she reported it and it made sense that slag does only describe a girl.

I was drawn in by the whole furore of seeming anti-women posts when I logged on last night after the Khan fight.

Is is right to ask is someone (and not some fake TV persona) a housemate, if they are a slag or a prostitute and boards.ie are OK with that???

For many women, the word 'slag' is just as derogatory a term as the 'N' word would be to a black person.
    I would have thought that'd be a four letter word beginning with C, no? Or are we just more accustomed to that word in Ireland?

Just outta curiousty how do they like Irish lads? :o

A lot more than they like the English lads I can tell ya.

I was drawn in by the whole furore of seeming anti-women posts when I logged on last night after the Khan fight.

Is is right to ask is someone (and not some fake TV persona) a housemate, if they are a slag or a prostitute and boards.ie are OK with that???

I think only Hot Lips or whatever she changed her name to (or whoever does be on now) mods AH at night. So yeah, it probably slipped through the radar or they're discussing it. Message one of the active ones and see what happens?
    A lot more than they like the English lads I can tell ya.
    Alright and where on the internet can I meet them and get them to pay for a ticket to get me to them? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Sappa wrote: »
    Irish women seem to be very jealous of any foreign attractive girl,I have been told this by a lot of foreign women having had negative experiences in pubs and niteclubs.
    Maybe it's a threat issue with them,this is generally only with the younger crowd or theclittle princesses as a poster put it.

Hmmm, it's interesting, if an Irish woman told you women were jealous of her, would you take it at face value? If not, why is it ok for a foreign woman to claim as much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement