Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You do realise slut doesnt just mean promiscuous right ? Its a derogatory term. So what about being promiscuous makes a person of less worth than someone who isnt ?

I never said it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Just because someone has sex and falls pregnant doesnt make them a whore. So of course not!

And it would be a little mean for 50 people from a message board to meet up in real life with the express intention to approach a young teen mother to call her a whore to her face.

You're avoiding the question (I think), I'm not too sure with the "of course not!". :o

So a simple yes or no: would you be fine with me and 99 other people calling her a slut to her face if we felt she was one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Just because someone has sex and falls pregnant doesnt make them a whore. So of course not!

And it would be a little mean for 50 people from a message board to meet up in real life with the express intention to approach a young teen mother to call her a whore to her face.

is it ok online?

syndeyfife wrote: »
    As a female, I laugh at it.

I genuinely think its funny to read. Same as if it was about men. People are so quick to be offended. I'm yet to read something on here that remotely offends me, but if I did I just wouldn't read it.

I was on a forum before this and left because the majority of the women were so touchy. Came here and thought, ok good, my kind of humour. Most things are fair game.

It's all banter in my opinion. Have to say when I read that post about punching her in the face I laughed out loud. Of course it was a joke but it made me laugh. I was in an abusive relationship for years and still saw the funny side. Shock humour.

Unless I'm twisted in the head...in which case disregard this post :P

Awwwww...thats what I wanted to say ages ago but couldnt phrase it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »
    It might well be why less Irish women go for foreign guys because they won't take shíte like that?

No, Wibbs, they don't go for us because we're ugly, remember? :pac:

Awwwww...thats what I wanted to say ages ago but couldnt phrase it right.

You're a female that was in an abusive relationship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You're avoiding the question (I think), I'm not too sure with the "of course not!". :o

So a simple yes or no: would you be fine with me and 99 other people calling her a slut to her face if we felt she was one?

But why would you think she was one? :confused: Someone who has a child has physical prove they have had sex but that's all it is, it doesn't mean they have slept with everyone in town or have a casual attitude to sex. You could say its evidence of bad luck more than anything else.

eviltwin wrote: »
    But why would you think she was one? :confused: Someone who has a child has physical prove they have had sex but that's all it is, it doesn't mean they have slept with everyone in town or have a casual attitude to sex. You could say its evidence of bad luck more than anything else.

No no no. you're all misunderstanding. That guy (woman?) said they'd be fine with their daughter/mother/sister/etc being called a slut or slag if they are one.

So, if I felt they were one, logically, he's fine with me calling them one.

I'm not thinking or calling her one. I'm asking if I honestly felt she was one, could me and 99 people who feel the same, go ahead and call her a slut to her face and have the post be fine with it.

It would depend on why you thought she was a whore.

You suggested that it was because she was a teen mother who was drunk one night and fell pregnant.

Is that why you would call her a whore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

No no no. you're all misunderstanding. That guy (woman?) said they'd be fine with their daughter/mother/sister/etc being called a slut or slag if they are one.

So, if I felt they were one, logically, he's fine with me calling them one.

I'm not thinking or calling her one. I'm asking if I honestly felt she was one, could me and 99 people who feel the same, go ahead and call her a slut to her face and have the post be fine with it.

...that really does mean that you're calling the 14 year old a slut/slag though. I think your example has backfired a wee bit.

It would depend on why you thought she was a whore.

You suggested that it was because she was a teen mother who was drunk one night and fell pregnant.

Is that why you would call her a whore?

Yes! Exactly that. In this scenario me and my 99 other friends all firmly believe the girl is a whore/slut/slag for getting pregnant at 14 and not knowing who she slept with.
    ...that really does mean that you're calling the 14 year old a slut/slag though. I think your example has backfired a wee bit.

Yes, scenario wise. In reality I wouldn't dream of calling a child a slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ever been to Prague? There's women working in McDonalds that would put the Irish models to shame.

Yup, I have. Also, never said there weren't good-looking women there. Just have seen evidence to the contrary that our best-looking are their average. Bull. Shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

efb wrote: »
    I never said anything about a woman
    not in as many words no,but if you take the nature of this thread and your quote then i think anyone can see what your underhanded tactic is

Yes! Exactly that. In this scenario me and my 99 other friends all firmly believe the girl is a whore/slut/slag for getting pregnant at 14 and not knowing who she slept with.

I think if that was a real life case I would be looking at why a 14 yr old is acting that way rather than firing insults at her.

I think if that was a real life case I would be looking at why a 14 yr old is acting that way rather than firing insults at her.

She's a slut, that's why she acts that way. I assume the poster would be fine with me calling her that because I feel she's a slut.

• Advertisement

fran17 wrote: »
    not in as many words no,but if you take the nature of this thread and your quote then i think anyone can see what your underhanded tactic is

:confused:

not in any words

what underhand tactic?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Damn straight! No Irish man could possibly come close to my lovely Luigi.

ah i knew there was something more to it. what an awful generalisation to make.

She's a slut, that's why she acts that way. I assume the poster would be fine with me calling her that because I feel she's a slut.

But why do you feel the need to judge? Does it really bother you that much how much sex other people are getting? :confused:

I think (I could be wrong) his point is that he made the joke and he thought it was funny. And that you're taking it out of that context and making it look like he makes rape jokes 24/7

Though it was still pretty messy to make the rape joke in a thread about rape.

Scenario wise, I would despise you and your 99 friends. and wouldnt be happy.

Ridiculous question really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Hi eviltwin, you need to go back a few pages :D

Brutal Deluxe is saying we shouldn't call perople slags/sluts.

He's now in a conversation with some-one who said we shouldn't be offfended by the term slag/slut, and he asked him 'would you be okay if some-one called your family member a slut', the person said 'yes if they were one',

And now he is using the analog of 'would you be okay if your teenage daughter got pregnant and everyone called her a slut'...really just trying to make the poster see how the term could be offensive.

But why do you feel the need to judge? Does it really bother you that much how much sex other people are getting? :confused:

What? No. He said he's fine with his daughter being called a slut if she is one.

I gave him a scenario and said that me and 99 other people feel she is one in this scenario so I want to know if he's sticking to his word and would be fine with her being called a slut.
    Scenario wise, I would despise you and your 99 friends. and wouldnt be happy.

Ridiculous question really.

Okay but would you tell me to stop it? Would you be offended in any way, shape or form? I mean she's clearly a slut getting pregnant to some random guy because she was too drunk and gave it up to any guy who wants it.

What? No. He said he's fine with his daughter being called a slut if she is one.

I gave him a scenario and said that me and 99 other people feel she is one in this scenario so I want to know if he's sticking to his word and would be fine with her being called a slut.

Okay but would you tell me to stop it? Would you be offended in any way, shape or form? I mean she's clearly a slut getting pregnant to some random guy because she was too drunk and gave it up to any guy who wants it.

So you would assume because she is a pregnant 14 yr old she is a slut? I would see a vulnerable child who needs help.

So you would assume because she is a pregnant 14 yr old she is a slut? I would see a vulnerable child who needs help.
    You're missing the point completely. I'll PM you to explain it.

So you are saying that a 14 year old who gets pregnant is a slut or not? Or is this a "scenario"? Because I don't feel that a 14 year old who falls pregnant is a slut, I would not be ok for her to be branded one. So yeah, I'll stick to my word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

VEN wrote: »
    ah i knew there was something more to it. what an awful generalisation to make.

'Twas merely a jokey retort on my part... there isn't actually a hot, dinner making Luigi in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

As a priest I find those religion bashing threads appalling, now we all know that some priests are bad m'kay, but the majority are grand. Let's ban people that say anything bad about priests.
    In fact let's have one huge discussion thread where we can all have a say in what we want banned from discussion. It's much handier than discussing how silly someone's point of view is and that way we can talk about more interesting stuff like skinny jeans and going to the zoo.

I think (I could be wrong) his point is that he made the joke and he thought it was funny. And that you're taking it out of that context and making it look like he makes rape jokes 24/7

Though it was still pretty messy to make the rape joke in a thread about rape.

My point being, if he thought that was funny, appropriate, it doesn't surprise me he wouldn't find anything wrong with the slag one.

You're missing the point completely. I'll PM you to explain it.

No I get what you are saying, I'm saying in the context of the picture you have painted I wouldn't call a 14 yr old a slut. It would be the last thing I would call her or him. I think its a bad example to use.

So you are saying that a 14 year old who gets pregnant is a slut or not? Or is this a "scenario"? Because I don't feel that a 14 year old who falls pregnant is a slut, I would not be ok for her to be branded one. So yeah, I'll stick to my word.

So you don't think it's acceptable for me to call a 14 year old that's pregnant a slut if she's your daughter?

You just went back on what you said. You offended a few posters and you clearly offended yourself by using the word yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

not in any words

what underhand tactic?
    look if you cant see or ignore the link between the two then i aint spending the next half hour explaining it.shame on you

fran17 wrote: »
    look if you cant see or ignore the link between the two then i aint spending the next half hour explaining it.shame on you

I was explaining how I came to understand your moral reasoning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I never said it was.

Yes you did, you said you have no problem with someone acting in that manner being called a slut/slag. Which is a derogatory term. So if you think that behavior warrants being called those things you think they must be of less worth.

Or are you arguing that its ok to call someone something without even knowing what it is your saying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

how about we drop sluts full stop?

sure, we can drop them off at the nearest bus stop, they're not staying in my fancy beamer.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Yes you did, you said you have no problem with someone acting in that manner being called a slut/slag. Which is a derogatory term. So if you think that behavior warrants being called those things you think they must be of less worth.

Or are you arguing that its ok to call someone something without even knowing what it is your saying ?

So insults in general should be outlawed?

people should be aware of the message that words that they use conveys perhaps?

So you don't think it's acceptable for me to call a 14 year old that's pregnant a slut if she's your daughter?

You just went back on what you said. You offended a few posters and you clearly offended yourself by using the word yourself.

Nope, not because she is my daughter in your "scenario", just because I feel that you are wrong in your reasoning for calling her a slut.

It depends. Are we allowed to call your mother a slut if we feel she's acting like one?

Of course not.

Just be careful with what you say. That's all you have to do.

I chatted to one of the mods, and they are going to have a discussion about the issue in the mod's forum.

Not many mods on today as it's Sunday, so will probably be tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Nope, not because she is my daughter in your "scenario", just because I feel that you are wrong in your reasoning for calling her a slut.
    There you go! And a lot of us didn't think it was fine to call the other person's roomate a slut or a slag.

Same situation.

It depends. Are we allowed to call your mother a slut if we feel she's acting like one?

Of course not.

Just be careful with what you say. That's all you have to do.

What if he feels that you're allowed to do things, even if, shocking though this is, he doesn't like them?

Why would anyone use the word slut at all? I don't understand it. Fair enough if you don't like the way someone behaves but to actually call them names over it? Does it make people feel better about themselves or what? How bloody childish is that?

I chatted to one of the mods, and they are going to have a discussion about the issue in the mod's forum.

Not many mods on today as it's Sunday, so will probably be tomorrow.

Serious response: well done :)
    Joke response: I've been arguing to get the pictures of Pamela Anderson put up on the walls and they said no :/ Did you bribe them? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Your the one trying to validate the insult and pass it off as an accurate description. Your saying sleeping around warrants being insulted and called derogatory names. If thats your opinion then you must think there is something wrong with what they are doing.

Be so kind as to explain why what they do is wrong and warrants being insulted for it. Or I'll drop back to my original assumption which is that you actually didnt know the meaning of the words you are using.

What if he feels that you're allowed to do things, even if, shocking though this is, he doesn't like them?

That doesn't mean you have to use insults to describe things.

• Advertisement

People used to use the term slut in the scenario of young unmarried mothers just as much as women sleeping around. A horrible term in both cases. Nobody would be happy with their family member called a slut, and nobody is happy being called a slut/slag. Horrible, horrible terms.

I'm really happy to see men joining in the debate here, and seeing that a term that doesn't directly apply to them can be offensive to another group. That's not easy to do sometimes.

It's all about having a good place for everyone :D.

I'm really happy to see men joining in the debate here, and seeing that a term that doesn't directly apply to them can be offensive to another group. That's not easy to do sometimes.

It's all about having a good place for everyone :D.

It was easy enough. A girl I knew had a simillar experience to the scenario I posted. So I just remembered how horrible it was to he being called a slut when she got pregnant (long story but not gonna tell it).

I don't think anyone is actually ignorant of the offensive nature. They're just oblivious and have to think for a little bit and then it clicks "oh right, it's offensive because of X reason".

That doesn't mean you have to use insults to describe things.

Think about it this way. The term for the intellectually disabled has changed several times, as a direct attempt to make it more acceptable/less derogatory. It's been idiot, handicap, mentally retarded, special and probably others. Each time the new term came to be an insult in it's own right. Why? Because it has nothing to do with the term, it's the underlying concept that people are using as an insult.

You could replace the word slut with anything else, including a phrase rather than a single word, and it'll eventually take on the same negativity, because it has the same meaning. What it comes down to is how people feel about promiscuity, in its male and female variants.

Think about it this way. The term for the intellectually disabled has changed several times, as a direct attempt to make it more acceptable/less derogatory. It's been idiot, handicap, mentally retarded, special and probably others. Each time the new term came to be an insult in it's own right. Why? Because it has nothing to do with the term, it's the underlying concept that people are using as an insult.

You could replace the word slut with anything else, including a phrase rather than a single word, and it'll eventually take on the same negativity, because it has the same meaning. What it comes down to is how people feel about promiscuity, in its male and female variants.

And language evolves. We make it evolve. So when the new word gets too insulting to a gender, we change it.
    Or, better yet we say: that person sleeps with a lot of people.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement