Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-women threads in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Can I hire you BD? I have paypal if that helps. Play it right and you could have queue of mods and users getting in line for your services. Nice little earner, don't tell the revenue. :D

Yeah but I can imagine your one is going to be "tell Devore he's an idiot and you want to be banned" so I don't want to risk it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is there any pattern to when these threads show up e.g. school holidays?

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Reported for impersonating a mod.
    I was doing a humorous impression. It's satire! Not at all impersonation :D
    Is there any pattern to when these threads show up e.g. school holidays?
    Usually about 3AM. That's when we find the most bitter of rejected people about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Misunderstanding.

Onixx wrote: »
    Nobody's trying to change anything, the person who started this thread is not here mere weeks. You've made your indifference to the grievances very clear anyway, which isn't great for a mod of this forum, whom is have thought would exercise impartiality here.

In fairness he didn't say exactly what he was talking about. I assume he probably was talking about me since I did send a PM about what I thought of things.

In either case he's one mod. The rest could disagree with him. Or he could just be honest and he's posting as a user and not a mod.

Or we can just shoot him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Fuckity fuck, i got my wires crossed here. There was another matter about banning something that popped up earlier i disagreed with, hence the post about change.
    So sorry!! Im not a sexist btw :p

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Fuckity fuck, i got my wires crossed here. There was another matter about banning something that popped up earlier i disagreed with, hence the post about change.

Okay look how about we just have me speak for from now on?

And of course you're not a sexist, nobody is a sexist.

But racism... it's always the Ying Dynasty isn't it Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Quality.
    And I agreed with you an all, how bad does that make me look :pac:

Okay look how about we just have me speak for from now on?

And of course you're not a sexist, nobody is a sexist.

But racism... it's always the Ying Dynasty isn't it Ted.

I must look like a massive twat now, trying to show indifference to sexism.
    *backs away slowly*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I must look like a massive twat now, trying to show indifference to sexism.
    *backs away slowly*

To be fair, you looked like a massive twat before it :p

• Advertisement

I wouldn't view what's being talked about as sexism tbh, just being a dick.

Wouldn't agree with banning jokes about women either. Just a clampdown on acting the dick, male or female.

To be fair, you looked like a massive twat before it :p

:D
    I should do a father ted-like slideshow to show i am not a sexist.
    (no free drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

didnt realise anybody took AH threads this seriously!!!!

It's just banter for the most part, guarantee every lad on here being sarcastic about women loves their mothers/sisters/daughters dearly and respect women 100%.

didnt realise anybody took AH threads this seriously!!!!

It's just banter for the most part, guarantee every lad on here being sarcastic about women loves their mothers/sisters/daughters dearly and respect women 100%.

Something things have to be taken seriously. Like Keith and his blatant sexism. Only the slideshow will reveal the real man.

Here Keith, any chance instead of a bunch of Maoris you can get a bunch of piereced butch lesbians and bears?:p

Here Keith, any chance instead of a bunch of Maoris you can get a bunch of piereced butch lesbians and bears?:p

Ah here, You know Maori bashing is against the charter.

Ah here, You know Maori bashing is against the charter.
    I wasn't aware Maoris were all one gender :D

Wouldn't agree with banning jokes about women either. Just a clampdown on acting the dick, male or female.

I know you are relatively new here but this discussion comes up time and time again. A few threads get posted up and a handful of posters act the dick and all of a sudden we have a "tar AH with the same brush" effect.

The most powerful weapon you, the community, have is this report.gif.
    Report posts, we can't see everything and never claim too. If the community find something unacceptable it will be unacceptable.

I know you are relatively new here but this discussion comes up time and time again. A few threads get posted up and a handful of posters act the dick and all of a sudden we have a "tar AH with the same brush" effect.

Report posts, we can't see everything and never claim too. If the community find something unacceptable it will be unacceptable.

Actually I might aswell ask. Let's say we do report a post and give it oh say... 48 hours and it's not deleted. Is it fine to PM a mod and ask them why it was allowed (or atl east why we think it should be deleted so we can get clarifaction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We get this thread every few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It certainly doesn't feel like banter to me. And "banter" is the usual excuse of men who hate women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Actually I might aswell ask. Let's say we do report a post and give it oh say... 48 hours and it's not deleted. Is it fine to PM a mod and ask them why it was allowed (or atl east why we think it should be deleted so we can get clarifaction)

We don't usually delete posts.

We either infract or ban and the post is left as an example as to whats not allowed to be posted.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    We don't usually delete posts.

We either infract or ban and the post is left as an example as to whats not allowed to be posted.

Oh sorry. I'm still thinking of other sites :P

But yeah it goes warning = yellow card, infaction = red and banning is basically "Mod Note: User was banned for this post"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Oh sorry. I'm still thinking of other sites :P

But yeah it goes warning = yellow card, infaction = red and banning is basically "Mod Note: User was banned for this post"?

You'll see the red or yellow card at the bottom of the post or a mod message to say the person is banned. If say a couple of days pass and nothing is done, then you could report it again or pm a mod.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You'll see the red or yellow card at the bottom of the post or a mod message to say the person is banned. If say a couple of days pass and nothing is done, then you could report it again or pm a mod.

Ah I see, thank you.

BTW, is Sharpshooter the new name of Hot Lips? Because they have a lot in common, fan of Bret Hart, active in the night, quoting and replying as to why a thread is locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I think it humorous that certain people who have been here mere weeks are trying to change AH. Im not going to walk into your house and tell you to change the carpets.

You own/rent AH? ;)

• Advertisement

Raekwon wrote: »
    It was obviously done in jest as you're clearly not even in the same league as Dudess.

Lulz, yeah right, that wasn't done in jest, you're claiming that now seeing as people pointed how dumb it was.

And even if it was done in jest, it still suggests a fixation on that erstwhile poster. ;););););););)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

What? I'm not reading through 29 pages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

The reason Irish women are slated on here whilst Irish men aren't is because there's no nationality of men who're significantly better than Irish men.

When an Irish man comes into contact with an eastern european/asian woman, he often notes how she ooze femininity. If he's in a relationship with one of them, he notes how she treats him like a king. In reality, she doesn't ooze femininity, she just simply acts like a female as females are meant to. She doesn't treat him like a king, she simply has RESPECT for men as women are meant to.

Men are for the most part always going to be proud of being men. But in the Western world women have had their minds plagued with feminism, which has made them deeply ashamed of their femininity on an unconscious, psychological level.

0.59 : "Wake up. Who cares about little boys
    That talk too much?"

What? I'm not reading through 29 pages

So you'd like someone to summarise it all for you?

Eh, no. That's not how this place works.

• Advertisement

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    The reason Irish women are slated on here whilst Irish men aren't is because there's no nationality of men who're significantly better than Irish men.

When an Irish man comes into contact with an eastern european/asian woman, he often notes how she ooze femininity. If he's in a relationship with one of them, he notes how she treats him like a king. In reality, she doesn't ooze femininity, she just simply acts like a female as females are meant to. She doesn't treat him like a king, she simply has RESPECT for men as women are meant to.

Men are for the most part always going to be proud of being men. But in the Western world women have had their minds plagued with feminism, which has made them deeply ashamed of their femininity on an unconscious, psychological level.

Okay but where's the respect for women?

But in the Western world women have had their minds plagued with feminism, which has made them deeply ashamed of their femininity on an unconscious, psychological level.

Sorry, what?

Mod

johnjoe, leave the same way you came in.

Don't post in this thread again.

Okay I still don't know how do the multi quote thing so my apologises but:
    No, we're not. Going up to a girl in a club and dancing with her and ramming my tongue down her throat isn't chivalrous at all.

Yes, they'll be very happy with men who care about them and respect them. Some Irish men can do that. Some are immature and think it's the women's fault.

You're right, you can give SOME women everything and they want more. But at least you finally go from "Irish women are inferior" to "women are inferior". So kudos on the great step forward.

So erm am I meant to leave this post or delete since the chap can't post again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Feminism doesn't try to make women "deeply ashamed of their femininity" :confused: I'm a feminist and I've a lot of stereotypical feminine interests such as make up and clothes and kittens. Any woman I know who calls themselves a feminist is extremely proud of being a woman, well as proud as someone can be of something that they've no control over.

The definition of feminism from dictionary.com is "the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men". Equal to those of men, not superior, which is what a lot of people seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mod

johnjoe, leave the same way you came in.

Don't post in this thread again.

He should be more careful on the way out. By the sounds of things, he whacked his head pretty hard on the door coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

How is it that when women give out about men it's the man's fault. But when men give out about women it still the mans fault and the man is labelled as a woman hater?

368100 wrote: »
    How is it that when women give out about men it's the man's fault. But when men give out about women it still the mans fault and the man is labelled as a woman hater?

Because usually women do it with a bit of laughter.

Hard to do with text only but something like "I was with a girlfriend for a few months, she wanted to move in together so we did, then she felt she needed her on space. Women, can't ever make their minds up :D".

It's all about context. Most guys just forget that on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There's a ludicrous fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Because society for the past however many millenia has been dominated by male thinking. You can put feminism in terms of maybe 150 years. Prior to that there were uprisings and great feminist thinkers, but really feminism has only come into the limelight when women started looking for the vote. Even moreso feminism as a struggle for female equality has only been happening for the past 50 or 60 years. And feminism as a struggle for female idendity separate and equal to masculinity has only been happening for the past few decades.

A lot of people who have problems with feminism seem to think it's about equality. It is about equality but it's not the broadness of equality they're thinking about. They think that women should be allowed to do the same things men do, and think the same things men do, and act the same way men do. Really, true equality is about feminine aspects being equal to masculine aspects. That woman are empowered and free of fear and intimidation to be as female as they want to be without recourse (somewhat achieved) or retribution (somewhat less achieved.)

• Advertisement

Because usually women do it with a bit of laughter.

Hard to do with text only but something like "I was with a girlfriend for a few months, she wanted to move in together so we did, then she felt she needed her on space. Women, can't ever make their minds up :D".

It's all about context. Most guys just forget that on the internet

lol pizza or chinese "women/men cant ever make their minds up", moving in then wanting space ummmmmm....... i could see a "i'd knock the b1tch out" resurfacing for that one!!!!! and that's just it really it's an easy thing to say over the web for a cheap laugh with minimal to zero offence intended!!!!

Will note who thanks this post with amused interest. :cool::pac:

There is some of that, I'd grant you, and it's not right. If the woman is in the wrong, she's in the wrong.

Do you *actually* believe/agree with the nutty post above that you gave a thumbs up to, by the way? Basically claiming women are inferior to men and should serve them like kings, and all Irish men are really superior? :confused:

lol pizza or chinese "women/men cant ever make their minds up", moving in then wanting space ummmmmm....... i could see a "i'd knock the b1tch out" resurfacing for that one!!!!! and that's just it really it's an easy thing to say over the web for a cheap laugh with minimal to zero offence intended!!!!

Yeah but if the story isn't told as a funny story and someone makes an offensive joke (like knocking the bitch out), that's what gets feelings rising.
    At least if I did tell a humorous story about some woman shooting me down and someone said "should have just knock her out :P", it'd be clear everything was meant in jest.

I think most of the problem comes down to lack of smilies from men.

Since men are afraid to show their feelings, the cowards. :D

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Will note who thanks this post with amused interest. :cool::pac:

What can I say...I like to amuse

The thread on international penis sizes would suggest otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

It is the same group of guys over and over all right.

How do you know?

What can I say...I like to amuse

Wha'?

Yeah but if the story isn't told as a funny story and someone makes an offensive joke (like knocking the bitch out), that's what gets feelings rising.
    At least if I did tell a humorous story about some woman shooting me down and someone said "should have just knock her out :P", it'd be clear everything was meant in jest.

I think most of the problem comes down to lack of smilies from men.

Since men are afraid to show their feelings, the cowards. :D

yeah but common sense .....the demographics of Boards are likely dominated by 15-25 year olds with decent intellects and probably 0.000000000001% of them male or female would ever "knock any b1tch out" or disrespect women/men in any way, other than sarcastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Nodin wrote: »
    We get this thread every few months.

Would this fact not indicate that there is something wrong in AH though? I know it may seem like hypersensitivity but when every time you log on to AH, there's a thread or a comment which either subtly or less than subtly paints your entire gender in a negative light, when you are constantly arguing against misogyny, whether joking or thinly veiled, when you are reticent about opening certain threads because you just *know* that there will be something that infuriates you or upsets you, it gets tiring and very draining. Reporting every one of these posts, especially those that individually seem to be innocent or on the line but when viewed as part of a bigger issue form a different picture, is time consuming. It also puts the onus on the offended party to police others' behaviour, not on the offenders to police their own. (Note, the mods do a great job and are always quick to respond--that's not my issue.)

If it's not something you've experienced based on your gender/race/whatever, it's easy to miss. I, for example, would never claim to know the racism a person of a different race or ethnicity faces in subtle, grating, niggling comments on the internet. At the same time, I'd never tell them that it was just banter, that it was a few bad eggs giving everyone else a bad name or that they were reading too much into those posts. Whatever the reason for it, if a certain forum is upsetting and alienating a whole raft of people, the issue isn't with those taking offence. And it's not just one or two who have been offended on AH.

There has been a wealth of decent, intelligent, funny female posters who have brought this up time and time again. One by one, I've seen them all drop off, too sick of the negativity or the constant battles to keep on posting.

Speaking for myself, I got tired of feeling like a humourless, shrill, joyless moaner who was always on at a certain cadre of posters who have some really fucked up views about women. It's not who I am -- IRL, I'm actually quite happy-go-lucky -- and I really didn't like who I was becoming on here.

AH and Ranting and Raving were the two forums that prompted me to sign up to Boards in the first place. Some of the best threads on Boards get started here and there are some fantastic posters here. I am not trying to tar the whole place with one brush. Sometimes, though, those bad few who are acting the dick are enough to make the whole forum unpleasant to be around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement