Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog not eating

• 15-07-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We have a 10 month old dashund/jack russell cross. he hasn't been eating her dog food the last week. We went away lat week and i got my brother to come and live int he house for the week to mind her but he wouldn't eat any dog food for him.

Instead he gave her food from the table. I haven't changed her dog food at all, its the same brand for the lat month. I noticed before we left he wasn't eating great but thought it was because she knew something was going on.

I don't want to get her into the habit if eating food from the table. he barely ate her dog food yesterday.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Lambo28 wrote: »
    We have a 10 month old dashund/jack russell cross. he hasn't been eating her dog food the last week. We went away lat week and i got my brother to come and live int he house for the week to mind her but he wouldn't eat any dog food for him.

Instead he gave her food from the table. I haven't changed her dog food at all, its the same brand for the lat month. I noticed before we left he wasn't eating great but thought it was because she knew something was going on.

I don't want to get her into the habit if eating food from the table. he barely ate her dog food yesterday.

Any advice?

Maybe your dog was upset with you been away so wouldn't eat?

Probably what is happening now is your dog realises the food he gets from the table is 'nicer' than his own so he refuses to eat it.

The thing to do is put his normal food down for 10 minutes and if he doesn't eat it straight away, take the bowl up. After a while when he realises there is no other food available, he should eat it.

What food are you feeding at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

I thought that aswell but then remembered he want eating great a couple of day before we left. My brother was feeding her off the table which i dont want her to get in the habit of.

Ive her on puppy pedigree food, she's on it the lat month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I thought that aswell but then remembered he want eating great a couple of day before we left. My brother was feeding her off the table which i dont want her to get in the habit of.

Ive her on puppy pedigree food, she's on it the lat month or so

To be honest, none of the Pedigree dog foods would be great.

If she wasn't eating before you left maybe you need to change food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

i got my brother to come and live int he house for the week to mind her but he wouldn't eat any dog food .

lol

i had a problem like this before ,
    leave the food down for the dog , if she doesnt take it , pic it up and try again later , or just ad a small amount of scraps to the food , should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

I think il change her food to cairn(i think thats the one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Most dogs refuse to eat their own food because they are holding out for the yummy people food that they got before.

If you just hold your ground and keep offering the dogs food every 3 hours for 10 minutes at a time until it decides it's hungry enough to eat and then every 8 hours afterwards, it will be fine.

The mistake most people make is giving in to the dog and feeding it what it wants, rather than it's own food, making the cycle repeatable and heartbreaking for the owner. You need to teach the dog it's feeding time, menu and the consequences of not eating on schedule is hunger until the next feeding time.

Believe me, after a few days of being strict with the dog, it will have no choice but to eat it's own food, or die, and it's natural instinct to live will force it to eat, a dog will never allow itself to starve, once you've done it, and it is hard to watch a dog refuse meal after meal, it will learn it has no choice in the matter, and you'll have done your dog a massive service in the long term.

I know alot of people would wimp out after 12-24 hours, but you need to stay mentally strong until it starts to eat it's own food again, and then lavish it with praise and love once it does.

Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sheriffz

I'd recommend Redmills if you're planning on changing the food.

Advertisement