Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It doesn't bother you at all that you, as an Irish woman, are automatically seen as ugly, inferior, gold-digging, egotistical, shallow and lazy?

Banter is a two way street. I see many comments about how awful Irish women are, but very few digs from women about how awful Irish men are. If all the banter is coming from just one side, when does it become just plain mean spirited?

Now that I think more about Hondasam and from what I've seen off her over the years (or however long she's been here), I don't think she cares, at all.
    She (I could be very wrong but it seems like this and is my OPINION) either sees these people as muppets and won't entertain them or get offended or she really is above being stereotyped. But she did say she doesn't think the stories are true at times so maybe she just seems them like (I think it was bluewolf that said it, paraphased) they're just angry boys who can't get women and post online.

Don't get me wrong at all, I'm not saying *you* should ignore them at all. I'm saying what I think other posters see it as. And honestly, I do know some women that would fit that type but when I saw the slag thread I just shook my head and though "f**king idiot is gonna get something kicking off with that", same thing when I read through the first few posts of the other thread about the guy who met a bitchy girl
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    Any other forum I'd agree with you but not here. Generalizations are commonplace when someone is aggrieved about something. Some guys will always say something that most other wont agree with and there will always be posters being dicks in someones eyes.

There are attractive Irish women yes but I'd agree with the point that Irish women as a whole are not as physically attractive as maybe Lithuanian women. You prefer Irish/British men so we have established that opinion is valid. Problem is with posters who post in a certain way, and given that this is the one forum on the site where that type of posting is commonplace I see no problem with it.

9 out of 10 discussion I'm involved in has someone being a dick and has me frustrated to the point I'd love to tell them to go fcuk themselves. Is there really a difference in saying "Irish women are manky" "You on your period?" and "Retards listen to that music" "Grow some balls and man the fcuk up" ?? No there isnt. With the amount of men on the site there is going to be more men's views than women, you cant cry victim and have then censored to even it out.

If a poster is doing something they shouldnt you report it. If they are not doing anything wrong but their opinion or posting manner gets under your skin then thats your issue annoying as it is.

Okay I'm a fella so I'll tell you what I think of those four things:
    1: muppet and infract him/her (if it seems a serious opinion)
    2: muppet and warn (unless it's clear they're joking)
    3: On the fence, can we just shoot the fecker? :D
    4: muppet and depending on what it was said to (like the second one), infract them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

You lot really do argue about anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say with the general trend towards it being less and less socially acceptable to be sexist, the internet and AH even more so are a bit of a release for people with a little bit of sexism bubbling under the surface.

Conversely, I don't think sexism against men on a cultural level has ever been as nasty or as prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

4: muppet and depending on what it was said to (like the second one), infract them

Infract them for what ? Having a preference when it comes to women ? Annoying someone with that opinion ? Just for having an opinion ?

Your talking about tailoring the rules of the forum to suit peoples sensibilities. Thats not possible.

Infract them for what ? Having a preference when it comes to women ? Annoying someone with that opinion ? Joking about it ?

Your talking about tailoring the rules of the forum to suit peoples sensibilities. Thats not possible.

Oh but it really, really is.
    There are often serious threads (like the thread about rape the other day). A banning took place because someone made a joke.

Certain topics are serious. Certain topics are funny.

Someone could have a near enough same situation and a slightly minor thing could make it funny and it's fine to post jokes. Other times it could be very serious and a mod warning is thrown down.

But yes annoying someone is being a muppet and it's not allowed. Now granted, if I say "sure the other night I met this drunken tart, she was grinding of fellas non stop and hands were going everywhere" when someone posts a thread about something like their friend being drunk and doing stupid things, that could be seen as ruining the thread and could be met with a warning or infraction.

AH is lenient but it's not a free for all. It can be dealt on a case by case basis at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Youre taking the piss i hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It doesn't bother you at all that you, as an Irish woman, are automatically seen as ugly, inferior, gold-digging, egotistical, shallow and lazy?

Banter is a two way street. I see many comments about how awful Irish women are, but very few digs from women about how awful Irish men are. If all the banter is coming from just one side, when does it become just plain mean spirited?

I would be the first one to defend someone if I felt they were treated unfair/nasty.

It's not that it doesn't bother me it's because I know it's not true.
    I take it with a pinch of salt most of the time. Some posters are out to have a laugh but are to immature to see it's not funny.
    I think in time everyone realises when an OP is trying to be funny but failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Nah, our best looking ones are much better looking than their average ones. I've seen some truly jaw-dropping women on these shores. And yes, they were Irish.

I didn't really mean it, tons of rides everywhere - some guys prefer rounded features (like me), some prefer razor-edge cheekbones (because it's exotic?).

Regarding the "Irish girls are ugly, inferior, gold-digging, egotistical, shallow and lazy" meme, I guess it shows if you're a glass half-full type or not.

Replace 'girls' with 'guys' there and I'd agree with that generalisation as well.

Maybe girls are prone to half-full glasses and guys are all half-empty, so girls don't whinge about it that way, or at least, not on the internet (I've sat through many a demolition of some poor fella's character through the years. Sounds much the same as the misogynist threads on boards, but in real life).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Raekwon wrote: »
    You're joking right? By you're estimation Irish women are more attractive then women from Scandinavia countries, Mediterranean countries, The Baltic states, etc, etc. Even the most level headed Irish woman would tell you that there is absolutely no truth in that statement and that your logic is totally and utterly flawed.

Plus you can't mention Slovakian women without mentioning women from Czech Rep or Hungary ditto Croatian women without mentioning Serbian, Slovenian, Bosnian women. Plus Switzerland is mainly made up of people from immigrant backgrounds so saying Swiss women are great without mentioning women from Germany, Italy, Austria, The Former Yugoslavia or Turkey is very short-sighted.

By the sounds of it you haven't been to many European countries and are basing your blinkered and totally bias argument for Irish women being more attractive then their European counterparts on working in a multinational :rolleyes:

Judging by this post, and the many many MANY others you appear to have made on the same subject, some Irish woman must have screwed you up GOOD at some stage. Baggage, much? I'd hate for someone to have cast such a long shadow over my life. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Gbear wrote: »
    Conversely, I don't think sexism against men on a cultural level has ever been as nasty or as prevalent.

No. It really hasn't been.

But by all means amidst all the "Irish women are fat/sluts/bitches/ugly/prudish/shallow" threads tell me about how the men are being oppressed. I care so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Some guys will always say something that most other wont agree with and there will always be posters being dicks in someones eyes.

There are attractive Irish women yes but I'd agree with the point that Irish women as a whole are not as physically attractive as maybe Lithuanian women. You prefer Irish/British men so we have established that opinion is valid.

If a poster is doing something they shouldnt you report it. If they are not doing anything wrong but their opinion or posting manner gets under your skin then thats your issue annoying as it is.

Yes this is the problem and something I find annoying. Some people can't differentiate between an opinion and an insult. If someone says they have a preference for something, that doesn't mean they hate the opposite. Of course some people will just insult an entire group of people, but don't put them in the same category as the people you have a genuine opinion.

I think you've made yourself quite clear so I don't think I should converse with you again. I removed what I originally had written since I thought you'd be more level headed now.

Oh but it really, really is.
    There are often serious threads (like the thread about rape the other day). A banning took place because someone made a joke.

Certain topics are serious. Certain topics are funny.

Someone could have a near enough same situation and a slightly minor thing could make it funny and it's fine to post jokes. Other times it could be very serious and a mod warning is thrown down.

That was different, that was taking the piss out of a real person getting raped. That just cant be accepted no matter where it is, likewise making light of depression or serious issues like that.

If its general talk about peoples interests or preferences or opinions then you know what your going to get in AH. If you want a serious discussion then you take it to the relevant forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Now that I think more about Hondasam and from what I've seen off her over the years (or however long she's been here), I don't think she cares, at all.
    She (I could be very wrong but it seems like this and is my OPINION) either sees these people as muppets and won't entertain them or get offended or she really is above being stereotyped. But she did say she doesn't think the stories are true at times so maybe she just seems them like (I think it was bluewolf that said it, paraphased) they're just angry boys who can't get women and post online.

You got it in a nutshell.
    In RL I would not even consider entertaining bull**** but this is the internet and people will say what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Any other forum I'd agree with you but not here. Generalizations are commonplace when someone is aggrieved about something. Some guys will always say something that most other wont agree with and there will always be posters being dicks in someones eyes.

There are attractive Irish women yes but I'd agree with the point that Irish women as a whole are not as physically attractive as maybe Lithuanian women. You prefer Irish/British men so we have established that opinion is valid. Problem is with posters who post in a certain way, and given that this is the one forum on the site where that type of posting is commonplace I see no problem with it.

9 out of 10 discussion I'm involved in has someone being a dick and has me frustrated to the point I'd love to tell them to go fcuk themselves. Is there really a difference in saying "Irish women are manky" "You on your period?" and "Retards listen to that music" "Grow some balls and man the fcuk up" ?? No there isnt. With the amount of men on the site there is going to be more men's views than women, you cant cry victim and have then censored to even it out.

Why should the fact that there's more men on this site than women have any place in this discussion at all? How do we even know for definite that there are more men than women on boards? The census that people have referred to in this thread is from 2005.

The examples you've given in your post (i.e. "Irish women are manky" "you on your period?") are different to the others in that they reference the person's gender. If someone was to say that all black people are manky, or all disabled people are manky, I'm sure most people on AH and IRL would be up in arms about it. Why isn't it the same for women?

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Youre taking the piss i hope.
    Oh right, sorry!
    I meant shoot all of them :D
    That was different, that was taking the piss out of a real person getting raped. That just cant be accepted no matter where it is, likewise making light of depression or serious issues like that.

If its general talk about peoples interests or preferences or opinions then you know what your going to get in AH. If you want a serious discussion then you take it to the relevant forum.

This is very relevant forum. It's not as if there's a special forum for "bitching about the other gender".

Certain things can be serious and there's nothing wrong with expecting one here. Just like it'll get bundled it with jokes but being a muppet isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Well it looks like us Irish women have left a lasting impression on the male mind. There are some stuck up women out there but I see man after man throwing themselves at these women so you only have yourself to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you want a serious discussion then you take it to the relevant forum.

If I couldn't make fun of my depressive bullshit, I'd be much more depressed.
    It makes it feel like it has less of a grasp on me.
    Making fun of somebody for having depression, bad, making fun of depression, good.

I think you've made yourself quite clear so I don't think I should converse with you again. I removed what I originally had written since I thought you'd be more level headed now.

Okay heres what I see is going on:

Dozens of threads calling women fat bitches.

"ah sure its only a bit of banter, stop playing victim"

I make a comment that men are not oppressed (because they're really not)
    and the men get their feelings hurt. Srs business time.

You see, men are actually NOT akay with "funny banter" when its used against them

Why should the fact that there's more men on this site than women have any place in this discussion at all? How do we even know for definite that there are more men than women on boards? The census that people have referred to in this thread is from 2005.

The examples you've given in your post (i.e. "Irish women are manky" "you on your period?") are different to the others in that they reference the person's gender. If someone was to say that all black people are manky, or all disabled people are manky, I'm sure most people on AH and IRL would be up in arms about it. Why isn't it the same for women?

Well I'm assuming there are more men here than women based on my own experience. And its relevant because if you have more men you get more men's opinions and therefore a higher number of "dicks" who get under peoples skin in a discussion on women or whatever.

Nationality plays a bigger part in the first one than gender yet thats ignored because the gender bit is what irritates. Post the same thing about Irish men being less attractive on the whole and it wouldnt be as much of an issue I think.

The problem (as Daveysil15 pointed out) is that some people take "Irish women are manky" as an insult when its not, its just a rather crudely put statement that that person finds other nationalities more attractive.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    If I couldn't make fun of my depressive bullshit, I'd be much more depressed.
    It makes it feel like it has less of a grasp on me.
    Making fun of somebody for having depression, bad, making fun of depression, good.

Yeah sorry thats what I meant, I was trying to add it in with the rape thing and the fact that making light of someones serious issue isnt acceptable.

If you want to refer to your own experience in a light hearted way then thats fine, its you your talking about not someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll put it this way, if you want to call all of us a bunch of fat ugly assholes, we aren't going to claim men are being 'oppressed' by that.

Dozens of threads calling women (all women in the entire world I assume) fat bitches? What? Silly, deeply silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well I'm assuming there are more men here than women based on my own experience. And its relevant because if you have more men you get more men's opinions and therefore a higher number of "dicks" who get under peoples skin in a discussion on women or whatever.

Nationality plays a bigger part in the first one than gender yet thats ignored because the gender bit is what irritates. Post the same thing about Irish men being less attractive on the whole and it wouldnt be as much of an issue I think.

The problem (as Daveysil15 pointed out) is that some people take "Irish women are manky" as an insult when its not, its just a rather crudely put statement that that person finds other nationalities more attractive.

But its a little more than that!

"Is my fat ugly housemate a slag or a whore?" is that acceptable???

I think it would be an issue tbh. There's no reason for anyone to tar an entire gender/race/sexuality etc etc with the one brush. And regardless of whether it was Irish men or Irish women being called manky, I'd still have a problem with it. I think a lot of people would have the same reaction. I know it's just a crude way of saying it, but it's the feeling behind the language rather than the language used that I have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

proportionately speaking the only countries in Europe that have a vastly larger proportion of hot women than us are Slovakia,

just curious but have you a connection with Slovakia? i'm not sure if it was yourself but i do recall seeing a similar post to this with Slovakia as first choice followed by others etc.

i don't agree with this, because its impossible. There are good looking people all over the planet. I actually had a Slovakian friend visit one day with his other 2 Slovakian friends (couple). A Brazilian girl friend of mine was present. The Slovakian girl (not good looking at all mind) proceeded to question my friend about Brazil etc "oh Brazil, you are from, very good looking" then she took her finger and made the 'sick signal' in her mouth: "irish girls... uck!"

now, here's me, finding offence to this remark on my own floor, i got up from my chair and said: "please leave, take your friends and don't come in here again making stupid insulting remarks about my fellow irish women".

i think i did the right thing. i mean the ****ing cheek of her to say that and i'd never met this couple before either.

This is very relevant forum. It's not as if there's a special forum for "bitching about the other gender".

Certain things can be serious and there's nothing wrong with expecting one here. Just like it'll get bundled it with jokes but being a muppet isn't good.

The gentlemen's lounge would probably be the relevant forum if you wanted a serious discussion on the behavior of some women towards men.

For serious discussion AH's isnt the right place, yes you can get it but you cant expect it and certainly cant expect it to be enforced depending on the thread or what certain people want.

Irish men being less attractive on the whole and it wouldnt be as much of an issue I think.

But NO ONE ever posts such a thing. Because men's appearances have never been held to the same scrutiny as women's. We essentially judge a woman's character based on how she looks. If she is fat or somehow ugly we devalue her as a human being, and use dehumanising gender-specific slurs against her.

And as a matter of fact, if one were to start an 'Irish men are ugly' thread, There would be a sh*t ton of bitching about it, because men are so used to judging and objectifying womens appearances, then when their own appearances are objectified they get pretty mad and whiny.

Male privilege is never having to deal with this sexism so just dismissing it as 'whiny bitches'.

I'll put it this way, if you want to call all of us a bunch of fat ugly assholes, we aren't going to claim men are being 'oppressed' by that.

Dozens of threads calling women (all women in the entire world I assume) fat bitches? What? Silly, deeply silly.
    No one is claiming that women are being oppressed by that (even though I would think that myself. But I'm not going to bring my feminist politics into this discussion lest a war begin :p)

It's the fact that people are making such crass generalisations when there is no need to. If I started a thread calling all men stupid fat **** do you seriously think it wouldn't be met with similar responses from men to what we're seeing from women on this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Judging by this post, and the many many MANY others you appear to have made on the same subject, some Irish woman must have screwed you up GOOD at some stage. Baggage, much? I'd hate for someone to have cast such a long shadow over my life. Shudder.

What was so bad about my post? I was simply replying to a poster who blatantly insulted foreign women yet his post went totally unchallenged and even got thanked multiple times :rolleyes:

So people can write absolutely drivel on here as long as you agree with them? Pfft, you're a total hypocrite. IMO you are just as bad as the male posters that you constantly seek out to oppose and push your agenda on so get off your bloody high horse Dudess Sea Filly.

• Advertisement

But NO ONE ever posts such a thing. Because men's appearances have never been held to the same scrutiny as women's. We essentially judge a woman's character based on how she looks. If she is fat or somehow ugly we devalue her as a human being, and use dehumanising gender-specific slurs against her.

And as a matter of fact, if one were to start an 'Irish men are ugly' thread, There would be a sh*t ton of bitching about it, because men are so used to judging and objectifying womens appearances, then when their own appearances are objectified they get pretty mad and whiny.

Male privilege is never having to deal with this sexism so just dismissing it as 'whiny bitches'.

I guess it would be met with, "your no oil painting yourselves yiz fat ugly frigid bitches/whores" or some such, and thats just base.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Judging by this post, and the many many MANY others you appear to have made on the same subject, some Irish woman must have screwed you up GOOD at some stage. Baggage, much? I'd hate for someone to have cast such a long shadow over my life. Yikes.

how have you come to that conclusion? from reading the post you're referring to, the poster is defending irish women.

efb wrote: »
    But its a little more than that!

"Is my fat ugly housemate a slag or a whore?" is that acceptable???

That to me reads as a crudely put "Is my flat mate I dont like promiscuous or a prostitute". Honestly I have no personal issue with it. I think people should have a bit more cop on in describing people in that way (but I can say that about lots of things) and I'd argue to the last against anyone who defended it as an accurate description of a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

But by all means amidst all the "Irish women are fat/sluts/bitches/ugly/prudish/shallow" threads tell me about how the men are being oppressed. I care so much.

I hope you're not suggesting that I was implying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Difference is, most women here really don't feel the need to carry on with all that sticks and stones playground bullsh!t. It's a mystery to me why so many grown men on AH do.

Also, I've never claimed to be oppressed. I'm just sick to the teeth of reading how awful we all are as women on a daily basis here.

Okay heres what I see is going on:

You see, men are actually NOT akay with "funny banter" when its used against them

I would ask for the dozens of threads but instead:
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Misogynistic thread is misogynistic.

This is why I was weary of trying to talk to you again. You are like a screaming child who cannot fathom they are wrong.

Then there is this:
    lonely neckbeards need spaces to express their hatred of women, I guess.

Seriously, I have no idea what pissed you off in the last few days. I really don't. But stop saying "oh this is a evil sexist topic" and then posting sexist stuff yourself.

It makes no f**king sense other than showing that you can't conduct yourself like an adult. Most of us are able to do this so far in the few threads we had since last night.

You took to screaming like a child.

• Advertisement

Actually many seem to think getting rejected on a night out equals oppression.

In response to that you get loads of (lovely) female posters saying things like "we're not all like that". Which is grand, but personally I wouldn't even justify such posts with a response.

Also, you claim you don't care because dehumanised based on your appearance is not the backround radiation of your life.

The gentlemen's lounge would probably be the relevant forum if you wanted a serious discussion on the behavior of some women towards men.

For serious discussion AH's isnt the right place, yes you can get it but you cant expect it and certainly cant expect it to be enforced depending on the thread or what certain people want.

I get tht but my point was that you shouldn't have to be forbade to discuss it. And if it is a serious topic (like the rape topic for example) a bit of seriousness should be there.

That to me reads as a crudely put "Is my flat mate I dont like promiscuous or a prostitute". Honestly I have no personal issue with it. I think people should have a bit more cop on in describing people in that way (but I can say that about lots of things) and I'd argue to the last against anyone who defended it as an accurate description of a person.

So you think thats OK for boards.ie?

I think it would be an issue tbh. There's no reason for anyone to tar an entire gender/race/sexuality etc etc with the one brush. And regardless of whether it was Irish men or Irish women being called manky, I'd still have a problem with it. I think a lot of people would have the same reaction. I know it's just a crude way of saying it, but it's the feeling behind the language rather than the language used that I have a problem with.

There isnt any reason to go generalizing about an entire group based on your own experience with a small amount of that group no, but I dont think its that offensive because I think the feeling behind the language is nothing to be upset about. If a guy says "Irish women are ugly" from reading between the lines I get "I have had bad experiences" "I have an issue with certain women who I have met" "I have high standards when it comes to women". I see nothing for anyone to take as a personal insult. The feeling behind the language is the posters person opinion which cannot reflect on anyone he hanst met.

I would ask for the dozens of threads but instead:

This is why I was weary of trying to talk to you again. You are like a screaming child who cannot fathom they are wrong.

HEY, thought we weren't going to 'converse' anymore? I am dissapointed.

Seriously, I have no idea what pissed you off in the last few days. I really don't. But stop saying "oh this is a evil sexist topic" and then posting sexist stuff yourself.

It makes no f**king sense other than showing that you can't conduct yourself like an adult. Most of us are able to do this so far in the few threads we had since last night.

You took to screaming like a child.

You. have. no idea what pissed me off on AH in the past few days??

You have no idea?

Really???

Stop tone-policing my post and leveling personal names at me.

I am not being sexist against men, I've just given up pandering to them and making concessions for their misogyny on this site, because many of them seem to not give a sh*t about the women posters feelings.

• Advertisement

Thats a worldwide image thing though and I've seen plenty of article and stuff about Irish men being ugly. We are all judged on appearance regardless of if your a man or woman. Its how you yourself relate to that is what dictates how you react to it. If "Irish women are ugly" gets to you then you clearly subscribe to judging based on appearance. Its not someone attacking you, its you and someone else looking at something the same way but seeing different things.

I wouldnt think so, I'd say the vast majority of men and women would take it in good humor.

Men deal with sexism too. And I'm not dismissing anyone as a whiny bitch I'm just saying dont take it so personally because chances are its either not personal or its coming from an idiot. Either way it shouldnt matter one fcuk to you.

In response to that you get loads of (lovely) female posters saying things like "we're not all like that". Which is grand, but personally I wouldn't even justify such posts with a response.

Also, you claim you don't care because dehumanised based on your appearance is not the backround radiation of your life.

I can guarantee that me and you have probably the exact same views on stuff like this :p But I have to say, calling the posters who say sexist stuff neckbeards and then saying all female posters are lovely is sexist itself. Yes, it's really annoying that some men are saying these things, but insulting them isn't going to make it better.
    There isnt any reason to go generalizing about an entire group based on your own experience with a small amount of that group no, but I dont think its that offensive because I think the feeling behind the language is nothing to be upset about. If a guy says "Irish women are ugly" from reading between the lines I get "I have had bad experiences" "I have an issue with certain women who I have met" "I have high standards when it comes to women". I see nothing for anyone to take as a personal insult. The feeling behind the language is the posters person opinion which cannot reflect on anyone he hanst met.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the personal experiences behind the posts. However, I'm not "upset" about what these people are saying though - I don't think any of the women and men posting in here who are against these threads are actually personally affected by these insults. They're annoying and unfair, not upsetting.

HEY, thought we weren't going to 'converse' anymore? I am dissapointed.

You. have. no idea what pissed me off on AH in the past few days??

You have no idea?

Really???

Stop tone-policing my post and leveling personal names at me.

I am not being sexist against men, I've just given up pandering to them and making concessions for their misogyny on this site, because many of them seem to not give a sh*t about the women posters feelings.

That's right, I don't. I have no idea.
    But I will guess. You don't like the fact that the are some "sexist" threads (in your opinion of course) and instead of being a good user and reporting them or talking to the mods, you screamed and retorted with your own sexist posts.

But if you feel that misogyny is rampamt here... why stay? I'm genuinely curious. Why would you stay where you are unhappy?

And since you think many of us don't seem to give a shít about the feelings of women, perhaps you should... try to play catch up on what a few of us have been doing here since you left after becoming enraged and leaving for a while.

So you think thats OK for boards.ie?

I think its ok for AH and I wouldnt report it. If others thought it wasnt on I'd have no issue if it was shut down. Personally I didnt take the OP as a serious attack on women who sleep around. Just the usual crudely put slightly interesting question about someones dealings.

I can guarantee that me and you have probably the exact same views on stuff like this :p But I have to say, calling the posters who say sexist stuff neckbeards and then saying all female posters are lovely is sexist itself. Yes, it's really annoying that some men are saying these things, but insulting them isn't going to make it better.
    Yeah, I know. But its like you see so many sexist comments on here and there is a tipping point, I guess?? Eventually you just get mad.
    I wasn't calling all the men neckbeards, I was calling the misogynistic ones neckbeards.
    And I wasn't calling all the women posters 'lovely' I was calling the ones that replied nicely to someone's post lovely.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying about the personal experiences behind the posts. However, I'm not "upset" about what these people are saying though - I don't think any of the women and men posting in here who are against these threads are actually personally affected by these insults. They're annoying and unfair, not upsetting.

Some of us have had to deal with insults like this in real life from abusive family members.
    Your experience isn't the same as mine or anyone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

Difference is, most women here really don't feel the need to carry on with all that sticks and stones playground bullsh!t. It's a mystery to me why so many grown men on AH do.

Also, I've never claimed to be oppressed. I'm just sick to the teeth of reading how awful we all are as women on a daily basis here.

I'm not saying that you did, that was aimed at a different poster. I think few or no posters here actually think all women are awful.

I don't know about the first two points, but on the third: are you so sure? I don't think you realise how much more difficult dating/scoring is for guys than for girls. Women, even fairly unattractive women, will in my experience not go single for very long. I've known many guys to go for long stretches single, and not voluntarily either. It's only worse for unattractive men, or smaller men.

Now that's fine and all, women are entitled to make whatever choices they want with guys, but to say there's no pressure regarding looks on men is incorrect. And I'd argue that it actually leads to worse outcomes in men.

Yeah, I know. But its like you see so many sexist comments on here and there is a tipping point, I guess?? Eventually you just get mad.
    I wasn't calling all the men neckbeards, I was calling the misogynistic ones neckbeards.
    And I wasn't calling all the women posters 'lovely' I was calling the ones that replied nicely to someone's post lovely.

Some of us have had to deal with insults like this in real life from abusive family members.

Okay and how do you define "misogynstic" from a jackass with a horrible sense of humour?

I'm actually curious what oyou think the correct response from my friend should have been: I was out with her and went back to hers. I've been there plenty of times and I know where the milk and whatnot is.
    I got a cup of tea from her. I wanted more sugar and she got it from me.

Was I being a misogynist because I let her get me sugar?

I'm very curious because I don't know if it was as you claimed (you just lot the rag) or you're seriously out to get every man you can and think we're all equal :(

And some of us had to deal with very sexist bosses. I had a manager that loved being one of the girls. She would talk for hours at every chance she got. If someone had to do something, she'd send the lads of. Sexism exists everywhere, family, friends, work, boards.ie. You just need to learn how to deal with it.

I think its ok for AH and I wouldnt report it. If others thought it wasnt on I'd have no issue if it was shut down. Personally I didnt take the OP as a serious attack on women who sleep around. Just the usual crudely put slightly interesting question about someones dealings.

did you not think it was offensive to the OP's housemate, or does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Raekwon wrote: »
    What was so bad about my post? I was simply replying to a poster who blatantly insulted foreign women yet his post went totally unchallenged and even got thanked multiple times :rolleyes:

So people can write absolutely drivel on here as long as you agree with them? Pfft, you're a total hypocrite. IMO you are just as bad as the male posters that you constantly seek out to oppose and push your agenda on so get off your bloody high horse Dudess Sea Filly.

Dudess? Also, I have nothing against women from other countries at all.

Nope, just had a look back at your MANY previous posts on the subject. (God bless the search facility) You put WWWWAAAAAY too much effort into "proving" why Irish women are so much more unattractive than other nationalities. It's kinda odd, TBH. Why would you put so much consideration into it? And how can you get annoyed at that poster insulting foreign women when you do the same of Irish women? Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz.

Oh, and going by your logic, I guess Irish men are swampdonkeys too? We're all from the same stagnant gene pool after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

did you not think it was offensive to the OP's housemate, or does that matter?

Ah jaysus....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement