Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

It already exists that certain words aren't allowed in threads/ thread titles. I can ask that this one be looked at and added to the list.

Again, freedom of speech doesn't mean you are allowed to say whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you referred to some-one at work as a slag (even talking about them not to them) what would happen? People would be offended and you would most likely receive a warning.

I agree, it is up to the mods to have a look at this, I will pm and see what they say.

Why would you equate Boards.ie with a place of employment?

Anyway, I know freedom of speech doesnt allow you to say whatever you want whenever you want, but my opinion is that getting offended by a word as tame as "slag" and wanting it banned from thread titles is a little hysterical.

If the thread title offends you, don't read the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Alright and where on the internet can I meet them and get them to pay for a ticket to get me to them? :D

If I knew that I wouldn't be here on borads. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think only Hot Lips or whatever she changed her name to (or whoever does be on now) mods AH at night. So yeah, it probably slipped through the radar or they're discussing it. Message one of the active ones and see what happens?

Alright and where on the internet can I meet them and get them to pay for a ticket to get me to them? :D

I reported it this morning, it was the other thread, Irish Women that I saw last night- sweeping generalisations agogo but that it par for the course on boards...

women, gays, unemployed, PS Workers, immigrants...

Funny though most choruses seem to echo of how mens rights are diminished by any changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Do educate me: how does one ignore a thread with words one doesn't like when they don't know what f**king thread says what without f**king reading it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Well one thing I do think is true...

A lot of women in this country aged between 17-25 have a real princess complex, with the way they view themselves and what they expect from their partners(boyfriends). Don't know if its a maturity thing or when they get that bit older they lower their standards/expectations or just get a reality check.

What a load of bull. I have a daughter who is 17. I've tried to teach her that under no circumstance should she lower her standards or expectations when it come to the way she views herself and what she expects from present and future boyfriends. :rolleyes:
    Incitement to hatred? Are you even remotely serious?

Saying that trivialises the real issues that minority communities have faced in the past and today.

Are you even remotely serious?
    Pa Dee wrote: »
    On your monthlies?
    There is factual, imperial and quantifiable evidence that her whining could be caused by this
    Every gf, female collegue or acquaintance I have known undergoes a change of personality when on their monthlies. It's obvious and easy to spot

I haven't enough hours in the day to spend time reporting these amongst others of his wonderful posts.
    Except it was a joke. Would it have made it better if it was a man he said it about? Or do you just not get the joke in general?

You were doing well there for a while and then this.
    BTW, have you thought about PMing the (I assume) guys that you have an issue with? It could probably be that they did make a joke and honestly don't have a problem. I know if I offend someone I'd gladly say sorry. The posters could just be ignorant of the fact that offended you.

:pac::pac: PM'ing? You must be joking. It just opens the floodgates of horny youngsters looking for a ride.
    As said earlier, it is normally a small group of young lads who don't know better and are still growing up.

Yup, matching the 17-25 year old princesses there are the 17-25 year old men of the world (for that read boys) who spend social time joking about gays, women, 'foreigners', domestic violence, violence but it's ok because they are speaking tongue-in-cheek. It's difficult to take them seriously in any context. Also if you repeat a thing often enough, which they certainly do, how long before they actually believe it.
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah there's far worse places than Ireland for sexism. Irish men do tend to do quite well with foreign women so they can't be that bad. Look at the middle-east and even south America. Irish men are nowhere near as bad.

We don't live in the Middle East or even South America. We have to make do with what we can get so it would be nice to see an improvement. As for Irish men having an easier time of it chatting up foreign women that could be down to the fact that there is a language barrier and the foreign women don't know what they are letting themselves in for. :D

• Advertisement

Why would you equate Boards.ie with a place of employment?

Anyway, I know freedom of speech doesnt allow you to say whatever you want whenever you want, but my opinion is that getting offended by a word as tame as "slag" and wanting it banned from thread titles is a little hysterical.

to you the word "Slag" is tame- to others its not.

I thinking asking if a fellow housemate is a slag or a prostitute is highly unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I lurk the Lady's Lounge sub-forum many times. What guy doesn't? One thing I noticed - the lack of man-bashing going on in the Lady's Lounge threads.

I have to applaud you ladies for being so, erm, lady-like in your convos!

Maybe the lads should stop the keyboard warrior syndrome and have a guys night in eating Sultana and Chocolate Digestives in front of the TV at 2PM on a Tuesday for once!

Get off your precious boards, and meet a few wimmens.

Learn a thing or two from the wimmens

Already know how to iron and make a nice cup of tea, mate. But, thanks for the advice.

Chill. Only joking, I love the wimmens. Up with skirts and down with pants an' all dat.

For many women, the word 'slag' is just as derogatory a term as the 'N' word would be to a black person.

BWAHHAHAHAHA....Haha Jesus!

Really? hahahaha

That is my new favourite quote!

(sorry if the word Jesus offends a different religious group)

Really?

Yes.
    Why is it hard to understand?

My ignore list has grown considerably in the last 12 hours!

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »

I thinking asking if a fellow housemate is a slag or a prostitute is highly unfair.

so what would be acceptable way of phrasing it or should we not be allowed to call a person's sexual activity in to question at all?

so what would be acceptable way of phrasing it or should we not be allowed to call a person's sexual activity in to question at all?

How a nice gender neutral term like: slut (for the ladies) and man-slut for the lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

As for Irish men having an easier time of it chatting up foreign women that could be down to the fact that there is a language barrier and the foreign women don't know what they are letting themselves in for. :D

Or it could be down to the fact that the foreign women are not as defensive and don't automatically assume you're looking for a shag when you say hello to them.

How a nice gender neutral term like: slut (for the ladies) and man-slut for the lads?

how about we drop sluts full stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

BWAHHAHAHAHA....Haha Jesus!

Really? hahahaha

That is my new favourite quote!

(sorry if the word Jesus offends a different religious group)

Glad you got a laugh out of it.

I suppose you'd be alright with your mother, sister, daughter or girlfriend being called a slag so.... Sure, it's just an innocuous word, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

isn't it about time ye women got the sunday dinner on:pac:

fran17 wrote: »

When does your mammy have yours ready?

how about we drop sluts full stop?
    Yeah but what are you going to call someone that sleeps around?

I know! I'm starving here! You'd have thought they'd understood we need them to cook. :D

I suppose you'd be alright with your mother, sister, daughter or girlfriend being called a slag so.... Sure, it's just an innocuous word, right?

Lemme guess: he has no kids, no sisters, no gf :pac: and he hates his mother

Yes.
    Why is it hard to understand?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps its just because I don't actively seek to be offended by things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

the dunne wrote: »

How about not giving a **** if a woman is getting laid more than you. And calling her nothing.

Or - call her a stud,

• Advertisement

This coming from someone who thinks rape is a good thing to make jokes of- thats very tame.

How about not giving a **** if a woman is getting laid more than you. And calling her nothing.

Or - call her a stud,

Because a stud is a f**king idiotic word. And I was going on about both males and females. I don't particulary care if a girl is getting laid.
    Just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps its just because I don't actively seek to be offended by things.

No, you just seek to actively ignore when you do offend someone.

When does your mammy have yours ready?
    i have a woman to do that but its never as good as the mammys.this generation aint a patch on the last one...

I would be ok with it if they acted like one.

Yeah but what are you going to call someone that sleeps around?

I know! I'm starving here! You'd have thought they'd understood we need them to cook. :D

Lemme guess: he has no kids, no sisters, no gf :pac: and he hates his mother

I don't know, maybe we can let the Catholic Church give us some guidance on that one- chuck her in a laundry???

Okay so you would be fine with your daughter being a slut that sleeps with anything for a few euro to get a pint in a pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Fact of it is slut/slag is a derogatory term. Its little different than saying women who sleep around are pieces of shít. I'm sure not many actually think that so why would they use terms which infer that ?

No need - my hot foreign man is doing it for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »
    That said that's also too easy an explanation as I know plenty of well sorted, socially mature men who have no shortage of female interaction who also think along these lines, the "foreign women are better" meme being particularly strong among those.

Well, that's even more daft, as they are supposed to be mature. :confused:

• Advertisement

No need - my hot foreign man is doing it for me ;)

Right I think we get it: none of us are good enough for you cause you're an Irish woman. :D

No, you just seek to actively ignore when you do offend someone.

Nope. I can't be held responsible for what everyone finds offensive. There is too broad a scope to cover there. As long as I don't deliberately set out to offend someone, that's pretty much all i can do

Nope. I can't be held responsible for what everyone finds offensive. There is too broad a scope to cover there. As long as I don't deliberately set out to offend someone, that's pretty much all i can do

Great! Now that you know it offends at least one person on boards, you won't be calling anyone a slag again, yes?

This coming from someone who thinks rape is a good thing to make jokes of- thats very tame.
    think you should explain yourself there?

No you wouldn't.

I can:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79678706&postcount=78

I assume he means that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Or it could be down to the fact that the foreign women are not as defensive and don't automatically assume you're looking for a shag when you say hello to them.

They haven't had the benefit of our experience.

No you wouldn't.
    You'd really be surprised at how ignorant some people can be. He's probably quite serious.

Okay so you would be fine with your daughter being a slut that sleeps with anything for a few euro to get a pint in a pub?

Haha...my fault there. Probably phrased that wrong.

What i meant was, I would have no problem with them being called a slut if they acted like one.

I was not saying that I'd be ok if they acted like sluts

Right I think we get it: none of us are good enough for you cause you're an Irish woman. :D

Damn straight! No Irish man could possibly come close to my lovely Luigi.

What i meant was, I would have no problem with them being called a slut if they acted like one.

Ah, I get you.

But what about this scenario: you have a 14 year old girl, she gets hammered, has sex with some random fella, ends up pregnant. Now nobody knows who the guy was.

She's a single mother, 14 years old and no idea who got her pregnant.
    Would you be fine with me (and say... 50 boardsies) all agreeing and calling the girl a whore to her face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ah, I get you.

But what about this scenario: you have a 14 year old girl, she gets hammered, has sex with some random fella, ends up pregnant. Now nobody knows who the guy was.

Would you be fine with me (and say... 50 boardsies) all agreeing and calling the girl a whore to her face?

So you are saying young teenage parents are sluts?

So the excuses so far are:

1. Report it - really? You think someone has enough time or emotional energy to pinpoint and report every sexist thing said in AH? There's no point in reporting single comments, it's the general attitude of many posters that needs to be addressed.

2. The majority of AH users are male, so it's only natural there's a lot of moaning about women. - Em, so you're saying that minorities should expect discrimination? So in that case, seeing as how we have a majority of white people in Ireland, it's ok to be racist too? Anyway, the population of AH might be a majority of males, but the population of Ireland is not, so unless the posters in question are living solely on the internet (maybe possible), it doesn't explain their mindset.

3. It's a joke, and people who complain about it just have no sense of humour. So what if it's a joke? It's a joke at the expense of an entire gender and propagates a sexist attitude. When someone (male or female) points out that a comment is sexist, and you turn around and try to make out that they have no sense of humour, all you're doing is making them scared to stand up for women in future. In fact I'd say the "it's only a joke, get a life" type comments probably create more sexism, by making people feel like they're socially obliged to join in or they'll be seen as an uptight freak.

I am all too used to being accused of being a hysterical female when I'm not ok with something. It's so offensive. But even as a woman I'm guilty of being sexist at times. I've told sexist jokes, made sexist comments, and more times than I could count I've said nothing when male friends or female friends have been sexist. It's not ok, and we should say so. Good for you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You do realise slut doesnt just mean promiscuous right ? Its a derogatory term. So what about being promiscuous makes a person of less worth than someone who isnt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

As a female, I laugh at it.

I genuinely think its funny to read. Same as if it was about men. People are so quick to be offended. I'm yet to read something on here that remotely offends me, but if I did I just wouldn't read it.

I was on a forum before this and left because the majority of the women were so touchy. Came here and thought, ok good, my kind of humour. Most things are fair game.

It's all banter in my opinion. Have to say when I read that post about punching her in the face I laughed out loud. Of course it was a joke but it made me laugh. I was in an abusive relationship for years and still saw the funny side. Shock humour.

Unless I'm twisted in the head...in which case disregard this post :P

See Brutal's post- very short memory- and a very short ban it seems too.

eviltwin wrote: »
    So you are saying young teenage parents are sluts?
    Oh no. I'm not saying that. I'm saying to a lot of people that would consider a 14 year old girl who has no idea who got her pregnant and got pregnant as a result of drunken sex would be a slut. And I would like to know if he would be fine with me and 99 other people calling her a slut to her face.

thats in a completely different context,no mention of a woman at all in that,but in hindsight it was in bad humour.not relevant here though

thats in a completely different context,no mention of a woman at all in that,but in hindsight it was in bad humour.not relevant here though

Er mate, rape is still rape. Man or woman, it's still rape.
    True, neither here nor there but you can understand why people would think you find it okay to make jokes about rape.

Ah, I get you.

Just because someone has sex and falls pregnant doesnt make them a whore. So of course not!

And it would be a little mean for 50 people from a message board to meet up in real life with the express intention to approach a young teen mother to call her a whore to her face.

I never said anything about a woman

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement