Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

uch wrote: »
    I Love me aunty madge

i love your auntys vadge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That time again, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I don't use the word 'femnazi', because doing so is making a concession to the insecure men who use it. And I make no such concessions.
    I am never going to apologise for being a feminist, because I really don't care about how women standing up for themselves makes you feel threatened or insecure.

Furthermore: one woman looking at you in an unplesant manner on a night out does not make you a victim. Nor does it invalidate feminism.

Ugh, I am so out of f*cks to give at this stage.

(Also if I see any of the users on here who have made misogynistic posts bring up "mens rights" issues at some point in the future, you will probably have to resuscitate me because I will have passed out from laughing. Congrats.)

Why did you bother then with the big rant then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've had some majorly traumatic experiences with a couple of Irish men, but I don't feel the need to come on here and slate all Irish men because of it.
    The first post of yours which I remember noticing didn't include such a charitable attitude towards Lidl when you had one bad experience there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76538417&postcount=1

Are men and Lidl really so very different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Ficheall wrote: »
    The first post of yours which I remember noticing didn't include such a charitable attitude towards Lidl when you had one bad experience there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76538417&postcount=1

She said "usually". She wasn't making a sweeping generalization at all.
    It was her first time there. She was asking a question. Albeit annoyed but still asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

If you put me next to a Lidl you wouldn't know which was which.

If you put me next to a Lidl you wouldn't know which was which.

They're both so cheap and tacky

Edit: I didn't mean you personally!!! I meant men and Lidl, before I get banned!!

token101 wrote: »

And stocked with a delicious selection of baked goods.

token101 wrote: »

Edit: I didn't mean you personally!!! I meant men and Lidl, before I get banned!!

No worries, feel free to insult me all you like.

And stocked with a delicious selection of baked goods.

And built by the Germans. You know anything built by the Germans has to be quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Slag is a nasty, negative word. It doesn't have a fixed definition as the name caller will state it about a woman at any time believing that just because they say it is so, then it is true. More often than not they have no idea what they are talking about.

To all you name callers - Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Here's an article that may give you pause:

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/internet/2012/07/what-online-harassment-looks
    This is what online harassment looks like
    Obscene images, hate sites and a game where people are invited to beat you up have been inflicted on Anita Sarkeesian.
    BY HELEN LEWIS PUBLISHED 06 JULY 2012 9:30

An online game invites players to "beat up Anita Sarkeesian".
    When I first wrote about the sexist abuse of women online, collating the experiences of nearly a dozen writers, the response was largely positive. Many hadn't been aware there was a problem; they were shocked. Others had assumed that they were the only ones whose every word on the web was greeted with a torrent of abusive, threatening comments.

<snip>

Worth reading the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I don't get the male posters who say 'the forum is going to be anti-women because it's 80% male'

Exactly – it’s a really strange logic – if I’m in all female company why would we naturally be anti-male? That group includes our dads, brothers, uncles, sons, neighbours, friends, colleagues ect.

I find the idea of war between men and women absurd yet people seem to think it’s the natural order – I live in a society of people not a gender blinkered world.

Most people I know who call themselves feminists are in favour of women rights – they are not anti-men. I’m in favour of human and civil rights for all people – regardless of gender. Why the war rhetoric & opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, you can usually find some men in a Lidl, but how many Lidls will you find in a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I think we're all great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I agree with you Dark Crystal. I personally don't use AH as much as I used to because of the same regurgitated crap. Loosely veiling woman bashing threads and labelling it as 'humour' doesn't fly with me. I'm not at all surprised one of your replies here suggests you have your period. Fücking idiotic shyte like that is exactly what turns me off using the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Abi wrote: »
    I agree with you Dark Crystal. I personally don't use AH as much as I used to because of the same regurgitated crap. Loosely veiling woman bashing threads and labelling it as 'humour' doesn't fly with me. I'm not at all surprised one of your replies here suggests you have your period. Fücking idiotic shyte like that is exactly what turns me off using the forum.

Well when men are harshly rejected on a night out they're told to not take it personally and move on. Maybe the women should do the same with the insulting posts in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I personally don't use AH as much as I used to because of the same regurgitated crap.
    The internet consists almost entirely of regurgitated crap though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Daveysil wrote:

Well when men are harshly rejected on a night out they're told to not take it personally and move on. Maybe the women should do the same with the insulting posts in AH.
    But not all women treat men like that. I never have nor will I ever. I'm respectful towards men because it is how I would like to be treated. This generalisation that all women are nasty bitches is fücking tiring to read over and over in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Then you probably wouldnt like some of my threads.

I agree, there is quite a bit of anti Irish women on boards. The best thing you can do is to read and see how much of it actually makes sense, regardless of how much you don't want to acknowledge it. Not all of it is just thoughtless bitterness/taking the mick. Much of it is actually holds weight.

Because its a gender issue it will of course generate extra tension, thats why we have boards and mods in order to have a clean, non trolling, responsible thread but also to allow as much freedom of speech on these matters and be frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

The internet consists almost entirely of regurgitated crap though.

And a lot single men.

Regurgitated crap + single men + AH = If your upset by the outcome then this aint the place for you.

This victim shít is getting old. Your either equal or you need special treatment. Pick one so we all know what tune to dance to and shut the fcuk up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Leaving aside the humor people talk out of their experience. Maybe wimmin aren't seen the way they think they should be. Shrug.

guitarzero wrote: »
    I agree, there is quite a bit of anti Irish women on boards. The best thing you can do is to read and see how much of it actually makes sense, regardless of how much you don't want to acknowledge it. Not all of it is just thoughtless bitterness/taking the mick. Much of it is actually holds weight.

I agree. Some of it does hold weight. Men can have an opinion without been misogynistic. Just like female posters can make the odd complaint about men without been man-hating feminists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

It is alarming how many use "you lot" or "them lot" arguments here. All from sweeping generalisations they've amassed. Not just about women.
    Many are probably using AH to rant but I'm sure a lot are serious. You can find arguments based purely on ignorance/prejudice in even the most eloquently written "take me seriously" posts. It's just depressing that so many people think in those lines. I don't find AH more offensive to women in particular though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yeah, there's a load of bitterness amongst a certain swathe of male posters towards (irish) females. If your unlucky/unable to pull, then that's probably down to your approach tbh. Letting it seep into a discussion board continously ain't a good sign.

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Bit let for a reply but... wtf does being rejected by some random bitch have to do with posting threads about why all women are bitches instead of just complaining about that one girl?

Truth be told, the odd time I actually bothered reading any of these threads, I was surprised by the vitriol and all-out foam-at-the-mouth hatred they tend to be dripping with.

I decided that the most likely reason was that the posters in question were talking out of sheer sexual frustration, which most likely was based on their personalities.
    So I figured the best thing to do would be exactly what women in real life already seem to be doing, and ignore these losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Because its a gender issue it will of course generate extra tension, thats why we have boards and mods in order to have a clean, non trolling, responsible thread but also to allow as much freedom of speech on these matters and be frank.

None of the links the OP has included hold any weight. The best thing we can do is to point out to posters when they're being unfair or basing an argument along gender prejudice. Some might cop on.

No, sometimes it's made into a gender issue. E.g "I met this twat once... She was a woman.... Do other men-folk meet a lot of bitches?" or "There's this one in work who doesn't do f*** all... Women generally don't do as much in the workplace, don't you think?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't think AH is anti women, yes the same jokes are trotted out but if people ignore them they will stop.
    Adding to the charter the same as your ma etc will not benefit AH, where does it stop? If we are not careful AH will fade away with all the rules and regulations.
    A bit of banter is no harm. We should be able to have a laugh. Male and female alike.

• Advertisement

Bit let for a reply but... wtf does being rejected by some random bitch have to do with posting threads about why all women are bitches instead of just complaining about that one girl?

It could be more than one girl though. My point is - why take it personal in either scenario? If a man gets treated badly by a few women on a night out, nobody's forcing him to come onto boards and complain about it. Nobody's forcing the women to respond to it either. The men are told not to not take in personally. I'm saying why doesn't the OP do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Red Hand wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a load of bitterness amongst a certain swathe of male posters towards (irish) females. If your unlucky/unable to pull, then that's probably down to your approach tbh. Letting it seep into a discussion board continously ain't a good sign.
    It is the same group of guys over and over all right.

If I started threads moaning about men (I don't think that way thankfully) I'd be rightly slated for it. But women get defensive about all the venom here and they're being unreasonable. Feck that.

It could be more than one girl though. My point is - why take it personal in either scenario? If a man gets treated badly by a few women on a night out, nobody's forcing him to come onto boards and complain about it. Nobody's forcing the women to respond to it either. The men are told not to take in personally. I'm saying why doesn't the OP do the same.

Well there's a big difference between: I went on the pull and got meeting 5 women, all of them turned to be crazy bitches, ever have a night like that or meet any women like that? and saying "I went on the pull and this bitch turned me down, said I was too ugly, the lot of them are complete bitches far as I'm concerned".

One of them opens a discussion where both men and women can partake and offer support and advice and the other is just going to piss off an entire gender.

It'd be no different if a woman posted here and said something like "I asked this man to help me move a heavy box, he said no, so I asked another and he said no. Men are useless prícks"

It's personal because it doesn't attack the few women he had a bad experience with, it attacks women as a whole which is really stupid.

It could be more than one girl though. My point is - why take it personal in either scenario? If a man gets treated badly by a few women on a night out, nobody's forcing him to come onto boards and complain about it. Nobody's forcing the women to respond to it either. The men are told not to not take in personally. I'm saying why doesn't the OP do the same?

I haven't, and I won't, but I think one of the reasons women start feeling offended is the sheer number of these threads.
    One or two threads, most will simply ignore. 4 or 5, people will get a little sensitive. More than that, and I wouldn't call it unreasonable to take offense.

But not all women treat men like that. I never have nor will I ever. I'm respectful towards men because it is how I would like to be treated. This generalisation that all women are nasty bitches is fücking tiring to read over and over in AH.

Well not all men are the same either. Some people make insulting comments on boards, and some do it in real life regardless of gender.

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't think AH is anti women, yes the same jokes are trotted out but if people ignore them they will stop.
    Adding to the charter the same as your ma etc will not benefit AH, where does it stop? If we are not careful AH will fade away with all the rules and regulations.
    A bit of banter is no harm. We should be able to have a laugh. Male and female alike.

Exactly, everything should be dealt with as poster to poster. If a poster is being a dick then they are being a dick. But you cant drag out an us vs them argument to try and apply it to the entire forum based on what to me looks like no big deal.

Exactly. It's no big deal *to you*

It's not banter either. Very easy to tell the difference between banter and insulting.

Oh and if a guy's preference is women who are from other countries, cool. My preference is Irish/British men. But some guys just seem to be saying Irish women are really unattractive as a whole, just to be dicks. Look at the picture threads on various Boards forums - lots and lots of beautiful Irish women.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Exactly, everything should be dealt with as poster to poster. If a poster is being a dick then they are being a dick. But you cant drag out an us vs them argument to try and apply it to the entire forum based on what to me looks like no big deal.

We are all the same really in if one posters says it we might think it's funny if another poster says it we might be pissed with them.
    I think it's the same in RL some people get away with saying something and others don't, depending on how it's said.
    If I thought someone was really offensive to male or female then I would say something.

I've been thinking of what to say to you for a bit.
    Just saw your other post you made a moment ago.

I don't think the issue anyone has is with the banter or the (overdone) "sexist" jokes like get back to the kitchen and all this. Banter and the jokes are fine. But there's a line between "jokes" and "shut up".

The problem is really annoying sweeping statements like "most Irish women are (insert trolling comment)". I personally don't really care if a woman is going to post something about how men are useless at cooking for example.
    I make more of the men vs women jokes than most people would. But it's a joke. That's it.

When you have someone saying things like "sure most Irish women are head wreckers" and the likes, it goes beyond banter and into the line of "shut up and stop being a muppet". But normally you could just report them and that's that. Except AH is really lenient with statements like that what it describes women.

That's pretty much is what I think everyone has the issue with. That srpank from Dark Crystal's thread. She was just wondering why there was a lot of threads like that lately and a few of us realized "okay, why are these stupid generalizations being allowed". I could imagine 99% of users are fine with the banter about "get back in the kitchen" and so on.

The other thing is obviously things like calling a woman a slag because she brings a man over every night. For all the person who called her a slag knows is she's a tutor in french or something.

There was many, many better ways to phrase the thing of "is she a slag or a prostitute" or whatever idiotic thing it was worded as. I don't even think the poster that posted that topic was trying to be funny. I think he was actually looking down the housemate a bit. That's pretty much why I stayed away from it. It doesn't mean it didn't annoy the heck outta me though.

I've been thinking of what to say to you for a bit.
    Just saw your other post you made a moment ago.

I don't think the issue anyone has is with the banter or the (overdone) "sexist" jokes like get back to the kitchen and all this. Banter and the jokes are fine. But there's a line between "jokes" and "shut up".

The problem is really annoying sweeping statements like "most Irish women are (insert trolling comment)". I personally don't really care if a woman is going to post something about how men are useless at cooking for example.
    I make more of the men vs women jokes than most people would. But it's a joke. That's it.

When you have someone saying things like "sure most Irish women are head wreckers" and the likes, it goes beyond banter and into the line of "shut up and stop being a muppet". But normally you could just report them and that's that. Except AH is really lenient with statements like that what it describes women.

That's pretty much is what I think everyone has the issue with. That srpank from Dark Crystal's thread. She was just wondering why there was a lot of threads like that lately and a few of us realized "okay, why are these stupid generalizations being allowed". I could imagine 99% of users are fine with the banter about "get back in the kitchen" and so on.

The other thing is obviously things like calling a woman a slag because she brings a man over every night. For all the person who called her a slag knows is she's a tutor in french or something.

There was many, many better ways to phrase the thing of "is she a slag or a prostitute" or whatever idiotic thing it was worded as. I don't even think the poster that posted that topic was trying to be funny. I think he was actually looking down the housemate a bit. That's pretty much why I stayed away from it. It doesn't mean it didn't annoy the heck outta me though.

The way I see it half the threads that are posted are done for a laugh, I don't believe most of them which is why they don't bother me.
    Some posters go with the spirit of the thread and other's don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

OP, is this the sort of thing you are highlighting:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79733435&postcount=19

There's no not wanting to acknowledge it - I and any of the women here would happily concede some women (as with some men) can be awful cuntts, nationality neither here nor there.
    The issue is with you and your coterie not wanting to acknowledge there are great women, and revelling in the insult-throwing and vitriol. It does look like ye enjoy it.

The way I see it half the threads that are posted are done for a laugh, I don't believe most of them which is why they don't bother me.

Okay I think most of them will end up having a laugh but I also think most of the posters who start them are muppets at the best of times.

I mean we'll take one of the threads right on AH on the first page.
    Title: Some Irish Women
    It has a little rant about a bad experience. All fine and dandy and then he has this completely idiotic statement:
    How ****ing nuts are some Irish women, can give it but as soon as u give it back to them they lose the rag completely

There are so many better ways to phrase that. But then it gets worse because he starts calling someone a saddo for questioning the fact that his friend might have been ugly or that he made stupid generalizations.

When someone like that is making a topic it's clearly not going to be light hearted or fun. If he had just removed the word "Irish" and wasn't a complete muppet when he got challeneged, it'd could have been a comical thread.

Going against the spirit of the forum is forwned upon, we get that. But being a muppet is not a good thing either. And that's not something that you should just ignore. Muppetry in threads are caused by muppets and them alone.

You can't say "I don't believe their story" or "I think it's funny" and expect everyone to be fine and dandy with it.

Onixx wrote: »
    The issue is with you and your coterie not wanting to acknowledge there are great women, and revelling in the insult-throwing and vitriol. It does look like ye enjoy it.

Who exactly is not acknowledging that there's no great women though? Who is this ye you speak of? Some people have issues with a certain group of women - not all women. Every individual is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

There certainly are alot of attractive foreign women, but having known people from all over Europe, proportionately speaking the only countries in Europe that have a vastly larger proportion of hot women than us are Slovakia, Croatia and Switzerland. Everywhere else has either roughly the same amount or decidedly lower amounts.

You're joking right? By you're estimation Irish women are more attractive then women from Scandinavia countries, Mediterranean countries, The Baltic states, etc, etc. Even the most level headed Irish woman would tell you that there is absolutely no truth in that statement and that your logic is totally and utterly flawed.

Plus you can't mention Slovakian women without mentioning women from Czech Rep or Hungary ditto Croatian women without mentioning Serbian, Slovenian, Bosnian women. Plus Switzerland is mainly made up of people from immigrant backgrounds so saying Swiss women are great without mentioning women from Germany, Italy, Austria, The Former Yugoslavia or Turkey is very short-sighted.

By the sounds of it you haven't been to many European countries and are basing your blinkered and totally bias argument for Irish women being more attractive then their European counterparts on working in a multinational :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I totally agree with dark crystal's OP and the general feeling from posters in this thread. I don't post a whole lot in AH, but I do read often, and the anti-women threads that have been popping up a lot lately are definitely hampering my enjoyment of the forum.

It's nothing to do with not "getting the humour" behind the threads imo - I have a very dark sense of humour, and I've been around boards long enough to know the AH style. Everyone finds different things funny obviously, but the problem I feel there is with the anti-women threads isn't the "banter" (argh, hate that word) that goes on, it's the pure inability of a certain subset of people to look at things in another way. Okay, one woman turns you/your friend down, how does that make her and the rest of the women in the world "stuck-up b1tches"? You can't be attracted to everyone! Why is that so hard to understand? How does the actions of one person from a specific group automatically apply all others within that group? I really don't get it :confused: Is it so difficult to come to that realisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It doesn't bother you at all that you, as an Irish woman, are automatically seen as ugly, inferior, gold-digging, egotistical, shallow and lazy?

Banter is a two way street. I see many comments about how awful Irish women are, but very few digs from women about how awful Irish men are. If all the banter is coming from just one side, when does it become just plain mean spirited?

Who exactly is not acknowledging that there's no great women though? Who is this ye you speak of? Some people have issues with a certain group of women - not all women. Every individual is different.
    Disingenuous to say there aren't people who use the type in question to have a go at all women though.

Onixx wrote: »
    Exactly. It's no big deal *to you*

It's not banter either. Very easy to tell the difference between banter and insulting.

Oh and if a guy's preference is women who are from other countries, cool. My preference is Irish/British men. But some guys just seem to be saying Irish women are really unattractive as a whole, just to be dicks. Look at the picture threads on various Boards forums - lots and lots of beautiful Irish women.

Any other forum I'd agree with you but not here. Generalizations are commonplace when someone is aggrieved about something. Some guys will always say something that most other wont agree with and there will always be posters being dicks in someones eyes.

There are attractive Irish women yes but I'd agree with the point that Irish women as a whole are not as physically attractive as maybe Lithuanian women. You prefer Irish/British men so we have established that opinion is valid. Problem is with posters who post in a certain way, and given that this is the one forum on the site where that type of posting is commonplace I see no problem with it.

9 out of 10 discussion I'm involved in has someone being a dick and has me frustrated to the point I'd love to tell them to go fcuk themselves. Is there really a difference in saying "Irish women are manky" "You on your period?" and "Retards listen to that music" "Grow some balls and man the fcuk up" ?? No there isnt. With the amount of men on the site there is going to be more men's views than women, you cant cry victim and have then censored to even it out.

If a poster is doing something they shouldnt you report it. If they are not doing anything wrong but their opinion or posting manner gets under your skin then thats your issue annoying as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

There is this strange nagging feeling that Dudess resurrected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement