Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Irish Women

• 15-07-2012 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Are really successful.

The last two Presidents, Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson were excellent ambassadors and changed the role of President from a retired old male politician's club to something that can be used to sell Ireland internationally and use their position to highlight concerns regarding Human Rights across the globe.

Our most Recent T&F Olympic Medalist Sonia O'Sullivan, excelled in her sport for years. Katie Taylor 4 times world champion and ambassador for her sport.

I just want to add some balance to the very negative threads that have been on AH lately regarding women, Irish women in particular, so thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

An anti man thread would have been better.
    Like all Irish men don't know how to cook/do the washing up/use a washing machine and need mammy to do everything. They're always only interested in sex. None of them move out. They never pay on nights out. They think if they pay a girl a drink it means they get sex.

Lots of things to say! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

An anti man thread would have been better.
    Like all Irish men don't know how to cook/do the washing up/use a washing machine and need mammy to do everything. They're always only interested in sex. None of them move out. They never pay on nights out. They think if they pay a girl a drink it means they get sex.

Lots of things to say! :D

I know this is an alien concept to most boardsies (myself included) but I was going for a positive thread rather than a negative one!

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz!

efb wrote: »
    I know this is an alien concept to most boardsies (myself included) but I was going for a positive thread rather than a negative one!

Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz!

Ah I know, I was just having a laugh.

Truth me told I dunno any famous Irish women (or men) really.

But I'll tell you a story of a mate's girlfriend who (after meeing him that night for the first time) pretty much dragged him all the way to safety because she was worried about him.

Well most of my mates that score guys are guys, and girls are girls, so we can't play the gender card! But we know how we think so thats an advantage I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yawn... seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Not famous but I'll go anyway: my older sister. Completed a degree and PhD while raising two kids, on her own for most of it. This included driving half the length of the country to speak at a conference in front of a couple of hundred people about 6 hours after our father died. Woman is fcuking unstoppable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

wrong thread buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

two wimmen in a non job is not success, just window dressing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Stop fishing for thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

By highligting it you are just propagating the prolem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Are really successful.

The last two Presidents, Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson were excellent ambassadors

Our most Recent T&F Olympic Medalist Sonia O'Sullivan, excelled in her sport for years. Katie Taylor 4 times world champion and ambassador for her sport.

Wow you managed to find 4 successful Irish women. Well done! You could find 4 successful women from any country.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Wow you managed to find 4 successful Irish women. Well done! You could find 4 successful women from any country.

But these women are Irish! Imagine! Four, that's right FOUR women from Ireland that are good. It's unspeakable! Personally, I had to track down all four women to see if what the OP said was true.

From some of the bashing about how Irish women are horrible that goes on in AH, I'm not sure what ot think. Surely the posts here are 100% accurate and not at all biased?

No, this is not sarcasm, I'm 100% super serial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Lulz at the thread title. :D

Nice lampooning, OP! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Never knew Katie Taylor was a woman.:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

FearDark wrote: »
    Yawn... seriously.

This is a fascinating, thought-provoking post. Kudos.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    so thought I'd get the ball rolling!

there's lots more than 4!, I wasn't going to name them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How exactly are the two Mary's excellent ambassadors for for Ireland? They just shook hands, smiled, a little speech here and there and plenty of head nodding from Mary Robinson and got well paid for it. When Ireland went into recession Robinson had the cheek to solely blame the Irish people for causing it :rolleyes: The very same people that are now paying her a fat pension. Don't bite the hand that feeds you Mary ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How exactly are the two Mary's excellent ambassadors for for Ireland? They just shook hands, smiled, a little speech here and there and plenty of head nodding from Mary Robinson and got well paid for it. When Ireland went into recession Robinson had the cheek to solely blame the Irish people for causing it :rolleyes: The very same people that are now paying her a fat pension. Don't bite the hand that feeds you Mary ;)

Were was the word in my text.

Who exactly caused the Irish recession? The Lehman Bros????

• Advertisement

Who exactly caused the Irish recession? The Lehman Bros????
    Banks, Politicians, business people and the Irish public. Do you know what solely means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If women are so great why can't they bring out the bins.?

kneemos wrote: »
    If women are so great why can't they bring out the bins.?

If men are so great why don't we do it for them? :D

Banks, Politicians, business people and the Irish public. Do you know what solely means?

Are all these Irish?

Are all these Irish?
    Is that you Mary:rolleyes:

Is that you Mary:rolleyes:

I wish!

Advertisement